Limon Rotisserie – Van Ness
1001 S Van Ness Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94110Neighborhood:
PeruvianPrice: $30 and under
Limon Rotisserie – Van Ness
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.limonrotisserie.com/
- Phone: (415) 821-2134
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 12:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Peruvian
- Executive Chef: Martin Casttillo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Check our website and speak to the Manager for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Antonio Castillo 4158212134
- Cross Street: 21st Street
- Public Transit: Bart stop at 24th St. and Mission, walk down on Mission to 21st St. and make a right towards South Van Ness a block away. Also 14, 49 and 12 Muni Buses.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street parking and there is also a garage on 21st.between Valencia and Mission, just a block away.
A word from Limon Rotisserie – Van Ness
Limon Rotisserie, best chicken in town, great Peruvian food, good value and good service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerPeruvian
Limon Rotisserie – Van Ness - Best Restaurants in Mission ›
Limon Rotisserie – Van Ness reviews from OpenTable diners
102 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (48)good for groups (46)fit for foodies (45)hot spot (33)great for lunch (16)special occasion (10)kid-friendly (10)vibrant bar scene (7)late-night find (6)romantic (4)great for brunch (3)notable wine list (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Fair price, for fair foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/22/2014Listed as Peruvian restaurant, Limon, has the potential of being a good restaurant but the Peruvian flavor is missing, instead they got toward another blended cosine without to much of tradition.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/15/2014Not my first visit. The food was explosively flavorful. My only complaint is that I specifically requested a downstairs table, yet we were seated upstairs. I was on a date. There was a party of 4 young women to my right and a family of 6 with toddlers on my left. We had to yell at each other to be heard. Not ideal for a date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding for lunch!MiddayDinerDined on 11/4/2014The rotisserie chicken was excellent - so succulent that it seemed to melt in my mouth. Try it with all 3 sauces or just by itself - you can't go wrong in any way. The chicken comes with 2 sides and I would heartily recommend the Vegetales Salteados. We also chose the Ensalada so it was a well-rounded meal. Don't order too much because you'll want to save room for the Chocolate Bandido, especially if you're a chocoholic. The meal was just perfect and it was very reasonable. Will definitely go back again!Special Features:
- Never disappointednon4lDined on 11/1/2014After more than 5+ times here, I was never disappointed. Chicken tastes delicious, truffle mac and cheese tastes awesome! El Bandido is my favorite desert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NicTaylorDined on 10/17/2014Made reservations with Open Table for 8pm on a Friday to celebrate my mothers birthday. She was in town from MN, visiting for her birthday, so we wanted this to be extra special and she loved Limon's food the last time she was in town. We got the restaurant at 7:50pm for an 8pm reservation, we were not seated until 8:55pm. The hostess's were not friendly or apologetic at all, no one offered us anything and since they have no chairs outside, my poor mother had to stand outside, shivering, for over an hour on her Birthday. Once we were seated and given menus, our server didn't come by for 20 minutes and no one even brought us water. We never saw our server again after he took our orders, didn't even stop by to see how the food was. BAD
- Great for SharingPaulvdwVIPDined on 10/10/2014They have a wide variety of dishes that are great to share family style. The cocktails are really good too. Try the Limon Cup.Special Features:
- Spontaneous dinner success!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/9/2014So on our way up to SF we find out that our plans had been cancelled. So in the mood to have a good night out anyway I scramble to check out some of the great options. In the mood for something different I come across Limon rotisserie. What a success! Being prego I can't drink but I tasted my hubby's Pisco and it was awesome- him and his buddy had a few :) Lomito Saltado was my favorite- basic fires and steak but the flavor is outrageous! You have to share a chicken- we opted for half which was good for the three of us Also great: ceviche, aji Note reservation on Open table- seated right away on a busy sat night and got a great tablet by the window :) Only down fall: no room for dessert and we live too far away for regular visitsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Usually great...this time cold foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/8/2014Usually I love Limon Rotisserie and once of my favorites when I visit SF quarterly. However, super disappointed this last time. And after we ordered mixto ceviche, 1/2 chicken, tacu tacu, vegetables, etc, it literally came out 5 mins later cold. I know chicken can easily come out but come on. 1 give it some time of ambiance w. serving courses and 2. cold food. To make it worse, this time happened to be my husband's birthday. The tiramisu was surprising good. I'll still go back b/c I really like their food but I hope there will be improvements.
- Get the chickenmikehihzDined on 10/8/2014The chicken is the star at Limon Rotisserie and highly recommended. If you are looking for ceviche, go someplace else. It was just OK. Serviceable sides, really good sauces, and quick and friendly service makes this the top place for chicken.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always excellentChickenManDined on 10/5/2014Reliably great food and service. I think I'm addicted to the chicken.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/29/2014The quality has gone down. Desserts were decent. Entrees need to improve a lot
- A good Peruvian mealeat2liveDined on 9/29/2014Limon cooks good Peruvian comfort food. Tacu Tacu, lomo saltado, ceviche, anticuchos de pollo, seco de carne, and pretty decent pisco sours. Pricing is fair for San Francisco, in a slightly less than first class environment. Service was excellent.Special Features:
- Great place to eathcuevasDined on 9/21/2014I always wanted to go to Limon as I have heard so much about it. I found the perfect occasion and took it: My cous was visiting from Miami. The place is very well located and easy get to if you need to take BART. The service was very good, although they are very busy and take some time to take your order and/or come to see if you need anything (which some ppl like). The food was excellent! A bit pricey but you get what you pay for and it is worth it. We left satisfied and I will definitively go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always excellentlovelimonDined on 9/21/2014Wonderful meal, as always, at Limon. Had all of the fan favorites (roasted chicken, lomita saltado, ceviche), and everything was superb. Staff were extremely friendly. Excellent choice to go on a Sunday evening, as it wasn't busy at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good and (too) fastdontoverthinkit7Dined on 9/13/2014Best ceviche I've had -- very simple. The snapper alone with stuff on it. Good to great food -- esp. the standards (chicken, special peruvian dishes). Salad not interesting. Service super friendly -- but pacing all wrong. Everything coming at once, wine after the dinner arrived, etc. It's a fancy diner in this department -- they want to move you through.
- Great food&service,tables 2 close.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/11/2014Fantastic chicken with papas fritas and fried yuca. Super fast. Can't get enough of the chimichurri. Friendly, efficient service. Reasonable prices. Only negative, all to common in restaurants, is that our table was less than a foot from next table. At the end of the row, we immediately moved it away another few inches. Though somewhat loud we were still listening to the entire conversation of the next table diners. Restaurants want to seat as many as possible but this is almost a deal-breaker.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- myfoodiedreamsDined on 9/2/2014Loooove the mac n cheese. Chicken was a bit dry, but overall a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best!ChickenManDined on 8/31/2014And then you realize that you just crave the chicken at Limon, and there is nothing you can do but go there and eat,Special Features:
- Great Food.MsMogulDined on 8/15/2014I had been to one of the other locations and actually mistakenly made reservations at this location. TL; DR - Food was still great. Not as nicely decorated or as nice of a neighborhood as previous location, faster and more attentive service. 1. - Chicken (pricey, I mean really... but still amazing chicken) 2. Chicharrones De Pollo - diet killer and worth every bite 3. Empanadas - beef aren't my fave but still gr8. The chicken and veggies are perfectly flakey and flavorful 4. Tuna Tartare - really good, it's SF, quality standard in this dish I would come back for smaller party or just a lunch date, would choose the other location for better ambianceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely environmentLoSayer94Dined on 8/14/2014I have to admit I was a bit nervous when they were taking me to the downstairs area But it turned out to be a cozy spot for me and my girlfriend. I loved the downstairs bar area nice and clean with a tv as well. So I will definitely take some buddies to grab a beer there and watch some sports the food was out the window. Every single bite was delightful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad first experience?OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/13/2014After hearing great reviews about this place, I'm not sure if I just went on an off night or something. Sides were good, bartender was great, and service was good, but it was some of the worst chicken I've ever had in my life. My friends had all been there before so they really pushed us to order 2 whole Pollo a la Brasas. It tasted like the chicken was left in the brine for too long. We basically threw away $50 of food (chickens are about $23 each) because they were so overly salted no one at the table really wanted to eat them. I think maybe something was off that night?Special Features:
- The BestChickenManDined on 8/13/2014I make up excuses to head to Limon and eat theri chicken whenever I am in SF. It's that good. Excellent service...and Yuca Fries!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the dinWellFedArtistDined on 8/11/2014I broke a 48-hour fast here. My friend and I had to speak loudly to hear each other across our tiny downstairs table, and her rotisserie chicken came out a good 10 minutes before my ceviche de pescado. But after 48 hours of no food, I was well-trained to wait. And this ceviche was worth the wait and the din - this from someone who has tried ceviche at most of the Bay Area's Peruvian restaurants, and homemade ceviche that my Peruvian partner used to make for me. The red snapper tasted so fresh, still had some raw pink parts, and the leche de tigre was perfectly balanced. It had the right amount of choclo, cilantro, red onion and cancha. If only Limon could have recreated the intimate atmosphere of their first restaurant on 17th Street...I would recommend this to a friend.
- DknvgkDined on 8/6/2014Good food over all but too noisy even on a wed night! I'm Peruvian so I had high expectations. Los Angeles Peruvian restaurants are much better but Limon does a good job.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Diamond in the roughThunderDined on 8/2/2014This section of South Van Ness may not be as "hip" as Valencia or Mission, but Limon is fantastic. Everything we ordered was delicious, and we would certainly go back for another meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't get enough of LimonOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/2/2014Everything has such vibrant flavors. I have introduced to many friends and EVERYBODY has loved it.Special Features:
- GomerDined on 8/1/2014Probably a good place to dine on a week night but too frenetic on a Friday eve. Parking near impossible. Crowded tables, superb service as food came out quickly, Noise level such that a normal conversation became one with raised voices. Highly advertised wood fired chicken not worth it. Many of the side dishes and small plates quite good.
- Food Good. Service Bad.MmmMmmGoodVIPDined on 8/1/2014Took about 10 min for anyone to come take a drink order..Between the 4-5 employees who took food orders, drink orders, ran food, etc...We had no idea who our server was. We had just finished maybe 2-3 small plates when a server, (not sure if ours or not...who could tell) cleared everything and asked if we wanted dessert menus. We informed them we were still looking to order more. Ordered maybe one more dish and a beer at that time. The beer never showed up, so we didn't bother to order beyond that. On the whole, the food was good...but completely negated by the awful service.
- The following 568 reviews are from the Limon Rotisserie – Van Ness reviews archive.
- Great food- forgot how noisy it is!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/22/2014I LOVE the food here so I went back after having moved away from the Mission about a year ago. I assumed they would have done something to the downstairs by now - something on the floors or walls to (a) make it look less empty and (b) absorb some of the sound! My friends and I could not hear each other at all.
- We Will Be Returning!NelibellyDined on 7/11/2014We had Pisco sours to drink, they were frothy and a little sweet and delicious. We started w/the ceviche, it tasted super fresh and citrusy and had a little spicy kick w/great texture, not mushy. We got Truffled Mac and Cheese for the kids, it was a little too "truffly" for them, but all us adults loved it! We got a Rotisserie chicken, it was juicy, falling off the bone, good flavor, but was even better dipped in one of the trio of sauces it is served with. We also got sautéed vegetables, which were a little soggy for our taste, but the sauces made them good too. The Yucca Fries were a little bland and dry, but a perfect vehicle for more of the yummy sauce! Great service, friendly staff, we were served very quickly. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovin' the ChickenEfrenDined on 7/7/2014Great service and tasty food pairings in the MissionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love you Limon!karenwalkerVIPDined on 7/5/2014Have been to Limon on Van Ness and Valencia and there is something about the Van Ness location I prefer. Maybe the crowd, the downstairs dining, and I swear the chicken is better. Always consistent and delicious food at very reasonable prices. One of my go-to restaurants in SF. Value and deliciousness, you can't go wrong.Special Features:
- Not as good as I remember it to behappyCustomerDined on 7/2/2014The chicken was a bit salty and not as crispy as the last time I had it there. The ceviche was Delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RockDined on 6/28/2014This place has great food and attentive service. Also a good selection of libations. Peak dinning it is very loud. I will return.
- this location sucks!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/28/2014My friends and i ended up with stomachache the next day after eating here. Felt rushed by the waiters by asking us almost every 15 mins if we are done with the plates so they can put it away. We stayed not even longer than 1 hr and 10 mins.
- Amazing every time.LimonDined on 6/25/2014Limon in either location is amazing food, great service, fun atmosphere. The wait for a table is long so reservations are key. But once you order (and I recommend ordering all plates to share) it comes in 5-10 min. The sangria is good, the chicken and the ceviche are amazing, as is anything else on the menu. Highly recommended. They have a seemingly small space on VanNess but they open this up to a huge downstairs room during the rush.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/19/2014First time we've been here for lunch - not so crowded and even more attentive service than in the evening - or maybe it's just that there was much less noise, and we could hear and understand explanations . . . Oven Rotisserie Chicken is amazing! It's marinated overnight, and then while it seems so overdone that wings spontaneously fall off (?!), everything still tastes delicious. Of the sauces, I would most highly recommend the huacatay with black mint over the mustard and the chimichurri. Sweet potato fries are excellent, the vegetales side is good. Lomito saltado is very good, although be prepared for an unusual combination of French fries served over white rice!Special Features:
- Great Experience!Hawaii510Dined on 6/6/2014The food was fantastic. Had the Ceviche with Shrimp and fish. The flavors were refreshing and light. This was paired with the Lomito Saltado, a quarter of the dark juicy rotisserie chicken, and the beef empanadas which are more filling dishes. The service was lightning quick. I almost thought I was at an Asian restaurant where they have your order ready prior to you even getting seated (J/k). This just speaks to their efficient service. I will definitely come here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try it, You'll LOVE it!Leopardlove1Dined on 6/4/2014This was my third time coming to this location and I would definitely return. The service all around is great and the food is the best. All the employees are friendly and very inviting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the foodRushedDined on 6/3/2014I really loved the food and service but maybe when they are making reservations they should ask if anyone in the party is elderly because we were set for a table downstairs which was a steep staircase and very loud.Special Features: