774 Boylston St
Boston, MA 02199Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.lespalier.com/
- Phone: 617-262-3023x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30am - 2:30pm, Saturday & Sunday 12pm - 1:30pm; Tea: Saturday & Sunday 1:30pm-3:00pm;
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 5:30pm-9:30pm, Friday & Saturday 5:30pm-10:30pm;
The Salon is available during our regular hours of operation for lunch and dinner service.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Frank McClelland
- Dress Code: Jacket Preferred
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, High Tea, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Au Soleil Catering brings the same dedication to excellence in cuisine and service that our guests at Sel de la Terre and L’Espalier have grown to know and love. From the rustic simplicity of Sel de la Terre’s cuisine to the lavish opulence of L’Espalier’s modern New England-French cuisine, Au Soleil presents a variety of options to suit every style of event. Call Au Soleil at 617-535-6040 or visit www.ausoleilcatering.com for more information.
- Special Events: ~Wine Mondays: 4 courses with wine pairings, centered around a changing theme. $85 per person, every Monday at 7pm!
Check our website for more information on upcoming special events and themed dinners.
A word from L'Espalier
L'Espalier can be found at its new home on Boylston Street, adjacent to the Mandarin Oriental Hotel. L'Espalier is a culinary exploration, featuring sophisticated and modern New England-French cuisine, with an emphasis on artisanal and New England ingredients.Continued
**Please note we are not able to accept reservations for the Chef's Table, Wine Monday, or Cheese Tuesday on OpenTable.com.
**Please note we are not able to accept reservations for the Chef's Table, Wine Monday, or Cheese Tuesday on OpenTable.com.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
L'Espalier - Best Restaurants in Back Bay ›
L'Espalier reviews from OpenTable diners
143 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (117)romantic (108)fit for foodies (105)notable wine list (83)neighborhood gem (20)great for lunch (15)good for groups (14)scenic view (14)hot spot (8)great for brunch (5)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014It is difficult to convey in words how good this meal was. Innovation, surprises and excellent service all made this a tremendous meal. It is a joy to have this level of culinary skill in Boston.Special Features:
- Great foodllllgDined on 10/15/2014Great food. It was a little chilly ... so take a sweater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply the best dining experienceFoodieVIPDined on 10/14/2014L'Espalier remains the best overall dining experience in Boston. Be prepared to spend 3 hours eating, and to spend at least $150/person, plus tip, but it is worth every dollar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oppi328VIPDined on 10/12/2014L'Espalier is a great restaurant to go to to celebrate a special occasion. The servers are very attentive. The restaurant offers two different menus, but we chose the 6 course menu for $115.00 over the 3 course menu for $95 because the 2 best choices on that menu had an upcharge. We were disappointed that the foie gras course was a mousse because we would have preferred it seared. The lamb chop was delicious, but there was only one chop per person which wasn't enough. The cheese course was the best! We each got to sample 6 different cheeses, and we were even offered a seventh cheese! The dessert was an apple mixture in a glass jar. We were told after the fact that we could have substituted one of the other desserts, but it was too late.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food okay serviceRemyDined on 10/11/2014We went for dinner on a special occasion and had the degustation tasting menu. The food was quite nice, we especially enjoyed the Grand Fromage and the foie gras; the decor and ambience for dinner was romantic. The only area for improvement we wanted to mention was that there was an apparent difference in the level of service that my friend and I received compared to other tables. We don't know for what reason and can only speculate (perhaps because we were younger than others in the dining room), but the waitress did not seem to give us nearly as much attention, often forgetting certain elements we had requested throughout the course of our meal. Several of the other servers seemed to be quite forgetful and brusque in manner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- L'EspalierOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014Way over priced for the miniscule portions and the meals were simply nothing special, despite all the overly fancy. Far more show than substance
- Exceptional!DCdocVIPDined on 10/10/2014Truly outstanding. Best restaurant experience and meal my wife and I have had in over a decade. A real "event" dining experience.we enjoyed the degustation menu. One course was more creative and wonderful than the next. We very much look forward to getting back to Boston to repeat this wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On its way backErwinDined on 10/9/2014This review will be a harsh one even with the 4/5 star rating. But it's harsh because L'Espalier is shooting for a Michelin star. Service is impeccable and they've gotten less suggestive. The servers are respectful, reserved, warm and only visible when they need to be. The food is still lacking Michelin stature. While it's wonderful and most likely as high a caliber as Boston can offer on any given night, it just doesn't cut it for the level it is trying to compete at. That's not to say it isn't wonderful. Food: 8 Ambience: 9.5 Service: 9.5Special Features:
- A good placestevenyangDined on 10/4/2014It is definitely a great restaurant. Everything tastes good.Special Features:
- Always exceptional!!golfgirlDined on 10/4/2014L'Espalier never disappoints. The food is fresh, locally sourced, and superb! The service is unparalleled. The best restaurant in Boston!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- small portions of weird foodGiveDined on 10/3/2014If you like to spend money (>$270/ couple) on a 3 course meal consisting of spoonful portions of weird food, this is your place!! Even a glass of normal wine was over $20! Only "pluses" was the service & dessert --
- DullOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/29/2014We thought the food was quite dull and unexciting. Can't see why it is so recommended. Maybe once upon a time but not now.
- Outstanding lunchFrancoisDined on 9/29/2014L'Espalier keeps up its high standards at lunch, with a very quiet atmosphere, good for intimate conversation. We got a window looking over the street, so we could see bustling crowds below. Wines are excellent, and the beef and the duck pate are rich. Well worth the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food missed the markMadameJosephineDined on 9/28/2014Atmosphere serene, service good but some how the food just didn't do it for us. We took the 3 course option rather than the 5 course tasting menu, so maybe that was the issue. Foie Gras starter was excellent as was the chocolate souffle dessert, but the rest was rather ordinary. We were given three little amuse bouche before the starters which were a mix of delicious and ordinary, so a taste of things to come. Couldn't recommend it to others.Special Features:
- ArtMDined on 9/27/2014Professional, friendly service without pretention. Wonderful food in a great atmosphere. Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable nightNickDined on 9/27/2014We selected the $115 several course meal. Our waiter was new and allowed our questions to be answered by a very knowledgable waitstaff. The food was times out perfectly. Each course was esquisitely prepared with local ingredients. The wine selection was vast and the wine expert was very helpful. You will love this place. Loren and NickSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingWannaBeFoodieDined on 9/27/2014I am so glad I celebrated my 30th birthday here. The food, service, and ambiance was amazing. I am not a fan of wine but or waiter recommended a wine I liked. Everyone was so sweet. I love how secret the entrance is. We had the Autumn prix fixe and it was worth it. The rib eye was delicious, but the salmon was lackluster. The birthday surprise was lovely at the end. Definitely worth it for an appropriate special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best dinner we have had in BostonOwletteVIPDined on 9/23/2014Don't expect to have a conversation with your dinner partner :-) A waiter or service person will constantly be doing something at your table :-) Very upscale and wonderful meal (we took the "autumn degustation")Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fancy restaurant !fina14Dined on 9/22/2014This restaurant is really nice, good atmosphere really fancy and and comfy. It is really quiet, with just very low volume of jazz music. Food is super great, except the bread, as I come from France sorry I am a bit picky there ! Except for that everything was great, the service is not intruding and we were really happy of the staff. I really recommend this place in Boston to anyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Presentation!StavieVIPDined on 9/20/2014The place is very relaxing, the presentation of the dishes outstanding, but the food and dessert average. We won't go back again...Special Features:
- Foodie52390Dined on 9/19/2014The tasting menu with paired wines was heaven. It's worth the extra since so much thought and work gets put into such a delicious feast!Special Features:
- Muito top!rafaelrvazVIPDined on 9/15/2014alto nivel o restaurante, fiz o degustação de US$115 dollares, alto nivel os pratos e o ambiente muito agradavel tbSpecial Features:
- Fine, but slightly disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/15/2014Fantastic service. Awesome wine pairings. Tasting menu fine, but with a one exceptional course, it was not the "WOW" that I expected, especially at the price. The plates and the plating were amazing... but I think the food got a little lukewarm while they were doing it!Special Features:
- Impeccable service-outstanding foodXavierVIPDined on 9/9/2014As always L'Espalier delivered a great experience for my guests- this was their first time there and they loved it: hope I made them new devotees to one of my favorite restaurants in Boston. Service is always flawless and in a very friendly and accueillant. Enjoy every minute of your experience- you will be happy for every dollar you spend here. Bon appétit et à très bientôt!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good, as alwaysAnonymousVIPDined on 9/8/2014Service & food were very good. I would say that this time, the food wasn't quite as spectacular (ex.: herbs on my bluefin tuna app were burned, bitter), but it may just be that I'm spoiled having eaten at some stellar restaurants lately, including Menton. There was a near-miss with a food allergy that could've proven dangerous, but they were apologetic. My one frustration was a small pour on a $28 glass of Pomerol. My friend and I noted that it was far less substantial than hers. When you're paying a premium for Bourdeux, it's very annoying, particularly when you have two glasses poured side-to-side and one is two fingerbreadths lower. In happier news, Louis did not disappoint with a selection of cheese. We always like when he's there.Special Features:
- L'Espalier is still tops in BostonOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/6/2014The reception, service and food at L'Espalier all lived up to its high expectations. The menus are easy to navigate, with the choice of the sampler being wonderful. The range of flavors and foods are amazing in one dinner!Special Features:
- Wonderfull experianceFoodie1Dined on 8/31/2014Absolutely top of its class restaurant with wonderful food and romantic ambience. Service was very slow in the beginning but picked up after we brought it to the head waiters attention. Deffinitely return when back in Boston.Special Features:
- Boston labor day weekendtori858VIPDined on 8/30/2014Delicious food. A real 'experience' from start to finish - food is beautifully presented, and blended to perfection. Fantastic service - staff were incredibly attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing All AroundKrconrad87Dined on 8/30/2014The chef had such amazing, creative, delicious dishes. The service was first class. This restaurant is perfect for foodies and special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worthy of a Michelin StarCallalillyVIPDined on 8/28/2014The level of service, gourmet preparation of every dish, and overall dining experience make L'Espalier worthy of a Michelin Star as far as we're concerned. Every detail was superb, starting with inventive and delicious amuse bouches and incredible fresh warm rolls and warm house-made pretzels (having them warm makes such a difference)! The sommelier, Bob, practically became a family member--and he gave us a great wine recommendation. The waitstaff were all pleasant and professional. The ambience is lovely--quiet, soft lighting, comfortable seating in a corner. The salads and entrees were superb: esthetically beautiful; subtle flavor combinations. It was a truly memorable evening in every way!Special Features:
- Amazing Restaurant!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/25/2014Best restaurant in Boston! It's beautiful and romantic. The food is absolutely amazing!!Special Features:
- wine dinner1serialdinerVIPDined on 8/25/2014I have sworn off wine dinners numerous times...I always think it's a bit of a hog feed, same dishes all out at the same time, hard to maintain all at the right temp., etc. Well, the staff did a good job, and everything was fine, but not spectacular like I would expect from L'espalier. I enjoyed the wines, all Pinot's, but my companion wasn't as pleased by them. I promise I will try really hard not to get sucked into a wine dinner again for fairness to the chef.Special Features:
- A truly wonderful placeAcolyteDined on 8/23/2014Utterly dependable, never boring, exquisite in so many ways.Special Features:
- Not up to expectationsInStepOrOutDined on 8/23/2014The food was good (not great), the service and ambience were excellent, but the overall experience did not seem at par with the expense. I have had some wonderful meals at L'Espalier in the past, but not this time.
- WiltonFanVIPDined on 8/22/2014We have visited L'Espalier each time we have been in town over the last five years and I am very sad to say this was the first time when it was a little off. Very sad to say but it just seemed a little off its highest of standards in the kitchen. Service and wines are absolutely to visit for, with hidden gems deep in the list. Hopefully it was just an off-night, we'll find our when we are again in Boston!Special Features:
- Superb Dining ExperienceVinnieDined on 8/20/2014Our anniversary dinner was made extra special by the staff at L'Espalier. We were greeted by several members of the staff who all wished us a happy anniversary. The summer degustation menu was absolutely perfect, ranging from a lobster appetizer to a perfectly cooked lamb chop. The cheese course before dessert was described in detail and was as diverse and delicious as any I've had. A special chocolate cake was added to our dessert course as a special treat for our celebration. All and all, L'Espalier provides a dining experience that should not be missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delights for special occasionsPevoDined on 8/16/2014Certainly L'Espalier is a restaurant for special occasions, showing off, and gastronomical excesses. The presentation of each meal is exquisite and the dishes are complex and artful (think foams a la Modernist Cuisine). The wine pairings with the Seasonal Degustation selection are wonderfully matched. Our dinner for two was a marathon two-and-a-half hours long ending with a "Grand Fromage" cheese slate, a dessert amuse-bouche, dessert, and a bonus slice of chocolate cake with a candle (compliments of the house to celebrate our anniversary). Numerous amuse-bouche accompany each dish, before and after. Wait staff are extremely attentive, however cold and servile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef's TableRobin25VIPDined on 8/15/2014We splurged, not just on the full chef's tasting menu, but also on the chef's table in the kitchen. Outrageously expensive, but a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Every bite of food was amazing, as it would have been had we been in the dining room. But by being in the kitchen, we also got to be behind the scenes to see how it all comes together. It was a very casual environment that we thoroughly enjoyed. Really nice people there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In a word...fabulous.Bizzy57Dined on 8/15/2014L'espalier was perfect. Every dish delicious and exciting. Service was perfect. So knowledgeable and totally unpretentious. A great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretentious-Pricy-UnderwhelmingRPark7Dined on 8/15/2014Not at all like the old "classic" L'Espalier on Charles St. ! OVERALL: Modern and cavernous, but still quiet. The service team pretentious and more self-interested than customer-focused. I would far prefer the foodie-oriented, caring approach typical of fine restaurants in San Francisco or Napa. The food itself was good to excellent, but some misses (a rather raw and uninspired lamb dish, for example). The pricing was very high. To save this restaurant, I would consider 1) Serious staff reviews with focused retraining/replacement (perhaps with a field trip to finer restaurants on the West Coast???) 2) Some way to achieve higher volume -- consider pricing, incentives, advertising, etc.Special Features: