3001 Hennepin Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55408Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://libertinempls.com/
- Phone: (612) 877-7263
- Hours of Operation:
Monday – Thursday 4:30 PM - 1 AM
Friday 4:30 PM - 2 AM
Saturday 10 AM - 2 AM
Sunday 10 AM - 1 AM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Steve Hesse
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Lake Street
- Public Transit: Metro Transit routes: 6, 17, 21, & 23
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Public parking ramp adjacent to Calhoun Square (rates listed in link below) or free street parking beginning at 33rd and Girard and South.
A word from Libertine
Traditional butcher cuts of meat dominate the food offerings at James Beard winner Tim McKee’s casual, accessibly priced neighborhood bar and restaurant. Master drinkmaker Johnny Michaels’ collection of cocktails, spirits and beers complements McKee’s à la carte, shareable dishes, creating an environment that’s equal parts restaurant, bar, lounge and neighborhood hangout.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Libertine - Best Restaurants in Uptown ›
Libertine reviews from OpenTable diners
222 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (149)hot spot (98)vibrant bar scene (94)good for groups (83)neighborhood gem (51)special occasion (50)late-night find (38)great for outdoor dining (36)great for brunch (21)scenic view (20)romantic (18)notable wine list (7)kid-friendly (7)great for lunch (5)Show More
- WHAT !!!! ?????MikeVIPDined on 11/15/2014On Saturday night, we had a fairly good meal (if overly expensive) at Libertine. All food was quite good, and the service was good also. But the noise level, rated as "energetic", was, more to the point, deafening, due largely to the extremely loud rock music that naturally amped up the crowd. The music and noise ruined our entire dinner. Unfortunately, we won't return for more torture.
- Loved it!CAH1694Dined on 11/14/2014We all (5 of us) had a different protein - loved it all; shrimp as advertised, was messy and the person having short ribs said his was the best! We enjoyed the sides too! Looking forward to going back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!AbugetDined on 11/14/2014We had a very good mix of vegetables and meats and shared plates with 4 women. We had the avocado crab, Korean spare ribs, burger cauliflower and tofu! Amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jjlaDined on 11/13/2014Our waiter was especially knowledgeable and fun. Food was delicious! Had lots of interesting flavors. Would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Uptown RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/12/2014This place was great; definitely a place to be seen. Wonderful food with spectacular presentation. Beer/Cocktail/Wine list was impressive. Price was more than reasonable, some entrees less than $20. Get the pork chop.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reservation was 25 minutes latemack0100Dined on 11/8/2014Went to Libertine for the 2nd time. We had a reservation but didn't get seated until 25 minutes after the reservation. With tickets to a show after this made the dinner rushed and unenjoyable. The food was just OK. I had the flat iron pork which was a bit tough. Not near as good as the steak I had on our previous visit. Not good enough to risk another night out at Libertine.
- ServiceFirsttimerDined on 11/8/2014I have eaten at Libertine twice and I have had two amazing meals. Unfortunately, both meals I had terrible service. For such good food, the waitresses were not very knowledgeable and they were not attentive, letting drinks run out and not checking in on us. Unfortunately, the service will impact my decision to return.Special Features:
- Luv2eatDined on 11/8/2014Very professional service, wine list had some great less exspensive options, food was great, happy staff which makes for happy customers. Would def go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- libertineScottcoDined on 11/8/2014What an excellent dining experience! This probably ranks in the top five of the restaurant meals I had. Everything we tried was wonderful, and we tried 12 different items from appetizers to desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice is so specialWonderfulVIPDined on 11/8/2014The staff here were WONDERFUL WONDERFUL - so accommodating, which is really important... I can't tell you how much I appreciate their effort to accommodate us - and - give us such great service! LOVED IT! LOVED THE FOOD! AWESOMESpecial Features:
- Wow! So disappointing.MnmargeDined on 11/7/20146 of us ate at Libertine last night. Service was so poor. Asked the waitress if there were any specials and she said " Only me" and left it at that. Food was good but came in stages which they said would happen. So we had salads, appetizers and dinners coming at the same time. Not organized. Our table was sitting with our empty plates for at least 25 minutes until we asked someone to clear the table. Gave up on getting another drink and just asked for our bill. Sorry but won't return. Very loud restaurant.Special Features:
- Great food, great serviceEmptyNestersVIPDined on 11/5/2014Late dinner impulse. Though a bit on the expensive side, I would say it was worth it. The Korean bbq ribs were special. Loved the avocado/crab dish. The Libertine cocktail was perfect. --Great impulse dining!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Libertine FunKpKazooDined on 10/31/2014Great food, service was good, and fun atmosphere. But it was a bit loud for what I had hoped, having never been there. So be prepared to speak up and listen carefully. Recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef Does it againChef2ChefDined on 10/31/2014Outstanding food, friendly and inviting atmosphere. James Beard winner Chef Tim McKee has launch yet another great Resturant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new Uptown destination!platinumbeardDined on 10/31/2014Fabulously unusual cuts of meat well prepared. Had an amazing cocktail too. Nice addition to the Uptown dining scene although with everything al la carte a bit pricy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night outNancySGVIPDined on 10/28/2014This was my second visit to Libertine, and it did not disappoint. Our group sampled various items on the menu, and enjoyed it all - feather steak, korean short ribs, avocado and crab, kale, artichokes, and more. The servers are very friendly and helpful, and really know the menu inside and out. Cocktails are sure tasty too - loved "The Shadow Knows". We will be back again.Special Features:
- Libertine LetdownFoodieFunDined on 10/26/2014even with a half empty restaurant, we were left waiting while the hostesses chit chat. Our server rarely came around to even take our order, the manager had to come and bring us our tab. When ordered our drinks, a large portion of the beer or cocktails were not available for one reason or another. It's a la carte style food menu will leave you very unevenly dissatisfied and with a large tab. The ham was just that, a slab of ham the size of your plate for $19, which comes with one onion ring...nothing else. The flank steak was good but extremely small, a few bites and you're done. I had high expectations from a Tim McKee Restaruant but I was highly let down. I will not return or recommend Libertine in the future.Special Features:
- Tasty but too saltyFlamingoDined on 10/26/2014The food is very well presented and several of the dishes (such as pigs ears) are quite imaginatively done. The cuts of meat are excellent. But of the three pork items that we had at our table, all were far too salty. I typically like to add salt to my food, so that may give you some idea of what level of salt I am used to. But the excess salt on all the items here made it a chore to eat them. I would not be interested in going back.
- OverpricedShakaDined on 10/25/2014Great atmosphere and energetic service but way overpriced for what you get. Three tiny tuna tacos? Tasty but worth half the cost. Side of corn which looked like 1 and 1/2 cobs cut up? 2 slices of less then imaginative tofu on a plate? Martini that I asked for very chilled must have been sitting for a bit as there was no chill. Sorry, too many restaurants in the cities to return unless we hear of improvement.Special Features:
- Not worth the $$WinkyDined on 10/25/2014My friends & I agreed that the food was OK, but we probably wouldn't be back. It's set up so that you're supposed to share your plates, which come out at different times (and at wildly different temps). While that works well with the sides, I don't think it's that easy to share many of the meats they offer, a burger, for example, or a flank steak. My flank steak came out last by about 5 minutes and was a tepid temperature that they did take back and re-sear, but it still wasn't warm enough for my friends & me. The baby potatoes, on the other hand, were so hot, I practically burned my mouth. Most food OK--faves were the steak burger & the squash--but not worth the $$ and too noisy for anyone wanting more than a 2-person conversation.
- Good and loudBerky64VIPDined on 10/25/2014Tim McKee's concept at Libertine is using cheaper, more flavorful cuts of meat and it totally works. The feather and point steaks were great and tender. Our server was fun and attentive. Our one complaint was the noise level. The music was turned up so loud that it forced people to talk louder to hear each other. Not a plus!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Communal tablesKSMODined on 10/24/2014Why does every faux-trendy restaurant insist on communal tables? That's so five years ago and no one likes then. The service was a bit slow; it took about 20 minutes to clear our plates after we were done eating. The food was OK, but I've had better in airports.
- DisappointedgreghDined on 10/24/2014Noise level disturbing. Food was mediocre. Extremely disappointing for a restaurant associated with Tim McKee. We were expecting so much more. Will definately not go again.
- Vegetarian friendlyYummyDined on 10/23/2014Brought my girlfriend here to try Libertine, she is a vegetarian. They have awesome veggie dishes. We had the beet plate, stuffed mushrooms, & the caramelized cauliflower. All was delicious & perfect amount to share everything down the middle. For dessert we got the baked Alaska, AMAZING. Can't wait to go back. Our server, Alan, was prompt & helpful. It was an overall wonderful dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedHighExpectationsDined on 10/23/2014Unfortunately, dining at Libertine was not as expected. The reviewer raved about the restaurant and my first thought "they must have been paid to give a good review. My husband had a steak that was very tough, I had a steak hamburger that I thought was very chewy and tough. It appeared large when it arrived only to find out it was a huge bun "where's the beef?". Our friend had the lamb burger and wasn't happy with his selection. With 90 new restaurants in the TC area, I don't find a need to go back to Libertine.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/22/2014My burger was terrific; I'd order it again and again. The lamb entree was not available, so the other two diners took the waiter's suggestion and had the pork steak. Mistake!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More than it's wortheater123VIPDined on 10/18/2014Waited 45 minutes for a reservation. Service messed up entire meal. Food was average at best. Drinks were too highly praised and what's with the giant ice cubes?
- Libertine your taste buds!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/17/2014Great night out, fun place to go with a group and share dishes and a terrific vibe. Order the bone marrow toast... delicious and it comes with a shot that uses the bone as a luge!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Funyucky13Dined on 10/17/2014We brought friends from San Francisco and they loved it. Good vibe, good service, good food. It's uptown so expect hipsters! For fun do the Bone Marrow and ask for the complimentary whiskey. (Makes for funny pics) Eat the bacon chop and kale. My husband normally hates kale and are nearly the entire bowl.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bacon chopMarcDined on 10/17/2014We had some tasty food especially the bacon chop and steak burger. Service was great.Special Features:
- girls night outOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014Went there to celebrate birthdays, had a wonderful time, great food, excellent recommendations from menuSpecial Features:
- Food GREAT, noise level AWFUL LOUDStuartBDined on 10/15/2014The decibel level was over 90 DB. Food was excellent but the loudness of the percussion "music", which was not necessary since the ambient noise of the full restaurant was plenty loud, was so distracting that it ruined the dining experience. We were good patrons, we had 4 cocktails, 1, $55 bottle wine, 3 appetizers and 4 entrees. It's our 2nd time there, never again. Server was Stef, and she was excellent. She had to scream to allow us to hear her. We also had to shout to place our order.....it was nuts. We asked for the "music" to be turned down....no!Special Features:
- Food was goodcazzimaDined on 10/15/2014First time at this place. The appearance was nice, the wait staff were very friendly, knowledgeable and energetic. Their cocktail list did not excite us. What we had, and even ones not on their drink list, were not wowers. Did not exactly enjoy their pigs ears either. But we had the bone marrow, the onglet steak and the bacon pork chop. All of that was quite delicious! If you're in the under 50 crowd, this place would probably be just fine for you. Though we did have a good time and good food, it just didn't wow us enough to want to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Libertine fails to impressOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/13/2014My entree arrived about 2 minutes after our appetizers arrived. My friend's entree didn't arrive for another 10 or so minutes. We were never offered a dessert menu or asked if we would like anything else. After my friend's entree arrived, our waiter was nowhere to be found until we finally flagged him down for the bill. The food was decent, nothing special and the service was truly poor, albeit everyone was very friendly and nice.
- CklsDined on 10/12/2014My husband and I ordered the steak burger and the lamb burger and split. They were both very flavorful and juicy. We were there early, 5:30, on a Sunday afternoon so I cannot comment on noise level or bar scene. We will go back to try some of the other unique dishes.Special Features:
- Sunday BrunchgoodeaterVIPDined on 10/12/2014We enjoyed brunch very much. We chose the classic breakfast and lamb burger (stuffed with brie). Both were well-prepared. It was pleasantly busy without being a madhouse. Would like to see espresso offered. Server seemed a bit inexperienced, but was friendly.Special Features:
- Awesome small plates and cocktailsJasonDined on 10/10/2014They have an awesome drink menu that is complimented will by a variety of delicious small plate options. The Korean pork ribs were the outstanding item of the evening. The pineapple habanero margarita was also surprisingly good. I thought it would be too sweet but it had enough habanero to offset the sweetness.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new find1winesnobVIPDined on 10/10/2014Libertine was a wonderful find. As suggested by our server, we ordered 5 sides and 3 entrees to share between four of us and loved all of them except for one. The crafted cocktails were great. The quality of food for the price was exceptional. Only thing I would change is the noise level. I can understand wanting to have loud music in the bar area on a Friday night, but not throughout the restaurant. It made it extremely difficult to carryon a conversation. even the server had to "yell" for us to hear. I actually had a laryngitis the next day.Special Features:
- I wasn't recognizedcarlieDined on 10/9/2014I've read the Libertine reviews written by the well known restaurant critics. I can't figure out why they've Libertine a good write up? Perhaps the chefs recognize the critics faces, thereby making a real effort in the kitchen? Our group didn't receive the same effort. Our meal was not good. Very disappointing.
- Excellent FindRodgerDined on 10/8/2014Our daughter suggested we give this a try and we were delighted. We will be back. All 4 meals were original and tasted great: point steak, chicken (2) and ribs. Service was ezcellent.Special Features: