3001 Hennepin Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55408Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://libertinempls.com/
- Phone: 6128777263x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday – Thursday 4:30 PM - 1 AM
Friday 4:30 PM - 2 AM
Saturday 10 AM - 2 AM
Sunday 10 AM - 1 AM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Steve Hesse
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Lake Street
- Public Transit: Metro Transit routes: 6, 17, 21, & 23
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Public parking ramp adjacent to Calhoun Square (rates listed in link below) or free street parking beginning at 33rd and Girard and South.
A word from Libertine
Traditional butcher cuts of meat dominate the food offerings at James Beard winner Tim McKee’s casual, accessibly priced neighborhood bar and restaurant. Master drinkmaker Johnny Michaels’ collection of cocktails, spirits and beers complements McKee’s à la carte, shareable dishes, creating an environment that’s equal parts restaurant, bar, lounge and neighborhood hangout.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Libertine - Best Restaurants in Uptown ›
Libertine reviews from OpenTable diners
176 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (124)hot spot (84)vibrant bar scene (83)good for groups (67)neighborhood gem (46)special occasion (45)great for outdoor dining (32)late-night find (31)scenic view (24)romantic (15)great for brunch (14)notable wine list (5)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- Libertine your taste buds!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/17/2014Great night out, fun place to go with a group and share dishes and a terrific vibe. Order the bone marrow toast... delicious and it comes with a shot that uses the bone as a luge!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Funyucky13Dined on 10/17/2014We brought friends from San Francisco and they loved it. Good vibe, good service, good food. It's uptown so expect hipsters! For fun do the Bone Marrow and ask for the complimentary whiskey. (Makes for funny pics) Eat the bacon chop and kale. My husband normally hates kale and are nearly the entire bowl.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bacon chopOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/17/2014We had some tasty food especially the bacon chop and steak burger. Service was great.Special Features:
- girls night outOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014Went there to celebrate birthdays, had a wonderful time, great food, excellent recommendations from menuSpecial Features:
- Food GREAT, noise level AWFUL LOUDStuartBDined on 10/15/2014The decibel level was over 90 DB. Food was excellent but the loudness of the percussion "music", which was not necessary since the ambient noise of the full restaurant was plenty loud, was so distracting that it ruined the dining experience. We were good patrons, we had 4 cocktails, 1, $55 bottle wine, 3 appetizers and 4 entrees. It's our 2nd time there, never again. Server was Stef, and she was excellent. She had to scream to allow us to hear her. We also had to shout to place our order.....it was nuts. We asked for the "music" to be turned down....no!Special Features:
- Food was goodcazzimaDined on 10/15/2014First time at this place. The appearance was nice, the wait staff were very friendly, knowledgeable and energetic. Their cocktail list did not excite us. What we had, and even ones not on their drink list, were not wowers. Did not exactly enjoy their pigs ears either. But we had the bone marrow, the onglet steak and the bacon pork chop. All of that was quite delicious! If you're in the under 50 crowd, this place would probably be just fine for you. Though we did have a good time and good food, it just didn't wow us enough to want to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Libertine fails to impressOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/13/2014My entree arrived about 2 minutes after our appetizers arrived. My friend's entree didn't arrive for another 10 or so minutes. We were never offered a dessert menu or asked if we would like anything else. After my friend's entree arrived, our waiter was nowhere to be found until we finally flagged him down for the bill. The food was decent, nothing special and the service was truly poor, albeit everyone was very friendly and nice.
- CklsDined on 10/12/2014My husband and I ordered the steak burger and the lamb burger and split. They were both very flavorful and juicy. We were there early, 5:30, on a Sunday afternoon so I cannot comment on noise level or bar scene. We will go back to try some of the other unique dishes.Special Features:
- Sunday BrunchgoodeaterVIPDined on 10/12/2014We enjoyed brunch very much. We chose the classic breakfast and lamb burger (stuffed with brie). Both were well-prepared. It was pleasantly busy without being a madhouse. Would like to see espresso offered. Server seemed a bit inexperienced, but was friendly.Special Features:
- Awesome small plates and cocktailsJasonDined on 10/10/2014They have an awesome drink menu that is complimented will by a variety of delicious small plate options. The Korean pork ribs were the outstanding item of the evening. The pineapple habanero margarita was also surprisingly good. I thought it would be too sweet but it had enough habanero to offset the sweetness.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new find1winesnobDined on 10/10/2014Libertine was a wonderful find. As suggested by our server, we ordered 5 sides and 3 entrees to share between four of us and loved all of them except for one. The crafted cocktails were great. The quality of food for the price was exceptional. Only thing I would change is the noise level. I can understand wanting to have loud music in the bar area on a Friday night, but not throughout the restaurant. It made it extremely difficult to carryon a conversation. even the server had to "yell" for us to hear. I actually had a laryngitis the next day.Special Features:
- I wasn't recognizedcarlieDined on 10/9/2014I've read the Libertine reviews written by the well known restaurant critics. I can't figure out why they've Libertine a good write up? Perhaps the chefs recognize the critics faces, thereby making a real effort in the kitchen? Our group didn't receive the same effort. Our meal was not good. Very disappointing.
- Excellent FindRodgerDined on 10/8/2014Our daughter suggested we give this a try and we were delighted. We will be back. All 4 meals were original and tasted great: point steak, chicken (2) and ribs. Service was ezcellent.Special Features:
- DisappointedPlinyDined on 10/4/2014I was quite disappointed in the restaurant overall. The bar scene is obviously the draw and although the food was quite good, especially the ahi tuna, the overall experience was disappointing. There is no ambiance. The artichoke appetizer was good but would have preferred more whole artichokes and less artichoke bits, the avocado salad was quite tasty as well but it was obvious that it was right out of the refrigerator and too cold, the shrimp in the shrimp appetizer were less than fresh, and the drinks, although quite good are quite small. We will stick to our favorites, Sea Change, Meritage, Saffron, and a real hit Braisserie Zentral.Special Features:
- ChuckandmacDined on 10/4/2014Our watier, CJ was fantastic and gave great recommendations on drinks and food. He made the night fun and we loved everything he recommended. We had the bone marrow, pig's ears, lamb and brie lucy and smoked chocoloate tart...all delicious. Most memorable by far was the bone marrow + bone marrow luge :)Special Features:
- First timeFantasticVIPDined on 10/4/2014First time but certainly not our last time. Great food.Special Features:
- Amazing foodIke10VIPDined on 10/3/2014Fantastic food - try the Bacon Chop - it is amazing. The best advice is to go with a few people and split several dishes. I was very impressed. I have heard issues regarding services but we did not have any problems and the services was in general very good and the food came out timely. The biggest thing I don't understand is how we were able to get reservations only a few days in advanced - this is a top tier restaurant based on the food in my opinion and I'm surprised they had openings. Go while you can still get a seat.Special Features:
- Another home run...JannDined on 10/3/2014After initailly trying Libertine about 2 weeks ago, we wanted to go back because we kind of craved their appetizers. We were once again impressed by their tartare and fried artichokes, and can now add the kale to our list of favorites! The Korean bbq ribs are tender, meaty and delicious, as is the much lauded bacon chop - so tasty! Both times we have been there, the manager has stopped by to see how we are doing - and as we left, the manager passed by my husband, who is also named Tom, and said, "Have a good night, Tom." Impressive that he remembered his name. We will be back -- this place is better each time we stop in!Special Features:
- tastytreatDined on 9/27/2014The food was excellent here. Korean style barbecue ribs, a pork chop that was to die for, and the sides of Kale and stuffed mushrooms were very good. The service was professional and fun. The bad news is in the section we were seated in the noise level was outrageous. The contemporary decorating and smooth surfaces bounced the sound around so much that you had to yell to talk to your date Not good. Maybe if I was 20 years old it would have been ok-which most people were. Other areas of the restaurant had booths, and they appeared to be much quieter. If you go , demand to be seated there.
- Anniversary CelebrationpickyfoodyDined on 9/26/2014My wife and I tried out Libertine to celebrate our wedding anniversary (34). Great mixology on drinks with a very good drink menu. Very diverse food menu featuring "butcher cuts". Wait staff was very friendly and helpful, they could answer questions about any item on the menu and will to offer suggestions. Very reasonable prices. And by the way the lamb and beef cuts were excellent.Special Features:
- Really SpecialAgiocambosDined on 9/21/2014What's really interesting about Libertine is the deceptive simplicity of the dishes. Many are indeed not very complicated, with only a few ingredients or seasonings beyond the base protein or vegetable, but you can tell that overarching talent went into their creation, because each dish is interesting, each burst with flavor. Some of my favorites: the Korean-style pork ribs, the lamb saddle chop, the pork shoulder and the tofu. In fact, the non-meat dishes are spectacular here, from the beets and kale to the sweet corn and the charred cauliflower. I love the Calamansi dessert, too -- it's second only to the smoked chocolate tart. I also like Libertine's relaxed vibe -- how the decor doesn't try too hard, and how the staff are so friendly.Special Features:
- Decent Uptown Brunch ChoiceFoodieGurlVIPDined on 9/21/2014This was our first time here since the changeover from Uptown Cafeteria. The change in decor is just so-so, but the food is what matters and it was good. Just like Uptown, Libertine is a nice place to brunch with tried and true standard. There were four of us and we had the banana bread (a bit crumbly, but flavorful). The chicken and waffles were good, as was the crispy tofu, eggs benedict, lemon crepes, and banana bread french toast. The new menu is a bit confusing at first, and it makes no sense to not have a sides option with reasonably priced bacon, eggs, or sausage but don't let that dissuade you. The Libertine is a decent brunch choice for the uptown area.Special Features:
- Great Spot - Great NightRockingrooftopDined on 9/20/2014We had a great night - the staff was extremely accommodating - this was a great meal and a great date with my lovely wife. Highly recommendSpecial Features:
- Slow, unapologetic servicenotimpressedDined on 9/20/2014We waited over an hour for our entrees and when they came one of us had to wait 15 minutes longer for his 21 dollar steak that came out as a piece of meat sitting on a plate no garnish nothing. When we mentored the wait to the manager he said, "well what are you going to do? " no offer to make it right, nothing.Special Features:
- So-SoDianaDined on 9/20/2014Us 4 went there to celebrate both couples' anniversaries. Our server Judy? was alittle flakey and didn't explain the menu to us very well. When they brought the wrong chicken wings, instead of just leaving them, she took them and we WAITED for the right ones. All 4 of us have been in the hospitality business and that was just very low class. Not sure if comming back.
- BACON CHOP.ErinPDined on 9/20/2014Our server was a peach! (She was very knowledgeable about the menu and gave us great recommendations. The drinks were delightfully interesting (the pineapple habanero margarita and the 'girl named Billie' were both delicious) and we will definitely be back to try more items from the menu. I'm still drooling over the kale and that bacon chop. (It's 10am. I'm embarrassed.) It was a little chilly in the main dining room, but it was also storming outside and we were soaking wet, so that very well could have been the main issue. I can't wait to check out the roof on a nicer night. Well done, Tim!Special Features:
- Even better than what he had hoped.JannDined on 9/19/2014On the recommendation of a relative, we ventured out to Libertine on a Friday night. We are so glad we didi! The steak tartare was so delicious, as were the fried artichokes with yummy curry dip. When the avocado and romaine salads came, we were even more impressed with the freshness and clean flavors and ventured on to the rich, decadent bone marrow toast! We will be returning and trying dishes we had no room for after our onglet and lamb and brie lucy.........attentive and not pushy service...though it does get a bit loud at around 8 pm....but we didn't notice because everything was so tasty! We will be back!Special Features:
- Good food but unappealing serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 9/13/2014First the food….everything we had was great and the lamb & brie lucy burger is probably the best burger I have EVER had. Ever. The problems we had were with the service. Our 4 main dishes all came out at different times, which forces people to start eating before everyone has their food. They also were clearing our plates and handing us a dessert menu before 2 of us had even finished our dinner. It's not a good feeling when everyone seems to want you out of the restaurant as soon as possible. It was also extremely loud in the restaurant and I couldn't even hear what was coming out of my own mouth. Might have to wait to return until next summer when we can sit outside.Special Features:
- FoodieDined on 9/13/2014The food was great but we did not like the concept of the entrees being delivered at different times. Quite frankly, it is a lazy attitude to tell the patrons that the concept of the dining experience is that the food just comes to the table when it's ready and that the food is meant to be shared by the entire table. If that is truly the concept, then the entrees should be portioned as 'small bites'. We ordered burgers, sandwiches, and steaks individually and they arrived on the plate as 'whole' entrees. It is a bit hard to 'share' a burger with a group. Very poor planning on the kitchen staff who thought of that idea......I think it is just lazy to not have to time the food for each table. I would not return to this restaurant.Special Features:
- Long wait and sub part fooddn35Dined on 9/12/2014We waited for more than 45 min for our table. We asked the host how long it would take and she said "it shouldn't take too long", would've appreciate it if she told us that it would take a while because 45 min doesn't really fit "shouldn't take too long". We were then told we were next in line and then they took a group of about 6 before us, once again I would've appreciate it if the host just told us the truth. They gave us an appetizer on the house and the food came out at a decent time, but it wasn't anything spectacular.Special Features:
- Unbelievable FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/11/2014Recommend the charcuterie plate (chicken liver mousse is amazing), bacon chop, carmelized cauliflower, kaleSpecial Features:
- FANTASTICwhitewolfjxDined on 9/10/2014One of the best new restaurants in the area. The food was outstanding. I love the menu. The service was topnotch. The cocktail list is creative and invites you to try all sorts of drinks. I recommend going with a small group and sharing everything you get and for god's sake, try the prawns!Special Features:
- CasualDinerDined on 9/9/2014Great ambiance, modern & energetic restaurant. Tried a couple of their house specialty cocktails, they were fantastic.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Went there with 3 others and of course had to do the bone marrow toast to start. We ended up splitting the point steak, lamb ribs, korean spare ribs and the fried chicken and all were amazing. Many good cocktails as well.Special Features:
- Too good to stay awayFoodieDined on 9/6/2014The food must be good. I work at Libertine and come in on my days off with friends/family. So delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool Place!firsttimerDined on 9/6/2014We were very well taken care of! The food was amazing! Would recommend to everyone:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodnobVIPDined on 9/5/2014Vibrant & fun but food was was rich, salty and poorly balanced. Doubt I would return.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/3/2014We thought that they had terrible food but great drinksSpecial Features:
- AwesomeMeatVIPDined on 9/2/2014Great food. Lots of meat. Don't forget about the veges they are amazingSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/2/2014Kalen our server was the best. She made the dinner a great experience. Highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features: