115 Church Street
Burlington, VT 05401Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.leunigsbistro.com/
- Phone: 8028633759
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 9:00am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm, Saturday & Sunday: 2:00pm - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Saturday & Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Donnell Collins
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Jazz with dinner Wednesday through Thursday evenings. During Burlington's Discover Jazz Festival, live jazz opening until closing on the sidewalk cafe.
- Special Events: For UVM Graduation weekend, Lunch and Brunch seating is first come first served. At Dinner, every reservation is for a two-hour dinner. Everyone is celebrating a very special event, and if we've learned anything in college it's to be respectful of others. Another family has reserved your table two hours after your reservation. A non-refundable deposit of $100.00 towards your dinner will be charged to your credit card when the reservation is made. If you do not honor the reservation, a charge of $30 per seat reserved will be charged to your credit card. You can avoid the $30 charge by canceling your reservation by calling 802-863-3759 at least 48 hours prior to your scheduled arrival. The smallest party for which we can reserve is 3 people, and the largest is 10 people. We have 44 seats on our covered, heated patio that are available first come first served each evening. Booking a reservation is acceptance of the stated term
- Cross Street: College Street
- Public Transit: The Free Downtown College Street Shuttle stops across the street from Leunigs
- Parking: No
- Parking Details: Leunigs is in the center of the Church Street Pedestrian Marketplace. Parking is available at metered spots on city streets or in any of 3 public garages within a short walk.
A word from Leunig's Bistro
Leunigs Bistro has been a Burlington institution since it opened in 1980. Located on the corner of Church and College Streets on the Marketplace, it invites all passers by to visit Burlington's own little Parisian Cafe. The decor and ambiance will make you think you're in Paris, and the food will make you think you've died and gone to heaven. A member of the Vermont Fresh Network, Leunigs chefs prepare the best of local ingredients with a worldly accent. Live jazz with dinner Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Lunch served Monday-Friday, Dinner every night, and Brunch on the weekend. Great wines by the glass or bottle, full liquor service. Best people watching in town. Reservations accepted, but not necessary. Every meal served with the panache of Paris and the value of Vermont, right in the center of town.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Leunig's Bistro - Best Restaurants in Burlington, VT ›
Leunig's Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
109 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (69)great for outdoor dining (54)neighborhood gem (45)special occasion (43)romantic (31)great for lunch (30)hot spot (30)great for brunch (27)notable wine list (27)late-night find (22)good for groups (19)vibrant bar scene (19)scenic view (11)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- Another great mealFineDinerDined on 10/28/2014We dine a Leunigs often and have never been disappointed. I had duck with a cherry glaze accompanied by a mac and cheese spaetzle with pistachios, red beets and spinach with cheery sauce. An amazing combination of flavors. Our other entree was coconut crusted salmon cooked as desired. The wine list offers a good selection of affordable as well as higher priced fine wines. Maple creme brulee completed the evening. Our server was informative, efficient and courteous.Special Features:
- Lovely people, splendid foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/26/2014Warm welcome at the door, directly to our reserved table, instant friendly service, quick and delightful gourmet treats, fine wine.... what more could we want?Special Features:
- Legend of Leunig'sOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/25/2014I started goiing to breakfast at Leunig's when I was in college, mostly for the great coffee. I couldn't afford to go for dinner. Now I get to return when visiting my son and never miss booking for dinner! The beef bourguignon is incredible, the filet perfect and the truffle fries delicious. Start with the baby kale salad, it doesn't disappoint. Go back for the banana cream pie or pumpkin cheesecake if you have the room. It continues to be a popular location, on Church where all the action is, so make a reservation. Sunday bruch is a winner too. Like most excellent restaurants in Burlington, they use local produce. Bring your family and enjoy this continued favorite!Special Features:
- OKSedanDined on 10/24/2014Made reservations on Open Table that afternoon. Arrived around 6:00 PM and told the 2 guys at the door that we had reservations. Response was a sullen non response. Ushered upstairs to a table for 2 next to the service station. Noisy and confining. Waitress was a bit loud but OK, food was quite good (mussels in broth, salad and 4 glasses of wine for the 2 of us). I suspect there is more here than our first impressions would suggest. At least I hope so. We will see.
- Good business lunchVoyager9270Dined on 10/24/2014Food was tasty and service was relatively prompt. We were not offered, nor did we receive rolls, prior to our meal. Restaurant was rather loud on a Friday lunch hour, making conversation difficult.Special Features:
- Consistently goodpukanacheeVIPDined on 10/23/2014One of my most favorite places. Excellent service and food. Very much like a French bistro.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointedAlibearDined on 10/21/2014We went here for our anniversary. The server seemed bored with her job. The food was overcooked and loaded with sauce. Our server never asked us how our meals were but simply cleared our plates that remained half eaten. We agreed to look at the dessert menu and she brought us the check instead. We left and went to another restaurant for dessert and after dinner drinks. We had a much better experience after we left.
- wonderful band!PickyVIPDined on 10/21/2014what made th evening very pleasant is a 3 person band with a young women singing french songs.... made the place feel less stuffy than it usually is :)I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mini vacation...via lunchCinCinVIPDined on 10/21/2014I come here because while lunching I feel as though I am sitting in a French bistro in Paris! The colorful bar is just beautiful, and the packed dining areas exude an energy so invigorating. The best folks run the door here...showing me kindness when I arrived a little late for my res. I can always depend on the food-flavorful and really pretty to see. Tiny onions, shreds of beets, rich stocks of flavor intertwine on my plate to bring so much I want in lunch. We didn't have any bread served this time, and I did regret that omission, but I've never had a bad meal here, and I think you will feel happy about walking in when you walk out later.Special Features:
- Great food destroyed by serviceSarah205VIPDined on 10/18/2014The food is fantastic! Everything was served to perfection, and it was one of the memorable food experiences I have had in Burlington. It was completely ruined by HORRIBLE service. It took 40 minutes to get our dinner order placed. The waiter ignored us in very possible way. Not water, no checking on our drink orders, etc. He even rushed through my order so quickly I literally had to stop him to say I am one of those weird people who doesn't like tuna raw, but closer to medium. I will never go back, despite the fantastic food.Special Features:
- Fantastic dining experienceuvmvisitDined on 10/18/2014Just as I remembered, dinner was great, service was everything I could ask for.Special Features:
- Parents weekend UVMblivDined on 10/10/2014Had lunch with my wife and daughter who's a sophomore at UVM. We were greeted nicely, seated promptly. Nice selection of wines and good food. Try the salmon. I had steak frites. Marinated shoulder cut of beef. Excellent. One of the best spots in Burlington.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/10/2014Great restaurant for a college town. More upscale.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxed and friendly eveningOut2eatDined on 10/8/2014We dined with friends on a Wednesday and experienced great food and service. We were able to spend extra time without being rushed to enjoy dessert and conversation. Thanks for helping to make it a great evening with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ambianceRickDined on 9/24/2014excellent service, the thing i liked the most was the lighting its was nice and dim great atmosphere , food was cooked at perfection i had the filet mignon of course the wine list has great names but hard to choose and my server was able to help me choose .On this note i would recommend this restaurant to everybody i know .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointedDebFDined on 9/24/2014It couldn't be much better. Tickets to Pink Martini at the Flynn, warm and sunny September day, drinks at the bar with good looking bartenders, outdoor dining, tables full of cheery diners, delicious food, unrushed service. Leunig's never disappoints!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great lunch spot!CatherineBDined on 9/19/2014Even thought it was chilly out, we ate outside and the food was fabulous! Our favorite spot in Burlinton!Special Features:
- Will Go Next Time in Burlington!eatdessert1stDined on 9/18/2014Excellent food, drink, atmosphere and service. Had a window seat and enjoyed all the evening activity of downtown Burlington. Will definitely return and highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A reliable choice for lunchsheldonDined on 9/15/2014Leunig's remains the restaurant of choice for lunch when in Burlington.Special Features:
- Lived up to reputation!SunshineDined on 9/11/2014Five of us enjoyed great service and great food. The maple crusted salmon was a great hit as was the oyster trio appetizer. The beer and wine choices were more than adequate. Loved the desserts. They were just the right size and a varied selection.Special Features:
- EnjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/10/2014The only complaint I have was that my steak was cooked well instead of medium well. Nice atmosphere. Arrived early for my reservation and was seated immediately. Nice staff. Good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a delightSkymanDined on 9/1/2014We have been going to Leunigs for years. The food is always great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was okay....MarKevVIPDined on 8/30/2014Probably the busiest & most sought out restaurant in Burlington. After dining here, cannot figure out why. It was good, but not great. My husband & I started with escargots for appetizer. Then he had filet mignon for his entree, and I must say it looked delicious. I ordered glazed scallop...there was no umph to this meal. 3 scallops for $29!! Could they have spared 1 or 2 more? The best thing about this dish was the chorizo risotto cake that came with it. Service was also okay, but not spectacular....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/27/2014Enjoyed very much our evening, great food, great service and were pleasantly pleased to hear some live jazz music! We will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent MealDollarBillVIPDined on 8/21/2014Loved the meal and overall ambiance of the restaurant. We sat inside by the bar and there was nice energy in the place. The filet mignon and the cheese plate were both terrific. Highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding dinnerPaulQDined on 8/17/2014The food was delicious (steak for me, fish for her) and the atmosphere excellent. Service was friendly and efficient. We sat by an open window and enjoyed the activity on Church St. as well as the restaurant's own ambience. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- slightly disappointedabbareedDined on 8/15/2014Food was good, not great. Lambchops were uninspired. Service was less than attentive. There are many other alternatives in Burlington I'd go back to firstI would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't believe the hypefoodiesaredorksVIPDined on 8/13/2014Not sure why this restaurant gets such good reviews. Waited in the rain for a half hour for our reservation. The restaurant kept telling us they were waiting for a table to leave but the table was enjoying the dinner/music. We ended up being seated in a half-empty room upstairs. Sadly, the best item was the cheese plate. Duck was dry, scallops sloppy and kids' meals were awful - I think they just serve children their poor/old cuts of meat. One was a medium steak served completely brown & dry, one completely inedible - fish that was so fishy it just stayed on the plate. Waitress did nothing about them. Location is great and music is cool but other than that, I just don't get it.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/13/2014One of my 2 favorite restaurants in the area Leunig's truffle fries are unique, crispy, and delicious! The crab stuffed squash blossoms appetizer was to die for. My lamb chops were done to perfection. It was a little cool that evening and the windows were open and the wine I wanted was not available but otherwise the experience made my birthday celebration a memorable one. Highly recommend it!Special Features:
- Great service, food, settingSkippersrsDined on 8/13/2014We had not been to Leunig's for several years but very much enjoyed lunch with a visiting friend there this week. The ambiance is very European, which we like, the service is friendly and efficient, and the food options are excellent. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice restaurant with issuesDaveVIPDined on 8/11/2014Food and service great until we saw the condition of the restrooms which had not been kept clean. we chose not to finish our meals fearing the unsanitary conditions might extend to the kitchen and tue food. staff appeared to know about the issue and indicated they were trying to get management or the building owner to address.
- OkDukeProfVIPDined on 8/10/2014The menu lacks the simple fare of a true French Bistro, and overreaches. Duke confit salad was not very tasty. Mess of ingredients. Beef bourguignon was traditionally done and tasty. Portions are large even on appetizer menu and petite plates will suffice size for most people.Special Features:
- Tasting menu is funfun2eatDined on 8/6/2014If you have ever been unsure what you want to have for your dinner or would just like to try some things you may not have eaten before I recommend the tasting menu at Leunig's. The portions are generous 4 people can easily share this and get a good meal. I recommend choosing a night when they have a jazz band playing. That will just bring the whole French Bistro experience to a new level.Special Features:
- Mario levesqueNewtownDined on 7/25/2014Our favorite In Burlington. Great vibe, great food and service make it an easy choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great choicekeithjevtDined on 7/25/2014We love Leunig's! Always very good food and drink. Great for people watching right on Church St. and College St. A special place in Burlington.Special Features:
- Excellent ServiceAppreciativeDinerDined on 7/25/2014I usually don't write reviews on anything, but I was so appreciative of the staff at Leunigs on Friday. We had a candidate from out of town visiting and asked online for a quiet table with an open window. We were running late and they held the table for us. They placed us in the perfect spot, and the service, ambience and food was great. It was an important lunch and the staff at Leunigs made it wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Legal and Culinary VictoryHH3rdDined on 7/21/2014We were celebrating a recent victory, thanks to the Judicial System, and picked Leunig's to dine outdoors to celebrate. The summer evening, the food, the atmosphere and the service were each truly exceptional. I recommend Leunig's whole-heartedly. Dine outdoors while the weather allows!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable!!!sufishDined on 7/21/2014Outstanding food, choices, portions, and service. Nothing to complain about and loved the view. Reminded me of eating in Paris and watching the people walk by. This is a gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 Star RestaurantktahdinDined on 7/21/2014Leunig's has always been a favorite of ours. The meals are always wonderful, be it brunch, lunch, or dinner. Great service and priced very well. We lived in Vermont for 11 years and enjoyed Leunig's many, many times over those years. We now live out of state but get back once a year to visit dear friends. Every trip back includes at least one meal at Leunig's!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsMom2boysDined on 7/20/2014A favorite destination, in this case for a 16 year-old birthday celebration for our son...requested and received a lovely table open to College Street...a lovely, sophisticated dining experience, with great service, wonderful meals for all...good to teach him early that special occasions warrants special places, and Leunig's is a wonderful local treasure...makes us grateful to call Burlington home...Special Features: