1320 19th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20036Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.levantes.com/
- Phone: 2022936301x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Turkish, Greek
- Executive Chef: Akif Gezgic
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: We have full catering menu good for office luncheons, event dinners, receptions etc.
- Special Events: Special cultural days will be announced soon..
A word from Levante's
The word "Levante" is derived from "Levantine" which describes the eastern Mediterranean coastal region that today includes: Turkey, Greece and extends into Lebanon and Israel. The era of the Ottoman Empire and Alexander the Great, past rulers of the Levante region, is now history, but the culinary and cultural traditions live on.The tastes and flavors of that golden age come alive at Levante's. All dishes are made in the Levante tradition using only fresh ingredients. For centuries, these qualities have allowed people of the Mediterranean to eat well and live long healthy lives. Today at Levante's diners can enjoy the variety, freshness and the natural health benefits of this legendary cuisine. Levante's is the first restaurant group to offer eastern Mediterranean cuisine in a casual dining environment. Natural stone and light wood interiors envelope guests. Open kitchens and wood-fired ovens produce charcoal - grilled meats and vegetables, which are prepared in full view of diners.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMediterranean
Levante's - Best Restaurants in Dupont Circle ›
Levante's reviews from OpenTable diners
54 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (35)great for lunch (27)good for groups (25)great for brunch (22)neighborhood gem (16)fit for foodies (15)late-night find (13)kid-friendly (12)romantic (8)special occasion (6)scenic view (6)vibrant bar scene (6)hot spot (5)notable wine list (2)Show More
- Great experienceDMVliferDined on 8/16/2014The food and service at Levante's is wonderful. We went for a large birthday party and the menu had something for everyone, and the service was great. Would definitely recommend for a large outdoor party!Special Features:
- Not recommendediTalianDined on 8/13/2014Three of us tried the grilled calamari and agreed that they were chewy and tough. I didn't like my baklava either. The rest of the food was mediocre. The waitress was pushy.
- Cold Soup, declining qualityOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/12/2014This once reliable restaurant is not the same. Our lentil soup was not hot (not even tepid), hummus was not as tasty, bread not warm. Sorry to see it's past it's glory days.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/11/2014Levante's is my go-to place for lunch near Dupont Circle. The food is always good, with plenty of vegetarian options. The service is great, and for lunch I don't think I've ever found the restaurant too crowded. The real draw, though, is the outdoor seating. Even on this hot day when the patio was in direct midday sun, the table umbrellas kept us shaded and a nice breeze found its way through. The one possible drawback is the occasional truck idling loudly nearby, but don't let that possibility keep you away.Special Features:
- Great for brunchDavidaLocaVIPDined on 6/29/2014This place puts on quite a spread for their brunch buffet. I was really quite impressed.Special Features:
- Healthy and excellentRogerVIPDined on 6/21/2014The food was wonder as was the service. Didn't get a chance to dine outside, but will try another timeSpecial Features:
- menu does not explain itemsNYCchicaVIPDined on 6/18/2014Our waitress's was slow. She couldn't explain items on the menu. Our party had someone with a nut allergy but the waitress never told us there were nuts in the dishes we ordered and it's not on the menu.
- Not a good brunch spotOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/8/2014Brunch buffet food items were left out cold and not prepared right. Waffles were not fresh.
- Friendly service very good foodGourmet2goDined on 5/27/2014Healthy fresh mediterranean cooking. Tasty, light, great bread. Acregular for us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely EveningProsecoVIPDined on 5/24/2014The Bread was absolutely amazing this time. Missed the Seafood Soup but the Chicken Soup was also very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly enjoyed!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/24/2014The salmon was excellent; grilled just as I asked. Some of the best hommos that I had. Our sever was extremely attentive as was all the staff. Great dining experience.Special Features:
- The following 397 reviews are from the Levante's reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/3/2014The food at Levante's is always very good, but our waiter disappeared for long stretches, even though they weren't that busy. When he was there he was friendly but it was hard to get his attention.
- brunch was superbvictorgreenDined on 5/3/2014excellent food that came out very quickly. the bottomless deal allows you unlimited drinks and unlimited alacarte menu entree food orders. Strongly recommend the eggs Benedict. Also, the bloody marys pack a heck of a punchSpecial Features:
- Food, service and drinksFoddiePRVIPDined on 4/26/2014Since I got there I felt in a rush, I told the waitress a few times, please let us finish what we are eating, we will let you know when we want to order more food. The food was good, but cold. The mimosas were warm. I order a plate that I did not what it was, so I asked the waitress if the plate was a small dish or a large one, I was full so I didn't wanted to waste food. The waitress said it was a small plate...long story short it was a gigantic lamb pizza, so I told the waitress, I guess I’m taking the rest home because this is a BIG plate. He said NO you can't take it home. If you can't finish it we will throw it away. I said, so this restaurant prefers to throw away food then letting me take it home and eat it later? He said YES.
- Good dinner experience here!NikkigeeDined on 4/5/2014Very good service, good for groups, good food, would come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Totally enjoyed Levante'sCBR41Dined on 3/29/2014It was a date night and the place was not to busy we only had appetizers and a few cocktails.Looking forward to having dinner again.Special Features:
- Reservation requests ignoredGuysDined on 3/25/2014We were not checked in to our ot reservation but just walked to a table when there was clearly another one reserved for us. I politely mentioned but was already in presence of my guest so didn't want to be emphatic. As a result we sat next to a group of people that got louder and louder as the evening progressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food; pitiful serviceLadyCheetahVIPDined on 3/21/2014I was in DC for a symposium and took my niece who's at Georgetown, to dinner at Levante's. We both like Mediterranean food so we were excited. The appetizer…a Turkish lamb pizza, was great. Actually the food was really good. Then wine was good, but we waited more than an hour for food. When we finally asked, the server said "oh, you didn't get your meals?" Of course not. He was not on top of it at all. He didn't actually put in the order, it appears. And given that, we felt he should have comped our appetizer at least. But no, he gave my niece some extra bread to take home with her left overs. He never came by to ask of we wanted another glass of wine…just really not on top of it so I don't think I'd go back or recommend it.
- Tasty LunchbrownieoneVIPDined on 3/14/2014First time visiting Levante's and boy, do they have a unique lunch menu. I went with a "turkish pizza boat" ... the actual Turkish name of the item is on the menu (Dime?) ... they have six to eight different ones, and it was a great size and delicious. Two lighter eaters probably could have split it for lunch. An iced tea to drink didn't disappoint, and the pre-meal bread from the wood-fired over was a winner too. We could see the wood-fired over from where we sat. Recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Boring.ChefWhoDinesOutVIPDined on 3/13/2014Don't waste your time or money here. I can't even remember what I had, the whole experience was so unmemorable. I'm surprised they can afford the rent in Dupont. Go elsewhere.
- Best Mediterranean n Washington, DCKyriakiChrisVIPDined on 3/9/2014we have been going to Levante for the last 20 years from their first restaurant in Vienna, Austria where the 2 surgeons started to have healthy eating then here in metro-Washington. The food is as great then as it is now and better. The wine selection fabulous especially the once coming from Georgia, an introduction to a euroasiatic country rich with culture and history as well as good drinks. We enjoyed our meal and I am so glad that the portions were reduced to minimum for less waste and good for calorie count and the bread is still OUTSTANDING!!!!! stay the best!!!Special Features:
- Valentine's Day DisappointmentjmurphDined on 2/14/2014I booked my reservations for Valentine's Day. My boyfriend arrives early and tells me that the restaurant only has a "Valentine's Day" menu -- that wasn't mentioned on its website. But he did say that he saw earlier diners order from the regular menu. We asked the waitress if we could order from the regular menu and we were told "no." So we go ahead and order from the more expensive "Valentine's Day" menu. After we had finished our menu we noticed a couple sitting next to us -- which arrived later -- order from the regular menu. I inquired about about the policy of ordering from the regular menu on Valentine's Day. The waitress claimed that she didn't know. Then we noticed other diners ordering from the regular memu. We felt deceived;Special Features:
- Had a very good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/13/2014Had a very good experience at Levante's. Food was excellent with a wide array of selections on the menu primarily with a middle eastern focus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They let me down this time...IndianFoodieVIPDined on 2/7/2014I've been to Levante's many, many times. It's a favorite place of mine -- it's convenient, the food is good, the staff is conscientious. This time, however, the booth that we were seated in was broken. We asked to be moved, we moved. No problem. However, my friend found a hair in his baklava. He is blond and German -- the hair was dark. The manager just comped one baklava as opposed to both. Considering that I've been there many times, I just felt that the it would have been nice to have both diner's desserts comped.
- nice surprise!DebMcDVIPDined on 1/27/2014I have often passed by Levantes, but never had the occassion to eat there. On a cold winter's evening, the central location was perfect for our party of four to meet at. (Right opposite entrance to south entrance of red line's Dupont Circle station.) One of the party had a suitcase and the very eager server seated us in a location where we could easily stow our coats and bags. The excellent service continued with guiding us through the menu. Very good choices for Weight Watchers - grilled meats and salads. Greek and Turkish dishes are well-prepared. I will be returning in warmer weather where I have been told you can dine outdoors.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business LunchBusinessLunchDined on 1/23/2014Returned to Levante's for a business lunch; they were doing "DC Restauarnt Week" specials. Individual portions were rather small, but with 3 courses (starter/appetizer, main, and dessert), we both ate enough. Restuarant Week prices were a bargain (~$20/person; different 3-course specials were avail. with wine for ~$30 each). As alws, the food was very good. The cheese-filled sigara borek were terrific, and the Adana Kebab is authentic. We didn't have wine at lunch, but the wine list is amazing, with one-of-a-kind and unusual offerings. E.g., very good wines from Turkey, Lebanon, Republic of Georgia, etc. The service (Eugenie) was superb! - She was attentive, informative, discrete and cheerful. Try this restaurant -- you'll love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Their glory days may be past?GloryDined on 1/18/2014We went for dinner with the family and all I can say is that the food was mediocre at best considering $160 tab for four!! Nothing special about this Greek haven - at least that's what it used to be when I visited in the years past. Perhaps their glory days are in the past too...disappointing!
- Great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/17/2014Decently priced, wonderful environment, and great Mediterranean food! We highly recommend the cigars. This is not a high end restaurant, but rather one that you feel comfortable, can enjoy the atmosphere, and the good food. It is a place we always enjoy coming back to eat! I hope to try their brunch menu soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great place for brunch, lotsnic73Dined on 1/11/2014great place for brunch, lots of menu items. the drinks were strong worth every penny. also the staff was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place for a Wednesday DinnerJellyDined on 1/8/2014We had a great evening on Wednesday. Random dinner date in the city. Our waiter was fabulous and they had a special menu that night which allowed us to taste across the menu. We were able to enjoy four courses at a decent price. Nice wine and great turkish tea.Special Features:
- Good time, good foodPamukDined on 12/31/2013The food here was better than we had in Istanbul, and just as authentic. Very nice waiter. Will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/27/2013I have not been to Levante for over six months and shame on me. As in the past my meal was fantastic and the wine recommended my our waiter fit their trout special perfectly. I need to make Levante a regular stop.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent food, average serviceFoodadventurerDined on 12/25/2013The staff all seemed very preoccupied. Even when all the patrons were content and involved in dinner. Hard to flag our waiter and tables were super close to our loud neighbors. The food was just ok. We spent most of the evening asking what was being said as it was hard to hear each other. I would try again in a lunchtime setting. Clearly most were not happy to be at work on xmas day.
- Christmas dinnerPierreDined on 12/25/2013We had an early dinner on Christmas. Staff was overwhelmed by crowd. At 5:15 they were out of one of the entrees on special Xmas menu. Also out of one of two dessert choices. They needed 2-3 times wait staff on duty, but those present did their best in a tough situation.
- Consistent (a good thing in DC)shikDined on 12/21/2013Have been going to Levante's as long as I can remember and it's always been good food, which is probably why it's lasted this long. The pides are are always yummy, and this time I tasted some of the sparkling Georgian wine that was quite good as well. And, we received outstanding service from our waiter.
- Consistent successOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/20/2013I've eaten at Levante's a number of times. Consistently good Middle Eastern/Turkish cuisine, a happy reminder of my years living in Ankara and environs. Guest I've taken to Levante's, who don't share my history of living in Anatolia, have enjoyed it as well, which I take as a sign that that the menu is fully compatible with less well-traveled tastes.Special Features:
- Consistently goodMDFoodiesVIPDined on 12/17/2013Despite a number of holiday luncheons all around us, food and service were very good as always. Love the warm pita, fresh grilled salmon, and fresh salads. Perfect for a quick business lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceSpryisleVIPDined on 11/27/2013The Food was extremely bad at this restaurant. The rice seemed like it was warmed up from a previous day. The waiter noticed I did not eat my food. I made a comment to one of the waiters and he in turn went to the manager who was in a hurry to leave. I spent at most up to $50 and truly did not enjoy my meal AT ALL. I sat n this review for months however the lack of response from the manager really bothered. Trust me the picture of the lamb chops that you see in photos I can tell you not to expect the same thing in reality.
- Repeating the Bethesda PerfromanceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/11/2013The service was slow and the waiter wasn't helpful at all. The food was terrible and took far too long. A 3-egg omelette looked like a 3-quail-egg omelette. Two bad experiences in a row here - don't need a third.
- Calarmari and the falafalOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/6/2013Calarmari and the falafal appetizers were excellent. The lamb chops were very tasty also. Overall a very nice meal and a nice comfortable (not roaring loud) restaurant. Good for a business dinner since you can have a conversation that can be heard by your dinner mates but not by everyone else in the restaurant. Looked like a very nice open outdoor area although we were inside in a booth next to the cozy open style kitchen. Probably would be a nice choice in warmer weather!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.