Leslie's The Tavern at Rockingham
VT Rte. #5 Rockingham Road
Bellows Falls, VT 05101Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Leslie's The Tavern at Rockingham
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.lesliestavern.com/
- Phone: (802) 463-4929
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Thursday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm,
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: John Marston
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining rooms available to groups up to 75. All dining rooms available for private daytime events.
- Private Party Contact: Leslie Marston 802-463-4929x
A word from Leslie's The Tavern at Rockingham
So who and what are we? Husband and wife team;chef and pastry chef respectively in our 28TH year at Leslie's. Located in a 218 year old Vermont colonial farmhouse, we serve "local-world cuisine" that we like to think is both unique and delicious. No pretenses, just quality food and very friendly service. We do cooking classes ( five + course mini-meals) on Monday evenings..call us if interestedContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Leslie's The Tavern at Rockingham - Best Restaurants in Rockingham ›
Leslie's The Tavern at Rockingham reviews from OpenTable diners
27 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (18)special occasion (18)neighborhood gem (15)romantic (9)good for groups (4)scenic view (1)notable wine list (1)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)late-night find (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- We love Leslie's!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014The food here is exceptional - always fresh, very creative presentations, and a very friendly staff. Great place to go with friends!Special Features:
- Love Leslies!lovefinediningDined on 10/26/2014We have been twice in one week and each time brought someone new and they loved it! We have introduced 4 of our neighbors and they loved it too! Exceptional food and atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual Fine Dining at its Best!SeraphsgirlDined on 10/10/2014I came here during my anniversary trip to Vermont and so glad we chose Leslie's as our anniversary dinner spot! It was a welcoming, charming and intimate restaurant with knowledgeable and friendly staff. Leslie, owner and pastry chef, was also a delight to speak with as she checked in with each patron during their meal. If I lived in Vermont, I'm sure I'd be at Leslie's for all my special celebration dinners!Special Features:
- Another great mealJimRVIPDined on 10/8/2014Always fun to visit, we very much enjoy Leslie's. She's a great hostess and pastry chef and her husband is a superb chef. The food is always excellent and prepared fresh. Great place.Special Features:
- Nice & Unexpected FindNormDined on 10/6/2014With Leslie waiting her own tables, my meal was a treat. Steak was done rare; seasonal vegetables were good; quanity reasonable; price maybe a little high; but still a welcome find in that location. would go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014We went to Leslie's for our anniversary, and it was not the place for a special evening, in my opinion. The food was good, but the ambiance was lacking. Fall decorations leaned toward juvenile, the lighting was too bright, and the furnishings were nothing great. I sat on a hard bench, and one of the track lights was pointed right at me, so I felt I was under a spot light. Our waitress couldn't have been sweeter, but my husband got the wrong dinner--he ate it and liked it, happily. I was not very hungry and ordered a salad and soup, but the portions were small, so I added crab cakes. The salad was good, as was the leek and potato soup (which came in a cup, not a bowl, as expected), and the crab cakes were tasteless and luke-warm.Special Features:
- a real findrickVIPDined on 9/29/2014A very pleasant unpretentious restaurant with very well prepared food. The prices were reasonable and given the upscale nature of the food, very reasonab;e. We look forward to eating there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a gem!VerySatisfiedDinerDined on 9/26/2014Three of us went. We had all been there previously in years past, but none of recently. We were thrilled with Leslie's and all of us expect to return in the near future. I understand that they have been serving for 29 years and the reason is obvious. Delicious food and very good service, especially for a very busy early bird seating. Without question, well worth the drive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Started great, then disappointingWHTravellersVIPDined on 9/13/2014My wife and I ate here on a recent trip through VT and NH. Tried it because the reviews were very good and there was little else around the area. We started out with some extremely good, fresh made salads. Some of the best I have had anywhere. Then the entrees; well, my wife's entree was delivered and I just sat and waited. Mine came a few minutes later (2 people aren't a big group, not sure why this happened. My wife's lamb was extremely rare, while she ordered it medium rare. We did hear someone else commenting to their waitress that there lamb was very rare as well. My entree, a cod special, was so underdone (cold and raw in the middle), I had to send it back. When it came back it was a messy, soupy looking thing that I did not eat.
- Dinner at Leslie'sOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014The food was delicious. Our server was a pleasant, attentive person. I ordered an appetizer, main meal and dessert. I NEVER order dessert but at this lovely tavern, I had no choice. The food was so good, I didn't want to miss dessert! I would definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/30/2014As always, Leslie's is where I like to go for wonderful food in a gracious, Vermont setting. LOVE IT!Special Features:
- Nice placeFirsttimerDined on 8/15/2014Appetizers were fantastic, fish was wonderful and Leslie was lovely. I would recommend Leslie's for a special occasion as the pricing is not for a run of the mill dinner. They do have small plates before 6PM - which is nice. This is not a fast food restaurant so make a reservation, sit back and relax and enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fav leslie's never fails to deliverlatinprofVIPDined on 8/14/2014Wonderful farm to table food prepared in interesting different ways. no matter what is ordered, it is always cooked right and flavorful . Don't know much about bar scene wines, but my impression is that it is quite good. Never fail to go to Leslie's when in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodgood2cookDined on 8/13/2014Appreciated being able to reserve a table on line and receive reminders. The food is always good at this restaurant - fresh and innovative. Serving staff is always short handed so patience is essential. Has added early bird specials which are popular given the many retired people in the area. Background music terrific.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/11/2014Service and food were superb. An old time tavern from the 1700's still in operation brings ambiance to any dinner. Our selections for dinner were wonderful and the salad and veggies picked from the garden. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- PJ&SJ - 2nd Visit to Leslie'sPJnSJDined on 8/3/2014Returning from Champlain region, this 2nd visit was at 5PM - during the early bird speials. This revisit was as nice as the 1st time (which was a 9PM visit); service & food consistently world class. Being a daylight visit, we were able to take in the gardens & landscaping of the property; comfortable & welcoming on the outside as on the inside. Very busy that evening; Leslie was personally attentive to all guests, in addition to her being baker & pastry/dessert chef. If there is any place you want to dine when coming up or down I91, this is definitely the place. Easy access off Exit6. I don't visit Vermont often; but, when I do, I will definitely make Leslie's one of my stops.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PJ&SJ - 1st visit to Leslie'sPJnSJDined on 8/1/2014The lamb was done to perfection; the halibut special just melted in your mouth. We normally do not order seafood in restaurants more that 100 miles from the ocean; but the halibut special was promoted by the waitress in such manner as we just had to try it. Great decision. The service was superb and conversationally amiable. The Key Lime Flan for dessert was a deliciously pleasant variation on two themes. Leslie visits all tables and waits on many personally.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 181 reviews are from the Leslie's The Tavern at Rockingham reviews archive.
- fresh and deliciouseatlocalfoodDined on 7/12/2014We had a fabulous dinner at Leslie's, from salad to dessert, I don't usually eat bread but the flavored butter had me gobbling it up! We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantHappy2dineDined on 7/12/2014Our experience at Leslie's was delightful. The food was delicious, the staff helpful, professional, pleasant, and the ambiance relaxing. When the background music seemed to loud, our waitress turned it down so that conversation was easy. We have already made plans to go back.Special Features:
- Great - as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/5/2014We are never disappointed at Leslie's. We are greeted with enthusiasm and treated like royalty. John's menu changes often enough to keep things interesting but nearly always includes a few old favorites. It's our go-to place for special occasions. We made the 2 hour drive to celebrate our anniversary this time. Looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special dinnersKSWMACDined on 6/28/2014Over the years we always select Leslie's as our special place to share good times with our family. We are there every Christmas Eve, on birthdays, and when a few friends or family visit. We know it will be right for intimate/fun conversations, excellent food and wine and very good service. We think the sauces are awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Fabuloustablefor2or5Dined on 6/22/2014Leslie's is the restaurant that never fails to please. The food is delicious, well portioned, and is delivered with a fantastic presentation. Every dish that both my wife and I have tried has been spectacular. 4 of our 5 wedding anniversaries was shared with Leslie and we wish we could have the 1 out of five back. Leslie is a born hostess. she is always very friendly and makes you feel as welcome as a family member. This combination of exceptional food and consistently wonderful service makes Leslie's a first choice destination.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FairPandemoniaDined on 6/20/2014Food was acceptable, though not outstanding. Portions small. Price huge. Won't be returning.
- Top dining spot in areaout2seaDined on 6/18/2014The food was outstanding and delivered fresh and hot. The bread served with dinner was excellent, warm and served with freshly whipped butter. There were 6 of us dining and we all very much enjoyed everything we ordered. We had a chance to talk to the chef and you can tell he loves what he is doing and buys only top quality food.Special Features:
- Thwarted by mud season.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/30/2014I fairly certain that I would have enjoyed my dinner a whole lot more if you guys hadn't closed on that day for the start of mud season.
- Transient StopLocalwithFlairDined on 3/21/2014Right off of exit 6 on I-91. The food was cold & under cooked. Very loud atmosphere. The server was inappropriate. Bring your wallet. Not a good experience!
- Great nightSkipperDined on 3/15/2014We met friends for dinner and we all had the same response to the service the food and the atmosphere; we loved it! It is apparent that the heart and soul of the owners are in their work and food. Thank you and can't wait to warmer weather to try the outdoor patioSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food, Lovely Atmosphere,FledermausDined on 3/6/2014At 600 there were about twenty other patrons. (I think reservations are a must). As there was only one waitress, service was a bit slow at times but .our waitress was professional and friendly and the food was well-worth the slight wait. I started with the ver fresh lobster puff pastry, delicious. The other person in my party had the duck which was very good. I had the surf and turf. This was three very fresh shrimp with garlic and oil and fresh cherry tomatoes and two filets mignon, accompanied by a lightly grilled potato pancake. The beef was tender and cooked just right. For dessert we had the creme brûlée. We were forewarned it was made with maple. It did have a distinct maple flavor that complemented the creme brûlée.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taste Buds in Heaven!tori26Dined on 2/27/2014The flavors of the wild mushroom soup and the apple cider onion soup are amazing Followed by veggie potstickers Then flat breads with spinach and the other with fresh basil. Absolutely delicious, we love the flavors and the wait staff are so friendly.Special Features:
- Had a higher expectationTriplehornsDined on 2/22/2014The food was worth 10 stars, however the pace and acknowledgment from our waitress/hostess was not enough to give a great overall experience. They were just way understaffed for an award-winning resturaunt. I would return again in a not so busy season and I'll make sure I eat lunch next time.
- DisappointingChasbDined on 2/22/2014Based on what we read we were expecting an exceptional experience. The meal started fantastic with a great mushroom soup and quickly went downhill from there. We saw multiple other tables get seated, order get their meal, finish and pay. When ours finally arrived my wife's duck was very rubbery and my steak cool. Very disappointing end to a good start.Special Features:
- Terrific, as alwaysJimFromCTandVTDined on 2/15/2014We love Leslie's for special occasions, food is terrific and they treat you right, run by the friendly owners always on site. Welcoming and popular among both visitors and locals. To be savored.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so hidden gemDickDined on 2/14/2014Never fails to meet our expectations. We have dined at Leslie's many times and the experience is never less that fantastic. Both Leslie and her husband know how to excell in the dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 48 hr short ribs??r5lrVIPDined on 1/31/2014Very disappointed. Two of us ordered 48 hr short ribs expecting something tender and juicy. Instead we were served square slices of gray beef - not tender, not juicy, and mostly flavorless apart from the barest dribble of horseradish cream. Service, while pleasant, was mostly absent. Water glass sat empty for a long time before getting the waitress back for a refill ... and then she didn't bother to check on, ask or refill any of the others. And there were few tables to serve on a cold Saturday night. Definitely wouldn't go back.
- Can't recommend Leslie's enoughMagicFanDined on 1/24/2014The food is exceptional, the ambiance great and the owners make dining out a special experience for everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something to look forward toMamaguccDined on 1/24/2014We often travel up on Fridays fom CT to VT for a ski weekend. Leslie's is right off exit 6 on 91 and gives us something to look forward to after DeLong with the weekend traffic. Great food, nice people, quiet and an excellent way to begin to unwindSpecial Features:
- Wonderful ExperiencegreateatsDined on 1/18/2014Classic New England Inn type restaurant with fantastic food and a relaxing environment. Do not let the word "Tavern" make you think of burgers, beers, and fries...it is gourmet dining and worth every penny. Quiet enough to have a conversation with your friends without competing with the tables next to you. A very nice experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findGazaDined on 1/17/2014Leslie's is an incredibly beautiful Vermont inn-style Restaraunt with fantastic menu, bold flavors and incredible preparation. Friendly staff and rustic ambiance top it off. Definitely save room for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Leslie's Tavern Marvelous Visittori26Dined on 1/16/2014My first time to visit Leslie's. We took my Mom who had not been to visit for over 25 years. We enjoyed Apple cider onion soup and wild mushroom with Sherry and Thyme soup. Then we moved on to veggie pot stickers and veggie flat bread for appetizers, which turned in to our meal with 2nds on veggie pot stickers. We moved to dessert of chocolate lava cake with ice cream and whipped cream and Mom had the creme brulee. We were so amazed by the fresh flavors and still talk about it several weeks later. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always outstanding. We driveOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/11/2014Always outstanding. We drive 2 hours to get there and it is always a pleasure.Special Features: