Libby's Cafe & Bar
1917 South Osprey Ave.
Sarasota, FL 34239Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Libby's Cafe & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.libbyscafebar.com/
- Phone: (941) 487-7300
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm;
Dinner: Daily 3:00pm-Close;
Saturday & Sunday Brunch 10:30-3:00;
Happy Hour Daily 4-7pm;
Thursday Ladies' Night, 9pm-2am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Contemporary American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Kyle Harrington
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Choose from three different menus based on price, bar and event or customize your own private dinner or special celebration; private dining rooms available on-site
- Entertainment: Thursday Nights (9pm - 2am) -- DJ Scotty B and DJ Santana
- Special Events: Private dining rooms are available with varied menu options to customized events based on interest and budget
A word from Libby's Cafe & Bar
Lively and casually sophisticated Libby's Cafe + Bar has won over the hearts and palates of Sarasota diners and visitors since opening in October 2008. Its Modern American cuisine includes creative Asian and Italian influences with small and large plate options. Whether it’s enjoying a Happy Hour special, lunch, Sunday Brunch, dinner or a special occasion event in the private dining room, value, quality and service consistency is paramount for this family owned café that thrives on genuine hospitality.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Libby's Cafe & Bar - Best Restaurants in Sarasota ›
Libby's Cafe & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
106 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (74)fit for foodies (55)great for outdoor dining (55)special occasion (40)great for lunch (40)vibrant bar scene (39)good for groups (39)great for brunch (29)hot spot (24)romantic (19)notable wine list (16)kid-friendly (7)late-night find (6)scenic view (3)Show More
- The cedar wrapped salmon is spectacular!NannyVIPDined on 11/19/2014We had a wonderful dinner and great conversation. A very comfortable restaurant with something on the menu for everyone!! The wine list is excellent! The service is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing food and serviceBillikenVIPDined on 11/16/2014We ordered five different items, of which we would only reorder the deviled eggs. The Korean Sticky St. ribs were too sweet; the Hot Crab Meat Temptation was overspiced, the french fries arrived cold, and the four cheese tortellini was ordinary. Ordered a Rob Roy cocktail and received a Roy Rogers. Server never refilled water glasses. A disappointing meal.
- Best Subday Brubch in SarasotaPrestplanVIPDined on 11/16/2014I always make sure to stop here when I am in Sarasota on a Sunday morning. Their chicken and waffles are fantastic, and they have a very interesting brunch menu. If you find yourself in the area on a Sunday morning stop in for Brunch. They have great outdoor seating when the weather is cooperating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food When You Get ItOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/15/2014Although our waiter claimed to have worked at Libby's for over two years, he was annoyingly short on details and knowledge. Our first wine request was denied as they had updated the wine list but had given us an old, un-updated one. Our salads, we all had Caesar salads, arrived but we had to flag down a passing serving person to get fresh pepper, grated cheese and some additional dressing. Where was the waiter to check on the course? Then our entrees arrived. Again we had to flag a passing server to secure forks, removed with the salads and not replaced, and the bread we had requested earlier. The food was excellent. Everyone agreed that the kitchen is very superior. Now lets work on the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice!SarasotaspiritDined on 11/15/2014We had a reservation; it was honored as soon as we walked in. The great thing about Libby's is the menu: the chef is very creative with sometimes unusual items. Overall, very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great local restaurantpeopleperson123Dined on 11/9/2014In a town full of chain restaurants, it's refreshing to see a locally-owned and operated restaurant that produces such a great product. Dined with family. Everyone was more than thrilled with their salads and entrees. I had the Grouper, it was perfect. My father had the salmon and he said he'd never had salmon better prepared. Desserts were top notch. Someone even commented about how good the coffee was. Service was timely and polite. Place was clean, nice, but not stuffy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time for brunchDrSteveVIPDined on 11/9/2014Excellent brunch. Service was great. Had eaten there for dinner or weekday lunch many times , but first crack at breakfasty food.Special Features:
- Libby's - Decent pub foodTheSeriousFoodieDotNetVIPDined on 11/8/2014We've been to Libby's quite a few times, but mostly for brunch - and we've always had good meals. This time, we felt that the menu was surprisingly limited, with too many recycled items and concepts. The food and service was good on this last excursion, but not great. On a positive note, we went home with two containers of left-overs, including one half of the Libby's burger. I'm sure we'll go back, but just for brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- David911Dined on 11/8/2014First time at Libby's. Overall good experience. Small plates more than adequate. Convenient location. Sticky ribs to die for !Special Features:
- FloridafoodieDined on 11/8/2014Very reliable good food and attentive service. The kobe meatloaf and the pork tenderloin were the standout dishes on this visit.Special Features:
- Great atmosphereDebPDined on 11/7/2014This is a place we have been to a few times. The food is always delicious and the open air atmosphere and new bar vibe is excellent. However, this time service was poor, no silverware still on the table when the food arrived and our waiter did not take our order for almost 2 hours. Disappointing. Hope they can get it together before "season" beginsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun for lunchFoodieJuneVIPDined on 11/6/2014Libby's is great for lunch, especially since the noise level during the day is quieter than at night and the tables spaced apart, making it easy to talk. Live sitting at a table by the windows or, in nice weather, sitting outside. Wedge salad is our favorite but everything is good.Special Features:
- Very EnjoyableFoodieVIPDined on 11/5/2014Libby's offers a nice menu with many options. Food is well prepared. Bar scene is very crowded and noisy during happy hours, but does not affect the restaurant diners. Great outdoor seating when weather is nice (no smoking outdoors). Nice wine selections by the glass. Great location in Hillview/Osprey Ave area. Nice place for casual lunch or dinner.Special Features:
- We love Libby's early birdSueMcKVIPDined on 11/4/2014This review is after our 5th dining experience. Every time has been a pleasure. The prix fixe ($16)before 5:30 is great I've given 5 different entrees a try. Would like it if they could mix up the desserts though, possibly a nightly special. Our waiter this last trip was excellent his name has slipped my mind(bearded). Kudos! We will be back next time we're heading to a show or the movies! The happy hour is very good too and can be quite lively!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent lunchJimJDined on 11/4/2014Libby's is one of our favorite places in Sarasota for lunch because they have a great menu, delicious food and is generally a fun place to go. I was entertaining 3 guests from out of town and they enjoyed both the food and the relaxed, unhurried dining experience. The only slight negative was that, even though I made a reservation a week earlier, specifically asking for a table by the French doors, they didn't save one for me so we were relegated to a table further back in the restaurant. Also, Libby's used to serve a killer hot dog. . .it was awesome but, for whatever reason, the chef has never put it back on the menu.Special Features:
- Wonderful!nalaDined on 11/1/2014We had a wonderful dinning experience! The food was fabulous and our waiter was attentive and had a great sense of humor.Special Features:
- Still happy hereSabrinaVIPDined on 10/31/2014Always satisfied.l This is a standard go-to place when we want a reliable experience.Special Features:
- Great experience!MimiDined on 10/31/2014We had a great time at Libby's. This was our second visit and not our last. It is an hour drive for us but the food is great, the area is vibrant, and it is definitely worth the trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Nice Establishment!sclaytonDined on 10/25/2014Our waiter, Joe, was super attentive. We had a special family meal and we were seated at a nice round table so we could all talk to each other. The food selections are tasty, fresh, and beautifully presented. Vegan options are available. We'll be going back soon.Special Features:
- Nothing exceptionalmyfavoriteVIPDined on 10/25/2014We decided to give Libby's another try after its "makeover". The menu is very limited and many offerings are fried or laden with sauces and spices. Entrees tend to be on the eclectic side due to preparations of the offerings. The decor and service are generally just "OK". I requested some pepper to grind onto a salad for example and nearly had to ask 4 times to get it; same with the dinner rolls or biscuits. Would not make a special trip or seek this place out.
- GigiDined on 10/24/2014The staff are all wonderful and very well trained for their respective tasks. In particular, each and every one treated my 86 year old mother like she was a visiting dignitary !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at Libby's Cafe and Barlcmb1Dined on 10/24/2014My husband and I had a pre-theater dinner at Libby's Cafe and Bar on a Friday night. We had made reservations for, and arrived at, 5:30 and finished just abour 7. Since the indoor space was chilly and a little noisy, we chose to eat outside. Service was attentive and very professional, and the food was excellent. (I had the mahi-mahi and asparagus, unseasoned, and the small house salad, and my husband had the pork chateaubriand and the wedge salad. We shared the Dutch baby for dessert.) The glass of malbec I had was excellent, too. All in all, a very pleasant experience, and we would go back.Special Features:
- . Best early bird in town!CblevVIPDined on 10/23/2014Love this restaurant! Elegant, delicious, gourmet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Club AtmosphereDiscerningDinerDined on 10/21/2014Stepping into the dark wood paneled bar at Libby's for drinks with business associates before dinner was like walking into an upscale club. It was very inviting and the atmosphere was chic. Our table for dinner was indoors with white table cloth and excellent service and located next to the open-air side of the restaurant so we felt like we were outdoors in a sidewalk cafe. Very pleasant. Excellent wine list and the food is very dependable, a creative up-scale menu. Libby's is an excellent place to entertain and impress clients and friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Prix Fixe an undeniable gem!SRQFanDined on 10/18/2014Libby's Prix Fixe dinner offers a great selection, three courses and wine or beer for $16. It's available everyday until 5:30. You can't beat it and the portions are large!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extraordinary ValueSarasotanDined on 10/16/2014My wife and I are full-time Sarasota residents. We go to Libby's frequently for their prix fixe dinner. It is an exceptional value. For $16, you get soup or salad, an entree, dessert and a glass of wine. Service is excellent, as is the food. Everyone treats you as a valued customer. We have never bad meal or bad service at Libby's. It is one of our favorite restaurants in Sarasota.Special Features:
- Lunch ReviewjackiezfoodlineDined on 10/15/2014Chipotle could dish out a better ingredients for Los Pollos Hermanos. Who ever heard of pepper on french fries with or without greasy fries served cold.
- A great experience!LKSarasotaDined on 10/11/2014The food was outstanding as usual (even the tartar sauce :) and the service was exceptional during this visit--thanks to Joseph M! We love coming to this restaurant--truly a local gem!Special Features:
- Libbys is a solid choiceOspreyguyDined on 10/8/2014Four of us on a Wednesday night had a great time. The menu has a great variety - fish to meatloaf! Didn't have the meatloaf but the chicken with pesto and roasted peppers was great. A solid choice in a nice atmosphereSpecial Features:
- Always ExcellentCLIFFSIDEVIPDined on 10/6/2014What can I say about Libby's Excellent We have been there often for lunch also dinner.First excellent service all the time Best salmon anywhere hands done The one comment you hear from so many diners why no decaf cappuccino for a first class ResturantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SHOULD BE FIBBY'SManjaDined on 10/4/2014Food under par for the price. VERY noisy. Difficult menu to choose from. Two dishes that were "main" line items. Hamburgers and 2 pasta dishes. One pasta and meatballs, and pasta with fish. I had pasta it was cold and no taste. One of us had salmon and it was almost impossible to eat it. The thai dish was loaded with salt. Check for 4 was !$196 we left a $40 tip and not even a thank you. There are much better places to go and when the mall opens up I am sure there customers if they have any regulars will drift away.Special Features:
- It was okOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/4/2014Nice atmosphere and menu. Our service was not the greatest. Once waitress took order, we did not see much of her. Didnt refill wine glasses, didn't check back when we got our food to make sure everything was ok. It would say it was a fine experience, but not the best.
- Wow from the start!FoodmagicDined on 10/3/2014Excellent first time experience, and decided to go from other 5 star reviews. Food, service and selection was flawless. Exceptional wedge salad and the Nueske's Bacon chunks a big hit. Burger was perfectly cooked and along with salad was "share-able" size for lunch with my husband. We are from out of the area and will return again for dinner.Special Features:
- Barbecue option - just okepicureanfanDined on 9/30/2014We have always enjoyed Libby's, and decided to try their new barbecue option available on Tuesday nights. To our surprise, it was basically one choice with a few various presentations of barbecue brisket, either as an entree, or a sandwich, etc. Brisket was tender and tasty but needed a barbecue sauce. Service was excellent, and the happy hour drink was well made. All in all, an okay dinner, but we will save barbecue for other restaurants who specialize in it.Special Features:
- Excellent expeienceRelaxingTimeOutDined on 9/28/2014The waiter was vey considerate, explained everything, and did not rush us. The food was delicious. We will return!Special Features:
- Always First RateCLIFFSIDEVIPDined on 9/23/2014We have dined here several times since moving to the area. Libby's is a first class restaurant with all the elements in place . We had lunch today great burgers a wide range of selections to choose from. Service is always first rate The owner must revisit the lack of cappuccino or espresso served as it is in all first class establishments around the world.Special Features:
- blcooksonDined on 9/22/2014I always love going here - they do a great job, have a lovely staff and never get a bad meal.Special Features:
- Better for lunchGNOLDined on 9/19/2014Libby's is one of my most favorite lunch spots. The menu seems more creative and the noise level is quieter than at dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What has happened to libbysFoodie54VIPDined on 9/12/2014Wedge salad is now a quarter of a head of lettuce where it used to be half a head at the same price but is still a great salad. My wife had the Brussels sprout and goat cheese salad which was drowning in dressing- not good at all. Now the bad news after the salads we waited for an hour and a half for our entrees. The table next to us turned to us and said they had been there over two hours and were also disgusted and upset. I politely complained to our waiter who said the manager was coming out. The manager came out and apologized saying there were problems in the kitchen offered a glass of wine and quickly ran away before I even had a chance to say anything. Snapper was lackluster and libbys burger which used to be great was tasteless.
- Slow service & food mediocre.LindyDined on 9/12/2014Disappointing. Service was slow, food less than ideal. Very interesting menu with choices for vegetarians/vegans but execution disappointed. Accoustics also very poor with high noise level. Would not return or recommend.Special Features: