13 Eagle Street
Asheville, NC 28801Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.limonesrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 8282522327
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 10:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Mexican
- Executive Chef: Hugo Ramirez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Limones Restaurant
Around the corner from the Fine Arts Theater in downtown Asheville, Limones Restaurant provides an inspirational mix of Mexican and Californian cuisine along with inventive bar selections served by a warm, professional staff. Long before working and training under some of San Francisco’s most talented chefs, Hugo Ramirez was raised on the intense and varied flavors native to his hometown of Mexico City. In fact, he still calls on his mother for the secrets of traditional Mexican dishes, which he reinvents in innovative and surprising ways. At Limones, Hugo’s love of Mexican food is combined with his training in french-influenced California cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Limones Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Asheville ›
Limones Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
399 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (328)neighborhood gem (211)special occasion (193)romantic (116)hot spot (106)good for groups (50)great for brunch (50)notable wine list (48)vibrant bar scene (31)late-night find (22)great for lunch (15)kid-friendly (6)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great place!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/28/2014We eat here as often as we can. The menu changes, and we are always very happy with the food. The dishes often have different flavors that blend well together. The chef is awesome! The service is impeccable. We love this place.Special Features:
- Great FindOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/27/2014Loved the margaritas and ceviche. Our entrees were top not too. Elevated Latin influenced cuisine. We were there on a Monday night and those without reservations we waiting at least 1 1/2 hours for a table.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/26/2014One of our favorite restaurants in Asheville. Great service and wonderful food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/25/2014Limones was recommended highly by a friend; our expectations may have been too high. The margaritas, (loved the Caliente), were delicious, but the food and the service were a mixed bag. My husband had the beef tacos and really enjoyed them, I had the duck quesadilla - odd flavor pairings with bbq sauce overwhelming the dish. Our waiter was good once he got to us but slow in getting there. Overall, an odd vibe to the place.
- freddieDined on 10/25/2014Second time we ate there on our visit to Asheville. Service was friendly and outstanding. Food was different than the usual. Enjoyed it. Look forward to next visit. Recommended by friend last year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LimonesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/25/2014Limoges is our favorite lunch spot in Asheville. The waiters are very helpful and know their stuff. The food is great and so are the cocktails. The decor is really neat. Sometimes the lunch menu is limited because even after noon the focus is more on breakfast type entrees, but it is all goodSpecial Features:
- a great dinner/relaxing atmosphereestarDined on 10/23/2014Every bite was delicious. Service was great and ambiance was relaxed, low key, and accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- freddieDined on 10/23/2014Great, ate there twice. Service was excellent and helpful. Food was unusual and delicious. Bar scene was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- persnickityPERSNICKITYDined on 10/21/2014The restaurant is trying to deliver up interesting dishes, but needs work. Everything was fresh,but needed improved seasoning. Good imaginative cocktails that tasted good too!Special Features:
- Not up to expectationsBryanVIPDined on 10/21/2014Food mediocre and service slow. Several items came straggling out after other were finished
- panabeDined on 10/19/2014it was a complete surprise. the food was execelent!!!! the different flavors in one plate was extraordinary. the appetizers were top notch. the ceviche with guacamole was beyond words. i taught that we had the dest ceviche in the world, but this one was up to par.Special Features:
- Not my best experience at LimonesSydneyDined on 10/19/2014Limones is my favorite restaurant in Asheville so I was SO excited to share it with my friends from New Orleans. We were all a bit disappointed. The ceviche which is usually out of the world was just ordinary. The entrees were just big and not interesting. I have not been to Limones in about 6 months....what happened? Will try again and I hope Limones will get back on track.Special Features:
- NapperDined on 10/18/2014This place continues to be top notch and is our preference in Asheville for a special night out.Special Features:
- Limoneslovetoeat24Dined on 10/18/2014I read how good Limones is so I tried to make a reservation for Sat. night. The only time available was 5:00. We went, started with divine cocktails and ordered appetizers since we weren't hungry. The civeche was amazing, but would like to have tried an entree also.Special Features:
- An Asheville GemWinslowDined on 10/18/2014This is my husband’s favorite restaurant in a town filled with quality restaurants. We brought four out-of-town guests for brunch last Sunday and they were raving about the food. The menu descriptions don’t do the actual taste justice. The service was excellent too!Special Features:
- Amazing BrunchLobsterNachosDined on 10/18/2014I took friends from out of town and they were super impressed. We had the Saturday morning brunch. We ordered the lobster nachos, and there were actual huge chunks of delicious lobster in there! For only $9, we felt like it was a steal. We all ordered off the breakfast menu and loved everything we got. We were very impressed at the reasonable prices for such delicious food and good portion sizes. We all had leftovers that reheated nicely. The service was great, very attentive and quick with the food :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply wonderfulVisitorDined on 10/17/2014The food is creative and incredibly delicious. Service is excellent. Will plan to return every time I visit Asheville.Special Features:
- Favorite in AshevilleRanditoVIPDined on 10/16/2014My wife and I just returned from a vacation in Asheville and ate at many wonderful restaurants including Rhubarb and The Admiral. All were excellent but, for me, Limones was the standout. The ceviche sampler was superb as was the lobster taco and the shrimp enchilada. And as for the drinks? First-rate. Had a blood-orange margarita that had me doing a Mexican hat-dance, then was pleasantly surprised they had one of my favorite chardonnay--Trefethen--on their list. Though I would heartily recommend all the dinner places we chose, I would give an extra star to Limones.Special Features:
- Outstanding foodJanetDined on 10/16/2014We selected this restaurant because Fodor's recommendation was high. Justifiably so! This was one of the best meals I've ever eaten. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Just OKSlowfloDined on 10/14/2014We had been to Limones before and thought it was excellent. But this time I ordered a vegetarian entree and found it to be pretty mediocre. I expected the wild mushroom-filled chile relleno, to be roasted, peeled and quick fried and served on a plate with rice and vegetables on the side. Instead it was just roasted, filled with a little dab of mushrooms and goat cheese and served submerged in a bowl of wet tomatoey vegetable mix that was called ratatouille but wasn't really. The flavors and textures were all mushy and run together. The lobster quesadilla was ok but also served in a bowl and sort of heavy and soggy. Maybe it was just an off night. (The weather was soggy,too). But considering the prices, we probably won't be back.
- HermangrmHermangrmDined on 10/13/2014Extraordinary offerings from the cocktails, appetizers to the entrees and desserts. The best adaptation of traditional Mexican cuisine with local nuances in Asheville! I'm from LA and this place would blow their socks off!Special Features:
- Kudos for MatthewOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/12/2014We had a 7:30 reservation on 10/12/14 for 5. The sympathetic hostess said our table would be a while as the prior group was slow. We ordered wine and hung out up front. Matthew, the manager, came to see us repeatedly and apologized profusely. At 8:40 the place began to empty and Matthew put tables together to accommodate us. Matthew was so personable and did so many things right given a situation beyond his control. He comped 3 great appetizers (civeche/lobster nachos/cheese chile relleno) and a $75 2nd bottle of wine. Lamb chops were cooked perfectly. Tuna and BBQ fish tacos also stellar. I considered going back a 2nd time! I will definitely return when in town. Kudos to Matthew and hostess for turning a problem into a wonderful night out!Special Features:
- ConsistentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014Always outstanding in all respects xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014Food and drinks were amazing and the seservice was impecable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous and EclecticOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/11/2014Fabulous menu fuses Mexican with elements of French for a sensational variety of flavors. And the house margaritas are top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our hands down favoriteAshevillelocalVIPDined on 10/11/2014We live in Asheville and have an incredible choice of restaurants from which to choose, but hands down this is our favorite and we return as often as we can. With the menu changing slightly every week there is always something new to find as well as some old favorites. The restaurant has become so popular that even as locals we are happy when we can get a reservation at the last minute, probably due to a cancellation, as we did this past weekend. The food is exceptional - wonderful flavors - intriguing combinations - creative presentation, all in a very casual environment. The front-of-house staff is exceptional with most being there a long time which is a great advantage. All I ask is that you leave some room for the locals.Special Features:
- One of the best bunches everTcboundDined on 10/11/2014Outstanding food,service, and selections on the menu.Special Features:
- Favorite place in ashevilleHbressler70Dined on 10/10/2014Love the crafted cocktails. Lobster nachos are fantastic. Mussels are yummy and huge portion.Special Features:
- Amazing every time!!!OnvacationVIPDined on 10/10/2014My favorite restaurant in asheville! Great new menu. Never disappoints!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great B'day partyScotNancDined on 10/8/2014The ceviche was absolutely out of the world! Halibut was cooked perfectly with a wonderful sauce. Best chili relleno was probably the best I have never had!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- when visiting AshevillebennieDined on 10/8/2014Whenever we visit Asheville we never miss the chance to have an always fabulous meal at Limones. The food is consistantly wonderful. Its our favorite restaurant in Asheville.Special Features:
- One of best "Mexican" meals everJohnDavidDined on 10/7/2014My wife and I loved Limones. Great list of unique margaritas and a substantial wine list as well. We had the lobster nachos appetizer which we really loved - wish we hadn't split it. Shrimp enchiladas for me and tacos for my wife - both very unique and not what you initially think when you hear it. They also have rack of lamb on the menu, which I saw pass by and it looked incredible. Homemade salsas and sour cream really accentuated the great flavor the meals. Service was really good. Place is small, but very open - so you don't feel cramped. One of our favorite meals in Asheville.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gourmet MexicoBuceriasDined on 10/5/2014Think Mexico City elite dining. Specialty drinks, elaborate wine menu, unique use of Latin flavors in ever changing menu .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RepeaterJohnny2VIPDined on 10/1/2014We have been here numerous times and will keep going back because the food is so tasteful. Having said that, we were disappointed with our results with the size of the mussels, although we inquired as to the size , they were tiny morsels, but very tasty. Just wish we had gotten straight on inquiry. This will not keep me away, because as I said this food is always very tasty ane do not miss the caliente margarita. One of my favorite dining haughty in Asheville. Fish is always especially good here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite restaurant in AshevilleOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/30/2014I have been dining at Limones since it opened. It has continued to have innovative delicious food and drinks and an updated decor while honoring the history, and origin of the food and country of the chef. The service staff has been there for years, and it's always good to see them. One in particular is very funny. Asheville is fortunate to have a restaurant of that calibre here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OUTSTANDING food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/30/2014Hard to find street parking. But the once there, the staff and food were delicious. The ceviche sampler was great for one or two. The shellfish stew was a seafood lover delight. Husband got the duck confit quesadilla. I had a taste. I am not normally a duck fan, but this dish was great. Definitely would come back again.Special Features:
- cindiVIPDined on 9/29/2014Really great food. Don't miss the ceviches. Shrimp enchiladas were the best ever. Innovative, very interesting menu. Efficient, friendly service.
- Truly a gem!frttVIPDined on 9/29/2014Fabulous ceviches and seared scallops with sweet and savory flavors. We loved the low-key ambiance and unique character of this restaurant. Kudos to the chef and servers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overrated ~ go elsewhereOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/27/2014There are better options in Asheville at much more reasonable prices. If you go, don't order the most expensive entree: a piece of beef that can be bested by Outback. As for the rest of the menu, you're led to believe that paying $18 for enchiladas makes perfect sense. Is it a good enchilada? Oh, yes. But our check for two was $119 (before the tip for very slow service and a very slow kitchen)... this isn't Manhattan. One other piece of advice to management: rip down that godawful funereal lighting. No one wants to be subjected to 150-watt incandescent lighting from above. Candles and uplighting, forgodsake! In summary, do yourself a favor: go up the street to Curate and leave extremely happy. We did.
- Experimental Californian-MexicanNeuromanDined on 9/27/2014Limones is well-loved by customers, as the ones we spoke to told us that, "it was worth the wait". We had 6:45 reservations for two, arrived at 6:30, and were seated at 7:15. For our wait we were given a complimentary trio of salsas and corn chips, which was nice, but not a suitable apology in my opinion. The food was pleasing to the eye, and an obvious effort is made to be novel in its preparation, however not all experiments seemed to work. The scallops were covered in a thin sauce not unlike ketchup, the pumpkin ravioli was in a confusing muddle of vegetables, and the flourless chocolate chipotle mango cake, was devoid of any semblance of chipotle, had a thin stream of mango sauce on the plate, and contained a large dose of coffee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.