774 Boylston St
Boston, MA 02199Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.lespalier.com/
- Phone: (617) 262-3023
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30am - 2:30pm, Saturday & Sunday 12pm - 1:30pm; Tea: Saturday & Sunday 1:30pm-3:00pm;
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 5:30pm-9:30pm, Friday & Saturday 5:30pm-10:30pm;
The Salon is available during our regular hours of operation for lunch and dinner service.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Frank McClelland
- Dress Code: Jacket Preferred
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, High Tea, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Au Soleil Catering brings the same dedication to excellence in cuisine and service that our guests at Sel de la Terre and L’Espalier have grown to know and love. From the rustic simplicity of Sel de la Terre’s cuisine to the lavish opulence of L’Espalier’s modern New England-French cuisine, Au Soleil presents a variety of options to suit every style of event. Call Au Soleil at 617-535-6040 or visit www.ausoleilcatering.com for more information.
- Special Events: ~Wine Mondays: 4 courses with wine pairings, centered around a changing theme. $85 per person, every Monday at 7pm!
Check our website for more information on upcoming special events and themed dinners.
A word from L'Espalier
L'Espalier can be found at its new home on Boylston Street, adjacent to the Mandarin Oriental Hotel. L'Espalier is a culinary exploration, featuring sophisticated and modern New England-French cuisine, with an emphasis on artisanal and New England ingredients.Continued
**Please note we are not able to accept reservations for the Chef's Table, Wine Monday, or Cheese Tuesday on OpenTable.com.
**Please note we are not able to accept reservations for the Chef's Table, Wine Monday, or Cheese Tuesday on OpenTable.com.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
L'Espalier - Best Restaurants in Back Bay ›
L'Espalier reviews from OpenTable diners
156 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (124)fit for foodies (116)romantic (115)notable wine list (85)neighborhood gem (20)scenic view (18)great for lunch (16)good for groups (16)hot spot (10)great for brunch (7)great for outdoor dining (3)late-night find (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- AmazingWannaBeFoodieDined on 9/27/2014I am so glad I celebrated my 30th birthday here. The food, service, and ambiance was amazing. I am not a fan of wine but or waiter recommended a wine I liked. Everyone was so sweet. I love how secret the entrance is. We had the Autumn prix fixe and it was worth it. The rib eye was delicious, but the salmon was lackluster. The birthday surprise was lovely at the end. Definitely worth it for an appropriate special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best dinner we have had in BostonOwletteVIPDined on 9/23/2014Don't expect to have a conversation with your dinner partner :-) A waiter or service person will constantly be doing something at your table :-) Very upscale and wonderful meal (we took the "autumn degustation")Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fancy restaurant !fina14Dined on 9/22/2014This restaurant is really nice, good atmosphere really fancy and and comfy. It is really quiet, with just very low volume of jazz music. Food is super great, except the bread, as I come from France sorry I am a bit picky there ! Except for that everything was great, the service is not intruding and we were really happy of the staff. I really recommend this place in Boston to anyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Presentation!StavieVIPDined on 9/20/2014The place is very relaxing, the presentation of the dishes outstanding, but the food and dessert average. We won't go back again...Special Features:
- Foodie52390Dined on 9/19/2014The tasting menu with paired wines was heaven. It's worth the extra since so much thought and work gets put into such a delicious feast!Special Features:
- Muito top!rafaelrvazVIPDined on 9/15/2014alto nivel o restaurante, fiz o degustação de US$115 dollares, alto nivel os pratos e o ambiente muito agradavel tbSpecial Features:
- Fine, but slightly disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/15/2014Fantastic service. Awesome wine pairings. Tasting menu fine, but with a one exceptional course, it was not the "WOW" that I expected, especially at the price. The plates and the plating were amazing... but I think the food got a little lukewarm while they were doing it!Special Features:
- Impeccable service-outstanding foodXavierVIPDined on 9/9/2014As always L'Espalier delivered a great experience for my guests- this was their first time there and they loved it: hope I made them new devotees to one of my favorite restaurants in Boston. Service is always flawless and in a very friendly and accueillant. Enjoy every minute of your experience- you will be happy for every dollar you spend here. Bon appétit et à très bientôt!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good, as alwaysAnonymousVIPDined on 9/8/2014Service & food were very good. I would say that this time, the food wasn't quite as spectacular (ex.: herbs on my bluefin tuna app were burned, bitter), but it may just be that I'm spoiled having eaten at some stellar restaurants lately, including Menton. There was a near-miss with a food allergy that could've proven dangerous, but they were apologetic. My one frustration was a small pour on a $28 glass of Pomerol. My friend and I noted that it was far less substantial than hers. When you're paying a premium for Bourdeux, it's very annoying, particularly when you have two glasses poured side-to-side and one is two fingerbreadths lower. In happier news, Louis did not disappoint with a selection of cheese. We always like when he's there.Special Features:
- L'Espalier is still tops in BostonOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/6/2014The reception, service and food at L'Espalier all lived up to its high expectations. The menus are easy to navigate, with the choice of the sampler being wonderful. The range of flavors and foods are amazing in one dinner!Special Features:
- Wonderfull experianceFoodie1Dined on 8/31/2014Absolutely top of its class restaurant with wonderful food and romantic ambience. Service was very slow in the beginning but picked up after we brought it to the head waiters attention. Deffinitely return when back in Boston.Special Features:
- Boston labor day weekendtori858VIPDined on 8/30/2014Delicious food. A real 'experience' from start to finish - food is beautifully presented, and blended to perfection. Fantastic service - staff were incredibly attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing All AroundKrconrad87Dined on 8/30/2014The chef had such amazing, creative, delicious dishes. The service was first class. This restaurant is perfect for foodies and special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worthy of a Michelin StarCallalillyVIPDined on 8/28/2014The level of service, gourmet preparation of every dish, and overall dining experience make L'Espalier worthy of a Michelin Star as far as we're concerned. Every detail was superb, starting with inventive and delicious amuse bouches and incredible fresh warm rolls and warm house-made pretzels (having them warm makes such a difference)! The sommelier, Bob, practically became a family member--and he gave us a great wine recommendation. The waitstaff were all pleasant and professional. The ambience is lovely--quiet, soft lighting, comfortable seating in a corner. The salads and entrees were superb: esthetically beautiful; subtle flavor combinations. It was a truly memorable evening in every way!Special Features:
- Amazing Restaurant!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/25/2014Best restaurant in Boston! It's beautiful and romantic. The food is absolutely amazing!!Special Features:
- wine dinner1serialdinerVIPDined on 8/25/2014I have sworn off wine dinners numerous times...I always think it's a bit of a hog feed, same dishes all out at the same time, hard to maintain all at the right temp., etc. Well, the staff did a good job, and everything was fine, but not spectacular like I would expect from L'espalier. I enjoyed the wines, all Pinot's, but my companion wasn't as pleased by them. I promise I will try really hard not to get sucked into a wine dinner again for fairness to the chef.Special Features:
- A truly wonderful placeAcolyteDined on 8/23/2014Utterly dependable, never boring, exquisite in so many ways.Special Features:
- Not up to expectationsInStepOrOutDined on 8/23/2014The food was good (not great), the service and ambience were excellent, but the overall experience did not seem at par with the expense. I have had some wonderful meals at L'Espalier in the past, but not this time.
- WiltonFanVIPDined on 8/22/2014We have visited L'Espalier each time we have been in town over the last five years and I am very sad to say this was the first time when it was a little off. Very sad to say but it just seemed a little off its highest of standards in the kitchen. Service and wines are absolutely to visit for, with hidden gems deep in the list. Hopefully it was just an off-night, we'll find our when we are again in Boston!Special Features:
- Superb Dining ExperienceVinnieDined on 8/20/2014Our anniversary dinner was made extra special by the staff at L'Espalier. We were greeted by several members of the staff who all wished us a happy anniversary. The summer degustation menu was absolutely perfect, ranging from a lobster appetizer to a perfectly cooked lamb chop. The cheese course before dessert was described in detail and was as diverse and delicious as any I've had. A special chocolate cake was added to our dessert course as a special treat for our celebration. All and all, L'Espalier provides a dining experience that should not be missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delights for special occasionsPevoDined on 8/16/2014Certainly L'Espalier is a restaurant for special occasions, showing off, and gastronomical excesses. The presentation of each meal is exquisite and the dishes are complex and artful (think foams a la Modernist Cuisine). The wine pairings with the Seasonal Degustation selection are wonderfully matched. Our dinner for two was a marathon two-and-a-half hours long ending with a "Grand Fromage" cheese slate, a dessert amuse-bouche, dessert, and a bonus slice of chocolate cake with a candle (compliments of the house to celebrate our anniversary). Numerous amuse-bouche accompany each dish, before and after. Wait staff are extremely attentive, however cold and servile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef's TableRobin25VIPDined on 8/15/2014We splurged, not just on the full chef's tasting menu, but also on the chef's table in the kitchen. Outrageously expensive, but a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Every bite of food was amazing, as it would have been had we been in the dining room. But by being in the kitchen, we also got to be behind the scenes to see how it all comes together. It was a very casual environment that we thoroughly enjoyed. Really nice people there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In a word...fabulous.Bizzy57Dined on 8/15/2014L'espalier was perfect. Every dish delicious and exciting. Service was perfect. So knowledgeable and totally unpretentious. A great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretentious-Pricy-UnderwhelmingRPark7Dined on 8/15/2014Not at all like the old "classic" L'Espalier on Charles St. ! OVERALL: Modern and cavernous, but still quiet. The service team pretentious and more self-interested than customer-focused. I would far prefer the foodie-oriented, caring approach typical of fine restaurants in San Francisco or Napa. The food itself was good to excellent, but some misses (a rather raw and uninspired lamb dish, for example). The pricing was very high. To save this restaurant, I would consider 1) Serious staff reviews with focused retraining/replacement (perhaps with a field trip to finer restaurants on the West Coast???) 2) Some way to achieve higher volume -- consider pricing, incentives, advertising, etc.Special Features:
- Bitter DisappointmentJohnandAinaDined on 8/13/2014As one of the best-rated restaurants in Boston I was expecting a food quality and service caliber equivalent to that of Menton. It fell poorly short. We ordered the chef's tasting and they said they could modify for me as a vegetarian. At Menton, this meant completely different dishes, both creative and delicious. At L'espalier, this meant bringing out the same dishes sans meat. For example, if my wife got a salad with crab on it and a large crab on the side, then I would simply get a salad with absolutely no substitute! So I had the experience of feeling left out and getting less than what I paid for. Finally, after several dishes like this I asked for different ones and they obliged. The worst part was that the food was shockingly bland.Special Features:
- TOP NOTCH!BackBayDinerDined on 8/10/2014Wonderful staff, delicious food, amazing wine, the works! Even had a wonderful little "show" as we ordered the whole duck and was given a presentation on plating the duck right in front of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverratedHappyFoodieDined on 8/9/2014The food was fine, the service was phenomenal, but overall, it was a big let downSpecial Features:
- Perfect, as alwaysFSAMCDined on 8/9/2014I have a previous review of this place from last year's visit. Just click on my nickname. Ditto! Our favorite place for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ending to the summer!MalinDined on 8/8/2014We had an amazing time celebrating the end of 7 extraordinary weeks at summer school in Cambridge.Special Features:
- The following 1761 reviews are from the L'Espalier reviews archive.
- good for special occasionytzzDined on 7/28/2014the staff are friendly, courteous and very knowledgeable about what they serve. they have awesome wine list and provided accurate advises on what would fit best for the foods we ordered.Special Features:
- Outstanding!PaulDined on 7/26/2014Went here for an anniversary and it was amazing! Very romantic atmosphere and the service is fantastic. I didn't feel out of place at all and the food was out of this world. Honestly one of (if not the best) dining experiences of my life.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- From Back Bay Townhouse to ModernFromjdtDined on 7/25/2014It took a few visits for me to get over the shock of the change in the ambience from Victorian townhouse to ultra-modern, but the food seems to be even better now than it used to be. The L'Espalier farm may account for that. The meals feature highly imaginative dishes prepared with wonderful, fresh ingredients and prepared with such artistry that it almost hurts to destroy them by eating them. When I had lunch there on Friday, a little boy was celebrating a birthday at a table nearby and seemed to be enjoying himself as much as my friend (who really loved his ribeye steak) and I (with an amazing lobster risotto). Highly recommended! -jdtSpecial Features:
- All & More!!!JosephDined on 7/15/2014An almost thwarted evening due to the flight delay of my visiting guest turned into a brilliant evening of solo dining with the fine service and expert menu and wine suggestions of Kevin & Christopher and the shared reminiscences with Charles of the Cote d'Azur. Some of the finest dining rooms in the world fail to embrace the trepidation of a single diner but L'Espalier orbited high above them all!!! The brightest French planet in all of Boston!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb, Superb, Superb!!!!!!!!mustdinehereDined on 7/15/2014Could not have asked for a more perfect way to celebrate my friend's birthday. Everything was absolutely superb. The food, the service the ambiance. My friend was in awe. We shall definitely return for another lunch even without a special occasion to celebrate. Congratulations on the level of excellence you have attained.Special Features:
- Excellent restaurant.Kalix64Dined on 7/12/2014Went there for celebrating birthday. We had their smaller digestion menue with wine pairing. Impeccable service. Excellent food. Worth one star in guide Michelin. But of course it comes with a price....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Wonderful Night!EatWellFeelGoodDined on 7/10/2014I was in Boston for the first time and looking for a great place to meet a friend that I haven't seen in 20 years. So I did a little bit of search and sure enough L'Espalier name would show up every time I tried a search engine to find a nice restaurant in Boston. Naturally, I made a reservation and no need to say that I wasn't disappointed. The service was stellar and the atmosphere was just perfect for a romantic reunion. The staff made our special night even better by their respectful attendance and excellent services. I would recommend this place to whoever is looking for an outstanding place to dine, if they can afford a pricey menu! It was worth every single penny though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Front Row Seattimetoeat1VIPDined on 7/9/2014We had our second dinner at the kitchen table. What a treat! Service is excellent, wine parings memorable and the chance to watch and talk to the kitchen team lead by Mr. Delisle a great experience - like watching a fine ballet. The salad of lettuces with melon and wild rose was a stand out as was the butter poached halibut. The cheese pairing by Mr. Risoli was exceptional as usual and Mr. Bacheller's deserts were a delight.Special Features:
- Superb Dining ExperiencemirabiledictuDined on 7/5/2014L'Espalier is unassailably one of the best restaurants in the States. Superbly and creatively prepared food!! Exceptional service. Extensive and imaginative wine list. Extremely knowledgeable and accommodating sommelier!Special Features:
- FabulousbellafaDined on 7/4/2014Just a fabulous, elegant, chic restaurant. Sheer perfection!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/1/2014If you're up for a leisurely meal where special little treats keep coming all night long, L'Espalier it at the top of the list. While an expensive evening ($325 with tip for 2, which include 2 cocktails and 2 glasses of wine), you can't beat the food and the fabulous service. Ask for a table by the window for a nice view out onto Boylston Stree.Special Features: