774 Boylston St
Boston, MA 02199Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.lespalier.com/
- Phone: 617-262-3023x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30am - 2:30pm, Saturday & Sunday 12pm - 1:30pm; Tea: Saturday & Sunday 1:30pm-3:00pm;
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 5:30pm-9:30pm, Friday & Saturday 5:30pm-10:30pm;
The Salon is available during our regular hours of operation for lunch and dinner service.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Frank McClelland
- Dress Code: Jacket Preferred
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, High Tea, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Au Soleil Catering brings the same dedication to excellence in cuisine and service that our guests at Sel de la Terre and L’Espalier have grown to know and love. From the rustic simplicity of Sel de la Terre’s cuisine to the lavish opulence of L’Espalier’s modern New England-French cuisine, Au Soleil presents a variety of options to suit every style of event. Call Au Soleil at 617-535-6040 or visit www.ausoleilcatering.com for more information.
- Special Events: ~Wine Mondays: 4 courses with wine pairings, centered around a changing theme. $85 per person, every Monday at 7pm!
Check our website for more information on upcoming special events and themed dinners.
A word from L'Espalier
L'Espalier can be found at its new home on Boylston Street, adjacent to the Mandarin Oriental Hotel. L'Espalier is a culinary exploration, featuring sophisticated and modern New England-French cuisine, with an emphasis on artisanal and New England ingredients.Continued
**Please note we are not able to accept reservations for the Chef's Table, Wine Monday, or Cheese Tuesday on OpenTable.com.
**Please note we are not able to accept reservations for the Chef's Table, Wine Monday, or Cheese Tuesday on OpenTable.com.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
L'Espalier - Best Restaurants in Back Bay ›
L'Espalier reviews from OpenTable diners
133 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (109)fit for foodies (88)romantic (88)notable wine list (66)great for lunch (21)good for groups (11)neighborhood gem (10)scenic view (9)great for brunch (6)kid-friendly (3)hot spot (1)great for outdoor dining (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- A truly wonderful placeAcolyteDined on 8/23/2014Utterly dependable, never boring, exquisite in so many ways.Special Features:
- Not up to expectationsInStepOrOutDined on 8/23/2014The food was good (not great), the service and ambience were excellent, but the overall experience did not seem at par with the expense. I have had some wonderful meals at L'Espalier in the past, but not this time.
- WiltonFanVIPDined on 8/22/2014We have visited L'Espalier each time we have been in town over the last five years and I am very sad to say this was the first time when it was a little off. Very sad to say but it just seemed a little off its highest of standards in the kitchen. Service and wines are absolutely to visit for, with hidden gems deep in the list. Hopefully it was just an off-night, we'll find our when we are again in Boston!Special Features:
- Superb Dining ExperienceVinnieDined on 8/20/2014Our anniversary dinner was made extra special by the staff at L'Espalier. We were greeted by several members of the staff who all wished us a happy anniversary. The summer degustation menu was absolutely perfect, ranging from a lobster appetizer to a perfectly cooked lamb chop. The cheese course before dessert was described in detail and was as diverse and delicious as any I've had. A special chocolate cake was added to our dessert course as a special treat for our celebration. All and all, L'Espalier provides a dining experience that should not be missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delights for special occasionsPevoDined on 8/16/2014Certainly L'Espalier is a restaurant for special occasions, showing off, and gastronomical excesses. The presentation of each meal is exquisite and the dishes are complex and artful (think foams a la Modernist Cuisine). The wine pairings with the Seasonal Degustation selection are wonderfully matched. Our dinner for two was a marathon two-and-a-half hours long ending with a "Grand Fromage" cheese slate, a dessert amuse-bouche, dessert, and a bonus slice of chocolate cake with a candle (compliments of the house to celebrate our anniversary). Numerous amuse-bouche accompany each dish, before and after. Wait staff are extremely attentive, however cold and servile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef's TableRobin25VIPDined on 8/15/2014We splurged, not just on the full chef's tasting menu, but also on the chef's table in the kitchen. Outrageously expensive, but a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Every bite of food was amazing, as it would have been had we been in the dining room. But by being in the kitchen, we also got to be behind the scenes to see how it all comes together. It was a very casual environment that we thoroughly enjoyed. Really nice people there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In a word...fabulous.Bizzy57Dined on 8/15/2014L'espalier was perfect. Every dish delicious and exciting. Service was perfect. So knowledgeable and totally unpretentious. A great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretentious-Pricy-UnderwhelmingRPark7Dined on 8/15/2014Not at all like the old "classic" L'Espalier on Charles St. ! OVERALL: Modern and cavernous, but still quiet. The service team pretentious and more self-interested than customer-focused. I would far prefer the foodie-oriented, caring approach typical of fine restaurants in San Francisco or Napa. The food itself was good to excellent, but some misses (a rather raw and uninspired lamb dish, for example). The pricing was very high. To save this restaurant, I would consider 1) Serious staff reviews with focused retraining/replacement (perhaps with a field trip to finer restaurants on the West Coast???) 2) Some way to achieve higher volume -- consider pricing, incentives, advertising, etc.Special Features:
- TOP NOTCH!BackBayDinerDined on 8/10/2014Wonderful staff, delicious food, amazing wine, the works! Even had a wonderful little "show" as we ordered the whole duck and was given a presentation on plating the duck right in front of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverratedHappyFoodieDined on 8/9/2014The food was fine, the service was phenomenal, but overall, it was a big let downSpecial Features:
- Perfect, as alwaysFSAMCDined on 8/9/2014I have a previous review of this place from last year's visit. Just click on my nickname. Ditto! Our favorite place for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ending to the summer!MalinDined on 8/8/2014We had an amazing time celebrating the end of 7 extraordinary weeks at summer school in Cambridge.Special Features:
- Outstanding!PaulDined on 7/26/2014Went here for an anniversary and it was amazing! Very romantic atmosphere and the service is fantastic. I didn't feel out of place at all and the food was out of this world. Honestly one of (if not the best) dining experiences of my life.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- From Back Bay Townhouse to ModernFromjdtDined on 7/25/2014It took a few visits for me to get over the shock of the change in the ambience from Victorian townhouse to ultra-modern, but the food seems to be even better now than it used to be. The L'Espalier farm may account for that. The meals feature highly imaginative dishes prepared with wonderful, fresh ingredients and prepared with such artistry that it almost hurts to destroy them by eating them. When I had lunch there on Friday, a little boy was celebrating a birthday at a table nearby and seemed to be enjoying himself as much as my friend (who really loved his ribeye steak) and I (with an amazing lobster risotto). Highly recommended! -jdtSpecial Features:
- All & More!!!JosephDined on 7/15/2014An almost thwarted evening due to the flight delay of my visiting guest turned into a brilliant evening of solo dining with the fine service and expert menu and wine suggestions of Kevin & Christopher and the shared reminiscences with Charles of the Cote d'Azur. Some of the finest dining rooms in the world fail to embrace the trepidation of a single diner but L'Espalier orbited high above them all!!! The brightest French planet in all of Boston!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb, Superb, Superb!!!!!!!!mustdinehereDined on 7/15/2014Could not have asked for a more perfect way to celebrate my friend's birthday. Everything was absolutely superb. The food, the service the ambiance. My friend was in awe. We shall definitely return for another lunch even without a special occasion to celebrate. Congratulations on the level of excellence you have attained.Special Features:
- Excellent restaurant.Kalix64Dined on 7/12/2014Went there for celebrating birthday. We had their smaller digestion menue with wine pairing. Impeccable service. Excellent food. Worth one star in guide Michelin. But of course it comes with a price....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Wonderful Night!EatWellFeelGoodDined on 7/10/2014I was in Boston for the first time and looking for a great place to meet a friend that I haven't seen in 20 years. So I did a little bit of search and sure enough L'Espalier name would show up every time I tried a search engine to find a nice restaurant in Boston. Naturally, I made a reservation and no need to say that I wasn't disappointed. The service was stellar and the atmosphere was just perfect for a romantic reunion. The staff made our special night even better by their respectful attendance and excellent services. I would recommend this place to whoever is looking for an outstanding place to dine, if they can afford a pricey menu! It was worth every single penny though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Front Row Seattimetoeat1VIPDined on 7/9/2014We had our second dinner at the kitchen table. What a treat! Service is excellent, wine parings memorable and the chance to watch and talk to the kitchen team lead by Mr. Delisle a great experience - like watching a fine ballet. The salad of lettuces with melon and wild rose was a stand out as was the butter poached halibut. The cheese pairing by Mr. Risoli was exceptional as usual and Mr. Bacheller's deserts were a delight.Special Features:
- Superb Dining ExperiencemirabiledictuDined on 7/5/2014L'Espalier is unassailably one of the best restaurants in the States. Superbly and creatively prepared food!! Exceptional service. Extensive and imaginative wine list. Extremely knowledgeable and accommodating sommelier!Special Features:
- FabulousbellafaDined on 7/4/2014Just a fabulous, elegant, chic restaurant. Sheer perfection!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/1/2014If you're up for a leisurely meal where special little treats keep coming all night long, L'Espalier it at the top of the list. While an expensive evening ($325 with tip for 2, which include 2 cocktails and 2 glasses of wine), you can't beat the food and the fabulous service. Ask for a table by the window for a nice view out onto Boylston Stree.Special Features:
- Service & Food to MatchPickyFoodyDined on 6/28/2014Top notch service and tastes to match. We had a fantastic time from the moment we walked in and had a nice cocktail completely thru the meal to the complimentary dessert. I also, to my pleasant surprise, found L'espalier did not take itself too serious and was not overly pretentious. Not to mention that at this level of service and food the prices are reasonable.Special Features:
- Fantastic food & wineBandC2014Dined on 6/26/2014We were looked after by very polite, courteous and knowledgeable staff. Food was outstanding. Would recommend for special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstandingsatfoodieDined on 6/21/2014The food and service is outstanding. Enjoyed every part of the tasting menu. Vegetarian options as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good expensive meal: few caloriesmotorguyDined on 6/21/2014This is a place to go to for special occasions. They have a relatively limited menu, but it changes with the season, and we always go for the multi-course tasting menu. They also seem to have a lock on some extraordinary wines that appear to come from vinyards with three rows of grapes, and Espalier gets all of them. They serve little tiny portions that are always extraordinarily good and perfectly matched by the wines. Louis makes us feel quite welcome, even if we only visit twice a year. And the bill, which is always substantial, does not seem to be too much for the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IncomparableCaigon1Dined on 6/20/2014You will not find a more elegant setting, diverse and exquisite menu, perfectly paired wine selections and perfect and attentive service than that offered by L'Espalier. A culinary journey with no unpleasant turns, a broad spectrum of delights, without excess. We celebrated our wedding anniversary elegantly, privately and perfectly. The evening was well worth the price, and was an event we look forward to repeating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as special as hopedSwitzerdaneVIPDined on 6/18/2014L'Espalier has a long and fabled reputation as one of the finest restaurants in town. I was disappointed: not that the food wasn't good (it was) or that the service was lacking (it was superb) -- rather, at this price ($150/person), I expected a truly memorable meal. By the next morning, my husband and I turned to each other and asked, "what do you remember as outstanding?": nothing in particular.Special Features:
- Excellent!WinesnobDined on 6/16/2014My husband and I were quite impressed with the entire dining experience at L'Espalier! The food was incredible - every course was perfectly prepared, and the service was impeccable. Loved the ambience of the small but plush surroundings. Will dine there again my next trip to Boston.Special Features:
- The food was disappointing.DollytexasDined on 6/14/2014Service slow. Wine unremarkable. The food was disappointing.
- Chef's tableTravelingFoodieVIPDined on 6/13/2014I flew my wife and I from Houston just to experience the chef's table at L'Espalier for our 20th anniversary. What a treat! As a CIA grad and frequent executive diner, I can say the experience is equaled by few restaurants in the country. One of the gems of Boston.Special Features:
- UnicornkDined on 6/13/2014The service was outstanding. The food was very good although there seemed a tendency to favor the sweet in all the courses. The cheeses were delicious, but served with sweetish bread. All in all an enjoyable experience but not as outstanding as the price had suggested.
- Wonderful service, anemic foodanitalbDined on 6/13/2014We have been to L'Espalier now four times. One visit was superb, another good, and the last two very disappointing. The service was outstanding and attentive. The Parker House rolls were divine. Now for the not so great. Our salads were positively tasteless, with melon that had no flavor, and a dressing that was barely perceptible. The lobster dish was good, but not memorable. And our desserts were absolutely bland. I am always happy to pay top dollar for a memorable meal, but this experience was simply not worth the money. I do not want to dine at a restaurant where I can prepare better food at home.Special Features:
- Never DisappointedLovefoodVIPDined on 5/30/2014We have dined at l'Espalier a number of times and it is consistently excellent!Special Features:
- ExpensiveReviewqueenDined on 5/25/2014My food was great but my boyfriends main course was not so good very bland and way over pricedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rare gem!SapphirenecklaceDined on 5/25/2014What a lovely tea my husband and I had! While sharing a bottle of Prosecco, we sampled teas and had delicious sandwiches with chicken, cucumbers, salmon/dill, and crab. Followed by the tastiest samplings of desserts... scones w/fresh jam and honey, bittersweet chocolate bite, and chocolate cake for our birthdays! All in all, it was wonderful from the moment we entered and were whisked upstairs in the elevator. We were greeted by Cynthia who explained teas during our lunch and our server, Depu, who has been with L'Espalier or many years, was attentive and sweet. L'Espalier is a destination in itself when visiting Boston. Don't miss out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply lovelyCrowetacDined on 5/23/2014The meal was inspired. Everything was delectable, colorful and beyond delicious. Wait staff were superb. Cannot wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/20/2014I always love to go to Lespalier. the food is wonderful and they treat you special every time.
- Consummate dining experienceCaptainBostonDined on 5/15/2014L'Espalier is extraordinary. I have had the vegetarian tasting menu there twice, about two years apart. Each different component (there were about ten counting the palate-cleansing mini-courses) was memorable, unique, and extremely delicious. The service is incredible, attentive but unobtrusive. The restaurant is wonderfully quiet and subtly lit. It's just perfect and well worth the expense.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/11/2014Went for mothers day. Food was excellent service was great.Special Features: