1 S Pinckney Street Suite 107
Madison, WI 53703Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.letoile-restaurant.com/
- Phone: 6082510500x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Tory Miller
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: East Washington
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Our parking lot is located on the corner of East Washington and Webster Street, behind the American Exchange Bank. Alternate Parking may be found at the Tenney Street parking ramp, located on the corner of Webster and Main Street. Street parking is also available on the Capitol Square most days after 6 P.M.
A word from L'Etoile Restaurant
L'Etoile is a fine dining restaurant on the Capitol Square that focuses on local and sustainably sourced ingredients. Our menu is influenced by numerous culinary traditions and seasonality. Inquire about our monthly wine dinners and tasting menus. Full bar service available.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
L'Etoile Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Madison ›
L'Etoile Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
126 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (115)fit for foodies (93)romantic (82)notable wine list (82)scenic view (62)neighborhood gem (15)hot spot (10)good for groups (4)vibrant bar scene (3)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (1)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- L'Etoile not to be missed!JenDan68Dined on 8/22/2014L'Etoile is the best restaurant I have been to in Madison. I do like the new three course and seven course menu, but was very disappointed to find out that they no longer do cheese platters. This and dessert are my favorite parts of the meal. I also wish the online menu could be updated daily with the actual menu for the evening. That said, it is the best food and wine I have had and the service is always excellent. I would highly recommend this as a special occasion restaurant. Definitely worth the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of MadisonGoWithGraceDined on 8/22/2014L'Etoile just keeps getting better after years of being the best. The new tasting menus are superb. We chose the 3 course menu with 4 options for each course. The presentation was perfect and very creative. Fresh, locally sourced ingredients. The squash blossom salad was particularly spectacular. My husband thought the wine pairings were as good as the best in San Francisco. The dining room is elegant, quiet and the views of the Capitol and square are fantastic. Service was perfect.Special Features:
- Exceptional!ManhattanbobVIPDined on 8/16/2014My wife and I, long-time Madison residents, recently celebrated her birthday with dinner at L'Etoile. This was our first visit in well over a year. L'Etoile had fallen out of favor with us based on what we deemed to be a disappointing change in direction in 2012-2013. It was obvious to us that management has turned the situation around and that Chef Tory Miller has come back down to earth. We enjoyed our selections from the Three Course Tasting Menu, enhanced by impeccable advice and very well-paced service from Wine Director Michael Kwas. We look forward to another visit soon.Special Features:
- Too stuffyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014Although the food was wonderful the overall atmosphere is too stuffy. If you can get over the awkward service and pretentious atmosphere definitely try it. I dined here with my boyfriend for his birthday. We walked from the hotel and I had a bottle of water that I brought in. The waiter asked me if he could put it in another receptical or take it from the table. They also Use the crumb scrapers sparatically throughout the dinner. All the staff seems scared to mess something up. They are robot like and not sincere. I love places with delicious food and laid back service so this wasn't for me. If you looking for an uptight atmosphere with well done food you will enjoy.Special Features:
- DavieDined on 8/12/2014Simply the best in Madison and one of the finest restaurants in North America.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Complete dining experiencegivernyDined on 8/11/2014Carefully prepared food, excellent service, professional attentive but not over polite staff. Seasonally light and local ingredients. Even though we ordered the three course option, it turned out to be five courses. Great quiet, subdued ambiance, classy, but not pretentious.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/9/2014Food is terrific. Wait staff is attentive and informative. Wine is overpriced. View of the Capitol Square is great for people watchers. Parking less than convenient, especially if the weather is unpleasant.Special Features:
- Great restaurantOperationDinnerOutVIPDined on 8/6/2014This is a truly top-flght restaurant with inventive food, an incredible wine list, pleasant staff, and nice ambiance. Cannot imagine that there's a better place in Madison -- or many cities.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014Excellent service and food. We enjoyed the 3 course meal with wine pairings - which also came with 2 amuse courses. Everything was excellent. I will note that we checked the menu online to ensure we would be happy with the options. The entree that my husband wanted was no longer offered when we arrived at the restuarant and the was no ability to request a subsitute. I suggest calling the restaurant in advance if you have certain food preferences.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Restaurant in MadisonBZB2Dined on 8/1/2014L'Etoile offers an original, expertly crafted seasonal menu, phenomenal wines and cocktails and thoughtful, attentive service. Sophisticated dining room with a gorgeous view of Wisconsin's capitol. Excellent wine pairings. The staff clearly enjoy what they do, where they work and are deservedly proud of their product. A 5-star dining experience on par with any, anywhere, and right here in Madison! You absolutely, positively need a reservation on a Friday or Saturday night.Special Features:
- Awesome AnniversaryJosephtheFoodieDined on 8/1/2014We had an amazing time celebrating our anniversary. They started us off with complimentary flutes of champagne. Then they had a special menu for anniversaries which they let us take with us after the meal. We had the choice of the 3-course 'Tasting' menu or the 7-course 'Prix Fixe' menu each with an optional wine pairing. We went with the 'Tasting' menu and which included complimentary canape, amuse bouche, house made bread, and after-bite. The cocktails were sublime. The atmosphere was perfect.Special Features:
- BunnygalDined on 7/31/2014Food is wonderful but the portions are so very, very small and the prices are very, very big. Even as a foodie, the ridiculously small portions are even too delicate for a tiny person. L'Etoile should kick it up slightly to a small plate size versus an XXXSmall plate. Wine list good. Members of our dinner table felt they needed to get a pizza afterward because they felt they had only "bites", one each of the three course meal. The combinations of organically grown veggies with supreme seasonings was special. The monkfish was terrific. Only complaint is the price for the overall value.Special Features:
- gavelingourmetDined on 7/31/2014Each dish amazing. Less expensive menu not as great. A tad expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over the top, over priced, no parkexperiencedDined on 7/29/2014This restaurant takes its self too seriously, while the food is good, it is not great and the prices are very high. On top of that parking is very inconvenient. At an average of $100 to $150 for dinner and drinks, overall convenience needs to be better. Will not go back.Special Features:
- Without Peer in MadisonHerkyVIPDined on 7/26/2014Once again, an amazing dining experience. Wonderful wine pairings with the three course meal options. One criticism; this is the first time that I felt that I was eating on their schedule and not mine. Felt a bit rushed at times to finish the course and the wine and move along.Special Features:
- Awesome dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 7/26/2014Delicious food presented beautifully. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fit for an AnniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/26/2014Visited for our anniversary. Very nice experience and great service. Food was excellent and the new menu style was lovely with paired wine selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulWivaDined on 7/24/2014My husband and I went for dinner last week and it was a truly enjoyable experience. The restaurant itself is beautiful and immaculate, the service is flawless, the wine pairings were perfect, and the food itself was art. Absolutely delicious, inventive, and beautifully presented. We will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Occasion TreatDeliciousDined on 7/24/2014We opted for the $65 3 course tasting menu, with 3 options for each course. Our table of three thoroughly enjoyed the appetizers and desserts we selected but were not wowed by the entrees. The Argentinean inflected ribeye was thin so it was difficult to achieve medium rare and the chimichurri sauce overwhelmed the beef flavor. The meat also had some gristle. The grouper with summer vegetables was nicely done but a tad bland. Service was excellent. With a middle level bottle of wine and tip, the bill ran around $115 per person. L'Etoile's food is generally but not always wonderful, which one expects it to be at this price point. The overall dining experience befits a special occasion restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday celebrationfoodievDined on 7/19/2014I like the intimacy of the old L'Etoile concept better. I'm not a fan of the updated more open air dining. I miss the old concept. I also prefer options other than a fixed-price menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChangeOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/18/2014Have frequented this restaurant since its opening. Always fantastic. Last meal saw a sharp decline in the food quality. Had rib eye that was unrecognizable and covered in a thick sauce. Partner had the sea bass and thought it was somewhat ordinary. The new menu also limits choices and made it difficult to find suitable items. It seems to me the menu change was made to decrease the work in the kitchen and not for the benefit of the patron. Will try again in case it was an off night, but if it continues will not return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- RZCoMoDined on 7/18/2014Have dined here at least a dozen times and have always come away feeling that I have been in one of the premier restaurants in the mid-West. I did not have that feeling this last time. I was very disappointed in the exclusive fixed price menu. Also, the main course that I ordered was not up to the standards that I have come to expect. For the first time, in all of my meals here, I did not feel that I had been to a first class restaurant.Special Features:
- Wonderful!seeswoDined on 7/14/2014My wife and I visited for our anniversary and ordered the 7 course tasting menu. We were not disappointed! The food kept coming out in waves of deliciousness, with just the right portion size and timing to feel neither hungry nor full. The flavor combinations were outstanding, where even the worst dish of the night was excellent. We eschewed the wine pairings for cocktails and thoroughly enjoyed them. I would highly recommend this restaurant, and the 7 course tasting menu, for a special occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best mealaesojkaDined on 7/12/2014We went all-out and ordered the $125 seven course menu with the $65 wine pairing. It was one of the best meals I have ever had. My husband and I had an absolutely amazing experience. Our waiter was top-notch as well.Special Features:
- Great restaurantLostGreekDined on 7/11/2014We had L'Etoile recommended and were not disappointed. It was great experience: Wonderful food and attentive service. I tack this as "kid-friendly" as our kids (aged 10 and 13) really like the restaurant (and their large selection of non alcoholic cocktails :-) In our opinion the best restaurant in Madison and it could compete with the good ones in Chicago too.Special Features:
- L'Etoile's new prix fixe menu=5starcwdbDined on 7/8/2014I don't know how L'Etoile manages to stay in top form, year after year. I went whole hog and took the tasting menu for 8jul and it was well worth the the twelve and a half thousand pennies it cost, each of the seven dishes a piece of culinary art, and some simply stunning. I am not sophisticated enough to fully appreciate the rich variety of wines provided to go along these dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesomefoodie1VIPDined on 7/7/2014Great experience beginning to end. Service was outstanding. Food the same. Wine pairings with tasting menu were great. Beautiful location on capitol square. Clearly one of the best restaurants in the country.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best place in town!BlaversDined on 7/7/2014This is our favorite restaurant in Madison, especially for special occasions. If you want an exceptional dining experience, this is the place. Absolutely hands down the best dining experience in Madison. We are always blown away by the Chef's imaginative use of ingredients, which also happen to be exceptionally fresh and mostly locally-sourced. They have a superb wine list and extremely knowledgeable staff. If you've never dined at L'Etoile, do yourself a favor and make a reservation.Special Features:
- Madison's Bestfinedining4meDined on 7/5/2014Undoubtedly the finest dining in Madison Wisconsin. Impeccable "proper" service, wonderful food that was as pleasing to the eye as it was to the palate. The use of local ingredients adds to the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great dinner experienceFlyNDineDined on 7/1/2014Having been to top restaurants all over the world, I would put L'Etoile right up there with some of the best places I've dined. The small restaurant allows for top-notch service and a great atmosphere. Their new menu choices (2 dining options) allowed for enough variety that we were both satisfied despite different preferences. We loved the overall experience and would highly recommend it to anyone thinking about a nice night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbSkiZGDined on 6/30/2014My husband and I have long been fans of Graze, but had never been to L'Etoile. We were delighted. We ordered from the 3-course tasting menu with wine pairings. Each and every course was brilliant; and the wines were perfectly suited to each. Our server Mike was knowledgeable and added to the enjoyment if our meal. Acknowledging our wedding anniversary with our names in our menus and complimentary bubbly to begin made us feel special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodLFWRNDined on 6/25/2014It was our first time in Madison and we picked this from Trip advisor. Food was excellent and service was wonderful. Will return next time in Madison!Special Features:
- Good food but priceyMurph21Dined on 6/19/2014The service was excellent and we knew what we were getting into for the price. My steak was excellent and the wine was good. The bottle was very overpriced and the steak was $57, which seemed steep. I just kept telling my wife to ignore the prices. My wife's pasta meal was just okay. She ordered it for the beets and there were only two in there. We will not be back because we decided the next day that we have had just as good of meals at a restaurant that charges a 1/4th of the price. Our meal was $248 with tip. Pricey! Anyhow, it was our anniversary so we just tried to remain positive.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerBirthdayDined on 6/19/2014Took my wife for her birthday. Hadn't been in a couple of years. Chef Tory did not disappoint. Best spot in Madison for special or romantic occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic all aroundOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/18/2014Clearly the best place in town. Great service, creative menu, exceptionally cooked. Everything we had was spot on and wonderful.Special Features:
- Outstanding Dining ExperienceJOS57FoodieDined on 6/18/2014This was one of the most outstanding dining experiences I have ever experienced. L'Etoile Restaurant has been a dining destination I had wanted to experience for many years and in no way did it disappoint. From the moment my husband and I walked in the door we were treated as special guests to this truly amazing dining experience. It was an awesome way to celebrate my birthday! Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Madison Gemparis22Dined on 6/14/2014A lovely choice for a dinner that you can linger over. Food was delicious--I had the Copper River Salmon. Good wine list, Nice cocktail menu, lovely desserts. The timing between courses is nicely paced. Our server was prompt, professional, and cordial without being overly chummy, which I appreciate. He could answer all questions about the items on the menu. As should be expected, plates and flatware were removed and replaced, and water glasses kept full during the meal in an unobtrusive manner by the staff. Best dinner I've had in a long time. I would recommend this for special occasions or just a special night out. A lovely evening, a delicious dinner. Menu changes often, in keeping with fresh seasonal sourcing of ingredients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed our visit once againPD2013Dined on 6/11/2014We have been to the restaurant previously and once again enjoyed our meals. Fresh and unique. One of the wine pairings may not have been the best, but it was enjoyable nevertheless. Will return again.Special Features:
- Delightful evening for twoAgedwineDined on 6/11/2014Food and wine excellent. Use of local foods was imaginative and not drab. Service attentive and helpful when needed. Atmosphere vibrant, but intimate. Great city view and people-watching spotSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- midwestgrlDined on 6/7/2014Loved the halibut, but was disappointed with the appetizer I ordered. The description included many vegetables, including beets, turnip, peas shoots, however the plate appeared to have more cubed ham than veggies. Would have liked more vegetarian options for appetizers. Thought in general meal was overpriced. This is 3rd visit to this restaurant, and next time will try another when in town. Atmosphere more modern, but colder than at previous location.Special Features: