4435 Willard Avenue
Chevy Chase, MD 20815Neighborhood:
Bethesda / Chevy Chase
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.chefgeoff.com/
- Phone: 2402235427x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Nightly: 4:00pm - 10:00pm; Sunday Brunch 11:30am - 3:00pm;
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Comfort Food, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Cesare Lanfranconi
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: LIA'S provides office catering for all businesses within a three block radius. Contact our event coordinator at email@example.com
- Private Party Facilities: Take your guests to Italy! A party at LIA'S is a trip to Italy: delicious, warm, and fun. Whether a small seated event or a large cocktail reception, we can accommodate groups of all sizes. Our private wine room seats 49 and the entire restaurant can be reserved for as many as 250. Our patio offers unique outdoor space for entertaining groups in the spring, summer, and fall. For menus and more information, please contact our Private Event Director, Amy Foster, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Private Party Contact: Amy Foster 2027067326x
- Special Events: LIA'S host numerous wine dinners and cooking classes throughout the year. Sign up for our newsletter at www.LiasRestaurant.com under the events section to be notified of our next special event.
- Cross Street: Wisconsin Avenue
- Public Transit: Friendship Heights metro (red line) located 1 block away on cross streets Western Avenue and Wisconsin Avenue. Walk one block north on Wisconsin Avenue to Willard and we are at 4435 Willard Avenue in the Ritz-Carlton building. Look for our outdoor patio and red awnings.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet parking ($8) available after 5pm. Reduced rate self park with validation available for both lunch and dinner. Use Chase Tower Parking Garage. Entrance is just around the corner from LIA'S on The Hills Plaza Road. Look for the red LIA'S Parking sign. The lot is below the restaurant. Take elevator to main lobby and exit the main doors. LIA'S is just to the left.
A word from LIA'S
Enjoy Chef Geoff's genuine hospitality and casual cuisine with an Italian flair. Lia’s is a neighborhood restaurant in the heart of Chevy Chase. Come for a glass of wine, hand tossed pizzas, fresh pasta, or charcuterie and cheese, and the result will be the same. You'll be back for more. Join us on Sundays for brunch and every Monday for half price wines. Enjoy our ever-popular happy hour daily from 3pm to 7pm and all night on Monday and Tuesday. An eighty seat patio provides some of the best outdoor dining in the area. We truly have something for everyone and look forward to welcoming you. Cheers! Chef GeoffContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
LIA'S reviews from OpenTable diners
196 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (111)great for outdoor dining (104)fit for foodies (63)great for lunch (62)good for groups (45)special occasion (37)great for brunch (33)vibrant bar scene (31)kid-friendly (28)notable wine list (22)hot spot (19)romantic (14)late-night find (5)scenic view (3)Show More
- GOOUTTOLUNCHVIPDined on 10/18/2014We've been to Lia's a number of times and are always pleased and will definitely return. However, the noise level this time was unbearable. It was almost impossible to have a conversation. They need to look into more sound deadening.
- Nice ambiance, service lackingEmptynesterVIPDined on 10/8/2014This restaurant could be hugely improved by better service. Our waiter seemingly disappeared in the middle of the meal. We had to flag another person down to order wine with dinner. They never asked about dessert or coffee. We asked for more bread and it never arrived. One person had asked for a substitution and that wasn't delivered (although they happily brought it when we reminded them). The food is decent and the restaurant is very pleasant. If they kicked it up a notch or three I'd be a regular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lia'sNoelVIPDined on 10/4/2014Had another terrific meal at Lia's. Wide-ranging menu, great cooking, great service, in a nice atmosphere. We love it!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good creative fish dishesInfrequentdinerouterDined on 10/4/2014We went Saturday for a very early post-KenCen (matinee) dinner at 4 pm. Hence, it was nice and quiet. The river trout was very fresh, and was served with procciuto and fresh sage layered on the top - interesting and yummy, although a tad too rich for my taste - and the sauteed spinich was done just the right amount. We also had a starter of wonderful salami with fresh figs. We could have taken advantage of the prix fixe offerings during that time period, but opted for different items from the menu. The waitress was very pleasant but inattentive; she seemed more interested in chatting with another waitress in the corner than looking after us. This was my first dining experience at Lia's.Special Features:
- never disappointsPatriciaDined on 10/4/2014No matter how many times I go to Lia's, I always have a great meal. The only complaint is the noise level, and that is true most anywhere.Special Features:
- ConsistentGaleSVIPDined on 9/29/2014The one word I would use for Lia's is consistent... Good food...good service... Good location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a Double DateOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/29/2014The dinning experience here was great. On Monday's wine bottles are 50% off. I enjoyed the steak and the oregano fries; the oregano fries were the size of french toast sticks.haha My only issue was that the steak wasn't cooked as evenly as I would have liked. I ordered medium and I ended up eating medium-well to medium-rare in one steak. Besides that, I really enjoyed the dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very loudeatwellVIPDined on 9/29/2014The food at Lia's is good, but the ambiance is not for diners who want to have a conversation. The main dining room is very noisy. One must shout to be heard across a table for two. Frankly, the eating experience is not worth the strain of trying to hear and be heard.Special Features:
- always goodCalvinnPiperVIPDined on 9/29/2014Lia's is a terrific neighborhood spot and a place worth traveling to get to -- the food is creative and enticing -- service is always very good --Special Features:
- mamacvbDined on 9/27/2014Our dinner was delicious but the service was exceedingly slow. We will think twice about going again, particularly if we are pressed for time.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/27/2014I don't know what's happening to the atmosphere at Lia's, but things have changed and not necessarily for the good. All of the best staff has either been let go, quit or moved to other locations. It's too bad, cause this was a great place to go with excellent friendly, staff and servers! I've been going since the opening and I've seen changes, but lately, it's just doesn't feel right.Special Features:
- Consistently good experienceDerekVIPDined on 9/26/2014It's hard to find fault with Lia's or any of the other Chef Geoff restaurants. Good value, tasty food and very good service. If there is one area that consistently needs some attention, it would be in the time lag between the main course and dessert, which far exceeds the time before the main course. This seems to be consistent at Lia's and several Chef Geoff locations.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014Our server seemed ready to go home; he made it clear that waiting tables was the last thing he wanted to do. As for the food, the calamari was excellent, but the pizza was a soggy floppy mess.
- too noisydiner6VIPDined on 9/22/2014The restaurant needs better soundproofing. There were three large parties at lunch, and it made hearing one another at a table for four very difficult. Last time for me.
- Consistently GoodBexleyVIPDined on 9/20/2014Dining at Lia's is a very pleasant experience. The service and food are always good.Special Features:
- Always a Good MealFamilyfeastDined on 9/20/2014Lia's consistently serves up quality, tasty entrees. I find that I'm satisified without being over-full and that the options please everyone at the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lamArtieDined on 9/20/2014great dinner. food great all had different meals and each loved them. will come back soon!Special Features:
- Good food, rushed serviceFLCarolVIPDined on 9/18/2014We enjoyed the food on our second visit, but felt that we were rushed with the service.Special Features:
- Business FriendlyJustMeDined on 9/16/2014I had a business lunch and we ate inside so we could discuss items but it was a bit noisy. Other than that, the food selection was great, the meal was fresh and flavorful and the service superb. Lia's never fails me. Bring back the grilled veggie pizza!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/12/2014We got there early enough to try their three-course special. It was really good as well as a good deal.Special Features:
- Pleasant for LunchPixiekentDined on 9/8/2014Lunch was promptly served and the taste was excellent. It was the perfect pace for catch up with a friend and a beautifully staged luncheon. Very enjoyable.Special Features:
- Anniversary celebration!MariaTDined on 9/6/2014We had a wonderful time at Lia's! We were celebrating our anniversary that evening and when we checked in, we were wished a Happy Anniversary. Our names were also on a blackboard with other couples celebrating the same thing. Very nice touch that made our evening even more special. Our server gave us a glass of Proseco for us to enjoy, "on her." We also had a terrific Malbec. We had the Risotto Balls for an appetizer; they were warm, crunchy, cheesey and very flavorful. We also had warm bread with olive oil. I had the Ricotta Gnocchi which were good but I couldn't taste the Ricotta; also, it was a large serving. The were delicious regardless! For dessert we had the flourless chocolate cake; sublime! rich and oh so chocolaty!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was uneven. Partial excellenceAnonDined on 9/4/2014The branzini was cookes perfectly but over a weird sauce of creamed potatoes (too fatty and not texture) and a balsamic reduction that was so sweet it made me gag. I get that the chef wanted to mix textures, but this so didn't work, also a fazillion unexpected calories. Waiter explanation of the specials was so vague i has no idea what it would be. Seafood pasta was oddly tasteless thoufh the seafood was fresh. Kid's ceasar salad was a egg-sized salad that came with a giant order of french fries. Horrified when it was put in front of her. However, the radicchio and gorgonzola salad was perfect. The concierge and servers were also extremely nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely a go toOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/4/2014When we arrived , our reservation was not in the system, but the host took care of us immediately service was good, food just what I wanted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/4/2014I always enjoy the food, service and atmosphere at Lia's. The food is always delicious and the staff is attentive and well trained. For the price point, it is a wonderful restaurant.Special Features:
- Labor Day Monday NightMoNYCVIPDined on 9/1/2014Had a lovely meal, enjoyed the Half Price Monday Wine MAdness and was greatly complimented by our waiter Carlito. He was courtesy, friendly and attentive. 3 Cheers Night! Thanks muchSpecial Features:
- Family meetingKristinDined on 8/29/2014Three sets of family converged at Lia's last Friday, and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, each other, and the food! A couple of us are audio challenged, but we were able to hear each other, and didn't seem to disrupt neighboring diners. The service by Nicole was amiable and attentive. The menu was varied and exciting, but each of us zeroed in quickly on a selection, and enjoyed each. I think the hands-down favorite dish was the doughnut! My husband and I arrived early, thinking to grab a seat at the bar or an outside high top table…but on a Friday night around 6…not so easy. TGIF was being celebrated full-tilt. Because of this festivity, the noise level must have been challenging for some patio diners.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/25/2014All aspects on the dining experience was above average and consistent with my usual except the service which was less attentive and prompt than usual. Perhaps the energy was consumed by the neighboring table who had a significant number of complaints, but those issues should not have detracted from our experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy and just averagevhinpghVIPDined on 8/23/2014It was very loud and the waiter seemed inexperienced. Some of the meals were very good (the calamari app and Burrata with Focaccia app were very good, as was the Cacio e Pepe main dish). The Frutti di Mare was good, but the shrimp had a strong fishy taste. The Branzino Balsamico was not good. It was drenched in an overpowering heavy, creamy balsamic dressing sauce that ruined the fish -- and it arrived cold so we asked to have it warmed up. Then we were charged for it twice, which was corrected without apology. Desserts were good, not excellent. When a dish arrived at the table, the runner handed it to the wrong person EACH time(became kind of amusing. If you don't know, why not ask who ordered that dish? But should know). Not coming back.
- Great find!GastronautDCVIPDined on 8/22/2014I wish LIA's was in my "hood." Perfect for lunch with a diverse menu which works well. The fried oysters were delicious as was my tomato panzanella salad. Desserts are made in house and were not a second thought. Well-worth the calories! There was a minor glitch with my order and it was handled quickly, with no fuss.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food and ServiceDeeBeeDined on 8/20/2014The Brie appetizer was especially good but so filling that I couldn't eat much of my entree. The portions are very large. I would split the brie which is enough for two another time.Special Features:
- not a good dayOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/20/2014I've been to Lia's a couple of times so thought it would be a nice venue to take a colleague for a goodbye lunch. We had about 1 1/2 hour window but ended up taking a full 2 hours because the service was really bad that day. We waited almost 25 minutes to get bread and water and another 30 minutes before the appetizer. I ordered a lamb burger (medium-well) but arrived was medium-rare. I would have returned it but since the clock was ticking, I just ate it. The only reason I would return to Lia's is because I have been here before and it was decent. Also, our waitress was a little borderline rude--didn't quite know what to make of it. All-in-all, if I was handing out grades, I would give them a "D" this go round.Special Features:
- ConsistencyBexleyVIPDined on 8/19/2014Another nice experience at Lia's. Birthday dinner for a friend. The staff took note and mentioned it to my dining companion. Very thoughtful. Carlito (sp?) was very attentive (but not overly so) waiter. Food very nice. The grilled salmon was delicious.Special Features:
- Second time in two weeksRikasmomVIPDined on 8/18/2014After rediscovering Lia's we returned to enjoy their half price wine Monday. Service not quite as fun as last time. Food was excellent. Second time ordering pizza and it was really good. Arugula salad with watermelon was super. Have never thought to put them together. The sweet and tangy was excellent. We ordered the only Amarone on the menu and it was outstanding. A bargain at half price. We will go back.Special Features:
- Great service!NoPoMoCoDined on 8/17/2014Our group of 5 went on a quiet Sunday evening on the last night of Restaurant week. Everything was delicious and the menu catered to a variety of tastes. The white pizza and the blueberry mojitos were standouts! Salads were large and fresh. Our service was terrific - server was extremely patient in explaining restaurant week menu to our group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Medium Welljrd1Dined on 8/16/2014We came for dinner on a night when the weather was really nice for sitting outside. My wife and I are currently eating a "Paleo" diet (aka Whole30) and the server was happy to answer all of our questions about how things were prepared. (no butter, no sugar, things like that). I had the Hanger Steak from the Simple & Healthy menu and a side of spinach. My steak was undercooked and was more Rare than Medium and the outside was a little too crisp. I did not send it back or even tell the server. My wife had the salmon and said it was very good. -The patio is way too dark once the sun goes down. I recommend Lia's for Happy Hour and for anyone who's NOT on a limited diet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Couldn't have been better!OutofStateFoodieDined on 8/16/2014We had an outstanding meal, with impeccable service. Everyone cleaned their plates and enjoyed the breeze from the large, open windows.Special Features:
- Two Superb Nights In A RowKateDined on 8/15/2014Can't remember ever being willing,except when staying in a hotel on business,to go back to same restaurant two nights in a row.We did that at Lia's -so delicious. Opening course (night 1)was a mixed green salad w/perfect little surprises--surprises we would never have thought to combine but together were simply marvelous-mint, dill, much, much more-lightly dressed in vinaigrette the envy of Paris.Then on to an enormous heap of mussels in this delicate,incredibly flavorful tomato sauce.(Sauce so good took what remained home to try to determine every ingredient and replicate.) A tiramisu-intense chocolate shell dusted w/a fine quality dark cocoa finally did us in. Night two-again simply superb-OMG mushroom ravioli... (review character limit.)Special Features:
- ColdBexleyVIPDined on 8/14/2014The room the hostess took us to was very cold but got a bit better after we asked about it. The waitress charged us the full price for the items we ordered even though we had ordered the Restaurant Week menu. So watch this. Of course she corrected it after we brought it to her attention. Otherwise ok experience. Lia's is always pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First visit went well.BuckerVIPDined on 8/14/2014Initially took a while to get waited on but they seemed to be busier than usual. Other than that, service was fine. Food was excellent and portions were more than generous. Dessert was really outstanding. Definitely worth another visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.