115 Church Street
Burlington, VT 05401Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.leunigsbistro.com/
- Phone: 8028633759
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 9:00am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm, Saturday & Sunday: 2:00pm - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Saturday & Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Donnell Collins
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Jazz with dinner Wednesday through Thursday evenings. During Burlington's Discover Jazz Festival, live jazz opening until closing on the sidewalk cafe.
- Special Events: For UVM Graduation weekend, Lunch and Brunch seating is first come first served. At Dinner, every reservation is for a two-hour dinner. Everyone is celebrating a very special event, and if we've learned anything in college it's to be respectful of others. Another family has reserved your table two hours after your reservation. A non-refundable deposit of $100.00 towards your dinner will be charged to your credit card when the reservation is made. If you do not honor the reservation, a charge of $30 per seat reserved will be charged to your credit card. You can avoid the $30 charge by canceling your reservation by calling 802-863-3759 at least 48 hours prior to your scheduled arrival. The smallest party for which we can reserve is 3 people, and the largest is 10 people. We have 44 seats on our covered, heated patio that are available first come first served each evening. Booking a reservation is acceptance of the stated term
- Cross Street: College Street
- Public Transit: The Free Downtown College Street Shuttle stops across the street from Leunigs
- Parking: No
- Parking Details: Leunigs is in the center of the Church Street Pedestrian Marketplace. Parking is available at metered spots on city streets or in any of 3 public garages within a short walk.
A word from Leunig's Bistro
Leunigs Bistro has been a Burlington institution since it opened in 1980. Located on the corner of Church and College Streets on the Marketplace, it invites all passers by to visit Burlington's own little Parisian Cafe. The decor and ambiance will make you think you're in Paris, and the food will make you think you've died and gone to heaven. A member of the Vermont Fresh Network, Leunigs chefs prepare the best of local ingredients with a worldly accent. Live jazz with dinner Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Lunch served Monday-Friday, Dinner every night, and Brunch on the weekend. Great wines by the glass or bottle, full liquor service. Best people watching in town. Reservations accepted, but not necessary. Every meal served with the panache of Paris and the value of Vermont, right in the center of town.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Leunig's Bistro - Best Restaurants in Burlington, VT ›
Leunig's Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
92 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (64)fit for foodies (59)special occasion (48)neighborhood gem (38)romantic (34)great for lunch (30)late-night find (26)notable wine list (25)great for brunch (24)hot spot (22)good for groups (19)vibrant bar scene (19)scenic view (10)kid-friendly (5)Show More
- A reliable choice for lunchsheldonDined on 9/15/2014Leunig's remains the restaurant of choice for lunch when in Burlington.Special Features:
- Lived up to reputation!SunshineDined on 9/11/2014Five of us enjoyed great service and great food. The maple crusted salmon was a great hit as was the oyster trio appetizer. The beer and wine choices were more than adequate. Loved the desserts. They were just the right size and a varied selection.Special Features:
- EnjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/10/2014The only complaint I have was that my steak was cooked well instead of medium well. Nice atmosphere. Arrived early for my reservation and was seated immediately. Nice staff. Good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a delightSkymanDined on 9/1/2014We have been going to Leunigs for years. The food is always great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was okay....MarKevVIPDined on 8/30/2014Probably the busiest & most sought out restaurant in Burlington. After dining here, cannot figure out why. It was good, but not great. My husband & I started with escargots for appetizer. Then he had filet mignon for his entree, and I must say it looked delicious. I ordered glazed scallop...there was no umph to this meal. 3 scallops for $29!! Could they have spared 1 or 2 more? The best thing about this dish was the chorizo risotto cake that came with it. Service was also okay, but not spectacular....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/27/2014Enjoyed very much our evening, great food, great service and were pleasantly pleased to hear some live jazz music! We will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent MealDollarBillVIPDined on 8/21/2014Loved the meal and overall ambiance of the restaurant. We sat inside by the bar and there was nice energy in the place. The filet mignon and the cheese plate were both terrific. Highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding dinnerPaulQDined on 8/17/2014The food was delicious (steak for me, fish for her) and the atmosphere excellent. Service was friendly and efficient. We sat by an open window and enjoyed the activity on Church St. as well as the restaurant's own ambience. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- slightly disappointedabbareedDined on 8/15/2014Food was good, not great. Lambchops were uninspired. Service was less than attentive. There are many other alternatives in Burlington I'd go back to firstI would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't believe the hypeOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 8/13/2014Not sure why this restaurant gets such good reviews. Waited in the rain for a half hour for our reservation. The restaurant kept telling us they were waiting for a table to leave but the table was enjoying the dinner/music. We ended up being seated in a half-empty room upstairs. Sadly, the best item was the cheese plate. Duck was dry, scallops sloppy and kids' meals were awful - I think they just serve children their poor/old cuts of meat. One was a medium steak served completely brown & dry, one completely inedible - fish that was so fishy it just stayed on the plate. Waitress did nothing about them. Location is great and music is cool but other than that, I just don't get it.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/13/2014One of my 2 favorite restaurants in the area Leunig's truffle fries are unique, crispy, and delicious! The crab stuffed squash blossoms appetizer was to die for. My lamb chops were done to perfection. It was a little cool that evening and the windows were open and the wine I wanted was not available but otherwise the experience made my birthday celebration a memorable one. Highly recommend it!Special Features:
- Great service, food, settingSkippersrsDined on 8/13/2014We had not been to Leunig's for several years but very much enjoyed lunch with a visiting friend there this week. The ambiance is very European, which we like, the service is friendly and efficient, and the food options are excellent. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice restaurant with issuesDaveDined on 8/11/2014Food and service great until we saw the condition of the restrooms which had not been kept clean. we chose not to finish our meals fearing the unsanitary conditions might extend to the kitchen and tue food. staff appeared to know about the issue and indicated they were trying to get management or the building owner to address.
- OkDukeProfVIPDined on 8/10/2014The menu lacks the simple fare of a true French Bistro, and overreaches. Duke confit salad was not very tasty. Mess of ingredients. Beef bourguignon was traditionally done and tasty. Portions are large even on appetizer menu and petite plates will suffice size for most people.Special Features:
- Tasting menu is funfun2eatDined on 8/6/2014If you have ever been unsure what you want to have for your dinner or would just like to try some things you may not have eaten before I recommend the tasting menu at Leunig's. The portions are generous 4 people can easily share this and get a good meal. I recommend choosing a night when they have a jazz band playing. That will just bring the whole French Bistro experience to a new level.Special Features:
- Mario levesqueNewtownDined on 7/25/2014Our favorite In Burlington. Great vibe, great food and service make it an easy choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great choicekeithjevtDined on 7/25/2014We love Leunig's! Always very good food and drink. Great for people watching right on Church St. and College St. A special place in Burlington.Special Features:
- Excellent ServiceAppreciativeDinerDined on 7/25/2014I usually don't write reviews on anything, but I was so appreciative of the staff at Leunigs on Friday. We had a candidate from out of town visiting and asked online for a quiet table with an open window. We were running late and they held the table for us. They placed us in the perfect spot, and the service, ambience and food was great. It was an important lunch and the staff at Leunigs made it wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Legal and Culinary VictoryHH3rdDined on 7/21/2014We were celebrating a recent victory, thanks to the Judicial System, and picked Leunig's to dine outdoors to celebrate. The summer evening, the food, the atmosphere and the service were each truly exceptional. I recommend Leunig's whole-heartedly. Dine outdoors while the weather allows!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable!!!sufishDined on 7/21/2014Outstanding food, choices, portions, and service. Nothing to complain about and loved the view. Reminded me of eating in Paris and watching the people walk by. This is a gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 Star RestaurantktahdinDined on 7/21/2014Leunig's has always been a favorite of ours. The meals are always wonderful, be it brunch, lunch, or dinner. Great service and priced very well. We lived in Vermont for 11 years and enjoyed Leunig's many, many times over those years. We now live out of state but get back once a year to visit dear friends. Every trip back includes at least one meal at Leunig's!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsMom2boysDined on 7/20/2014A favorite destination, in this case for a 16 year-old birthday celebration for our son...requested and received a lovely table open to College Street...a lovely, sophisticated dining experience, with great service, wonderful meals for all...good to teach him early that special occasions warrants special places, and Leunig's is a wonderful local treasure...makes us grateful to call Burlington home...Special Features:
- Great FoodcrzyforgoodfoodVIPDined on 7/19/2014We come to eat here every year when we come to Burlington from NYC for the Cheese Festival. This place has great food and service and it makes us very happy!Special Features:
- Great food at a happening placerodviewDined on 7/19/2014Reservation honored at a very busy time. Friendly, attentive service. Food well prepared;presented from an interesting menu. Oudoor seating if desired but sat inside by large, open windows. Can get noisy from street revelers. Fun and yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good For VisitorsBobandCarolDined on 7/16/2014I have eaten here many, many times. The food is good but entrees have gotten more and more expensive over the years, making this one of the pricier restaurants in Burlington. There are, however, enough appetizers and salads to make a meal without having to order an entree. The popular Steak Frites is good and between 18-22 dollars. This week I had 3 out of town visitors and wanted to show the vibrant Church Street scene. I made a reservation for 6:45. We arrived promptly and had to wait 25 minutes for our table and this was embarrassing for me and we almost walked away. Everyone enjoyed their meals but that wait didn't seem right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatOut2eatDined on 7/12/2014Inventive and delicious menu, with great service. Consistently good.Special Features:
- Amazing, as Always...RalphDined on 7/11/2014Leunig's never fails to disappoint. The food is expertly prepared and the service is wonderful. We ordered Caesar salads to start, which were perfectly dressed and were served with homemade croutons. We also ordered the duck Frites, which I initially thought were french fries cooked in Duck fat. I was pleasantly surprised to find they were actual duck strips that were breaded and fried. Amazing. We also tried the beef and shrimp skewers, also a delicious choice. Our entrees were Filet Mignon, and Roasted 1/2 duck. The filet was perfectly cooked and incredibly tender. The Duck had an amazing grape barbecue glaze that paired perfectly with the earthy duck meat. This is 5-Star French Cuisine with a Vermont twist. Absolutely amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good doning with reservationsJustvisitingDined on 7/9/2014About 2 years ago we went to Leunigs with friends for dinner and had an outstanding meal and exemplary service. This time the food was good but not outstanding and our server was indifferent. I liked it enough the first time to give it a 3rd chance in the futureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place to celebrate.kidfreedinerDined on 7/7/2014My husband and I wanted to dine somewhere special for our anniversary...somewhere that we wouldn't normally go with our young kids. We had both dined at Leunig's once before. We go there on the later side and enjoyed the ambiance at that time. It was very relaxing and enjoyable. (Although I did see a young child there, I wouldn't consider this a kid restaurant, and wouldn't dream of bringing my rowdy, picky eaters here). The food was great and the portion size was appropriate - not too big, and not too small. I also liked the selection. Some times at more upscale restaurants, I find that there are fewer selections. There were enough here that I couldn't decide what to have! I would most certainly visit Leunig's again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Food!MelissaDined on 7/5/2014When we saw how touristy Church Street was, we were worried that the food at Leunig's wouldn't be very good. But we were delighted with every bite! We had the duck confit salad, escargots, watermelon and feta salad, and steak frites, and every single dish was terrific. The service was friendly and attentive, and we will definitely return next time we are in Burlington!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great dinner spotOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/2/2014Leunig's is a favorite in Burlington for it's menu, service, ambiance, and overall enjoyment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticPattyDined on 7/2/2014We l e Leunig's as one is guaranteed a quality meal & environment. Always at the top of our list!Special Features:
- Always a Great ExperienceBetboDined on 6/28/2014Leunig's is a treasure. I've never been disappointed. It is always bustling but somehow you feel welcomed.Special Features:
- Delightful surprise!MaritarDined on 6/24/2014When we reserved at this French inspired restaurant we expected something a bit more formal so were a little taken aback by the casual atmosphere. But the food was nothing casual. It was excellent in every way. My husband enjoyed the escargots which were served with a cheddar cheese - a nod towards the Vermont influence. I loved the gazpacho. Our steaks were perfectly prepared, the asparagus crisp but tender and the sauce was delicious. A wonderful meal!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/16/2014Duck tacos were minus duck. Dinner much better Don't like outdoor space; smokers right thereSpecial Features:
- Reliably enjoyableVtpeteDined on 6/15/2014The food and service are always very good to excellent. The menu is creative for both meat eaters and vegetarians. A great place to watch Church Street go by. The early bird dinner is a great bargain. At other times I would put their prices in the expensive category. A great meal for a special occasion. I look forward to trying the upstairs lounge in the future for drinks and hors d'oeuvres later in the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MY GO-TO PLACEverycriticaltravelerDined on 6/14/2014This is the place I always take friends from out of town. The food can be excellent. The ambience and place on Church St can't be beat. Great options for full entrees or appetizers and salads.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!llp32Dined on 6/13/2014First time dining at Luenig's. Would highly recommend and come back to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MEMORABLE EVENINGVintageguyDined on 5/27/2014Our party of four selected small plates having had much food while in travel mode. Each plate was distinct and nicely presented. The polenta and risotto sides were tasty as was the Vermont cheese/fruit sampler. Good wines, too. Our waitress SAM was a total delight. The young trio of musicians were terrific (rare that "youngins" are so into jazz). My only less-than-negative comment would be "add another restroom or two in the back of the restaurant! Leunig's Bistro is one of our fave places in Burlington for many reasons. Great way to celebrate our anniversaries.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RushedOHTravellerVIPDined on 5/24/2014Ordered before-dinner drinks, which arrived quickly. A few minutes after that, the server took our order. Within 5 minutes, our meal arrived. We weren't even half-way though our cocktails! We were going to order some wine with dinner, but in the end we shared a glass for dessert.Special Features:
- The following 530 reviews are from the Leunig's Bistro reviews archive.