2515 Montana Ave
Billings, MT 59101Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lilacmt.com/
- Phone: 4069694959
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Jeremy Engebretson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Lilac
Lilac offers fine dining in a casual setting in the historical downtown Billings area. The restaurant is open Tuesday through Saturday evenings from 5pm to close. Our small seasonal menu changes frequently, with everything made fresh in house.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Lilac - Best Restaurants in Billings ›
Lilac reviews from OpenTable diners
87 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (68)special occasion (56)romantic (43)neighborhood gem (43)great for brunch (39)notable wine list (22)hot spot (16)good for groups (9)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (5)great for lunch (5)scenic view (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Best in BillingsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Amazing service, great specials, wonderful plates.Special Features:
- Wonderful SurpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Great small restaurant with a very interesting menu. The sweet corn appetizers and halibut special were amazing.Special Features:
- Great SpotEddieDined on 8/27/2014Inventive chef. Great service. Changing menu. Fair to good wine list. Comfortable casual ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely stunningLoveGoodFoodDined on 8/27/2014The hubs and I went on the spur of the moment. I had a tomato soup with lobster that was like dining in a garden. It was so fresh and yummy! Then I had the eggplant stuffed with tofu served over pickled cabbage. The ginger. The garlic. Even my husband loved it and he isn't a fan of "toe-food." His lamb was divine. Brad and Kevin were ever the gracious server and host. It was a PHENOMENAL meal. You are missing something special if you don't try Lilac!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always ImpressedjustruitDined on 8/24/2014Every time I go to Lilac there's something new and good on the menu! Brunch and dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlandJeanDined on 8/23/2014We had a great night at Lilac. We had not been in during the summer but were greeted warmly and welcomed back. Kylie (sp?) was our server. She recommended a great wine that we had not tried previously. She was attentive at just the right level. We were well taken care of but never pestered or hurried.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodie alertjules2190Dined on 8/22/2014We were in from Chicago where we have thousands of Resturants to choose from. If we lived in Billings we would be regulars for sure. The menu was different then what open table displayed however we had a fabulous meal. Curried shrimp app. BBQ pork chop & short rib all delicious!!! Dessert to die for stickey pudding with earl grey ice cream...Yum!!!check they're website as menu is seasonal & always changing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kk4goodeatsDined on 8/20/2014The striped bass was very good! My husband said his short ribs had wonderful flavor but not enough meat for him and too many potatoes. The parfait was yummy. Will be back to try something different. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful BrunchlovesexyfoodDined on 8/17/2014We had a wonderful dinner the previous night so my wife took me to brunch after looking at the menu on line. The staff told us the brunch was great. We had specialty mimosas, and corque madame and huckleberry blintz. Both were delicious and wonderful. The staff remembered us and were very pleasant. We saw a few children dining and they were welcomed by the staff and seemed to enjoy their meals also. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Classy and deliciouslovesexyfoodDined on 8/16/2014We had been wanting to go to Lilac for a while. We booked a reservation easily on line and received the time we wanted. We were greeted by a host, seated promptly, although we were early. Had drinks and menus promptly. Our food was served by the chef / proprietor. The food was beautifully prepared and exceeded our expectations. It was romantic, the staff had a great knowledge of the wines and took time to personalize our visit. We loved it so much we went back for brunch the following day. Which also exceeded our expectations. The brunch was delicious and presentation and mimosas were amazing. Can't wait to go back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LilacMrInternationalDined on 8/12/2014Its a small quaint restaurtant with a hometown feel. Service was excellent. I ordered the stuffed lamb, it was good. The menu is small but they know what their focus is.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy anniversaryTwix24Dined on 8/9/2014It was the perfect place to celebrate 34 years! The service was genuinely personal. I appreciate being able to try a wine before having to commit. Our food was tasty. Love the sticky toffee dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I ordered all 3 Dessertsfoodlover810Dined on 8/9/2014No matter how many time I go to the Lilac I'm wonderfully surprised every time. They are masters at artfully combining unique flavor combinations that are unexpected but by fare the best food I have ever ate. I recommend this restaurant to all my friends and family. The earl gray ice cream is so good I almost licked my plate. Keep up the good work Jeremy and staff you are doing a amazing job.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Three times a charm.LeadreDined on 8/7/2014We had friends arriving late and made reservations. This was our third visit recently and it has been perfect every time. The food is on par with the finest restaurants in town, the desserts better than many of the rest. It's a small, intimate restaurant with excellent and attentive service. As the crowd was winding down, we finally had the opportunity to meet the chef/owner; a young man with great modesty and humility. It's apparent that he serves what he loves and loves what he does. Well worth you time and at a price well under comperable restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- so sojlv0349Dined on 8/6/2014I took my wife to lilac for her birthday, it is herror favorite restaurant. When we got our food I immediately noticed a hair in my food. I told the waiter, he took the plate with out saying much. When he came back he apologized and said he wasn't sure where a hair that sized came from since no one with long hair was working in the kitchen. I don't want to hear excuses, I want to hear I'm sorry let me get you something else , let me take care of this. All they did was give me a free salad, which is a nice gesture, but in the long wrong taking care of my meal would have went much further for me.Special Features:
- overpriced and little selectuontastetesterDined on 8/5/2014Menu options are very little. Appetizers did not taste good. Entrees were tasty but not filling so come to taste but not fully eat. Service was poor even though it was not busy. Dessert was delicious.
- Outstanding but warmelkguyDined on 8/2/2014The food and service were outstanding as usual. The veal chop was very good and the chilled lobster salad gazpacho was fantastic. The air conditioning want working so it was quite earn on August 2; thus the 2 rating for ambience. The owner said he had been after the landlord to fix it for over s week. Shame on Mike Shaer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely coming back.MegsisDined on 8/1/2014Lilac was recommended to me by a friend who'd been wanting to try it for some time and I was blown away. The service was great, the food was fantastic, and the atmosphere was exactly what I was hoping for. Overall it was a wonderful dining experience, and it was affordable to boot. We'll definitely be coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Restaurant in BillingsteacherfoodieDined on 8/1/2014Lilac is really the best restaurant in Billings. The food is original, and perfectly prepared. We went two nights in a row because it is so damn good. The gaspacho will change your life! Also, the curried shrimp is a must have. The service is always top notch. My only complaint is the lack of air conditioning, but that is not the fault of the restaurant, but rather the building's owner. Even with the heat, I would go back again and again. Go to this restaurant if you love good food. If not, just go to Applebee's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinner PlacePatMDined on 7/31/2014Excellent food, innovative pairings of ingredients. Great place for an intimate dinner with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine diningflanksteakDined on 7/26/2014Had the flank steak. Very flavorful but quite spicy. Wife had the smoked fettucine and added shrimp. Biggest shrimp I've seen in quite a while, but seemed a tad overcooked, a touch on the tough side. But, all in all, a very nice dinner at a fairly reasonable cost.Special Features:
- DinneraidaDined on 7/23/2014I had the veal chop special and it was cooked just perfect. Loved the cauliflower puree and kale it came with. The pea soup as an appetizer was delicious. Service was also great. Will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceMTfoodieDined on 7/18/2014Wonderful variety of unique menu items. We ordered the fish special and the Chicken Schnitzel and the schnitzel was to die for! Great location on historic Montana Avenue, beautiful interior etc.Special Features:
- DisappointingJhebzDined on 7/17/2014We have had wonderful meals in the past at Lilac; the chef is talented. I took my visiting daughter from San Francisco and told her how good it would be. We had 2 small plates for starters and couldn't eat one. Her halibut was cooked to a hockey puck and she sent it back. They brought another that was seared on the outside and cold on the interior. I didn't even like my flank steak. I'm thinking the chef went home before we came.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/17/2014After traveling for 4 days , finding this restaurant was a welcomed experience. The food was fantastic and the waiter was great. highly recommendSpecial Features:
- Great AtmosphereKathywjDined on 7/15/2014The food was delicious but what made the experience of dining at Lilac was the warm, friendly and very helpful staff. I requested vegan options and those that were offered were wonderful. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful choicefoodloversDined on 7/13/2014Lilac is a must go to place to dine for any one visiting or who lives here!We'll be repeat customers. The food and atmosphere is the tops.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014Have enjoyed every visit to Lilac. Will definitely be back. The attention to detail is very impressive and the food is always enjoyable and ever changing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding as usualelkguyDined on 7/2/2014We chose Lilac to celebrate our 42nd anniversary. We had steak tartar, pea soup, green salad with kale chips, and pork belly appetizers, all were fantastic. My wife and I had wild boar stroganoff which they made with gluten free noodles to accommodate my wife. It was delicious. Our daughter had a scallop special, and our son in law had braised ribs. Definitely fit for foodies. We had some local brews to get started and enjoyed a nice bottle of Bordeaux with our meal. The desserts are over the top rich, shared several. Our waitress was attentive, but not overbearing. Another great evening.Special Features:
- Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014The mix of flavors is wonderful. Do not dine close to the end of the night though. The service and quality suffer from the staffs eagerness to leave.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jeremy does it again !BMWineanddineDined on 6/25/2014We dined at Lilac for my wife's birthday with close friends. Our starters included pea soup, a beef tartar, and a specialty cucumber plate that included a cucumber foam - from local produce. Our main courses were the salmon special (with spinach and a horseradish sauce !), and fettucini based on flour smoked with alderwood. Wow ! Desserts included the now-famous sticky toffee pudding and a panna cotta with a molasses cookie. Blown away ! If you still go to other restaurants (hint - rhymes with the Tex) its nobody's fault but your own.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- atmospherewheelsDined on 6/24/2014The decor, color, spaciousness went along with the great food and superb service. Not to fancy yet eloquent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AJW71Dined on 6/22/2014Lilac has the best brunch in town. Excellent variety of dishes that you won't find anywhere else. Blackberry mamosas are incredible.Special Features:
- FantasticfoodlovDined on 6/20/2014a quaint spot has really turned into the best place in town. the food is well balanced and the prices for what you get were right on. I would recommend it to every one. in my opinion the chef has become the best in town.Special Features:
- Foodie Chef totally at homeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/20/2014Ok Montana has a lot offer as far as the outdoors, personally I moved from Sarasota Florida to get away from the heat. The first time I came to lilacs was a year ago and u had a great meal but in the back of my head I was thinking it was a fluke. Consistent cusine is one of the hardest things a modern eateries have and in Montana double so. So went for my birthday on a Friday night not my usual day cause it's for those other dinners. In a word spectacular not only did the meal surpass my last experience it topped it. Great job !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unforgettable "date night"!Live2dineDined on 6/20/2014What a wonderful surprise! This was our first time at Lilac and we were pleasantly surprised. The service provided was fantastic, food was delicious, atmosphere was warm and welcoming. This is definately our new "date night" spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty GoodjennaDined on 6/20/2014The food was good, but it was also expensive with small portions. Everything was a-la-cart. When I am paying that much for a meal, I have higher expectations. I thought the food was good, but not quite at good as the cost. So overall, I just would say that my meal did not match the price.Special Features:
- Good but noisyPeggyDined on 6/15/2014Nice menu for brunch. The food was good. Service was great. However, it was so noisy I had to shout for my partner to hear me.Special Features:
- ShannonDined on 6/15/2014Love the Lilac! Best Brunch in Billings, always great food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in town!DowntownersDined on 6/15/2014Our favorite spot by far. Best food, staff. Amazing brunch and best desserts in town.Special Features: