2448 East Burnside St
Portland, OR 97214Neighborhood:
Middle EasternPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.levantpdx.com/
- Phone: 5039542322
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Israeli, Northwest, Middle Eastern
- Executive Chef: Scott Snyder
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Gluten-free Menu, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our private dining room in the wine cellar seats 6 to 8 guests.
A word from Levant
Levant is a French-Arabesque restaurant serving modern representations of Middle Eastern dishes in the heart of Portland, Oregon on bustling close-in East Burnside Street.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Levant reviews from OpenTable diners
65 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (55)neighborhood gem (41)great for outdoor dining (37)special occasion (34)good for groups (18)romantic (18)notable wine list (16)hot spot (6)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Not just for special occasions!SydneyVIPDined on 9/30/2014Everything was wonderful from the fun drinks, to the shared appetizers, salads and entrees. The fried garbanzo beams, heirloom tomato salad and tuna entree were beyond delicious all with beautiful presentations. And the lamb three ways was tender, divine and a treat. We were too full for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SurpriseLuv2cookDined on 9/27/2014We never expected the high quality Levant's presented. The food, service, ambiance, and general experience was THE BESTSpecial Features:
- Fun Find - Great AtmosphereBreakfastHammyDined on 9/26/2014Beautiful restaurant. We chose it because it was listed as one of the top 10 date night restaurants in Portland. Ordered a number of small plates for a quick dinner before an event. Hummus and pita were good, but too much olive oil. The Heirloom Tomato & Herb Salad was great. The kofta and scallops, however, were outstanding. Our server was also very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic, intense foodsileaDined on 9/20/2014I don't believe there is anything mild on this menu. True to the geographical roots, everything is delightfully seasoned and spiced. This may get you into trouble, as they are liberal with the salt and the cocktails are quite strong. The cocktails actually deserve a stand-alone mention - they are, in my experience, unique. We tried several, and while we didn't love all of them, they were all novel in our drinking experience. (There's one i need to google a recipe for, and there's another i want to forget i ever tasted.)Special Features:
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2014NiceNiceNiceNiceNiceNiceNiceNiceNiceNiceNiceNiceNiceNiceNiceSpecial Features:
- Was hoping for more...IlovefoodDined on 9/11/2014I had big expectations for the food and atmosphere based on their website and reviews. I will try the restaurant again, but overall it was a good restaurant, but just not great considering the prices and competition in Portland. The service was good. We started with the lamb hummus, which was tasty and had a good amount of lamb. We found the octopus starter to have too many chickpeas and not enough octopus. It was cooked well enough, but didn't do that much for me in taste. I was excited about the duck entree, but the kamut grain seemed to be undercooked (I'm not familiar with this grain) and dominated the dish. I liked the duck breast but not the texture of the duck sausage. The flavors didn't come together as I'd hoped.
- So delicious!AmdecaDined on 9/5/2014We had a fantastic dinner here. We sat outside on a beautiful summer night. It was hard to narrow down to a few choices, everything sounded so good. We had a delicious octopus and chick pea salad starter, followed by the lamb. We had pita and hummus with spiced chick peas on the side - could have licked that bowl clean. We're definitely coming back soon to try some other dishes! Service was excellent.Special Features:
- Special food, unusual flavors2centsDined on 9/4/2014The interior is understated elegant. The food is fresh and delicious with an assortment of small plates ("cigars"--fried spiced ground lamb wrapped in phyllo)and homemade puffed, warm pita baked in their open hearth. The salads were inventive and well balanced. The scallops were perfect and each bite was surprising. I had the lamb entree (their specialty) with broad beans that the waiter recommended, whose flavors were thoroughly unexpected, without being fussy or forced. The fig and nut tart with almond was a bit dry. But a delightful experience with a very knowledgable waiter.Special Features:
- Vibrant flavorsKMacDined on 9/4/2014This was our third visit to Levant. The menu here is enticing, very Ottolenghi in its approach to the cuisine of the Levant region-- fresh and exciting and unfamiliar enough to most diners to be an adventure. My favorite parts of the menu are the mezze and first courses, and it is easy to make a feast just from the top parts of the menu. We shared a number of things-- pita with hummus and chickpeas,the cauliflower ( addictively good), the Romano beans, the peach and ice plant salad, and the gorgeous beet salad, all excellent and beautifully presented. We had the duck albacore entrees, both good, though I found the albacore had too many competing elements that detracted a bit from the sweet, tender albacore.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ethnic Eating ExtacyCriticalGalDined on 8/30/2014Delicious food served impeccably. Always a treat for the taste buds and the senses. Hummus, pita with za'atar, beef koftas, herbed lamb, roasted cauliflower, charred corn, chilled FRESH tomato soup and icicle plant salad with peaches. Everything was so tasty and I felt like I was experiencing the flavors of Lebanon! The cloth towels in the rest rooms are a sumptuous touch. It's always fun to eat and be at Levant!Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/29/2014Really good take on Middle Eastern food with a focus on great NW ingredients. Nice little patio dining area. Good service. The hummus was excellent. The Albacore Tuna was spiced beautifully and perfectly cooked.Special Features:
- Very nice middle eastern foodVandyBryVIPDined on 8/14/2014I went on a Thursday night. It was pretty quiet. The service was excellent and the food was great. I had the lamb and my guest had the octopus. We also ordered the fried chickpeas as a starter and the pita bread. The chickpeas were great. The pita was quite doughy and not what I was expecting. There was a healthy amount of za'atar, which I think is my new favorite spice. Finally, the server was impressively knowledgeable about the wine selection. I will be returning again.Special Features:
- amazing foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/14/2014Delicious, unexpected, savory, amazing. We had a great time sampling Levant's menu and were delighted with each course.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/13/2014Very impressed with creativity of our lamb dish. True to Levantine influences in all their offerings. Though happily sated with our meal, we couldn't resist dessert and rewarded with the most sublime dessert. The pistachio custard is a 5 star finish. We are foodies and I have never had anything like it. We will dine at Levant again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal experienceBU94510Dined on 8/2/2014My girlfriend and I met one of my friends here for dinner. Wonderful food and drinks. Food was well paced and delicious. Absolutely great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant Harmonious ExecutionExplorerDined on 8/1/2014The menu selections from the Snacks to the entrees proved to be creatively crafted and presented. The use of many seasonal local vegetables, which on this occassion included a chilled yogurt and tomato soup, stunningly seasoned and prepared individually as starters - tricolor califlower, padron peppers and stuffed squash blossoms. The use of spices and unique preparations perfectly accented each plate. Service was unobtrusive and thorough. Wonderful experience worth repeating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent!catgeeDined on 7/30/2014Food was delicious, we'll portioned, and satisfying. Wait staff are friendly, and timely. We had help picking the wine and loved the bottle recommended. All in all a great experience. My only gripes were uncomfortable chairs, and music volumes that made it a bit difficult to really talk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Innovative cuisineDine4inspirationDined on 7/26/2014I am still thinking about the outstanding meal I had at Levant a few days ago. The food was divine - full of flavors and combinations not ordinarily experienced and I have dined out a lot. I really appreciated the beautiful presentation, the inventive use of fine ingredients including exotic spices and the waitress was incredibly knowledgable and personable without being intrusive. I highly recommend Levant and will patiently wait for the chef to write a cookbook since I live on the other side of the country.Special Features:
- Under appreciated gembrunchbabeDined on 7/25/2014Levant is excellent. Creative fresh and delicious. Very accomodating to food restrictions. I LOVE this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A place to celebrateBritsinPDXDined on 7/22/2014We visited levant for an anniversary/birthday celebration and we loved it. The restaurant is a simple design with an outdoor area almost as big as inside. The food is amazing and beautifully presented. The lamb was the star of the show - 4 different cuts on one delicious plate - and the duck was also great, coming with heirloom wheat that gave fabulous texture. The service was friendly and professional and left you feeling that they were going as fast or slow as you wanted for each course. A wonderful evening - we will visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great first impressionPaulandLoryVIPDined on 7/22/2014This was our first visit. We joined two other couples who have enjoyed Levant for some time and were delighted with the entire experience. Delicious, innovative menu. Cordial, relaxed, comfortable atmosphere, which we look forward to enjoying again. Attractive patio/terrace during summer months.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UniquePattyDined on 7/22/2014Very unique menu, with very creative pairings. If you are tired of seeing the same thing on the menu everywhere you go, give this gem a try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gemfoodieVIPDined on 7/19/2014While visiting portland found this superb restaurant. Best pita bread I ever ate, including visiting Israel! Terrific menu and all our dishes were memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful menuSavoirDined on 7/19/2014A wonderful dining experience. The menu was very different and so full or wonderful flavors. The decor is beautiful, service excellent. A Californian who has dined at served top Portland resturants while visiting, this has so far been my favorite dinning experience. I am Vegeterian and found lots of selections. Must say all the meat and fish platers looked and smelled amazing too.Special Features:
- visiting from SeattleeatrideeatDined on 7/19/2014good vibe, very quiet for a Saturday night, no walk ins - restaurant might be targeting a different clientele , perhaps it would do better in Seattle like Mamnoon in Cap Hill. It will be likely difficult for Levant to attract the neighborhood given the flavor profile and price point. Across the way the Matador chain was taking most of the walk in crowd.Special Features:
- Levant is fantasticAshleyinPortlandDined on 7/16/2014I've dined here several times, and I think it's out of this world good. I eat out several nights a week, and this is by far my favorite in Portland.Special Features:
- The following 104 reviews are from the Levant reviews archive.
- Surprise SurprisepdxporterDined on 6/28/2014Was having trouble getting reservations on a Saturday at some of my favorite haunts. I had seen Levant before and always wanted to give it a try but I read some mixed reviews and a visit became a lower priority. We went on Saturday and I was extremely impressed. Start with some hummus and garbanzo beans - choose a salad and Order the lamb for the table! This is as good as it gets in my book for the price and ambiance. Had a great bottle of wine with dinner and impressed friends who had wanted to visit Nostrana. It will reside at the top of all of our lists for places to go!Special Features:
- OregonPinotVIPDined on 6/27/2014When you are 60% empty on a Friday night, service should have more focus, not less.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Looking for something differentonthefly8Dined on 6/20/2014My wife and I were looking for a menu that would be unique even in Portland and Levant did not disappoint. The marinated octopus starter was cooked perfectly and the Quail on Polenta entree had a really nice combination of flavors that helped Levant be just different enough from other restaurants to make it memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place!SEPortlandDined on 6/13/2014We enjoyed our meal very much. The lamb dishes were very good.Special Features:
- A jewel.BillVIPDined on 6/12/2014Outstanding food that is unique; we enjoyed it all. Good wine list with average prices. We wish them well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creativity!vandyVIPDined on 6/7/2014From the appetizer to the entrée, the creativity of the chef was amazing! We will return!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/6/2014Great small plate sharing with interesting tastes. Many so tasty we ordered a second plate.Special Features:
- AngelDined on 5/31/2014Our party of 4 dined at Levant on Saturday night. We all thought it looked beautiful as we entered with the low sun setting and the patio dining open. We sat inside with the open window right there. We tried 9 plates between us and then 2 desserts. We loved the food! The Cornish game hen was wonderful! There was plenty of food . So creative! The staff work really well together and the chef seems very relaxed while orchestrating it all. take a peek in the kitchen and private dining in the back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We liked it!YummyVIPDined on 5/24/2014Great food and drinks. Great outdoor dining area!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exotic & Charming PlaceHappyEaterVIPDined on 5/23/2014Wonderful food, very good wine list, friendly & efficient service, lovely decor. Our table could have been a tad larger, but maybe we just ordered too many dishes (we enjoyed them all)! We will certainly dine at Levant again and highly recommend it to others.Special Features:
- interesting and yummy food!chinchiaDined on 5/14/2014Levant was great. Interesting and delicious food. We loved the cauliflower and falafel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReviewMolldolDined on 5/6/2014Great food. Great service. We couldn't ask for more. It was a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LEVANT is A-MAZING!TPDXVIPDined on 5/3/2014This is my new favorite restaurant in Portland. Before my hubby and I went, I thought it was another kebab-and-hummus-house. I was SO wrong. The food at LEVANT is totally new, yet the flavors are strangely familiar, but with fantastic twists, combinations, and presentations. Try the lamb fingers, fried green almonds, chicory/anchovy salad (mouth-watering!), grilled calçot!...the list goes on and on. As if the food wasn't stupendous enough, the WINE LIST is astounding. Beautiful list of wines, and the wine steward/waiter/manager/owner? was so hospitable, helpful and inviting. What a nice place! Our new neighborhood haunt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious and plentifulCotesdurhonaDined on 5/2/2014the food and cocktails were excellent. period. we were happily stuffedI would recommend this to a friend.