500 Post St.
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.levelthreesf.com/
- Phone: (415) 929-2087
- Hours of Operation:
Start your day off right with a full Breakfast including the JW Buffet with a variety of healthy items and omelets made to order: 6:30am-11:00am; An all day menu is served for Lunch and Dinner and late night: 11:00am-11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Ben Mattman
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: See www.jwmarriottunionsquare.com
- Private Party Facilities: Our Gallery Space provides a unique party experience with social food menus and casual seating arrangements for 10-50 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Jason Lipp 4159292087
- Entertainment: Enjoy cozy, casual dining with eclectic house sound and the art of mixology with our signature hand crafted cocktails.
A word from Level III
Our Look-Vibrant, Energetic, Sophisticated. Our Feel-Social, Communal, Relaxed. Our Food-Flavorful, Shareable, Memorable. Experience social food and modern cocktails at a new level - Level Three. An exciting and stylish new concept in social food and cocktails in the newly transformed JW Marriott San Francisco. Perfectly located in the heart of Union Square, this chic restaurant and lounge features a menu of delicious sharable plates crafted from the freshest, local, seasonal ingredients complemented with an extraordinary cocktail menu custom-created by acclaimed local mixologist H. Ehrmann. Situated on the third floor lobby level of the hotel highlighted by a 16 story atrium, you can dine on dramatic menu items like Seared Jumbo Scallops with Forest Mushrooms, Lobster Meat and Hobb’s Bacon; Fish Tacos with Lime Mango Salsa and Avocado Crush; Slow Braised Ale Short Ribs; and Grilled Angus Sliders.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Level III reviews from OpenTable diners
4 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
romantic (2)special occasion (2)fit for foodies (1)great for lunch (1)neighborhood gem (1)vibrant bar scene (1)notable wine list (1)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- pre-theater diningOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/15/2014pre-theater dining; quiet, excellent & unique menu, good service and no trouble in gaining server's attention during 70-minute dinner even tho' seated in high-backed booth - very secluded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 309 reviews are from the Level III reviews archive.
- Hotel restaurant? No way.BigMeatNoWhammyVIPDined on 6/19/2014Great food. The salads were awesome. Mac n Cheess tops! The wine was amazing. The lounge singer not so much. But she stopped sometimes. I'd go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In the JW MarriottPrincetonVIPDined on 6/7/2014I typically do not chose in-hotel-restaurants, but did not pay attention and ended up here. Not bad, but kind of confirming that I indeed do not want to eat at hotel restaurants. For a hotel restaurant not bad, reasonable food, good service and wine. I guess it mostly the ambiance part that just does not do it for me.
- Nice food but lacking in atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/7/2014Had seen Level III on a bunch of lists so booked it as a specials girls dinner. Food was delicious but the atmosphere was really lacking- I've been in some fun, vibrant hotel restaurants but this was not one of them. Also, while the host was very good our waitress was not very attentive- although the restaurant was far from packed it was difficult to get her attention.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisgustingClabontDined on 5/19/2014The waitress was rude and the fish was spoiled. Absolutely disgusting.
- Great finding in a HotelFoodieGarudaVIPDined on 5/15/2014JW Marriott is always a nice choice for a Hotel, but Level III stands out in the San Francisco night dining scene. The menu is adequate, with lovely Vegetarian choices, the service wonderful, and the place quite unique. Very nice surprise and a very pleasant atmosphere. I fully recommend this restaurant, any time!Special Features:
- Exquisite FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/2/2014If you're in downtown San Francisco, the Level III restaurant in the JW Marriott Hotel is worth going to....even if you're not staying at the hotel. Everything we ordered for our staff dinner was excellent, from the starters to dessert.Special Features:
- Surprise !!!raulanthonyDined on 4/24/2014I had my boyfriends 42nd birthday here with 7 of our friends. The service was amazing!! The ambiance was great. They were so accommodating. I ordered his birthday cake there as well and it was beautiful ... Made with fresh vanilla bean. The icing could have been a bit sweeter but non the less it was really good. The food was delicious. I gave 4 stars instead of 5 because I ordered the filet migion and they were out at 8pm? Well actully 2 of us ordered it but they only had one left so I let one of my guests have it... Even though I really really wanted it. I was forced to order something else... It would have been nice if they offered some kind of compensation for not having any more. Besides that all was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/20/2014We had the filet mignon and it was one of the best I've ever had. Just perfect. The scallops were tasty too. Great service. Very attentive. A bit pricey, but it's downtown San Francisco...Special Features:
- EmmmmRickyDined on 4/18/2014We really wanted to love it all, but there were a few heavy shortcomings. The waitstaff just needs to be trained a little more on orders. Writing our orders on a napkin will almost certainly guarantee mistakes...and, there were many. We were brought the wrong wine. I was brought the wrong entree. Desserts took 25 minutes to come out. PLEASE NOTE: All mistakes were addressed and corrected by the awesome managerial staff. They really did feel bad. I do hope they're able to work on consistency.Special Features:
- Excellent meal in Union Squaredavisj2VIPDined on 4/17/2014Staying nearby, we decided to try Level III for dinner. I ordered a plain filet and opted out of the peppercorn and demiglacé. Steak was fork tender and the potato was very tasty. Husband and I shared the cream spinach which was really great. Only disappointment was the mini dessert ice cream sandwich-ice cream was more ice milk than cream. Overall,a wonderful meal with a single guitar and female singer for background entertainment. Nice night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining spotROBERTVIPDined on 4/12/2014We had a very good dinner and great service, will return there for dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of towners great findHollyLynDined on 4/7/2014Wanted to find a place for 3 out of town couples to congregate for good food, drink & company and not knowing our way around San Fran found Level III on Open Table. A Mon night so perhaps that's why noise level made conversation a breeze but was a perfect place to gather. Diverse enough menu and everything tasted wonderful. Our waiter, Ryan could not have been more perfect ... helpful, friendly, jot hovering but always there when we needed him.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice spotTwinkDined on 4/4/2014Good food and atmosphere. The crab cakes and scallops were great as was the lobster mac n cheese!Special Features:
- HungryHungryVIPDined on 4/3/2014Chef Mattman's menu offering is well-balanced with choices for the most discernable diner, but no one should pass up the Mac N Cheese....it's incredibly yummie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing service; great food.LukeDined on 3/29/2014I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The staff was very courteous and food was amazing!Special Features:
- Always a good experienceKonagirlVIPDined on 3/27/2014Friendly service-good food and now live entertainment..mac and cheese is outstanding- creamy. a great burger- and any soup is a real treat. All are well seasoned.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Review 3/24/14OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/24/2014We had an enjoyable experience. We ordered primarily appetizers and they were outstanding. It was a Monday evening so it was fairly quiet. Service was attentive without being overbearingI would recommend this to a friend.
- Becoming a hot spot....KonagirlVIPDined on 3/4/2014Marriott has added entertainment in the bar on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday for happy hour. We always request a table in the back for privacy and we find it to be a good spot to catch up with friends and family. Good bar menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really great staff, yummy foodBabsVIPDined on 2/19/2014I met 2 girlfriends whom I had not seen a a very long time. There happened to be a lounge singer that night, so I asked for a quiet table so we could talk. They were so accommodating, seating us in the very back in an otherwise unused room. Our server Alassandra was really great - attentive but giving us plenty of time to chat between courses. We wanted a bottle of cabernet, and had chosen one that was also served by the glass - she let each of us have a taste to make sure it suited us before opening a bottle for us. We each had a salad and then shared 3 entrees - a pumpkin ravioli, lobster mac and cheese, and a flatbread pizza - all were delicious. MIght be kind of loud on another night - not sure. I would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pretty goodboilerfishDined on 2/10/2014Tried this place out on a whim. Loved the menu and bar list. Service was pretty good, came early and was not sure who our main server was there were so many helping us out. Portions were good size and yummy. Try the mac and cheese!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JW Marriott bar and restaurantKonagirlVIPDined on 2/7/2014Very good food . Salads are very fresh and burgers are outstanding . Soups are always a treat.Special Features:
- cover charge and minimumadminDined on 1/14/2014My boss attended a conference nearby and this is the only restaurant out of 10 that I used through open table that charged a cover and minimum. Breakfast minimum was $49.00 and lunch was $54 PER PERSON. I will not use this restaurant any more - they took advantage of the situation during the conference.
- Very limited menu. ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/13/2014Very limited menu. Service was spotty. No refills on drinks or water.
- Surprising Supper Club in downtownPattyP14Dined on 12/18/2013This restaurant was actually recommended by another hotel for its music and bar scene. I read about the chef at this JW Marriott Hotel in SF since I stay often in one of their properties in New York City. The food was outstanding, particularly the tomato lobster bisque, and that is something to say coming from a former Bostonian! Imaginative winter cocktail menus, little booths. I liked it enough to return the next morning for breakfast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get the kale saladTheProfessorVIPDined on 12/3/2013One of my favorite SF hotels but I hadn't tried the restaurant until browsing OpenTable reviews which said it was a real find. I agree. The minuses: Wines by the glass were a yawn. I couldn't find a white I wanted to drink. Server disappeared for lengthy periods including after giving me a dessert menu to skim. The place was empty so no people watching. Baguette was a bit flabby. The pluses: The food was great. The servers did a great job except when clearing my dinner plate (he grabbed it while his head was turned away to speak to someone -- I had to dodge). Kale salad was perfectly balanced with a vinaigrette. The sea bass special was luscious without being heavy. Cream puff dessert was classic JW Marriott. Beautiful if dated setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thanksgiving DinnerJoeyDined on 11/28/2013Have eaten at this hotel on and off for many years ----- when it was the Pan Pacific as well. Food passable. Beautiful room and we always enjoy ---food could be a stepped up a bit..... Our particular server was just passable. .....but I always like the venue.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stay AwayLJL1VIPDined on 11/27/2013Our meal was so bad that the manager comped the whole thing. Either no one tastes their food or they had a substitute cook. Just awful.
- Just OKOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/13/2013We were the only people in the restaurant from 6pm-8:30pm. Obviously not a very popular spot in San Fran. Food was just okay...and overpriced.Special Features:
- Great Food, Lackluster AtmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/26/2013This restaurant is located in the Marriott Hotel off Union Square, which opened in 1987 as the Portman back and then underwent at least one more transition to the Pan Pacific before being taken over by the Marriott. I have to say that I preferred the restaurant as it was in the previous two incarnations. Although it was beautifully decorated, the restaurant was nearly empty (which was of a surprise on a Friday night) and therefore lacking any atmosphere. Having said that, the food was excellent, the service absolutely stellar and I could be persuaded to return if I thought there were more life to the place.Special Features:
- Surprisingly Great!HungryGuyVIPDined on 7/12/2013Opentable and Yelp reviews were good, so when we were looking for a decent no-fuss dinner before a show, we decided to give Level III a try, after reviewing the nice range of menu options online. It was GREAT! The four people in our party had a wide range of entrees (pasta, fish, beef). Everyone agreed their dish was DELISH! It was decidedly not crowded for a 6 PM reservation on a Friday evening, so we enjoyed relaxed conversation and laughs over a great meal. Our server, Jeremy, provided EXCELLENT service: speedy, accurate, funny and friendly without being obtrusive or contrived. Now we have a new place to eat before a show! We'll be back! This place deserves to be far more crowded than it was!Special Features:
- The atmosphere was very plesantHungryVIPDined on 6/11/2013The atmosphere was very plesant and the food was superb: fresh, very tasty, healthy portions, and creative. The service was attentive and enthusiastic.Special Features:
- much better than expectedVHung08VIPDined on 5/30/2013the place was completely empty when we walked in, we weren't sure if it would be any good. apart from the server's sub-par english, the food was actually really great. exceeded our expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Level III ReviewTee86VIPDined on 5/5/2013We arrived at a time when the restaurant wasn't very crowded so we were provided quick and personal service. The food was very good and quite tasty (appetizer crab cakes and the Kobe sliders). However, said food was a bit on the overpriced side. Other than the price point issue the dining experience was really quite enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/18/2013We're so glad that we found this hidden restaurant on open table. Directions were needed to find it within the Marriott. The decor was both modern and elegant. The service was amazing from the new hostess to the manager. The oyster appetizer was very good and unique. Both the bass and short ribs were delicious as were their sides, Don't miss the chance to try a dessert trio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okay. The food was notnapagrlDined on 2/14/2013Just okay. The food was not spectacular. My meal was bland and dessert tasted like uncooked cake batter. The service was very poor. There was only one waiter for all of the tables and he only refilled our waters once. Disappointing for being inside the Marriott.Special Features:
- We were disappointed withFoodieVIPDined on 1/15/2013We were disappointed with the lack of ambience-ie-no one was there. We did get there on the early side, 6:15. Also shocked by the high prices. Did not know when we booked it that it was in a hotel, which always raises the cost. My husband liked his short ribs and I ordered an happy hour special, which was a good value. Not a place we would return to.
- The food was decent, but overpricedEasyeaterVIPDined on 1/14/2013The food was decent, but overpriced for the quality.
- We had lunch on New Year'seatoutalotVIPDined on 12/31/2012We had lunch on New Year's Eve. Since we were having a large dinner, we wanted a small lunch and the menu had many options for us. We shared the crab cakes and the sliders. Both were delicious -- and more than we could finish. The hostess and our server were very attentive. We will go back for dinner soon.Special Features:
- Had an amazing time at LevelOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/25/2012Had an amazing time at Level III. The food was delectable, the decor was trendy and our waitress was amazing! Everyone should give this place a try :)Special Features: