Limon Rotisserie – Van Ness
1001 S Van Ness Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94110Neighborhood:
PeruvianPrice: $30 and under
Limon Rotisserie – Van Ness
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.limonrotisserie.com/
- Phone: 4158212134
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 12:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Peruvian
- Executive Chef: Martin Casttillo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Check our website and speak to the Manager for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Antonio Castillo 4158212134
- Cross Street: 21st Street
- Public Transit: Bart stop at 24th St. and Mission, walk down on Mission to 21st St. and make a right towards South Van Ness a block away. Also 14, 49 and 12 Muni Buses.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street parking and there is also a garage on 21st.between Valencia and Mission, just a block away.
A word from Limon Rotisserie – Van Ness
Limon Rotisserie, best chicken in town, great Peruvian food, good value and good service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerPeruvian
Limon Rotisserie – Van Ness - Best Restaurants in Mission ›
Limon Rotisserie – Van Ness reviews from OpenTable diners
105 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (54)good for groups (43)fit for foodies (37)hot spot (27)great for lunch (15)special occasion (14)kid-friendly (12)romantic (9)vibrant bar scene (8)late-night find (8)notable wine list (4)great for outdoor dining (2)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Great place to eathcuevasDined on 9/21/2014I always wanted to go to Limon as I have heard so much about it. I found the perfect occasion and took it: My cous was visiting from Miami. The place is very well located and easy get to if you need to take BART. The service was very good, although they are very busy and take some time to take your order and/or come to see if you need anything (which some ppl like). The food was excellent! A bit pricey but you get what you pay for and it is worth it. We left satisfied and I will definitively go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good and (too) fastdontoverthinkit7Dined on 9/13/2014Best ceviche I've had -- very simple. The snapper alone with stuff on it. Good to great food -- esp. the standards (chicken, special peruvian dishes). Salad not interesting. Service super friendly -- but pacing all wrong. Everything coming at once, wine after the dinner arrived, etc. It's a fancy diner in this department -- they want to move you through.
- Great food&service,tables 2 close.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/11/2014Fantastic chicken with papas fritas and fried yuca. Super fast. Can't get enough of the chimichurri. Friendly, efficient service. Reasonable prices. Only negative, all to common in restaurants, is that our table was less than a foot from next table. At the end of the row, we immediately moved it away another few inches. Though somewhat loud we were still listening to the entire conversation of the next table diners. Restaurants want to seat as many as possible but this is almost a deal-breaker.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- myfoodiedreamsDined on 9/2/2014Loooove the mac n cheese. Chicken was a bit dry, but overall a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best!ChickenManDined on 8/31/2014And then you realize that you just crave the chicken at Limon, and there is nothing you can do but go there and eat,Special Features:
- Great Food.MsMogulDined on 8/15/2014I had been to one of the other locations and actually mistakenly made reservations at this location. TL; DR - Food was still great. Not as nicely decorated or as nice of a neighborhood as previous location, faster and more attentive service. 1. - Chicken (pricey, I mean really... but still amazing chicken) 2. Chicharrones De Pollo - diet killer and worth every bite 3. Empanadas - beef aren't my fave but still gr8. The chicken and veggies are perfectly flakey and flavorful 4. Tuna Tartare - really good, it's SF, quality standard in this dish I would come back for smaller party or just a lunch date, would choose the other location for better ambianceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely environmentLoSayer94Dined on 8/14/2014I have to admit I was a bit nervous when they were taking me to the downstairs area But it turned out to be a cozy spot for me and my girlfriend. I loved the downstairs bar area nice and clean with a tv as well. So I will definitely take some buddies to grab a beer there and watch some sports the food was out the window. Every single bite was delightful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad first experience?OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/13/2014After hearing great reviews about this place, I'm not sure if I just went on an off night or something. Sides were good, bartender was great, and service was good, but it was some of the worst chicken I've ever had in my life. My friends had all been there before so they really pushed us to order 2 whole Pollo a la Brasas. It tasted like the chicken was left in the brine for too long. We basically threw away $50 of food (chickens are about $23 each) because they were so overly salted no one at the table really wanted to eat them. I think maybe something was off that night?Special Features:
- The BestChickenManDined on 8/13/2014I make up excuses to head to Limon and eat theri chicken whenever I am in SF. It's that good. Excellent service...and Yuca Fries!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the dinWellFedArtistDined on 8/11/2014I broke a 48-hour fast here. My friend and I had to speak loudly to hear each other across our tiny downstairs table, and her rotisserie chicken came out a good 10 minutes before my ceviche de pescado. But after 48 hours of no food, I was well-trained to wait. And this ceviche was worth the wait and the din - this from someone who has tried ceviche at most of the Bay Area's Peruvian restaurants, and homemade ceviche that my Peruvian partner used to make for me. The red snapper tasted so fresh, still had some raw pink parts, and the leche de tigre was perfectly balanced. It had the right amount of choclo, cilantro, red onion and cancha. If only Limon could have recreated the intimate atmosphere of their first restaurant on 17th Street...I would recommend this to a friend.
- DknvgkDined on 8/6/2014Good food over all but too noisy even on a wed night! I'm Peruvian so I had high expectations. Los Angeles Peruvian restaurants are much better but Limon does a good job.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Diamond in the roughThunderDined on 8/2/2014This section of South Van Ness may not be as "hip" as Valencia or Mission, but Limon is fantastic. Everything we ordered was delicious, and we would certainly go back for another meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't get enough of LimonOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/2/2014Everything has such vibrant flavors. I have introduced to many friends and EVERYBODY has loved it.Special Features:
- GomerDined on 8/1/2014Probably a good place to dine on a week night but too frenetic on a Friday eve. Parking near impossible. Crowded tables, superb service as food came out quickly, Noise level such that a normal conversation became one with raised voices. Highly advertised wood fired chicken not worth it. Many of the side dishes and small plates quite good.
- Food Good. Service Bad.MmmMmmGoodVIPDined on 8/1/2014Took about 10 min for anyone to come take a drink order..Between the 4-5 employees who took food orders, drink orders, ran food, etc...We had no idea who our server was. We had just finished maybe 2-3 small plates when a server, (not sure if ours or not...who could tell) cleared everything and asked if we wanted dessert menus. We informed them we were still looking to order more. Ordered maybe one more dish and a beer at that time. The beer never showed up, so we didn't bother to order beyond that. On the whole, the food was good...but completely negated by the awful service.
- Great food- forgot how noisy it is!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/22/2014I LOVE the food here so I went back after having moved away from the Mission about a year ago. I assumed they would have done something to the downstairs by now - something on the floors or walls to (a) make it look less empty and (b) absorb some of the sound! My friends and I could not hear each other at all.
- We Will Be Returning!NelibellyDined on 7/11/2014We had Pisco sours to drink, they were frothy and a little sweet and delicious. We started w/the ceviche, it tasted super fresh and citrusy and had a little spicy kick w/great texture, not mushy. We got Truffled Mac and Cheese for the kids, it was a little too "truffly" for them, but all us adults loved it! We got a Rotisserie chicken, it was juicy, falling off the bone, good flavor, but was even better dipped in one of the trio of sauces it is served with. We also got sautéed vegetables, which were a little soggy for our taste, but the sauces made them good too. The Yucca Fries were a little bland and dry, but a perfect vehicle for more of the yummy sauce! Great service, friendly staff, we were served very quickly. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovin' the ChickenEfrenDined on 7/7/2014Great service and tasty food pairings in the MissionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love you Limon!karenwalkerVIPDined on 7/5/2014Have been to Limon on Van Ness and Valencia and there is something about the Van Ness location I prefer. Maybe the crowd, the downstairs dining, and I swear the chicken is better. Always consistent and delicious food at very reasonable prices. One of my go-to restaurants in SF. Value and deliciousness, you can't go wrong.Special Features:
- Not as good as I remember it to behappyCustomerDined on 7/2/2014The chicken was a bit salty and not as crispy as the last time I had it there. The ceviche was Delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RockDined on 6/28/2014This place has great food and attentive service. Also a good selection of libations. Peak dinning it is very loud. I will return.
- this location sucks!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/28/2014My friends and i ended up with stomachache the next day after eating here. Felt rushed by the waiters by asking us almost every 15 mins if we are done with the plates so they can put it away. We stayed not even longer than 1 hr and 10 mins.
- Amazing every time.LimonDined on 6/25/2014Limon in either location is amazing food, great service, fun atmosphere. The wait for a table is long so reservations are key. But once you order (and I recommend ordering all plates to share) it comes in 5-10 min. The sangria is good, the chicken and the ceviche are amazing, as is anything else on the menu. Highly recommended. They have a seemingly small space on VanNess but they open this up to a huge downstairs room during the rush.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/19/2014First time we've been here for lunch - not so crowded and even more attentive service than in the evening - or maybe it's just that there was much less noise, and we could hear and understand explanations . . . Oven Rotisserie Chicken is amazing! It's marinated overnight, and then while it seems so overdone that wings spontaneously fall off (?!), everything still tastes delicious. Of the sauces, I would most highly recommend the huacatay with black mint over the mustard and the chimichurri. Sweet potato fries are excellent, the vegetales side is good. Lomito saltado is very good, although be prepared for an unusual combination of French fries served over white rice!Special Features:
- Great Experience!Hawaii510Dined on 6/6/2014The food was fantastic. Had the Ceviche with Shrimp and fish. The flavors were refreshing and light. This was paired with the Lomito Saltado, a quarter of the dark juicy rotisserie chicken, and the beef empanadas which are more filling dishes. The service was lightning quick. I almost thought I was at an Asian restaurant where they have your order ready prior to you even getting seated (J/k). This just speaks to their efficient service. I will definitely come here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try it, You'll LOVE it!Leopardlove1Dined on 6/4/2014This was my third time coming to this location and I would definitely return. The service all around is great and the food is the best. All the employees are friendly and very inviting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the foodRushedDined on 6/3/2014I really loved the food and service but maybe when they are making reservations they should ask if anyone in the party is elderly because we were set for a table downstairs which was a steep staircase and very loud.Special Features:
- The following 556 reviews are from the Limon Rotisserie – Van Ness reviews archive.
- great chicken and sidesfood4uDined on 5/31/2014This is my second time here and I had friends in town and decided to check it out. Great food, reasonably priced, great for groups but make sure you have reservations if its on the weekend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- glovesmVIPDined on 5/30/2014This was really tasty chicken and very fast food, without being fast food. We stopped here for dinner before a show on a Friday night and got out in about 30 minutes. I'd definitely go back again.Special Features:
- Just darn good chickenMaamsayVIPDined on 5/25/2014Best chicken deal there is. Empanadas and ceviche are also good. Service is slow and underwhelming when they get busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lively, fun- loved Limon RotisserieawellesDined on 5/17/2014Order yucca fries and a Pisco Sour and you're off to a good start. The paella was delish and we'd have it again along with the roasted chicken that everyone around us seemed to know was the best item on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time but not last timefoodiefungirlDined on 5/17/2014We tried Limon for the first time after my son's graduation. We had a five o'clock reservation and the restaurant was already busy. We were seated after a few minutes and were then attended to promptly. Our server managed to be attentive and friendly even though she was very busy. Our food came quickly and was wonderful. The roast chicken is the star of course but all the sides we ordered were equally tasty. Next time we want to try some of the other entrees. This place is better for a quick meal before the theater or show rather than a place to linger. Although it might not be as busy later in the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/15/2014Not the largest menu of Peruvian cuisine, but the food was delicious!!Special Features:
- good food but bad servicepinoyDined on 5/10/2014The food was good but the service was bad. There were 3 hostesses at the front door standing there without paying attention to us, we had to wait that they finish there discussion for 5 minutes before to be allow to talk to them. I went there for my birthday it was a bad idea. We booked a table for 9:00pm and I called an hour before to tell them we will be late of 15minutes. She said it was totally fine and once we arrived there the hostess made us wait until 10:10pm. She kept telling us your table will be ready in 5 minutes every 15 minutes!!!Special Features:
- awesome !OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014Food and drinks are awesome but a bit loud. And its worth it !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sit upstairsfoodiesfDined on 5/3/2014Sit upstairs, otherwise pass on this restaurant. The basement level has a dank smell and is very loud. Decided to leave for another restaurant and didn't stay for our dinner reservation. The Valencia location is much better.Special Features:
- Very sadOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/2/2014I've been going here since 2008, love the food. This time though the service was terrible. The blond Hostess was downright Rude. I know they're busy, but we didn't see a waiter for 15 minutes, although when he showed was nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best place for Peruvian FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/30/2014Tasty Food, lively atmosphere and a great variety of dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not excellent, but not badMysteryPatronDined on 4/28/2014Ceviche and rotisserie chicken (with the sauces) were good, though the portions were quite small. Fried dishes were a bit dry. Service was fine, though the waitress forgot an item but we were full in any case. Restaurant was also quite loud.Special Features:
- Great Quality for the PriceDinoVIPDined on 4/26/2014Limon on Valencia has been one of my favorites for years. This was my first time at their new site on South Van Ness at 21st Street. The food was absolutely as good as the original. I liked the smaller, quieter, neighborhood feel of the setting. Sometimes the noise level on Valencia gets in the way of a good conversation at the table. We were able to conduct our conversation and enjoy one another's company as we were enjoyng and appreciating the food. The service was attentive, polite and quietly efficient, just the way it should be. I enthusiastically endorse this place.Special Features: