12 Powell Street
Vancouver, BC V6A1E7Neighborhood:
EuropeanPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lilymaes.ca/
- Phone: 6045582599
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00 am - 3:00 pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30 am - 2:30 pm
Breakfast: Tuesday - Friday: 7:30 am - 10:30 am
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, French / Canadian, Contemporary European
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, BYO Liquor, Cafe, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: As a restaurant with less than 30 seats, Lily Mae"s is a great place to host private functions. Spread over 2 floors, it offers the combination of an intimate environment but giving people the ability to mingle and move throughout an event. In addition, our mezzanine level offers the feeling of a private room for parties of 10 - 14.
- Private Party Contact: Armand 6045582599
- Special Events: Lily Mae's is the perfect size for a party of upwards of 25-30 guests. Or, for something smaller, you can have the mezzanine level all to yourself with parties of ~12 guests. Call 604-558-2599 to discuss options. We are small so we are flexible!
- Cross Street: Carrall
- Public Transit: The #50 bus stop is across the street and down 20 metres from Lily Mae's. Service is frequesnt.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There is metered parking on all streets throughout Gastown. There is also a parking garage just 2 short blocks from Lily Mae's on Water Street.
A word from Lily Mae's
Lily Mae's is a bistro cafe in the heart of Vancouver's vibrant Gastown area. This cozy, full service restaurant has much of its decor and menu inspired by a European bistro combined with a home-style, rustic approach-ability. With fewer than 30 seats split between an airy, bright main level and a cozy, intimate mezzanine, Lily Mae's strives to make guests feel like they are in someone's home...because they are. Open for breakfast, lunch, dinner and weekend brunch!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
Lily Mae's - Best Restaurants in Gastown ›
Lily Mae's reviews from OpenTable diners
31 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (19)great for brunch (16)romantic (15)fit for foodies (13)special occasion (10)great for lunch (9)good for groups (5)late-night find (2)hot spot (1)scenic view (1)notable wine list (1)great for outdoor dining (1)vibrant bar scene (0)Show More
- It was okFiingDined on 8/22/2014The restaurant is very cute and seemingly popular. I adore the decor, but that is perhaps the only positive thing. My mussels was quite good though, I just wish it would have come with broth to dip bread in. I've never had mussels "dry" before. My boyfriends fish was also ok but the potatoes were a bit cold. Also, we had quite a few fruit flies that bothered us and decided to take a swim in our wine. It's that time of the year, but still a huge turn off. The service was also a little slower than average. For someone that's really interested in trying it out, id say go for it. Otherwise, there are a lot better restaurants in the neighbourhood!Special Features:
- Beautiful Setting;Great Service,butFrancofileDined on 8/8/2014This is the 3rd or 4th time I go to Lily Mae's. I live in the neighbourhood and am delighted to have such a sweet little gem in he hood. But the mains are always served cold. I'll probably keeping going back, but do hope that the mains can get more attention some day.Special Features:
- We liked itAtsanikDined on 7/23/2014Our first time at this restaurant. Just found it by wandering through OpenTable. The pork belly was very good. The oules and frites were ... OK. The mussels were good and there were a lot of them. Unlike a few places I have been, every mussel had opened. (It is scary when a chef misses dead mussels and serves them.) But, the frites were served on top of the mussels. This is odd: one of the charms of frites is that they are sknny and crisp, but 30 seconds on tops of the steaming mussels and they were just a soggy mass. Service was again ... OK. Not quite attentive enough, but friendly and competent. Undecided if we would go again. Lots of average restaurants to choose from.Special Features:
- Love that brunch!immabruncherDined on 7/13/2014Extremely tasty brunch. Best eggs benedict I have had here in Vancouver. And I eat a lot of eggs benedict!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- like2dineVIPDined on 7/3/2014great place for total dining experience . The service was friendly and attentive without being intrusive . Small but interesting menu . Portions could have been a bit bigger but overall a wonderful experienceSpecial Features:
- It was okkbpmvVIPDined on 7/3/2014I was enticed by other reviews to try Lily Mae's. Had mussels and fries which were quite strong but tasty, with yummy mayo. Melon and prosciutto salad was unremarkable. Peach pie for dessert was mostly pastry. Side of carmelized onions was literally two bites worth. Attentive service. Fabulous building in historic Gastown. It was a bit of a meh. Might have to return to give it a second chance.
- Great foodSandyRedDined on 6/22/2014The good was great, ambiance wonderful. Service a bit slow but we are American so we like quick service. Portions were small, but once again, we are American! I really enjoyed the place, would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a fantastic meal @ Lily MaesGtownerDined on 6/14/2014We always look forward to a great night a Lily Maes and once again they did not dissapointed. Great menu and service. One of a Gastown's true neighbourhood gems. Thanks!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lily Mae's in GastownfoodisfunDined on 6/13/2014Lily Mae's is a funky, small bistro with great decor and nice energy. The night we were there the service was slow (I think they must have been short handed). We ordered a dozen oysters to start and after waiting about half an hour the owner informed us that they were out of oysters and offered to go down the street and get some. The oysters were slow in coming but very fresh and good. A selection of sauces for dipping would have been nice. I had the calamari entree and my husband had the duck. This food was only average and unfortunately the portions were very small. Would we go back? Maybe. We really enjoyed the ambiance. But next time we'll ask more questions about the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French inspired gem of gastownSweettoothDined on 5/11/2014We've been here two Mother's Day in a row now because the food, service and ambiance are so perfect for a special brunch with family. The staff are friendly, the food is always delicious and the French bistro style is cute and quaint. I will definitely be going there more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's DaySymoneGDined on 5/11/2014We were very happy with the quick and friendly service for our brunch. The food choices were fantastic and their eggs benny was delicious! They even added a treat for mum on the house which was a really nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Nice restaurantMmmmmmDined on 5/11/2014Service was friendly, food was delicious. I'd say food came out a little slow, but it was worth the wait. The whole restaurant is just very well staged. It's a beautiful mix of delicate plates with rustic brick walls.Special Features:
- Mom's night outLadiesdine7Dined on 5/9/2014The ambience is very feminine and perfect for a ladies night. Drink list was unique and a hit. Appetizers were delicious but no one was that impressed with their main dish. Server wasn't friendly and didn't know anything about the menu. A friendlier server would have made a huge difference. Possibly she was just helping out for the night. Manager was nice and came by our table. Brunch would probably be a better option for this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lily Mae's is making great foodimmabruncherDined on 5/3/2014I am a foodie and an ex-chef and not often surprised. Lily Mae's food quality was of a level I haven't seen in many restaurants lately. We had an amazing meal and great service. I am looking forward to return for a lunch or dinner and see if they can continue the good work. FYI their hollandaise is the best in Vancouver (and I would know!) and their brunch put all the restaurants in Yaletown to shame. Great job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 91 reviews are from the Lily Mae's reviews archive.
- Very good except...BenbooDined on 4/25/2014The ambience was beautiful, the beef bourguignon was amazing. Our server was super nice and really took good care of us. The only bad thing was that the food took a really long time to serve. I understand food is not served in microwave speed but it took at least one hour for the food to be served to us. And we were there at 5:45pm, early specifically because we wanted to avoid the rush hour. Don't order the snapper as my friends thought it didn't really taste amazing. I would give it another shot maybe they just had a bad day.Special Features:
- Go to Lily Mae's!libramoon1Dined on 4/20/2014it's adorable and delicious, and the ambience and service are lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best service evertaylormadeDined on 3/29/2014My daughter and I were out for dinner to celebrate her recent engagement. The restaurant is very pretty and busy in a good way. The waitress was attentive and provided just the right service. Her enthusiasm and professionalism was just the right mix to make the dining experience perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foodFoodiepDined on 3/29/2014This place has the best egg benny and french toast.Special Features:
- A Real Charmer!KoalabearVIPDined on 3/27/2014Because of widely differing reviews we weren't sure what to expect and we were delighted with the whole experience.We dined early before going to the Firehall Theatre a short walk away,so it was very quiet but I believe our fantastic server(Meaghan perhaps?) would have done as well in a busy setting.She was professional,friendly and funny.My friend had the Blackened Cod which was perfect,while I had the excellent chicken.The servings were generous,with plentiful vegetables.The wine suggestion(tasting offered) was just right,and the chef came by for a chat-always a good sign.The ambience is charming and we had no problem relaxing for over 2 hours.The appetizer and desert menu looked very appealing so a return is warranted very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/1/2014We had a lovely meal and our waitress was super friendly and nice. Only complaint was the slow service. I believe there was a reason for it but there was no gesture to apologise which would have been appreciated. We will try it again to see if the service improves but sadly it has prevented me from an outright recommendation to friends. Really loved the decor and general vibe.Special Features:
- The service is perfectHainesyVIPDined on 2/22/2014I've always liked Lily Mae's food. Top notch, original and consistent. But the reason I go back is the incredible service. One of my favourite places in the city. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Book clubBlueyDined on 2/16/2014Five of us met at Lilyy Mae's for our book club brunch. The food and service were great, we could hear each other talk and it was a central location for all of us coming from different parts of the city. Have been there before and would definately recommend it to friends who like a small and funky cafe! Thanks again.Special Features:
- Interesting PlaceTonesDined on 2/14/2014To sum it up: great environment, okay food, and family like service. The indoor decoration fits Gastown so well. The aged cabinet, the glassware that accents the decorative patterns on them, the small tables that only fit so much, but so 'cute' as how my SO would call it. Everything makes sense from the stair case to the the mirrors upstairs (yes, it has an upstairs), is expressing a sense of yout grandma's home in a small French or Italian town. The place is tiny though. In my opinion, your grandma deserves a bigger place. Food is alright. A bit pricey, but it was Valentine's day when we went. Steak was cooked medium well, but it's still impossible to chew. The tuna was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A hidden gem in GastownOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/30/2014What a great value the $28 tasting menu was tonight. The scallops just melted in the mouth. Both the mussels and bison were perfect and desserts outstanding. This was our second visit and is becoming a favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gemMaureenDined on 1/28/2014I just had my first visit to Lily Mae's. It was a friend's birthday. There were 7 of us and we all had a fabulous time. The decor is wonderful and authentic. The food was excellent. Something for everyone. There were also quite accommodating with the various dietary restrictions. The owner came by to say hello which was a nice touch. Can't comment on the noise level as we were there on a relatively quiet night. We all agreed that we would come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice little place in Gastown.cjd75Dined on 1/25/2014Nice little place in Gastown. Good Food, efficient service.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/25/2014We went during dine out, first of all we went since it was not on the dine out website and thought we could order off the regular menu, when we arrived we had no choice but the set menu. We ordered soup then beef bourguignon, it was basically the same thing but the 2nd with meat, I thought you couldn't go wrong with desert, I left it. Not impressed, this was our 3rd time here, the times before were good, I don't understand why it was such a bad experience, maybe the chef was on vacation?
- Sometimes size doesn't matter!DerrillDined on 1/24/2014This quaint little restaurant on the edge of Gastown had a three course fixed price menu that was perfect in all regards The French onion soup was all about the flavor, and not just gobs of cheese over some broth. The bison bourguignon was very tasty, and the bread accompaniment was perfect. As for dessert, well we ended up trying all three on the menu, each of which was sublime. Bottom line, this quaint place will definitely be on our list of restaurants to return to again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just what we had hoped forJustMyStyleDined on 1/5/2014We wanted to try a new place for our family's annual post-holiday "Back to School Brunch" and Lily Mae's was just perfect! Our party of 6 was seated upstairs (as we requested) and we basked in the decor and the feeling of being "out" in a relaxing atmosphere.. The sound level was just right - we enjoyed the music, could hear everyone at our table, and didn't even notice conversations at other tables. I don't think this is the venue for young children, but our kids (11, 13, 18) are experienced restaurant diners and they appreciated the food, the environment - even the artsy dishes and presentations. Finally, that food was DELICIOUS: Peppercorn maple bacon under a perfectly poached egg - it's already calling me back. We will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingIslanderDined on 12/21/2013The reviews were misleading. The service was very disjointed as we were asked by same questions by both servers constantly, obviously poor communication a,ongst staff. One server had no sense of humor and found him cold, he was more concerned with closing down for the next five days than being in the moment. The French onion soup was more like onion with a little broth. The mussels in red wine had little flavor and most were unopened. In all the entire group was underwhelmed and will not return or recommend. Too bad as the location is great and the space is lovely.
- The desserts were amazingAbbyVIPDined on 12/13/2013The desserts were amazing and the food was good. It was a cute little restaurant and super cozy. I sat upstairs so it was comfy but I think the people downstairs might have been bothered by the door being opened and the cold coming in.Special Features:
- Gastown ClassicNikkiVIPDined on 12/11/2013Amazing food - can't believe I waited so long to try this place out. A good portion of the menu changes daily, which is great for repeat customers. Had the arancini (daily special), the baked brie, the chicken roulade, the eggplant parmesan, and duck confit quesadilla (daily special) - shared between 3 people - and it was the perfect amount of food. The owner, Armand, was welcoming and visited our table when he could. There was a social event in the main area but the kitchen was quick! Definitely recommend making reservations as the restaurant is cozy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quaint little place with good foodvsbyVIPDined on 12/7/2013Came in mostly to enjoy the atmosphere and hoping food was at least decent. It was good experience. Service could have been better, though understandable coz there was a big group next to us. Food was good. Very nice place for girls' get together brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent for a leisurely brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 12/7/2013Lovely, quaint and cozy. We were seated upstairs, which can accommodate a group. Delicious food. Had the salmon eggs benedict and the orange & cranberry french toast. The poached egg was done perfectly. Just a heads up, as the place was packed when we were there, it did take a lil over 45 minutes from when we were seated to get food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3rd visit at my new fave restaurantKarenDined on 12/5/2013Lily Mae's is prettier with the holiday decorations up. The food is amazing as usual and Armand is as lovely as ever. I can always rely on their team for a wonderful dining experience. Arancini to start, mussels and frites all around, and a chocolate guinnesse cake with ice cream to share. All delicious and just what the doctor ordered at the end of a cold winter day. My third visit to Lily Mae's and many more to come. Thank you to Armand and the team for always being dependably magnificent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very much a Gastown Gem!WazcalDined on 12/4/2013This is a favorite spot of ours and the menu has only gotten better over time. Great selection of well priced wines makes a enjoying your delicious meal just that much more enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lily Mae's is fantastic!!ChrissyDined on 11/30/2013We have been to Lily Mae's a few times now and I have to stay that every time I go back I love it even more. It's a small cozy shabby chic place and the food is FANTASTIC!!! My compliments to the chef. The owner is great will do anything for you. In my opinion one of the best restaurants in Gastown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Adorable Decor!CuteDined on 11/24/2013I loved the decor! Food was very good, we had brunch. My friends had bennies which they both enjoyed. I had the European Goulash. The food was tasty but not heavy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eclectic spot in gas townOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/22/2013Wonderful ambience. We loved the look and styling - reminded us of Paris and country with a twist. Really great service - they o the extra mile. Not sure why there's not more people going! The food is to die for and they have an excellent food list - especially tough for me as vegetarian in gas town when maybe places are not only meat heavy but meat exclusive. Highly recommend dSpecial Features:
- Great brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/10/2013Excellent brunch. Service was great. Never felt rushed eventhough they needed the table back by 11:30. Would definately go back for brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.