Leslie's The Tavern at Rockingham
VT Rte. #5 Rockingham Road
Bellows Falls, VT 05101Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Leslie's The Tavern at Rockingham
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.lesliestavern.com/
- Phone: 8024634929x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Thursday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm,
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: John Marston
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining rooms available to groups up to 75. All dining rooms available for private daytime events.
- Private Party Contact: Leslie Marston 802-463-4929x
A word from Leslie's The Tavern at Rockingham
So who and what are we? Husband and wife team;chef and pastry chef respectively in our 28TH year at Leslie's. Located in a 218 year old Vermont colonial farmhouse, we serve "local-world cuisine" that we like to think is both unique and delicious. No pretenses, just quality food and very friendly service. We do cooking classes ( five + course mini-meals) on Monday evenings..call us if interestedContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Leslie's The Tavern at Rockingham - Best Restaurants in Rockingham ›
Leslie's The Tavern at Rockingham reviews from OpenTable diners
26 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (20)fit for foodies (18)neighborhood gem (14)romantic (13)good for groups (6)notable wine list (4)great for outdoor dining (4)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Dinner at Leslie'sOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014The food was delicious. Our server was a pleasant, attentive person. I ordered an appetizer, main meal and dessert. I NEVER order dessert but at this lovely tavern, I had no choice. The food was so good, I didn't want to miss dessert! I would definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/30/2014As always, Leslie's is where I like to go for wonderful food in a gracious, Vermont setting. LOVE IT!Special Features:
- Nice placeFirsttimerDined on 8/15/2014Appetizers were fantastic, fish was wonderful and Leslie was lovely. I would recommend Leslie's for a special occasion as the pricing is not for a run of the mill dinner. They do have small plates before 6PM - which is nice. This is not a fast food restaurant so make a reservation, sit back and relax and enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fav leslie's never fails to deliverlatinprofVIPDined on 8/14/2014Wonderful farm to table food prepared in interesting different ways. no matter what is ordered, it is always cooked right and flavorful . Don't know much about bar scene wines, but my impression is that it is quite good. Never fail to go to Leslie's when in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodgood2cookDined on 8/13/2014Appreciated being able to reserve a table on line and receive reminders. The food is always good at this restaurant - fresh and innovative. Serving staff is always short handed so patience is essential. Has added early bird specials which are popular given the many retired people in the area. Background music terrific.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/11/2014Service and food were superb. An old time tavern from the 1700's still in operation brings ambiance to any dinner. Our selections for dinner were wonderful and the salad and veggies picked from the garden. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- PJ&SJ - 2nd Visit to Leslie'sPJnSJDined on 8/3/2014Returning from Champlain region, this 2nd visit was at 5PM - during the early bird speials. This revisit was as nice as the 1st time (which was a 9PM visit); service & food consistently world class. Being a daylight visit, we were able to take in the gardens & landscaping of the property; comfortable & welcoming on the outside as on the inside. Very busy that evening; Leslie was personally attentive to all guests, in addition to her being baker & pastry/dessert chef. If there is any place you want to dine when coming up or down I91, this is definitely the place. Easy access off Exit6. I don't visit Vermont often; but, when I do, I will definitely make Leslie's one of my stops.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PJ&SJ - 1st visit to Leslie'sPJnSJDined on 8/1/2014The lamb was done to perfection; the halibut special just melted in your mouth. We normally do not order seafood in restaurants more that 100 miles from the ocean; but the halibut special was promoted by the waitress in such manner as we just had to try it. Great decision. The service was superb and conversationally amiable. The Key Lime Flan for dessert was a deliciously pleasant variation on two themes. Leslie visits all tables and waits on many personally.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fresh and deliciouseatlocalfoodDined on 7/12/2014We had a fabulous dinner at Leslie's, from salad to dessert, I don't usually eat bread but the flavored butter had me gobbling it up! We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantHappy2dineDined on 7/12/2014Our experience at Leslie's was delightful. The food was delicious, the staff helpful, professional, pleasant, and the ambiance relaxing. When the background music seemed to loud, our waitress turned it down so that conversation was easy. We have already made plans to go back.Special Features:
- Great - as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/5/2014We are never disappointed at Leslie's. We are greeted with enthusiasm and treated like royalty. John's menu changes often enough to keep things interesting but nearly always includes a few old favorites. It's our go-to place for special occasions. We made the 2 hour drive to celebrate our anniversary this time. Looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special dinnersKSWMACDined on 6/28/2014Over the years we always select Leslie's as our special place to share good times with our family. We are there every Christmas Eve, on birthdays, and when a few friends or family visit. We know it will be right for intimate/fun conversations, excellent food and wine and very good service. We think the sauces are awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Fabuloustablefor2or5Dined on 6/22/2014Leslie's is the restaurant that never fails to please. The food is delicious, well portioned, and is delivered with a fantastic presentation. Every dish that both my wife and I have tried has been spectacular. 4 of our 5 wedding anniversaries was shared with Leslie and we wish we could have the 1 out of five back. Leslie is a born hostess. she is always very friendly and makes you feel as welcome as a family member. This combination of exceptional food and consistently wonderful service makes Leslie's a first choice destination.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FairPandemoniaDined on 6/20/2014Food was acceptable, though not outstanding. Portions small. Price huge. Won't be returning.
- Top dining spot in areaout2seaDined on 6/18/2014The food was outstanding and delivered fresh and hot. The bread served with dinner was excellent, warm and served with freshly whipped butter. There were 6 of us dining and we all very much enjoyed everything we ordered. We had a chance to talk to the chef and you can tell he loves what he is doing and buys only top quality food.Special Features:
- The following 174 reviews are from the Leslie's The Tavern at Rockingham reviews archive.
- Thwarted by mud season.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/30/2014I fairly certain that I would have enjoyed my dinner a whole lot more if you guys hadn't closed on that day for the start of mud season.
- Transient StopLocalwithFlairDined on 3/21/2014Right off of exit 6 on I-91. The food was cold & under cooked. Very loud atmosphere. The server was inappropriate. Bring your wallet. Not a good experience!
- Great nightSkipperDined on 3/15/2014We met friends for dinner and we all had the same response to the service the food and the atmosphere; we loved it! It is apparent that the heart and soul of the owners are in their work and food. Thank you and can't wait to warmer weather to try the outdoor patioSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food, Lovely Atmosphere,FledermausDined on 3/6/2014At 600 there were about twenty other patrons. (I think reservations are a must). As there was only one waitress, service was a bit slow at times but .our waitress was professional and friendly and the food was well-worth the slight wait. I started with the ver fresh lobster puff pastry, delicious. The other person in my party had the duck which was very good. I had the surf and turf. This was three very fresh shrimp with garlic and oil and fresh cherry tomatoes and two filets mignon, accompanied by a lightly grilled potato pancake. The beef was tender and cooked just right. For dessert we had the creme brûlée. We were forewarned it was made with maple. It did have a distinct maple flavor that complemented the creme brûlée.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taste Buds in Heaven!tori26Dined on 2/27/2014The flavors of the wild mushroom soup and the apple cider onion soup are amazing Followed by veggie potstickers Then flat breads with spinach and the other with fresh basil. Absolutely delicious, we love the flavors and the wait staff are so friendly.Special Features:
- Had a higher expectationTriplehornsDined on 2/22/2014The food was worth 10 stars, however the pace and acknowledgment from our waitress/hostess was not enough to give a great overall experience. They were just way understaffed for an award-winning resturaunt. I would return again in a not so busy season and I'll make sure I eat lunch next time.
- DisappointingChasbDined on 2/22/2014Based on what we read we were expecting an exceptional experience. The meal started fantastic with a great mushroom soup and quickly went downhill from there. We saw multiple other tables get seated, order get their meal, finish and pay. When ours finally arrived my wife's duck was very rubbery and my steak cool. Very disappointing end to a good start.Special Features:
- Terrific, as alwaysJimFromCTandVTDined on 2/15/2014We love Leslie's for special occasions, food is terrific and they treat you right, run by the friendly owners always on site. Welcoming and popular among both visitors and locals. To be savored.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so hidden gemDickDined on 2/14/2014Never fails to meet our expectations. We have dined at Leslie's many times and the experience is never less that fantastic. Both Leslie and her husband know how to excell in the dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 48 hr short ribs??r5lrVIPDined on 1/31/2014Very disappointed. Two of us ordered 48 hr short ribs expecting something tender and juicy. Instead we were served square slices of gray beef - not tender, not juicy, and mostly flavorless apart from the barest dribble of horseradish cream. Service, while pleasant, was mostly absent. Water glass sat empty for a long time before getting the waitress back for a refill ... and then she didn't bother to check on, ask or refill any of the others. And there were few tables to serve on a cold Saturday night. Definitely wouldn't go back.
- Can't recommend Leslie's enoughMagicFanDined on 1/24/2014The food is exceptional, the ambiance great and the owners make dining out a special experience for everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something to look forward toMamaguccDined on 1/24/2014We often travel up on Fridays fom CT to VT for a ski weekend. Leslie's is right off exit 6 on 91 and gives us something to look forward to after DeLong with the weekend traffic. Great food, nice people, quiet and an excellent way to begin to unwindSpecial Features:
- Wonderful ExperiencegreateatsDined on 1/18/2014Classic New England Inn type restaurant with fantastic food and a relaxing environment. Do not let the word "Tavern" make you think of burgers, beers, and fries...it is gourmet dining and worth every penny. Quiet enough to have a conversation with your friends without competing with the tables next to you. A very nice experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findGazaDined on 1/17/2014Leslie's is an incredibly beautiful Vermont inn-style Restaraunt with fantastic menu, bold flavors and incredible preparation. Friendly staff and rustic ambiance top it off. Definitely save room for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Leslie's Tavern Marvelous Visittori26Dined on 1/16/2014My first time to visit Leslie's. We took my Mom who had not been to visit for over 25 years. We enjoyed Apple cider onion soup and wild mushroom with Sherry and Thyme soup. Then we moved on to veggie pot stickers and veggie flat bread for appetizers, which turned in to our meal with 2nds on veggie pot stickers. We moved to dessert of chocolate lava cake with ice cream and whipped cream and Mom had the creme brulee. We were so amazed by the fresh flavors and still talk about it several weeks later. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always outstanding. We driveOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/11/2014Always outstanding. We drive 2 hours to get there and it is always a pleasure.Special Features:
- Leslie's is a wonderful gemOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/8/2014Leslie's is a wonderful gem in the Vermont scene. Have enjoyed their food,ambiance, and personal care given to their guests on many occasions. On this occasion they contacted me and indicated that they would be unable to be open on that day. I did appreciate their concern that I might show up and find them closed. We will be there on several occasions before spring.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/31/2013Sent an email to the tavern, which went unanswered, which is why I went on Open Table to reserve. Did follow up with a phone call, explained the evening and what we were looking for (coming in from out of town, brought our adult children, celebrating our anniversary, etc). Food was just ok (one steak was good), temperature of plates was cool, service was inattentive and it was not what we had hoped it would be. We are foodies and overall found a lack of creativity in the menu, certainly on the part of the wait staff (I asked if I could have an appetizer as an entree and was declined) and we would not return. Lovely tavern, disappointing food, service, and experience.
- Great Food, Cozy Atmospherevtknitta60Dined on 12/31/2013We really enjoy the food at Leslie's The Tavern at Rockingham. Everything ( especially the beef) has a great flavor and cooked to your wishes. The atmosphere and lighting is cozy and very "Vermonty." Sometimes the service takes a bit longer than usual but the wait is well worth it. The servers are super friendly and very accommodating. We do recommend Leslie's to our friends but usually everyone already eats there and agrees!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Snowbound EveningChrisVIPDined on 12/29/2013On a recent ski weekend trip to Okemo with my two sons we decided to dine at Leslie's. We were staying nearby and the snow was falling hard to the restaurant was quieter than normal (3-4 other tables). The food was great and the cocktail and wine qwenched my thirst. And the ultimate acid test ... a definite "do over" when in the area again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just wonderful!Happy2eatDined on 12/8/2013Found Leslie's on a day trip into Vermont. The food was beyond amazing--I wish I lived closer to get the Thai Shrimp all the time. Their specials were also amazing. We split the pastry with ice cream for dessert--Still thinking about it. Our server was sensational-fun and knowledgeable. We had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were driving through theSharonDined on 11/2/2013We were driving through the area and decided to give Leslie's a try. Very nice country setting both inside and out. Our waitress was wonderful. Very friendly. The bread and herb butter absolutely delicious!! We had the soup which was also delicious. My date had the lamb chops which were cooked perfectly and very good. I had the ribeye steak which was also cooked perfectly but very fatty and unfortunately did not enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always SpecialOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/26/2013By far our favorite spot. We travel nearly 2 hours to get there and are never disappointed. Nice atmosphere, personal attention, and great food. John has a special touch with fish!Special Features:
- A place to return toRichardDined on 10/13/2013We loved our experience at Leslie's. Service was a bit slow, but the friendliness of our server and the quality of the food more than made up for it. Appetizers and main courses were fresh, tasty, creative, varied--some of the best food we've ever had. Located in an interesting old house, easy to get to on a main road. Definitely worth a return visit.Special Features:
- Amazing food!JimRVIPDined on 10/11/2013What a great spot! Leslie is a great host and amazing pastry chef, and John is a wonderful chef. The food is creative and delicious. Everything is cooked to order, so don't pick Leslie's if the most important thing about your meal is how short it lasts! But if you want great food at a moderate pace without spending too much, this is one of the best places in the area. We had a wonderful halibut special over a lemon pepper risotto, a delicious ragu over cheese tortellini and wonderful short ribs. The desert was also great. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.