12 Powell Street
Vancouver, BC V6A1E7Neighborhood:
EuropeanPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lilymaes.ca/
- Phone: (604) 558-2599
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00 am - 3:00 pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30 am - 2:30 pm
Breakfast: Tuesday - Friday: 7:30 am - 10:30 am
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, French / Canadian, Contemporary European
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, BYO Liquor, Cafe, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: As a restaurant with less than 30 seats, Lily Mae"s is a great place to host private functions. Spread over 2 floors, it offers the combination of an intimate environment but giving people the ability to mingle and move throughout an event. In addition, our mezzanine level offers the feeling of a private room for parties of 10 - 14.
- Private Party Contact: Armand 6045582599
- Special Events: Lily Mae's is the perfect size for a party of upwards of 25-30 guests. Or, for something smaller, you can have the mezzanine level all to yourself with parties of ~12 guests. Call 604-558-2599 to discuss options. We are small so we are flexible!
- Cross Street: Carrall
- Public Transit: The #50 bus stop is across the street and down 20 metres from Lily Mae's. Service is frequesnt.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There is metered parking on all streets throughout Gastown. There is also a parking garage just 2 short blocks from Lily Mae's on Water Street.
A word from Lily Mae's
Lily Mae's is a bistro cafe in the heart of Vancouver's vibrant Gastown area. This cozy, full service restaurant has much of its decor and menu inspired by a European bistro combined with a home-style, rustic approach-ability. With fewer than 30 seats split between an airy, bright main level and a cozy, intimate mezzanine, Lily Mae's strives to make guests feel like they are in someone's home...because they are. Open for breakfast, lunch, dinner and weekend brunch!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Lily Mae's - Best Restaurants in Gastown ›
Lily Mae's reviews from OpenTable diners
32 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (23)great for brunch (17)romantic (15)great for lunch (12)fit for foodies (10)scenic view (6)special occasion (6)good for groups (3)great for outdoor dining (1)hot spot (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Good brunch spot if you're not in a rushOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/16/2014A cozy space but be prepared to wait. We made a reservation for 2pm but still it took 45 minutes to get our order to the table. Overall, It's a great brunch spot if you're not in a rush. Great ambience, food is well prepared and servers were very welcoming and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice decorationCindyDined on 11/15/2014I like the vintage decoration of the resturants. However, I won't return to the resturants because the food was only average.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2.5 star place..FoodieVIPDined on 11/9/2014Lovely decor and ambience but very blend food and so-so service...
- Perfect for BrunchtiggyandfriendsDined on 10/26/2014We really enjoyed our meal of crab bennies. The ambiance was lovely- like a little French bistro and the view out the big windows to the cobble streets of gas town was the finishing touch. They took a reservation for brunch which was great because we came in from the burbs and knowing we had a spot was reassuring. The service was very good and the food was great- but be prepared for a little wait. Give yourself an extra half hour if you have somewhere to go after your brunch. But hey- it's brunch- slow down and enjoy the atmosphere of this lovely little restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/24/2014We really enjoyed our experience and will come againSpecial Features:
- Great local find! A gem!AmandaDDined on 10/18/2014The food & the service were excellent & the price point is very reasonable. If you're looking for something delicious & unique, this is the place! It's a mini trip to a bistro in Paris or New Orleans, dripping with character & did I mention, delicious food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice brunchRodolfoDined on 10/18/2014Lily Mae's has a very nice brunch menu. Both the food and drinks (Mimosa, etc.) we had were very good and the service was good. The potatoes are great and the quiche was light and delectable. I recommend it. The place is very small so you should reserve.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good spot for brunchbmarieVIPDined on 10/5/2014The service is great and the food is good. The ambiance is slightly too grandmother's cottage like for me.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very slow and misrepresentedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Our dining experience was 2 1/2 hours to get our orders. It took 45 min to get our 1 soup and 1 salad. We were close to finished our bottle of wine and no bread. Half hour for our meal. The risotto with root vegetables was in fact farrow the same thing I had in my salad that was called farrow in the menu. That is very different then risotto! I had the duo of duck. Suppose to be duck breast and duck confit. I had 4 slices of fatty duck that were about the size of a slice of brie cheese that I cut half away. Very chewy! It took another half an hour for our piece of cake. We were about to cancel it when they apologized that his cake must have gone to another table. They apologized at every course for the long wait. Very disappointing!
- Not Bad. Could Be Better.DiningCriticDined on 9/27/2014It's a very small place. Food was OK. Smaller portions. Upstairs is more private. Big surprise was a rum & coke seemed expensive at $10. So, be sure to ask for drink prices before ordering.
- deewongVIPDined on 9/26/2014menu very french, delicious dishes, food could be hotter, a little more expensive than your typical french bistro/cafe food but perhaps this is because of the location. Overall great experience, loved the ambiance and set up of the restaurant. Very friendly service. Tasting menu offered.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/14/2014Cute little spot that I like to go for brunch, it is decorated with lots of thought and care.Special Features:
- Quaint & CrampedMmmGrilledCheeseDined on 9/12/2014Lily Mae's was adorned in mismatched ornaments that suited it well. The seating was not comfortable since both my friend and I were constantly bumped. Whether it was from a drawer opening or from a person passing by. The server did not ask how my friend wanted their meat done which was odd. However, the beef had come out nicely cooked. Whereas the accompanying fries had a ridiculously tiny cup for the dip (possibly a sake cup). My pasta was a bit too stiff but the chicken was juicy. The music was a nice touch but it would have been better if it was not blaring. Overall, the experience did not warrant another visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambiance and food!KobeCakesDined on 9/6/2014I've been to Lily Mae's a few times for both brunch and dinner and I highly recommend it if you enjoy great food and excellent service. Lily Mae's decor is charming, cozy, and very inviting. Armand, the owner, is friendly and attentive with all his diners. For brunch, the Lemon Ricotta Pancakes are simply superb. I recently made a reservation for a small group to celebrate a friend's birthday in the mezzanine level. We had a great time! Armand and his staff were very accommodating and made us feel like we were in our own private restaurant. We all loved the Duck Confit, Moules Frites and the Pork Belly. We also tried escargot for the first time - who knew snails could be so tasty! I will definitely keep going back to Lily Mae's!Special Features:
- thehouswifeVIPDined on 9/5/2014Nice quaint restaurant in Gastown, some great dishes on the menu. The french onion soup was delicious. Service was attentive and was really on top of paying attention to details, such as a handwritten thank you card when the bill came. Most surprisingly, he owner came to greet us in the end as we were leaving with 2 gift cards for a brunch entree (one for each couple). We left as happy guests, will definitely go back to try their brunch!Special Features:
- Lovely brunch spot3kg14Dined on 8/30/2014We had a great Saturday brunch at Lily Mae's. The decor is adorable and the service was excellent. All of our questions were answered, service was prompt and the food was delicious. Topped off with a sweet little card with the bill, thanking us for our visit. I would definitely recommend Lily Mae's as a quaint brunch spot in Gastown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was okFiingDined on 8/22/2014The restaurant is very cute and seemingly popular. I adore the decor, but that is perhaps the only positive thing. My mussels was quite good though, I just wish it would have come with broth to dip bread in. I've never had mussels "dry" before. My boyfriends fish was also ok but the potatoes were a bit cold. Also, we had quite a few fruit flies that bothered us and decided to take a swim in our wine. It's that time of the year, but still a huge turn off. The service was also a little slower than average. For someone that's really interested in trying it out, id say go for it. Otherwise, there are a lot better restaurants in the neighbourhood!Special Features:
- The following 106 reviews are from the Lily Mae's reviews archive.
- Beautiful Setting;Great Service,butFrancofileDined on 8/8/2014This is the 3rd or 4th time I go to Lily Mae's. I live in the neighbourhood and am delighted to have such a sweet little gem in he hood. But the mains are always served cold. I'll probably keeping going back, but do hope that the mains can get more attention some day.Special Features:
- We liked itAtsanikDined on 7/23/2014Our first time at this restaurant. Just found it by wandering through OpenTable. The pork belly was very good. The oules and frites were ... OK. The mussels were good and there were a lot of them. Unlike a few places I have been, every mussel had opened. (It is scary when a chef misses dead mussels and serves them.) But, the frites were served on top of the mussels. This is odd: one of the charms of frites is that they are sknny and crisp, but 30 seconds on tops of the steaming mussels and they were just a soggy mass. Service was again ... OK. Not quite attentive enough, but friendly and competent. Undecided if we would go again. Lots of average restaurants to choose from.Special Features:
- DisasterPetervancouverDined on 7/19/2014Sometime between the salad/appetizer course, the entire kitchen staff left the restaurant. That's right, they walked out of the building! After a long wait I located the one of the owners and asked what was going on. No credible answer was forthcoming. Our re-heated food was later brought to our table. I managed to talk to the staff later and was brushed off when I asked what had happened. The food? Mediocre at best.
- Love that brunch!immabruncherDined on 7/13/2014Extremely tasty brunch. Best eggs benedict I have had here in Vancouver. And I eat a lot of eggs benedict!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- like2dineVIPDined on 7/3/2014great place for total dining experience . The service was friendly and attentive without being intrusive . Small but interesting menu . Portions could have been a bit bigger but overall a wonderful experienceSpecial Features:
- It was okkbpmvVIPDined on 7/3/2014I was enticed by other reviews to try Lily Mae's. Had mussels and fries which were quite strong but tasty, with yummy mayo. Melon and prosciutto salad was unremarkable. Peach pie for dessert was mostly pastry. Side of carmelized onions was literally two bites worth. Attentive service. Fabulous building in historic Gastown. It was a bit of a meh. Might have to return to give it a second chance.
- Great foodSandyRedDined on 6/22/2014The good was great, ambiance wonderful. Service a bit slow but we are American so we like quick service. Portions were small, but once again, we are American! I really enjoyed the place, would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a fantastic meal @ Lily MaesGtownerDined on 6/14/2014We always look forward to a great night a Lily Maes and once again they did not dissapointed. Great menu and service. One of a Gastown's true neighbourhood gems. Thanks!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lily Mae's in GastownfoodisfunDined on 6/13/2014Lily Mae's is a funky, small bistro with great decor and nice energy. The night we were there the service was slow (I think they must have been short handed). We ordered a dozen oysters to start and after waiting about half an hour the owner informed us that they were out of oysters and offered to go down the street and get some. The oysters were slow in coming but very fresh and good. A selection of sauces for dipping would have been nice. I had the calamari entree and my husband had the duck. This food was only average and unfortunately the portions were very small. Would we go back? Maybe. We really enjoyed the ambiance. But next time we'll ask more questions about the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French inspired gem of gastownSweettoothDined on 5/11/2014We've been here two Mother's Day in a row now because the food, service and ambiance are so perfect for a special brunch with family. The staff are friendly, the food is always delicious and the French bistro style is cute and quaint. I will definitely be going there more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's DaySymoneGDined on 5/11/2014We were very happy with the quick and friendly service for our brunch. The food choices were fantastic and their eggs benny was delicious! They even added a treat for mum on the house which was a really nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Nice restaurantMmmmmmDined on 5/11/2014Service was friendly, food was delicious. I'd say food came out a little slow, but it was worth the wait. The whole restaurant is just very well staged. It's a beautiful mix of delicate plates with rustic brick walls.Special Features:
- Mom's night outLadiesdine7Dined on 5/9/2014The ambience is very feminine and perfect for a ladies night. Drink list was unique and a hit. Appetizers were delicious but no one was that impressed with their main dish. Server wasn't friendly and didn't know anything about the menu. A friendlier server would have made a huge difference. Possibly she was just helping out for the night. Manager was nice and came by our table. Brunch would probably be a better option for this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lily Mae's is making great foodimmabruncherDined on 5/3/2014I am a foodie and an ex-chef and not often surprised. Lily Mae's food quality was of a level I haven't seen in many restaurants lately. We had an amazing meal and great service. I am looking forward to return for a lunch or dinner and see if they can continue the good work. FYI their hollandaise is the best in Vancouver (and I would know!) and their brunch put all the restaurants in Yaletown to shame. Great job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantastic serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/26/2014we had a birthday celebration at Lily Mae's and had a fantastic time. The service was fantastic, good food and great atmosphere.Special Features:
- Very good except...BenbooDined on 4/25/2014The ambience was beautiful, the beef bourguignon was amazing. Our server was super nice and really took good care of us. The only bad thing was that the food took a really long time to serve. I understand food is not served in microwave speed but it took at least one hour for the food to be served to us. And we were there at 5:45pm, early specifically because we wanted to avoid the rush hour. Don't order the snapper as my friends thought it didn't really taste amazing. I would give it another shot maybe they just had a bad day.Special Features:
- Go to Lily Mae's!libramoon1Dined on 4/20/2014it's adorable and delicious, and the ambience and service are lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best service evertaylormadeDined on 3/29/2014My daughter and I were out for dinner to celebrate her recent engagement. The restaurant is very pretty and busy in a good way. The waitress was attentive and provided just the right service. Her enthusiasm and professionalism was just the right mix to make the dining experience perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foodFoodiepDined on 3/29/2014This place has the best egg benny and french toast.Special Features:
- A Real Charmer!KoalabearVIPDined on 3/27/2014Because of widely differing reviews we weren't sure what to expect and we were delighted with the whole experience.We dined early before going to the Firehall Theatre a short walk away,so it was very quiet but I believe our fantastic server(Meaghan perhaps?) would have done as well in a busy setting.She was professional,friendly and funny.My friend had the Blackened Cod which was perfect,while I had the excellent chicken.The servings were generous,with plentiful vegetables.The wine suggestion(tasting offered) was just right,and the chef came by for a chat-always a good sign.The ambience is charming and we had no problem relaxing for over 2 hours.The appetizer and desert menu looked very appealing so a return is warranted very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/1/2014We had a lovely meal and our waitress was super friendly and nice. Only complaint was the slow service. I believe there was a reason for it but there was no gesture to apologise which would have been appreciated. We will try it again to see if the service improves but sadly it has prevented me from an outright recommendation to friends. Really loved the decor and general vibe.Special Features:
- The service is perfectHainesyVIPDined on 2/22/2014I've always liked Lily Mae's food. Top notch, original and consistent. But the reason I go back is the incredible service. One of my favourite places in the city. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Book clubBlueyDined on 2/16/2014Five of us met at Lilyy Mae's for our book club brunch. The food and service were great, we could hear each other talk and it was a central location for all of us coming from different parts of the city. Have been there before and would definately recommend it to friends who like a small and funky cafe! Thanks again.Special Features: