4435 Willard Avenue
Chevy Chase, MD 20815Neighborhood:
Bethesda / Chevy Chase
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.chefgeoff.com/
- Phone: 2402235427x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Nightly: 4:00pm - 10:00pm; Sunday Brunch 11:30am - 3:00pm;
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Comfort Food, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Cesare Lanfranconi
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: LIA'S provides office catering for all businesses within a three block radius. Contact our event coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Private Party Facilities: Take your guests to Italy! A party at LIA'S is a trip to Italy: delicious, warm, and fun. Whether a small seated event or a large cocktail reception, we can accommodate groups of all sizes. Our private wine room seats 49 and the entire restaurant can be reserved for as many as 250. Our patio offers unique outdoor space for entertaining groups in the spring, summer, and fall. For menus and more information, please contact our Private Event Director, Amy Foster, at email@example.com.
- Private Party Contact: Amy Foster 2027067326x
- Special Events: LIA'S host numerous wine dinners and cooking classes throughout the year. Sign up for our newsletter at www.LiasRestaurant.com under the events section to be notified of our next special event.
- Cross Street: Wisconsin Avenue
- Public Transit: Friendship Heights metro (red line) located 1 block away on cross streets Western Avenue and Wisconsin Avenue. Walk one block north on Wisconsin Avenue to Willard and we are at 4435 Willard Avenue in the Ritz-Carlton building. Look for our outdoor patio and red awnings.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet parking ($8) available after 5pm. Reduced rate self park with validation available for both lunch and dinner. Use Chase Tower Parking Garage. Entrance is just around the corner from LIA'S on The Hills Plaza Road. Look for the red LIA'S Parking sign. The lot is below the restaurant. Take elevator to main lobby and exit the main doors. LIA'S is just to the left.
A word from LIA'S
Enjoy Chef Geoff's genuine hospitality and casual cuisine with an Italian flair. Lia’s is a neighborhood restaurant in the heart of Chevy Chase. Come for a glass of wine, hand tossed pizzas, fresh pasta, or charcuterie and cheese, and the result will be the same. You'll be back for more. Join us on Sundays for brunch and every Monday for half price wines. Enjoy our ever-popular happy hour daily from 3pm to 7pm and all night on Monday and Tuesday. An eighty seat patio provides some of the best outdoor dining in the area. We truly have something for everyone and look forward to welcoming you. Cheers! Chef GeoffContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
LIA'S reviews from OpenTable diners
237 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (122)neighborhood gem (120)great for lunch (72)fit for foodies (69)good for groups (58)special occasion (55)great for brunch (47)vibrant bar scene (42)kid-friendly (35)notable wine list (31)romantic (22)hot spot (19)late-night find (6)scenic view (4)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/25/2014All aspects on the dining experience was above average and consistent with my usual except the service which was less attentive and prompt than usual. Perhaps the energy was consumed by the neighboring table who had a significant number of complaints, but those issues should not have detracted from our experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy and just averagevhinpghVIPDined on 8/23/2014It was very loud and the waiter seemed inexperienced. Some of the meals were very good (the calamari app and Burrata with Focaccia app were very good, as was the Cacio e Pepe main dish). The Frutti di Mare was good, but the shrimp had a strong fishy taste. The Branzino Balsamico was not good. It was drenched in an overpowering heavy, creamy balsamic dressing sauce that ruined the fish -- and it arrived cold so we asked to have it warmed up. Then we were charged for it twice, which was corrected without apology. Desserts were good, not excellent. When a dish arrived at the table, the runner handed it to the wrong person EACH time(became kind of amusing. If you don't know, why not ask who ordered that dish? But should know). Not coming back.
- Great find!GastronautDCVIPDined on 8/22/2014I wish LIA's was in my "hood." Perfect for lunch with a diverse menu which works well. The fried oysters were delicious as was my tomato panzanella salad. Desserts are made in house and were not a second thought. Well-worth the calories! There was a minor glitch with my order and it was handled quickly, with no fuss.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food and ServiceDeeBeeDined on 8/20/2014The Brie appetizer was especially good but so filling that I couldn't eat much of my entree. The portions are very large. I would split the brie which is enough for two another time.Special Features:
- not a good dayOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/20/2014I've been to Lia's a couple of times so thought it would be a nice venue to take a colleague for a goodbye lunch. We had about 1 1/2 hour window but ended up taking a full 2 hours because the service was really bad that day. We waited almost 25 minutes to get bread and water and another 30 minutes before the appetizer. I ordered a lamb burger (medium-well) but arrived was medium-rare. I would have returned it but since the clock was ticking, I just ate it. The only reason I would return to Lia's is because I have been here before and it was decent. Also, our waitress was a little borderline rude--didn't quite know what to make of it. All-in-all, if I was handing out grades, I would give them a "D" this go round.Special Features:
- ConsistencyBexleyVIPDined on 8/19/2014Another nice experience at Lia's. Birthday dinner for a friend. The staff took note and mentioned it to my dining companion. Very thoughtful. Carlito (sp?) was very attentive (but not overly so) waiter. Food very nice. The grilled salmon was delicious.Special Features:
- Second time in two weeksRikasmomVIPDined on 8/18/2014After rediscovering Lia's we returned to enjoy their half price wine Monday. Service not quite as fun as last time. Food was excellent. Second time ordering pizza and it was really good. Arugula salad with watermelon was super. Have never thought to put them together. The sweet and tangy was excellent. We ordered the only Amarone on the menu and it was outstanding. A bargain at half price. We will go back.Special Features:
- Great service!NoPoMoCoDined on 8/17/2014Our group of 5 went on a quiet Sunday evening on the last night of Restaurant week. Everything was delicious and the menu catered to a variety of tastes. The white pizza and the blueberry mojitos were standouts! Salads were large and fresh. Our service was terrific - server was extremely patient in explaining restaurant week menu to our group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Medium Welljrd1Dined on 8/16/2014We came for dinner on a night when the weather was really nice for sitting outside. My wife and I are currently eating a "Paleo" diet (aka Whole30) and the server was happy to answer all of our questions about how things were prepared. (no butter, no sugar, things like that). I had the Hanger Steak from the Simple & Healthy menu and a side of spinach. My steak was undercooked and was more Rare than Medium and the outside was a little too crisp. I did not send it back or even tell the server. My wife had the salmon and said it was very good. -The patio is way too dark once the sun goes down. I recommend Lia's for Happy Hour and for anyone who's NOT on a limited diet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Couldn't have been better!OutofStateFoodieDined on 8/16/2014We had an outstanding meal, with impeccable service. Everyone cleaned their plates and enjoyed the breeze from the large, open windows.Special Features:
- Two Superb Nights In A RowKateDined on 8/15/2014Can't remember ever being willing,except when staying in a hotel on business,to go back to same restaurant two nights in a row.We did that at Lia's -so delicious. Opening course (night 1)was a mixed green salad w/perfect little surprises--surprises we would never have thought to combine but together were simply marvelous-mint, dill, much, much more-lightly dressed in vinaigrette the envy of Paris.Then on to an enormous heap of mussels in this delicate,incredibly flavorful tomato sauce.(Sauce so good took what remained home to try to determine every ingredient and replicate.) A tiramisu-intense chocolate shell dusted w/a fine quality dark cocoa finally did us in. Night two-again simply superb-OMG mushroom ravioli... (review character limit.)Special Features:
- ColdBexleyVIPDined on 8/14/2014The room the hostess took us to was very cold but got a bit better after we asked about it. The waitress charged us the full price for the items we ordered even though we had ordered the Restaurant Week menu. So watch this. Of course she corrected it after we brought it to her attention. Otherwise ok experience. Lia's is always pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First visit went well.BuckerVIPDined on 8/14/2014Initially took a while to get waited on but they seemed to be busier than usual. Other than that, service was fine. Food was excellent and portions were more than generous. Dessert was really outstanding. Definitely worth another visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SAR1Dined on 8/13/2014Service is so good at Lia's. Staff pay attention to small things, and I never feel rushed there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable but outrageous wine markupGuidoVIPDined on 8/11/2014Lia's remain very reliable in general: friendly service, a good menu, and mostly very good food, sometimes excellent (radicchio and pear salad) but sometimes quite sub-par (shriveled muscles in a decent marinaria sauce that couldn't save the pathetically dry ghosts). But, and it's a very big but, Chef Geoff should be ashamed, in a modest restaurant, to mark up the wines four fold plus. Clients should boycott the wine list and drink beer or water until Geoff stops his gauging practice.
- Great date night!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/11/2014It was the first night of Restaurant Week, so the place was packed! Nevertheless, the service was great and the food was delicious! They let you order from the entire menu, which was nice, because some restaurants only let you order a few items from their menu during Restaurant Week.Special Features:
- DisappointeddoonalucVIPDined on 8/11/2014We have been before and were looking forward to coming back. This trip was pretty mediocre. Dessert was average at best; risotto did not use arborio; appetizers ok. Waiter tried a little too hard to be affable
- An Outstanding Memorable MealJdinerDined on 8/11/2014My friend and I dined outside during Restaurant Week and were thrilled to see the long list of tempting three-course lunch choices. The warm brie was memorable - both presentation and taste. The food was seasoned to perfection and offered a variety of taste treats. The warm bread which accompanied our food was baked with black olives in it - yum! The wait staff was attentive and very helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow Sevice.roseyDined on 8/10/2014The service was very very slow, but the food was wonderful, once it arrived. We were surprised by the bad service, since we had been to Chef Geoff's other restaurants and have never had a problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- can use some workNotafanChefGeoffDined on 8/10/2014I came for a birthday lunch for my friend. We were in a room by ourselves which was fine as the other room was extremely noisy. My friend's glass of champagne was spilled all over her and her purse by the waiter. Even though it was an accident I would have expected a complimentary glass of wine. My eggs were very runny and I could not eat them, Eggs Henry not very good, ham was hard. What can I say not worth the trip.Special Features:
- Great Italian food!LizzieDined on 8/8/2014You will not be disappointed. This place has really great Italian food. Ate at LIAs about four years ago remembering it was really good but could not remember the name. Finally found it and LIAs did not disappoint! generous portions and great food! Our server was very attentive. A must if you are in Bethesda.Special Features:
- Usually one of the best, but...RandCDined on 8/8/2014Lia's is one of our favorites, where we want to go when want to know we will get excellent food, professional service and great ambiance. However, last weekend Lia's let us down on two counts. After we had been seated outside it became obvious that we had no server assigned to our table. After waiting for about 20 minutes we flagged someone down. They were apologetic and went off to find our server, then after an obvious argument with another server finally this person came back and took care of us in good form. The calamari appetizer, while creatively prepared and presented, was bland to my palate at least. Lia's is typically great, however the menu can be lacking at times and they seem to lack strong overall operational management.Special Features:
- Glad we went backRikasmomVIPDined on 8/5/2014Have not been to Lia's in a number of years. Not sure why. We really enjoyed our recent dinner there. Started with our wonderful waitress and service. Food was excellent especially Truffle Tremor described as "velvety soft ripened goat’s milk with truffle". Pizza was great. Looking forward to going back on a Monday night to enjoy the half price wine offer.Special Features:
- birthday dinnerbirthdaydinnerDined on 8/2/2014I took a friend to Lia's for her birthday. They called in the morning and asked the birthday girl's name. When we arrived there was a happy birthday message on the chalk board. For desert, I selected cannoli and it arrived with a lit candle. nice touch. She was also given a little box with 2 chocolates. I think they went out of their way to make her birthday festive.Special Features:
- Lia's In Good FormAlphonseDined on 8/2/2014Our dinner on Saturday evening was very good-to-excellent. The quality of the food drew few complaints, other than bland/steamed rapini and panzanella that was served without bread in it. The wine choice - Gave/Cortese white was excellent and a good restaurant value. The House poor chianti was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey but delightfulDCDinerDined on 7/30/2014Our waiter was knowledgeable, attentive, and pleasant. We dined outdoors on a very nice day and enjoyed the "privacy" afforded by the location set back from the street, and the nearby waterfall fixture. Meals, dessert, and house-made sodas were delicious - our only issue is the price! This seems more like a "special occasion" or "impress a client" locale, not a regular lunch spot. I don't think they offer any lunch specials. But great for a once-in-a-while treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GeorgeDined on 7/29/2014Best service we've EVER had. Food was prepared very well & tastySpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/26/2014Great neighborhood restaurant. Love walking there and eating outside.Special Features:
- Incredible FoodScottelDined on 7/24/2014After asking the waitress for best entree options, I took her suggestion and had the pasta and meatballs - the pasta was freshly made - perfect density, texture and taste! And the meatballs were by far the best I have ever had. I highly recommend you have this food experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunchAnnFDined on 7/20/2014Superb shrimp and grits. A bit quiet on a Sunday afternoon, but that was pleasant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Neighborhood favorite...MgPjVIPDined on 7/18/2014As always Lia's was consistent, great service, and delicious food when I brought two friends. I can always depend on this wonderful restaurant to provide a consistent dependable service . I always feel comfortable bringing friends...than's Lia's and your staff!Special Features:
- Always so accomodatingSusanVIPDined on 7/16/2014I called Lia's ahead of my reservation to ask that I be seated in a quiet location, as I was dining with an elderly friend whose hearing reflected his age. The staff was extremely accomodating, saving what is certainly the quietest table in the restaurant. That enabled us to have a wonderful evening, able to converse easily and enjoy the great food and service I always expect at Lia's. Bravo again!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Should be betterJillnancyVIPDined on 7/14/20146of us went for a friends birthday. Although the place was almost empty the service was bad. The waitress couldn't remember who ordered what and there seemed to be 5 different servers at one point. Why so much confusion at a restaurant that has had years to get it right? I only checked scenic view because the review couldn't be submitted without something being checked.Special Features:
- A gemOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/12/2014We enjoyed a very fine meal for our first venture to Lia's and would wholeheartedly recommend it. Great location with parking available and near metro. Service was excellent and the pasta dishes we ordered were done to perfection.Special Features:
- Nice DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/11/2014Had been traveling for work and wanted to go out for a decent dinner with my wife away from the kids. We walked over and had a very nice meal together. Service was so-so however. Waitress forgot to bring my beer and was a bit ingratiating. We'll go back. That is an atypical experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/7/2014This was our first visit to Lias for dinner. We had sampled the bar menu before and decided to try it for my birthday dinner. It did NOT disappoint. We had a fantastic meal and great service from Carlito. We were there on 1/2 price bottles of wine night which was was perfect. Overall I would return in a heartbeat!Special Features:
- Once is not enough!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/6/2014I visited this restaurant last year for a quick lunch at the bar. First impressions are forever...I invited my husband for a date night and we have returned multiple times with and without friends. Lia's is "top shelf"....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lia'sBanashreeVIPDined on 7/4/2014This was our first visit to Lia's although we had been at Chef Geoff's Rockville location many times. The decor at Lia's is frugal. We ordered lamb burger and Bronzino. For appetizer we ordered picked mushroom and marinated artichokes. To top off our dining experience we shared icecream trio -- pistachio, smokes cherry and white chocolate. All in all, we were happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemKateDined on 7/4/2014OT, The pasta with artichokes was superb. While eating it, my guest was trying to decide when we could come back so she could have it again and I could try it! The cobb salad was okay but served more like a regular green tossed salad, not chopped in small pieces so you could get all the ingredients' taste at once. The grill chicken I added was tasty and ample.The cocktails were excellent, particularly the gin and tonic which came with the perfect mix of the requested Tanqueray Gin and tonic. We ate outside and the service was excellent and our server highly personable and prompt without being intrusive. Kathleen KesterSpecial Features:
- Great Dining!OboeCatsDined on 7/2/2014I treated two girlfriends from New York I've known for 50 years to dinner at Lia's when they came for a visit to DC last week. Dinner was spectacular! The waiter was attentive and informative. Everyone went over and above to be sure we had a great time. Did I say the food was phenomenal? It was! We had Caesar salad and veggie lasagna and dessert. I would not hesitate to recommend Lia's. One note...I had heard that the dining room was noisy but the night we were there, there really was no noise. We had a wonderful conversation over a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.