2515 Montana Ave
Billings, MT 59101Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lilacmt.com/
- Phone: 4069694959
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Jeremy Engebretson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Lilac
Lilac offers fine dining in a casual setting in the historical downtown Billings area. The restaurant is open Tuesday through Saturday evenings from 5pm to close. Our small seasonal menu changes frequently, with everything made fresh in house.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Lilac - Best Restaurants in Billings ›
Lilac reviews from OpenTable diners
90 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (73)special occasion (59)romantic (39)neighborhood gem (37)great for brunch (30)notable wine list (21)hot spot (18)good for groups (10)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (4)great for lunch (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- WonderfulFoodieDined on 9/27/2014Small but diverse menu. Excellent, wonderful dining experience. Peanut Butter parfait dessert was outstanding!Special Features:
- ExcellentDaveDined on 9/27/2014Lilac has become our go to eatery!! The food is always great backed by a great staff.Special Features:
- Delicious and creative!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014Our first time with friends dining at Lilac. Very pleased with the meal. We shared three excellent appetizers: a creamy corn dish with mushrooms that was fabulous, very fine clams in a light broth, and a shrimp plate with meaty and tasty shrimp. The mains were excellent, too: gnocchi with a short ribs sauce and herb crusted lamb with sautéed apples. Finally, the dessert with sticky pudding and Earl Grey ice cream was as special as others described. Only complaint is Where were the vegetables??? Only one salad among the appetizer choices and not one vegetable on the mains. For a restaurant with a chef who clearly focuses on healthy foods and fresh ingredients, I felt our dining experience lacked balance.Special Features:
- Fantastic Food!DinediggityDined on 9/25/2014Everything we ate was delicious! Clams, Sword fish special with rice noodles & Miso sauce, skirt steak with potatoes and corn bread ice cream for dessert. AMAZING!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb!charlestonfoodieDined on 9/23/2014In Billings on our way west as a stopover. Knew nothing about the town or its restaurants. Found Lilac on line and then read reviews in Open Table and Trip Advisor. Huge majority positive so gave it a try. Oh my goodness...what a find. We live in Charleston, SC which is the foodiest place I know and Lilac could rival any restaurant there for inventiveness, taste, and sophistication. Staff was great as well. Rarely ask to speak to a chef but did here because we had to let him know our delight. If you're going by Billings, live there, or have reason to be near by, go to Lilac. As the Michelin Guide woud say, "worth a detour."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food in Billings.JhebzDined on 9/20/2014Started with a delicious curried shrimp and rice pancake...creative. My halibut was delicious. The chef's preparation really complimented the fish. The duck breast with chanterelles was delicious and beautifully prepared also. All in all a wonderful evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUMMY2Dined on 9/20/2014Great meal and fun atmosphere! Celebrated a special occasion at this amazing place. Thanks for making it even more special.Special Features:
- Special day made perfect!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014Reminded me of my five star experiences in metropolitan establishments! My sons birthday celebration was made even more awesome by the management. The food was perfect! The presentation spot on and the service was great! We've already recommended Lilac to several friends and we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Urban & Hip in Billings, MTlilacewdDined on 9/18/2014Great food and very friendly and helpful service! The desserts are wonderful The noise level however from other quests is too loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favoritesJeffDined on 9/13/2014Lilac is one of our first choices for a dinner out. The menu always has something new and exciting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!ForrestersDined on 9/12/2014We love lilac! Every time we go we have had an amazing experience. Fantastic menu and great staff!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dandtcDined on 9/9/2014The food and service are always exceptional. One of our favorite places!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place to eat in BillingsPepperPDined on 9/6/2014We visited Lilac on Saturday night Sept 6th. We flew into Billings to start our trip down Beartooth Highway to Yellowstone. Our server was attentive and knowledgeable and the atmosphere was warm and welcoming. My husband and I split a salad. I had the stuffed eggplant and he had the pork chop with an egg on top accompanied by perfectly roasted brussel sprouts. Both of our meals were fresh, lively and very flavorful. My husband sometimes does not recognize subtle differences in food or in its presentation, but this meal delighted him completely as it did me. The wine menu was thoughtful and complemented the food offered. I will visit again on our next trip to BillingsSpecial Features:
- Birthday dinnerTwix24Dined on 9/3/2014Had a tasty dinner. Dessert with the .fresh peaches was divine. Love being able to sit and be well taken care of. We did not feel rushed at all.Special Features:
- Best in BillingseveynlouDined on 8/30/2014Amazing service, great specials, wonderful plates.Special Features:
- Wonderful SurpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Great small restaurant with a very interesting menu. The sweet corn appetizers and halibut special were amazing.Special Features:
- Great SpotEddieDined on 8/27/2014Inventive chef. Great service. Changing menu. Fair to good wine list. Comfortable casual ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely stunningLoveGoodFoodDined on 8/27/2014The hubs and I went on the spur of the moment. I had a tomato soup with lobster that was like dining in a garden. It was so fresh and yummy! Then I had the eggplant stuffed with tofu served over pickled cabbage. The ginger. The garlic. Even my husband loved it and he isn't a fan of "toe-food." His lamb was divine. Brad and Kevin were ever the gracious server and host. It was a PHENOMENAL meal. You are missing something special if you don't try Lilac!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always ImpressedjustruitDined on 8/24/2014Every time I go to Lilac there's something new and good on the menu! Brunch and dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlandJeanDined on 8/23/2014We had a great night at Lilac. We had not been in during the summer but were greeted warmly and welcomed back. Kylie (sp?) was our server. She recommended a great wine that we had not tried previously. She was attentive at just the right level. We were well taken care of but never pestered or hurried.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodie alertjules2190Dined on 8/22/2014We were in from Chicago where we have thousands of Resturants to choose from. If we lived in Billings we would be regulars for sure. The menu was different then what open table displayed however we had a fabulous meal. Curried shrimp app. BBQ pork chop & short rib all delicious!!! Dessert to die for stickey pudding with earl grey ice cream...Yum!!!check they're website as menu is seasonal & always changing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kk4goodeatsDined on 8/20/2014The striped bass was very good! My husband said his short ribs had wonderful flavor but not enough meat for him and too many potatoes. The parfait was yummy. Will be back to try something different. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful BrunchlovesexyfoodDined on 8/17/2014We had a wonderful dinner the previous night so my wife took me to brunch after looking at the menu on line. The staff told us the brunch was great. We had specialty mimosas, and corque madame and huckleberry blintz. Both were delicious and wonderful. The staff remembered us and were very pleasant. We saw a few children dining and they were welcomed by the staff and seemed to enjoy their meals also. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Classy and deliciouslovesexyfoodDined on 8/16/2014We had been wanting to go to Lilac for a while. We booked a reservation easily on line and received the time we wanted. We were greeted by a host, seated promptly, although we were early. Had drinks and menus promptly. Our food was served by the chef / proprietor. The food was beautifully prepared and exceeded our expectations. It was romantic, the staff had a great knowledge of the wines and took time to personalize our visit. We loved it so much we went back for brunch the following day. Which also exceeded our expectations. The brunch was delicious and presentation and mimosas were amazing. Can't wait to go back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LilacMrInternationalDined on 8/12/2014Its a small quaint restaurtant with a hometown feel. Service was excellent. I ordered the stuffed lamb, it was good. The menu is small but they know what their focus is.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy anniversaryTwix24Dined on 8/9/2014It was the perfect place to celebrate 34 years! The service was genuinely personal. I appreciate being able to try a wine before having to commit. Our food was tasty. Love the sticky toffee dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I ordered all 3 Dessertsfoodlover810Dined on 8/9/2014No matter how many time I go to the Lilac I'm wonderfully surprised every time. They are masters at artfully combining unique flavor combinations that are unexpected but by fare the best food I have ever ate. I recommend this restaurant to all my friends and family. The earl gray ice cream is so good I almost licked my plate. Keep up the good work Jeremy and staff you are doing a amazing job.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Three times a charm.LeadreDined on 8/7/2014We had friends arriving late and made reservations. This was our third visit recently and it has been perfect every time. The food is on par with the finest restaurants in town, the desserts better than many of the rest. It's a small, intimate restaurant with excellent and attentive service. As the crowd was winding down, we finally had the opportunity to meet the chef/owner; a young man with great modesty and humility. It's apparent that he serves what he loves and loves what he does. Well worth you time and at a price well under comperable restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- so sojlv0349Dined on 8/6/2014I took my wife to lilac for her birthday, it is herror favorite restaurant. When we got our food I immediately noticed a hair in my food. I told the waiter, he took the plate with out saying much. When he came back he apologized and said he wasn't sure where a hair that sized came from since no one with long hair was working in the kitchen. I don't want to hear excuses, I want to hear I'm sorry let me get you something else , let me take care of this. All they did was give me a free salad, which is a nice gesture, but in the long wrong taking care of my meal would have went much further for me.Special Features:
- overpriced and little selectuontastetesterDined on 8/5/2014Menu options are very little. Appetizers did not taste good. Entrees were tasty but not filling so come to taste but not fully eat. Service was poor even though it was not busy. Dessert was delicious.
- Outstanding but warmelkguyDined on 8/2/2014The food and service were outstanding as usual. The veal chop was very good and the chilled lobster salad gazpacho was fantastic. The air conditioning want working so it was quite earn on August 2; thus the 2 rating for ambience. The owner said he had been after the landlord to fix it for over s week. Shame on Mike Shaer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely coming back.MegsisDined on 8/1/2014Lilac was recommended to me by a friend who'd been wanting to try it for some time and I was blown away. The service was great, the food was fantastic, and the atmosphere was exactly what I was hoping for. Overall it was a wonderful dining experience, and it was affordable to boot. We'll definitely be coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Restaurant in BillingsteacherfoodieDined on 8/1/2014Lilac is really the best restaurant in Billings. The food is original, and perfectly prepared. We went two nights in a row because it is so damn good. The gaspacho will change your life! Also, the curried shrimp is a must have. The service is always top notch. My only complaint is the lack of air conditioning, but that is not the fault of the restaurant, but rather the building's owner. Even with the heat, I would go back again and again. Go to this restaurant if you love good food. If not, just go to Applebee's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinner PlacePatMDined on 7/31/2014Excellent food, innovative pairings of ingredients. Great place for an intimate dinner with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine diningflanksteakDined on 7/26/2014Had the flank steak. Very flavorful but quite spicy. Wife had the smoked fettucine and added shrimp. Biggest shrimp I've seen in quite a while, but seemed a tad overcooked, a touch on the tough side. But, all in all, a very nice dinner at a fairly reasonable cost.Special Features:
- DinneraidaDined on 7/23/2014I had the veal chop special and it was cooked just perfect. Loved the cauliflower puree and kale it came with. The pea soup as an appetizer was delicious. Service was also great. Will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceMTfoodieDined on 7/18/2014Wonderful variety of unique menu items. We ordered the fish special and the Chicken Schnitzel and the schnitzel was to die for! Great location on historic Montana Avenue, beautiful interior etc.Special Features:
- DisappointingJhebzDined on 7/17/2014We have had wonderful meals in the past at Lilac; the chef is talented. I took my visiting daughter from San Francisco and told her how good it would be. We had 2 small plates for starters and couldn't eat one. Her halibut was cooked to a hockey puck and she sent it back. They brought another that was seared on the outside and cold on the interior. I didn't even like my flank steak. I'm thinking the chef went home before we came.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JoeyDined on 7/17/2014After traveling for 4 days , finding this restaurant was a welcomed experience. The food was fantastic and the waiter was great. highly recommendSpecial Features:
- Great AtmosphereKathywjDined on 7/15/2014The food was delicious but what made the experience of dining at Lilac was the warm, friendly and very helpful staff. I requested vegan options and those that were offered were wonderful. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.