13 Eagle Street
Asheville, NC 28801Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.limonesrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 8282522327
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 10:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Mexican
- Executive Chef: Hugo Ramirez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Limones Restaurant
Around the corner from the Fine Arts Theater in downtown Asheville, Limones Restaurant provides an inspirational mix of Mexican and Californian cuisine along with inventive bar selections served by a warm, professional staff. Long before working and training under some of San Francisco’s most talented chefs, Hugo Ramirez was raised on the intense and varied flavors native to his hometown of Mexico City. In fact, he still calls on his mother for the secrets of traditional Mexican dishes, which he reinvents in innovative and surprising ways. At Limones, Hugo’s love of Mexican food is combined with his training in french-influenced California cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Limones Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Asheville ›
Limones Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
391 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (315)special occasion (207)neighborhood gem (194)romantic (125)hot spot (103)notable wine list (44)great for brunch (40)good for groups (39)vibrant bar scene (28)late-night find (26)great for lunch (10)kid-friendly (7)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- overrated ~ go elsewhereOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/27/2014There are better options in Asheville at much more reasonable prices. If you go, don't order the most expensive entree: a piece of beef that can be bested by Outback. As for the rest of the menu, you're led to believe that paying $18 for enchiladas makes perfect sense. Is it a good enchilada? Oh, yes. But our check for two was $119 (before the tip for very slow service and a very slow kitchen)... this isn't Manhattan. One other piece of advice to management: rip down that godawful funereal lighting. No one wants to be subjected to 150-watt incandescent lighting from above. Candles and uplighting, forgodsake! In summary, do yourself a favor: go up the street to Curate and leave extremely happy. We did.
- Experimental Californian-MexicanNeuromanDined on 9/27/2014Limones is well-loved by customers, as the ones we spoke to told us that, "it was worth the wait". We had 6:45 reservations for two, arrived at 6:30, and were seated at 7:15. For our wait we were given a complimentary trio of salsas and corn chips, which was nice, but not a suitable apology in my opinion. The food was pleasing to the eye, and an obvious effort is made to be novel in its preparation, however not all experiments seemed to work. The scallops were covered in a thin sauce not unlike ketchup, the pumpkin ravioli was in a confusing muddle of vegetables, and the flourless chocolate chipotle mango cake, was devoid of any semblance of chipotle, had a thin stream of mango sauce on the plate, and contained a large dose of coffee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a great dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2014our experience was everything we wanted. Even though we reserved a week in advance, we could only sit at the bar which, in fact, is the best seat in the house because we could watch the food being prepared. The food, the service, the whole experience was thoroughly enjoyable.Special Features:
- excellent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/26/2014Matthew was our waiter, probably one of best ever. Excellent service all around. They get it. Looking forward to returning when visiting Asheville.Special Features:
- HOT SPOTGiggleDaddyDined on 9/25/2014Limones was recommend to us multiple times while visiting Asheville. We went and it was awesome. Great food, great atmosphere. It's a small place but very quaint. You probably won't be disappointed? Get a Margarita and forget about the Benjamins.Special Features:
- Excellent foodAWESOMEDined on 9/25/2014This meal was outstanding on every front. From the appetizer (lobster nachos) to dessert (tres leches cake), perfect. Try the seafood stew..yum!! Halibut was cooked to perfection. I wish we could have tried other dishes so we will visit next time we're in Asheville!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but...Austin1040VIPDined on 9/25/2014Unfortunately, we got the table facing the restrooms. You'd think a restaurant of this caliber could come up with a clever way to avoid this problem but, so far, not Limones. The blackberry margarita was spectacular. The food was great although some of the portions were small. Service was attentive but not pushy. We will return with hopes for a better table.
- Can't handle successOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/25/2014Limones is one of our favorite restaurants in our hometown of Asheville. Both the city and this restaurant have become exceedingly popular for tourists in the past year. The wait service is still very good, but the kitchen evidently cannot keep up with the added business. We have had exceedingly long waits after ordering, food not up to their usual excellent preparation, and in our latest meal - one piping hot dinner and one barely luke warm. We are not usually complainers, but a talk with the waiter and management gave us a comped dinner. We would have preferred a great meal.Special Features:
- Another Asheville GemditytilyDined on 9/23/2014Another great find in a town of amazing eateries. The dining room is a rectangular space that retains its historic charm of hard wood floors and wall trim, large wall mirrors which give the place a more open feeling, and original tin ceilings. The menu is Mexican influenced but has a style and preparation all its own. 4 of us shared 3 appetizers: Ceviche Verde, Lobster Nachos, and Three Cheese Chili Rellenos all were outstanding. Our dinners (Tequila Limed Beef Tacos, Wild Mushroom Ricotta Chili Rellenos, N.C. Chimichurri Shrimp Enchilades) were all prepared with imagination and plated with care. Our friendly waiter, Matt, was easily up to the task of describing the dishes, suggesting drinks and answering our questions with clarity.Special Features:
- another great mealpmwkDined on 9/22/2014Limones was one of the first restaurants we tried when first moving to the Asheville area 4 years. We have been there quite a few times since and it continues to be our favorite downtown restaurant. Since Asheville is full of great restaurants, I think that says it all.Special Features:
- This Is One Great Restaurant!RovingEpicurean1Dined on 9/21/2014The food and service here are simply outstanding. Of particular note were the ceviche and the scallops, both of which were absolutely wonderful. I can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lives up to expectations!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014I'd been hearing good things and reading good reviews about Limones for a few months. I made reservations Saturday night and have no regrets at all. The service and ambiance were very good, but the food was marvelous. We shared one of the cerviche dishes and we both enjoyed the dish. My scallops were the best I've ever had however! Perfect texture paired with amazing flavor. My husband enjoyed his grilled shrimp enchiladas also and we both loved the cocktails offered. I will certainly be back. I hope to try dessert next time!Special Features:
- Good food but not greatDrmannDined on 9/19/2014Food was good but overpriced because it was not over the top. Rhubarbs is a better pick if you are looking for excellent food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/18/2014Loved the fish cerveche sampler plate and would come again just for that.Special Features:
- Great restaurantchezchouDined on 9/18/2014Limones is one of my two favorite restaurants in Asheville. Superb food, great atmosphere, helpful wait staff. You do need to make reservations early as this place fills up fast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MAKE A RESERVATIONNativeofAVLDined on 9/17/2014Even after making a reservation and arriving on time my party still had to wait an additional 20 minutes. I wouldn't have an issue with this if there was a place for us to sit besides on the curb outside. Overall, the food was wonderful. The prices are high but there are low cost items. Expect for your bill to be around $20-30 if you get a drink. Service was good. Do be aware that it can get loud when they're at full capacity.Special Features:
- Great restaurantCharlesDined on 9/17/2014The only negative comment would be the neighbors next door. Looked like a homeless hangout and some were standing in the doorway as we approached, as well as while we were eating. Not a favorable scene for out-of-town clientele.Special Features:
- Nice dinnerOncmanDined on 9/14/2014Food was excellent. Good variety of selections. I recommend the three cheese chile relleno appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely wonderfulSportsmomDined on 9/13/2014From the moment we arrived it was flawless. Our waiter was fabulous, kind, attentive and extremely knowledgeable. I told him it was my daughter's birthday and he never passed up an opportunity to wish her well, and ended up giving her a special pieced of tres leches cake was not on the menu and only in the kitchen for special occasions. It arrived with a candle and a smile. We had a scallop appetizer which was out of this world as well as a ceviche sampler. Terrific. Then we split the lobster tacos which were simply perfect. He guided us in our choices along the way and was spot on always. One of the nicest dinners I have ever had.Special Features:
- My Favorite Place in AshevilleJharveyDined on 9/13/2014Great food, wonderful service. Definitely worth a visit!Special Features:
- Fabulous Restaurantdaor1elttilVIPDined on 9/13/2014We have eaten at Limones often and it remains one of our very favorites. We recommend Margaritas and Lobster Nachos (and anything, in fact). If you make an early reservation, it is less crowded, but because it is so good, it is always full.Special Features:
- DisappointedAshevillefavsDined on 9/12/2014We have never had a bad dining experience her ever; however are latest visit was a big disappointment. The chips with our ceviche were stale, and the flavor was underwhelming. Our main dish were the sea scallops which we have had before(one of the better dishes I have had here), but again flavor was not there and scallops were on the raw side. I think the kitchen has forgotten how to taste and quality check food before it goes out to the customer. This restaurant has always been on the top of my list, but now I am not sure what to think.Special Features:
- Uneven foodLissDined on 9/12/2014Uneven food best describes our last visit here. Apps and salad were great but the Tuna wasn't cooked properly even after being sent back. Kinda important when you're paying $26. for it. We never said a word but our server was paying attention and removed it from our check. Nothing's perfect but to get the same thing twice means someone wasn't paying attention or didn't care to prepare it to our liking. Limones had moved into our best dining spot surpassing the Admiral and Curate, but sadly will drop a few notches after this visit. We like the energy here, although at times it can get really loud. Prior to this trip, we've always had good food. We'll return to Limones again but it will be awhile before we do.Special Features:
- food fit for a king and queenlimonesDined on 9/12/2014limones is one of the best restaurants in asheville the food was awesome the atmosphere was romantic yet casual the mixed drinks from the bar were very different this was our third time eating there and we will always go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DlouDined on 9/11/2014Th, we love is was not our first time to Limones... we have been here many times before. It was AMAZING as ususal!!! The Artichoke Ravioli were delicious and so were the mushroom nachos. The food is always so good and always different..... we love this place. The Blood Orange Margaritas are also one of our favorites!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meals - so so servicePackerbackerDined on 9/10/2014Lamb shanks - outstanding!! Tuna, Shrimp and Tacos were excellent also. I visit Limones several times a year and their food is always top notch. Service was not equal to the food this trip. Our server was generally slow. Very slow to take our main course order. I have experienced this in the past with same server. Other servers have been great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always ready to eat at Limones!!!!!MemawDined on 9/10/2014Have eaten there several times. The food is amazing! Service is superb. Have taken many guests and this Restaurant is always a hit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!sophieDined on 9/10/2014Referred by foodie friends. Did not disappoint. Fab mealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistantly creative and deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014I like the small cozy atmosphere. I always get the ceviche to begin with. Always fresh! Interesting menu that is unique (though this is Asheville!)Special Features:
- Amazing every timeCdeidesDined on 9/6/2014This is our favorite restaurant in Adheville. Great service, incredible food and a fun, relaxed environment. Did I mention the food was phenomenal? Can't wait to go back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/6/2014Matthew was our server, very knowledgable knew the menu extremely well. Told us about the history of the restaurant and the local area and what has been their best on their menu. The nice thing about this it let us know what the locals liked and what the traveler liked summing it up to a home run. If we ever have the opportunity we will be back.Special Features:
- Treat yourself. Eat here.OpusDined on 9/4/2014Seared scallops with porcini and crimin mushrooms, fennel, tomato ( just a bit) , over grits. Ceviche with guacamole , sea bass. Lobster nachos. If you're a margarita purist, go for the lemonade margarita. He liked the blood orange margarita Great food put together in a very different way but it all works. True American. To say fusion would be a waste of words. AmericanSpecial Features:
- EnergeticJamesVIPDined on 9/3/2014The crowd has fun, enjoys the food and is noisy. Our ceviche, chili releano, scallops and beet salad were all perfectly prepared and well served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious drinks and food!GrammasNightOutDined on 9/3/2014From start to finish everything was a "Wow!" The mojito was refreshing; chili relleno was large appetizer with well matched flavors; lamb shank burrito and shellfish coconut milk stew were both delicious combinations of wonderful flavors. Tres Leches cake with peaches & pecans was a light & tasty dessert. The complimentary cayenne-spiced truffle was the perfect finish. Small, intimate dining room. Server was helpful & appropriately attentive. We love Mexican food, and these dishes were wonderful flavorful extensions of traditional flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodies loved itFoodieInWallingfordDined on 9/2/2014We're foodies, so Limones was at the top of our list to go to while visiting, and it did not disappoint. Loved it! Owners of the house we rented told us it's their favorite, and we can see why. Nice atmosphere, good and friendly service, and wonderful food. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Excellent dinnernaterdayVIPDined on 9/1/2014We had a fantastic dinner here with fantastic service. One of my favorite places in Asheville.Special Features:
- What a find!!martDined on 9/1/2014Great food! Great atmosphere! Great waiter! Not your typical mexican food. Great flavors put together to make a beautiful presentation. Classy joint!!Special Features:
- Excellent cevicheOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/1/2014The ceviche was as good as it gets. For those who enjoy ceviche, you must not miss this at Limones. We had the trio of ceviche which allowed us to try all three. Needless to say they were all excellent. Note that the shrimp ceviche is a bit spicy. The other entres were also very good but not as special. Service was ok but not overly attentive. Also note that this restaurant is a bit pricy for Asheville without the atmosphere and service to go with it.Special Features:
- wonderful food, but low on spaceklp0723Dined on 8/31/2014Outstanding food, service and atmosphere. If you are looking to get a drink before dinner and the bar is full, you might be out of luck though. Other than that this is a definite must for excellent Latin inspired fare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely would go againFoodandwinegaloreDined on 8/31/2014Great food, pleasant and professional staff , ambiance fit for either business or romance. It's even kid friendly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.