1 S Pinckney Street Suite 107
Madison, WI 53703Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.letoile-restaurant.com/
- Phone: 6082510500x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Tory Miller
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: East Washington
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Our parking lot is located on the corner of East Washington and Webster Street, behind the American Exchange Bank. Alternate Parking may be found at the Tenney Street parking ramp, located on the corner of Webster and Main Street. Street parking is also available on the Capitol Square most days after 6 P.M.
A word from L'Etoile Restaurant
L'Etoile is a fine dining restaurant on the Capitol Square that focuses on local and sustainably sourced ingredients. Our menu is influenced by numerous culinary traditions and seasonality. Inquire about our monthly wine dinners and tasting menus. Full bar service available.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
L'Etoile Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Madison ›
L'Etoile Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
114 reviews since July 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (99)fit for foodies (93)notable wine list (79)romantic (76)scenic view (65)neighborhood gem (18)hot spot (14)vibrant bar scene (7)good for groups (6)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Terrible experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014This is the first bad review I've ever written on here. The food was okay, but wasn't nearly good enough to justify the price, and the service was sub-par as well. The kitchen took way too long with our food, and with an 8:15 arrival, we weren't out of there in time to catch our 10:00 show which ruined our entire evening. The restaurant didn't offer to give us any kind of price reduction on anything, and we didn't get to enjoy our desert as they packed it up to go at 10:00 (an hour and 45 minutes after we arrived) and it we weren't able to keep it with us inside of the theater. I'm not opposed to paying $65 per plate for food, but I expect a certain level of quality in both food and service for it, and this restaurant fell very short.
- Memorable Evening!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/25/2014My first time to the restaurant, and I look forward to returning. The menu was varied and the food excellent. Our server was knowledgeable and very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014My wife and I tried their 7 course dinner. Each plate was small, tasty, and beautifully prepared. We would love to go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always exceptionalRadclyffeDined on 10/24/2014The food is interesting, creatively prepared and great. The wait staff is exceptionally knowledgeable, friendly and efficient. It's a happy place!Special Features:
- Set ApartDebGDined on 10/20/2014This restaurant is really set apart from the rest. Gorgeous views of the Capital and square, wonderful warm ambiance. Two options - $65 for 3 courses or $125 for 7 courses. We chose 3 courses and were given 3+ options for each course. Service was impeccable and food was delish. If you are looking for upscale dining in Madtown, come here.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/18/2014This was by far the best dining expericne I have had. The staff was amazing and the food was way above what I expected. The choices were all fantastic and I look foward to going back!Special Features:
- Fantasticfoodie03Dined on 10/18/2014We had the 7 course tasting menu with the wine pairing. Every course was paired perfectly and the food was exceptional! The staff was very informed on each dish presented and the sommelier was also very informative. I would highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 48th anniversary / Sweetest Day`14GingerDined on 10/18/2014We had a pleasurable experience complete with fine culinary tastes new to our palate. Patrick, our waiter was congenial, quite knowledgable, and informative. Your Sommelier made wine selection easy while recommending offerings within our budget. One unexpected highlight was being reacquainted with one of your long time waitstaff, Frank. We remember him from the old days on the second story a block away. Not only is Frank an professional waiter but, he (a.k.a FRP) has been one of our favorite volunteer radio programers on WORT-FM. In the Jamaican Patois style of his "Tropical Rydims" Reggae broadcast, every ting irie here at L'toile!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not to be missedJenDan68Dined on 10/18/2014L'Etoile is for people that appreciate great food and ambiance. Our amuse bouche' was a delightful squash soup with an apple compote that was to die for. I would have been happy with a big bowl of that. Even the bread and butter are exceptional. We did the seven course meal and the gems of that were the rib eye, 12 year aged Hooks sharp cheddar and a wonderful pumpkin cheesecake embellished with cherries. The only disappointment food wise was that the scallop and lobster were both over cooked, which was a shame, but they were both still delicious, if not a little bit chewy. We did also experience the best wine I have ever had in my life. Service was excellent as usual. The restaurant is fit for royalty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pamper your taste buds!DiscerningdinerDined on 10/17/2014Love the freshness of the ingredients paired with the ingenuity of Tory's culinary skill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbGourmetloverDined on 10/11/2014Superb- from exquisite food, to flawless service to the arresting view. Absolutely love it! We've been here many times and there is nothing like L'Etoile in Madison.Special Features:
- Service not equal to the ambienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/11/2014We enjoyed the meal, though found the service to be a bit hesitant and inconsistent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Very Special ExperiencespecialoccasiondinerDined on 10/11/2014This was our first time at L'Etoile and we were celebrating my husband's 40th birthday. It was clear the restaurant works hard to meet high standards. Our server was warm and engaging, the food was spectacular, and the wine pairings were phenomenal. I have to admit, I could get used to having a sommelier come to our table and hand pick wines for the night - he was fantastic! We loved the atmosphere and that it was a relaxing pace. Did I mention the food...wow, amazing how well balanced all of the flavors were. I am not a foodie, but was certainly appreciative of how it all came together! Thank you for a wonderful night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top of the line in Madison, WITomnyDined on 10/11/2014L'Etoile is an outstanding restaurant. From my first impressions of the decor, to the attentive, but not overbearing service, to the tastiest martini I've had in years, to the melt in your mouth cuisine, this is a five star find in Madison, Wisconsin. Attention to details is paramount. On a par with the best French restaurants in Manhattan. Foodies will not be disappointed. Bon appetit!Special Features:
- Outstanding.BlaversDined on 10/9/2014If you are looking for food that is creatively and carefully prepared, beautifully presented, and exceptionally delicious, then L'Etoile is the place for you. By far the best dining experience in Madison. The wait staff is extremely knowledgeable and the wine list is a treat. Be sure to leave room for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A dining destinationRoscoeTDined on 10/8/2014We chose to celebrate our wedding anniversary at L'Etoile because of its reputation for fine cuisine and service. We weren't disappointed on any count. Service was flawless from start to finish, and the dishes were creative and well-prepared. Decor is modern but comfortable, and floor-to-ceiling windows offer a lovely view of the state Capitol grounds across the street.Special Features:
- Meh?MevsTheBigTastyWorldDined on 10/4/2014I read mixed reviews but went for a Saturday night dinner while we were in town. My husband and I do tasting menus and upper-end restaurants fairly often, and this didn't really stand out in any way, or for any dish. Service was friendly and quick but a bit...lackluster? The space is gorgeous, quiet, and conducive to conversation. For the 7 course tasting menu, I do admit I was disappointed and a bit remorseful. Perhaps we would have had better luck, and fuller stomachs, with the three course or some dishes to order a la carte. We left and said, "Nice, but we never need to go back." I think that sums it up.Special Features:
- decadent food, excellent servicebogyomaciDined on 10/3/2014This restaurant lives up to any expectations - the food is absolutely excellent and beautifully served, the atmosphere is elegant yet friendly, and the service is excellent. Yes of course, all these things cost money, but if you are in the mood for a special night, it's worth it.Special Features:
- Perfection attainedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/1/2014Too many times I have had dinner at a highly rated, and expensive restaurant and have been disappointed. It may be because if i am going to drop a ton of money on an expensive meal I want everything to be perfect, which ultimately is impossible to attain. L'Etoile has taught me not to settle. This was the perfect meal. The service was excellent, they were patient, informative, and timely in everything they did. The food was delicious, exotic, as well as traditional, and well portioned. The view of the Capital outside the window, and how quiet the restaurant was really created a great atmosphere for one of the most memorable meals I have ever had.Special Features:
- Amazing!ChrisDined on 9/27/2014L'Etoile was a perfect end to a fun weekend visit to Madison. We dine out often in Chicago (where we are spoiled rotten but the variety and talents of our restaurants), but L'Etoile and their prix fixe menu stood up to the challenge. Definitely a must visit apart from the university bar food that surrounds the Capital. And such a beautiful space.Special Features:
- A perfect dinnerFromWichitaDined on 9/26/2014My friend and I totally enjoyed our dinner. We look forward to dining at L'etoile whenever we get to Madison and found this visit to be wonderful. The staff are totally committed to the customer and the food was fantastic. You will never go wrong with a dinner there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Edible ArtOAEpilotDined on 9/23/2014The 7-course prix fixe menu, which changes, frequently, was phenomenal! Monkfish, duck breast, and lamb were excellent. Each of the seven plates were works of art. Our server described the prep of every course making this a wonderful evening. My wife had the 3-course menu with butternut squash soup, strip steak, and creme brûlée. Would have enjoyed the available wine pairings, all good pours, had I not been driving, but instead had excellent Cabernet Sauvignon, my wife - a nice Pinot Grigio. Elegant restaurant, great nighttime setting.Special Features:
- SuperlativeDelightfulVIPDined on 9/20/2014In lovely downtown Madison with a spectacular view of the Capitol, L'Etoile has been a top rated restaurant for years. Every time we return to enjoy a meal there we are pleasantly surprised with new dishes, fresh menu selections and amazing cocktails. While the restaurant has an elegant, white tablecloth, ambience, servers are unpretentious. While many diners appear dressed for a special occasion, casual clothes/jeans are just as common. Options include a 3 course tasting menu (ample for us) and more extensive options. Great place for a craft-cocktail; if you're meeting friends for dinner elsewhere, suggest starting at L'Etoile for an unusual drink (or perfect pour on the traditional manhattan or martini or ending there for a nightcap.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- capital dining with a viewLynnfobroVIPDined on 9/19/2014This is a delicious restaurant worthy of any big city on the coasts but all the more because it is in Madison. There is a wonderful view of the capital building and the service couldn't be better. Anyone wanting a special meal in Madison should definitely give it a try.Special Features:
- L'Etoile deserves all the etoiles.osieorb18Dined on 9/16/2014I came into L'Etoile expecting a nice meal. My expectations were wildly exceeded. L'Etoile is one of the best restaurants I've ever eaten at, comparable to Michelin-starred wonder. It was the best meal I've had in about three years. The experience was great, the service was wonderful. I have nothing negative to say about L'Etoile.Special Features:
- Incredible!LisaroDined on 9/13/2014The food is farm to table and everything melted in your mouth. Excellent wine list. Great ambience. And good music (jazz) that matched the ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AdelheidDined on 9/13/2014Food was superb, had the 7 course dinner, looked forward to each one. To finish it off our granddaughter who is the assisting pastry chef surprised us with an amazing dessert plate for our birthdays and 54th wedding anniversary.Special Features:
- Great Wine PairingsEkeckoDined on 9/11/2014We had the three course dinner with wine pairings. The dinner was excellent but the wine pairings were truly awesome. Usually you expect second rate wines paired by a second rate bartender. However, these pairings were with first quality wines that were perfectly matched to the food.Special Features:
- Downtown ViewWhenD5Dined on 9/10/2014We have been celebrating our anniversaries at LE'toile restaurant for the last 4 years and we love it! Their downtown location is perfectly situated by the Capitol Square. Their menu is always changing and they use local farms and farmer's markets to obtain their ingredients. The service staff is friendly and knowledgeable about the wines and the entrees. They can make recommendations based on what you order. Desserts are the best! So imaginative and the presentation is just perfectly done. We'll be returning again and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- L'Etoile 9/8BeckDined on 9/8/2014I"ve dined at L'Etoile perhaps 20 times since the mid-1970s, and it has steadily gotten better. This was my first trip since it moved to street level (although have dined often at its fraternal twin, Graze). Food was excellent, though not memorable. Beautifully presented, though my taste buds would have preferred bolder tastes. The space is lovely, though without the intimacy at its original location. Music was far too loud for the number of diners, though nice music. Staff was terrific; perhaps the best ever, which is saying something. The shift to three and five course options might not be for every diner, like those on a diet. Pleased by the featured list of half bottles of wine -- for two, just perfect, and wonderful wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Why do you eatsnarkygalDined on 9/4/2014If you eat because the clock has struck the time or because you have a need to fill up please try any fast food. If on the other hand different combinations of flavor actually make you happy and excite you go to L'Etoile.Special Features:
- lunchbunchVIPDined on 8/30/2014Of all of our fine- dining experiences L'Etoile is special! The menu is always splendid, the wait staff knowledgeable and engaging, an excellent wine list with Michael's guidance always perfect which we appreciate--overall an upper echelon dining experience second to none.Special Features:
- L'Etoile not to be missed!JenDan68Dined on 8/22/2014L'Etoile is the best restaurant I have been to in Madison. I do like the new three course and seven course menu, but was very disappointed to find out that they no longer do cheese platters. This and dessert are my favorite parts of the meal. I also wish the online menu could be updated daily with the actual menu for the evening. That said, it is the best food and wine I have had and the service is always excellent. I would highly recommend this as a special occasion restaurant. Definitely worth the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of MadisonGoWithGraceDined on 8/22/2014L'Etoile just keeps getting better after years of being the best. The new tasting menus are superb. We chose the 3 course menu with 4 options for each course. The presentation was perfect and very creative. Fresh, locally sourced ingredients. The squash blossom salad was particularly spectacular. My husband thought the wine pairings were as good as the best in San Francisco. The dining room is elegant, quiet and the views of the Capitol and square are fantastic. Service was perfect.Special Features:
- High ted cold but excellent foodpetcopDined on 8/19/2014We truly enjoyed our dinner at this modern, stylish place. The food was excellent - as it should be if you charge these prices -, the service was attentive. Only minus - and that is important - the zircon secured an arctic climate in the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional!ManhattanbobVIPDined on 8/16/2014My wife and I, long-time Madison residents, recently celebrated her birthday with dinner at L'Etoile. This was our first visit in well over a year. L'Etoile had fallen out of favor with us based on what we deemed to be a disappointing change in direction in 2012-2013. It was obvious to us that management has turned the situation around and that Chef Tory Miller has come back down to earth. We enjoyed our selections from the Three Course Tasting Menu, enhanced by impeccable advice and very well-paced service from Wine Director Michael Kwas. We look forward to another visit soon.Special Features:
- Too stuffyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014Although the food was wonderful the overall atmosphere is too stuffy. If you can get over the awkward service and pretentious atmosphere definitely try it. I dined here with my boyfriend for his birthday. We walked from the hotel and I had a bottle of water that I brought in. The waiter asked me if he could put it in another receptical or take it from the table. They also Use the crumb scrapers sparatically throughout the dinner. All the staff seems scared to mess something up. They are robot like and not sincere. I love places with delicious food and laid back service so this wasn't for me. If you looking for an uptight atmosphere with well done food you will enjoy.Special Features:
- DavieDined on 8/12/2014Simply the best in Madison and one of the finest restaurants in North America.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Complete dining experiencegivernyDined on 8/11/2014Carefully prepared food, excellent service, professional attentive but not over polite staff. Seasonally light and local ingredients. Even though we ordered the three course option, it turned out to be five courses. Great quiet, subdued ambiance, classy, but not pretentious.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/9/2014Food is terrific. Wait staff is attentive and informative. Wine is overpriced. View of the Capitol Square is great for people watchers. Parking less than convenient, especially if the weather is unpleasant.Special Features: