L'Escargot - Carmel
Mission at 4th Avenue
Carmel-By-The-Sea, CA 93921Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
L'Escargot - Carmel
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.escargot-carmel.com/
- Phone: 8316201942x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily: 5:30pm - 9:30pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Basque, French
- Executive Chef: Kericos Loutas
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access
A word from L'Escargot - Carmel
Nestled in a residential neighborhood on Mission Street, three blocks north of Ocean Avenue lies a slice of “Old Carmel”. Originally founded in 1958 by Yvan Nopert and his family, Chef – Owner Kericos Loutas carries on the traditions of superb Country French Cuisine and personalized friendly service. A local favorite for casual fine dining in a romantic atmosphere, L’Escargot offers visitors an alternative to the “tourist experience”. The menu changes frequently, as do the specials. A three-course prix fixed Bistro Menu is offered nightly.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
L'Escargot - Carmel - Best Restaurants in Carmel ›
L'Escargot - Carmel reviews from OpenTable diners
75 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (48)neighborhood gem (45)romantic (43)special occasion (39)notable wine list (26)good for groups (4)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/19/2014What a find! Great food and service! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Great find in Downtown CarmelOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/14/2014Small French restaurant. Very good selection of menu items to choose from and good wine list. Moderately expensive. Our waiter, Dino, was excellent-- very knowledgeable about menu items & wines plus very professional. Would definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved It!BunzDined on 10/11/2014We had reservations for our first night in Carmel and loved this restaurant so much that we canceled our reservations somewhere else and came here again. We had the onion/goat cheese tart and mussels for appetizers, duck and lamb for our entrees and the choc decadence and apple tart for desserts. Large portions and delicious. Our only complaint is that the restaurant is a little dark with small rooms.Special Features:
- Dinner in Fall 2014ShrekDined on 10/10/2014I enjoyed this restaurant so much last year that I returned this year and made dinner reservations for 6:30PM; however, I was disappointed that they ran out of creme brûlée and earl grey teaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What took us so long?AtlfoodVIPDined on 9/24/2014When both service and thecquakitybif food home together it's magic. From the moment we arrived we knew we made a good call. Perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Home CookingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014Meat/Fish & Ingredients were good & fresh, Wines OK, Good Friendly Service. But it is not a Fine Cuisine to justify that level of pricing.
- Best in CarmelDean6294Dined on 9/17/2014Wonderful, creative food and excellent service. I would come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner in CarmelrbonfondDined on 9/10/2014We dined at l'Escargot for our anniversary dinner and we were not disappointed, great food and superb service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect placeSusieDined on 9/7/2014We enjoyed a delicious meal with impeccable service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Affordable French Cuisine in CarmelTravelreviewerDined on 9/5/2014Great service, very nice ambience, outstanding prices for the Bistro limited dinner menu of 3 courses for a set price. Our entrees of Sand Dabs, Chicken Provence and Pork Chop in Cherry Wine Sauce were not as tasty as we expected, but the Goat Cheese Tart appetizer was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/4/2014We so enjoyed our anniversary dinner here. A very nice restaurant where they made us comfortable and took care of every need.Special Features:
- A little gem away from the crowdsSueazDined on 9/3/2014We booked this restaurant based on Open Table reviews, and we're glad we did! They had a very well-rounded menu and a very thoughtfully selected wine list. On Wednesdays all wines are half price, which is a great bonus;but the dinners are so good, it doesn't matter which day you dine. We both had the fresh Petrale sole, which was sooooooo good! Because we dined on a Wednesday, they had a great number of diners. However, our waiter was especially good at handling the diverse requests of the various tables, as well as deflecting the inevitable complaints of kitchen slowness from large groups that had made special food requests. We're from out of town but if we're ever in Carmel again, we'll definitely eat here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place, great service.MelovefoodDined on 8/30/2014Food, good. Wine, great. Service, excellent. Thank you to Dino for reminding us what fantastic service is all about. Kudos.Special Features:
- Menu is a delight2BeerTeddyDined on 8/29/2014The menu's escargot and frog legs ensure french authenticity (though we didn't have the mettle that evening). The pre fix menu had everything you'd need for a satisfying dinner. Sand dabs were perfectly crispy and the pork chop was marinated to perfection. Cozy carmel ambiance and the service was very good. Would go back again... to perhaps order the escargot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining - The way it was meant to beSkipDined on 8/21/2014I first dined at L'Escargot in 1971. It was a "neighborhood gem" then, sometimes overshadowed by places that were more advertised (Marquis, then Hog's Breath, etc.); but we "locals" knew where to go for that special touch in fine dining. Although we don't live in Carmel now, we visit when we can --- and we always include a dinner at L'Escargot. Yes, it's THAT good.Special Features:
- Terrific French FoodPebble71Dined on 8/20/2014Consistently excellent food and superior service. Fine wine list, fairly priced -- and even better on their half-price "Wine Wednesdays." Helpful, pleasant service -- attentive but not pressing. We rate this as one, if not the best, restaurants on the Central Coast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average at best...FlfoodieVIPDined on 8/19/2014Three choices of escargot, but mine were in the garlic sauce and overcooked. Hubby had the red wine sauce which did not compliment the snails. The best part of dinner was the capresse salad, fresh tomato and tasty mozzarella. My petrale sole was good in a caper butter sauce but I make this at home. Nothing special. The chocolate cake was dry and crumbled and not what you would expect from a flourless chocolate cake. For the price paid, I would not return.Special Features:
- Superb, superb, superbjustforthehalibutDined on 8/17/2014We just loved everything about this restaurant. The food was superb, the ambience was lovely and the service was so attentive. personal, and caring--and menu direction was spot-on. We booked L'Escargot during Concours week (and it was also my husband's birthday), but from the level of attention we received--not to mention the heavenly food that was perfect and piping hot--you would never know that it was one of the busiest weekends in Carmel/Monterey. If you are heading to this insanely beautiful part of California, do not miss L'Escargot. It's not trendy, it's SUBLIME.Special Features:
- New Favorite in CarmelmeetNeatDined on 8/16/2014L' Escargot is a quaint and charming little gem of a French restaurant that reminded us of our favorite little bistro in Paris. The food, service, and ambiance was perfect in every way. Our waiter was helpful, friendly, and informative about their wine and menu items. I shared their signature escargot appetizer with a friend, and it was even better that the several I had had in Paris last May. For my entree' I had duck fixed two ways, with a pan seared duck breast cooked pink, moist, and tender, and the leg and thigh confit, served with a savory, not overwhelming, orange sauce. Others in our party raved about their sand dabs, filet of sole, and rabbit. My husband and I shared the apple tart with vanilla bean ice cream. Superior dining!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amv38amv38Dined on 8/12/2014we were introduced to this restaurant earlier this year and have been back 3 times since- the menu is varied and should appeal to virtually any specific likes. we especially enjoyed the dover sole our first time there. the service is personal and timely. we shall return againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- truly wonderful experiencevisitorDined on 8/9/2014Lovely neighborhood site - easy parking. And simply the best service I have experienced in years from making the reservation to having our table ready to a waiter who truy enjoys what he does. The food was impeccably described and prepared. Delicious to the last bite. Such a hie selection of choices.Special Features:
- Fabulous French - Carmel by the SeaJohnnyHopDined on 8/8/2014It had been a couple of years since my wife and I last dined at L'Escargot - only because our stays in Carmel had been brief until this summer. It has been remodeled since we last were there, which is nice. But the food is still the same as we remembered it - awesome! I had duck ala orange. My wife had rabbit with penne pasta. Both were great. So was my sweetbreads appetizer and the country pate my wife had. With two very nice green salads in between. Nothing is over the top in preparation or presentation - it's just good country French food. I'm dying to try the cassoulet - gonna wait for a cold drizzly night though. The weather was too nice this last time! We will go back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/6/2014The staff was very attentive. We tried everything recommended by the server. It was my first time having frog legs and I enjoyed them! My husband had the rabbit pasta. It was to die for. And I had the duck. It was amazing. You definitely can't go wrong with whatever you choose to indulge in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Little spot.....WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/4/2014We had made reservations the same day we were lucky to get in as all the tables were full by 8pm, for good reason. We were staying in a little B&B close by and were walking back to the Inn when we passed the restaurant and the chef saw us looking at the restaurant he came up to us and starting inviting us in to see the place and was really genuinely welcoming. Everyone knew this guy it was like friends coming to dinner but the food was awesome.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/31/2014Awesome duck - a must try as you'll want to go back for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal in a long whileFoodieVIPDined on 7/27/2014Could not recommend this spot highly enough. Great service and sublime food. Not to be missed in a town of great restaurants.Special Features:
- Standard American Style FrenchValueDinerDined on 7/27/2014Menu has the usual French dishes, escargot, veal etc. Wine list is not distinguished either by local or California selections. The service was adequate. Probably not a restaurant we would go to a second time considering the price, menu selections and ambiance
- very poorDaveDined on 7/24/2014Ordinary, poorly cooked food at tourist prices. The rabbit pasta (with two shredded pieces of some meat) was served with a very different sauce than described in the menu. Service was slow and non attentive. Suggest you stay away.
- SuperbJohnDined on 7/20/2014My favorite spot in Carmel. Food is always marvelous as is the service. Always consistently great. JohnSpecial Features:
- EnchantingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/13/2014The wait captain was special, very attentive service and recommendations Need to lower corkage for localsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoy the ExperiencePhxFoodieDined on 7/13/2014A wonderful restaurant for any occasion; a business meeting or a romantic evening. Delicious entrées, fantastic wines, sinful desserts.Special Features:
- French on the BeachOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/5/2014Great find. Thanks to OpenTable, we found a seat at a time that worked and we were impressed with everything. The Escargot was terrific, as was the pate. I had the duck and my wife had the sand dabs. Both were delicious The waiter could not have been more enthusiastic. He even found a half bottle of a dessert wine that we love. A terrific evening in a charming town. We are plotting our return visit already.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good value, nice vibe, would returnBayAreaNativeVIPDined on 6/26/2014This was a first visit. Note that maps put this at an intersection; it's a little south on Mission in a cozy little building. Ambiance was nice although we were seated too close to the kitchen. Service was friendly, relaxed, but knowledgeable. Food was authentic French cuisine in a California setting with a decent wine list and not too much markup. Salads were fresh and nicely presented. Main course bouillabaisse was very creative with 7 different types of seafood. Sand dabs also very good. Dessert was good not great. Coffee was excellent. Overall a good value and we would return.Special Features:
- Always a favoriteScimanDined on 6/25/2014Once again my wife and I enjoyed a delicious, beautifully prepared and presented meal at L'Escargot. We have never been disappointed in the cuisine, ambience and service at L'Escargot; this occasion was not an exception. I had the Boulliabaisse, a veritable aquarium of delectable fish and shellfish, all fresh and "ocean-friendly." It looked beautiful and tasted even better. Meanwhile my wife enjoyed the rabbit prepared in a mustard chardonnay sauce and served over penne pasta. Her assessment: heavenly. All of this with a lovely Caraccioli Pinot on "Wino Wednesday". Perfect! Kudos to the chef and to the staff - especially Dino, who is the embodiment of hospitality, organization, efficiency and service. We look forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- Great food and ambianceYagouaraDined on 6/23/2014We loved it. Hadn't been to Carmel in ages and wanted a French food infusion. Great off the beaten track, small personal service restaurant. Little hard to find, but worth it.Special Features:
- The following 12 reviews are from the L'Escargot - Carmel reviews archive.
- Our new favorite in CarmelReddogDined on 6/22/2014We had our anniversary dinner here on a Sunday night during a weekend getaway. My wife loved it.Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/13/2014Excellent Food and Service. Highly Recommend. The waiter was very personable and took the dining experience to another level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was decentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/6/2014I know we would have had a better experience had it not been for the two big groups that were dining at the same time. Our waiter greeted us and took our order, and then passed us off to the bus boy who served us our food. We saw our waiter was busy attending to the big groups. The food came out cold, it seemed it would have been good if it was served fresh. The two big groups should have had a great experience, since all the attention and waiters were taken away from the rest of the diners and given to them. If we were to go back, I'm sure we would have a better time, but we won't.Special Features:
- Excellent Carmel dining spot.richDined on 5/28/2014Last week we enjoyed a great dinner. My wife and I both had the lamb shank and it was delicious and the portion was huge. The 1/2 price Wednesday wine was a bonus. Ambiance and service were outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the fifth time here!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/22/2014Excellent food, great service and a friendly atmosphere overall. Tables not too close but no feeling of being alone. There a was a large group in the back this last visit but not in any way disturbing to us as it was a good natured conversation. Wine list is good and reasonably priced with no attempt to sell up to pricier stuff. My cassoulet with duck and sausage was very good and very hot, just as I like it. I started with the pate plate which is good but perhaps not like I had in Paris! Wife had sand dabs and they were just as good as others report in their reviews. I give this five stars because it never fails to please and we go away always little surprised at how good it is.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.