Les Zygomates Wine Bar Bistro
129 South Street
Boston, MA 02111Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Les Zygomates Wine Bar Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.winebar129.com/
- Phone: 6175425108x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, French
- Executive Chef: Robert Fathman
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Live jazz Tuesday through Saturday nights in our Jazz Bar and Dining Room. No cover. See winebar.com for monthly schedule.
- Cross Street: Beach
- Public Transit: South Station is a block and a half away.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet Parking is available Tuesday through Friday starting at 5:30pm. Metered street parking is available daily (please refer to all signage) as are local garages (on Essex between South and Atlantic, on Beach at Lincoln St, and on South at Kneeland)
A word from Les Zygomates Wine Bar Bistro
Tucked away on quiet South Street, just steps from South Station and the financial district, Les Zygomates boasts a French bistro motif and menu, and extensive wine list for your dining pleasure. A full bar is also available, as is a bar menu for lighter bites in one of our two bar areas. Live jazz is featured Tuesday through Saturday nights for both bar and dinner guests.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Les Zygomates Wine Bar Bistro - Best Restaurants in Leather District ›
Les Zygomates Wine Bar Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
82 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (41)notable wine list (35)neighborhood gem (31)special occasion (29)romantic (25)great for lunch (20)good for groups (17)vibrant bar scene (12)hot spot (9)late-night find (7)scenic view (3)great for outdoor dining (3)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Live jazz and great foodFineDinerDined on 10/17/2014Had a wonderful meal while enjoying live jazz. Only issue was our waiter he seemed to be new, didn't know the menu and would disappear. We didn't care much since the food and ambience made up for it. Gnocchi escargot with lamb bacon is worth a visit, incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful French foodDeanJCDined on 10/17/2014A guaranteed good meal from a variety of French themed items. All diners had excellent dinners and wouldn't hesitate to return. Only surprise was the wine list which featured mostly California wines. Would have liked to see more French Bordeauxs at reasonable prices.Special Features:
- Great Jazz Poor FoodcagerVIPDined on 10/14/2014I was not impressed! The Tuna ordered Rare came out medium and tasted dry and was flavorless. One can do better in restaurant choices in the Boston area. The Jazz however was great and woul be a good place to stop for music and drinks.
- Great spot!KMP1234Dined on 10/9/2014I love going to places that offer live music but music that you can have a conversation over. The band was fanatastic but my husband and I were able to celebrate our anniversary with conversation as well. I had the warm farro salad and it greatly exceeded my expectations. Very happy with our choice :)Special Features:
- Great dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/9/2014I took a group to Les Zygomates for a business dinner. They seated us away from the live music as I had requested so that we could have an easy conversation. We started with some Oysters and they were delicious. We had 8 people, so there was a good selection of the entrees at the table. Everyone was happy with their meal. I would definitely reccomend this to friends and try to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceMattackDined on 10/9/2014Delivery of our salads to our table took about 40 mins.Special Features:
- Excellent ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2014We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Nick, our Server, was fabulous! The food was delicious and the Yoko Miwa Trio superb. We brought a dear friend from Kansas to experience this wonderful jewel. We will be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, unimpressive serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/20/2014The food was very good but the waitstaff weren't very accommodating; while not rude, they were unwilling to take any special requests and seemed disinterested when speaking to us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Last minute group mealKPMGVIPDined on 9/19/2014THANK YOU so much for accommodating our last minute group meal. We appreciated your kindness very much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JazzcollcharDined on 9/6/2014Loved being able to hear jazz while we ate! The jazz was wonderful! Enjoyed the food. Wait staff was very attentive.Special Features:
- Restaurant Week menuaamrDined on 8/28/2014I had escargot en croute, stuffed pork tenderloin and creme brulee. My date had onion soup, steak frites and pineapple upside down cake. we also got a glass of wine and a champagne cocktail. The escargot was delicious, but really, anything doused in garlic herb butter and covered with puff pastry would be. Actually everything was delicious, but I think dessert was my favorite. The creme brulee was soooo creamy and crunch and vanilla-y. The pineapple upside down cake was impossibly moist. Sooo good! The waitstaff was great. Food was nicely timed and service was not overbearing, but definitely there when you needed them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food; One or Two IssuesEasternReaderDined on 8/27/2014Les Zygomates' food is high end bistro fare, thoughtfully prepared and presented. One or two issues: despite that we were on time for our reservation, the Maitre D was less than friendly, and spoke with an edge or tone that was not welcoming; the tables for two are so small that two oversized dinner plates and a bottle of wine called for careful handling, lest we risk a spill.Special Features:
- Great food!a4bTDined on 8/26/2014Loved the food. Everything was cooked perfectly and was served quickly.Special Features:
- relaxing dinnerfoodEnthusiastDined on 8/22/2014I came here for a birthday dinner. The place was great for a group of 8 people. Everyone enjoyed the food and the live jazz band. The staff was very helpful. They even brought a vase for my flowers.Special Features:
- Great LunchJrogersDined on 8/21/2014Great lunch and wine selection. Our waiter was very knowledgeable about wines. just greatSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/20/2014Great food, great atmosphere. There is a small jazz style band that plays on most weekdays - just a piano sometimes, but often accompanied by a bass player and singer. Rather than being overpowering noise, as I feared, the music was a great accompaniment to a dinner with friends. The service was a little slow, but I can't say that it happens with any regularity. For how great the food was, I'm surprised that there wasn't a line around the block waiting to get in. It might be the prices - a bit expensive, but not unusual for a french bistro.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, delicious foodDenaPhoDined on 8/19/2014How can you pass up $1 oysters! . They were fresh and delicious. The server was was attentive and accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOutgoingDined on 8/16/2014Mussles amazing and so is monkfish ! Made reservations online no hassle , the music was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & great musicJenjenDined on 8/16/2014Les Zygomates is a special place. I've been going there for over 10 years, and the quality never fails to impress me. The menu is innovative and delicious, and the music is fantastic. I always have fantastic wine when I am there - it really does feel like a French bistro experience!Special Features:
- Good ambianceSydneyVIPDined on 8/14/2014The ambiance and music was good. Unfortunately my swordfish entree was disappointing. The fish was dry and the tomato sauce was unappetizing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchtimeKPMGVIPDined on 8/14/2014Very convenient for lunch. Looking forward for stopping by for a drink while listening to some jazz soon....I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food & Service are still importantAndoverJDVIPDined on 8/13/2014The music and atmosphere are great - the food is just OK. The steaks, which need to be a signature dish, are flavorless - I believe not the best cut or meat. Apps were good.
- Great restaurant for any occasionGWGradDined on 8/7/2014I came here with family for my birthday lunch and ordered the pan-seared sole (special menu of the day) - the sauce was delicious and the sole dissolved smoothly in my mouth. The lunch prices are also much more affordable. The atmosphere, service, and decor were all great - perfect for any occasion with any kind of company!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun & deliciousgernDined on 7/16/2014Just had a fantastic evening at Les Zygomates. Accommodated a change to our reservation, they read and finessed our special seating request. Service was attentive, but not fussy. Food was smart, pretty, and delicious. The Bastille Day menu was a great introduction to four interesting and tasty wines -- we are not oenophiles and appreciated the guidance. The scallops were perfect, the swordfish was a hair overdone (though the ratatouille with it was great -- piquant and complicated), and the pork tenderloin was spot on. Would definitely go back for a special meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful French cuisineJackDined on 7/14/2014Excelleent French food, service and presentation. Always weel prpeapared and expertly served.Special Features:
- OutstandingLorenaDined on 7/10/2014It was a great night with my family. Overall service was excellent, good food and excellent music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Repeat business.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/2/2014I was introducing a friend to Les Zygomates for the first time on a quiet evening. He's a meat eater, minimally into carbohydrate dishes. I'm vegan. We were excellently treated by the waitstaff: welcomed, greeted, informed of menu changes, etc. I did have to send one dish back to the kitchen to remove dairy. As always, however, front and back of the house were exceptionally accommodating and gracious.Special Features:
- Very disappointed.EyenofoodDined on 7/1/2014The food was very salty, even the rather well cooked spinach was salty. The over-priced lobster bisque had a couple of chunks of obviously previously frozen lobster. Even les frites were limp. Too bad. Apparently used to be a great French wine bar.
- JFF13Dined on 6/27/2014The food was, as always, delicious! Service was fine!Special Features:
- Friends lunchEAKAZANVIPDined on 6/27/2014Enjoyed a leisurely lunch with old friends...able to enjoy the excellent food while equally enjoying the ability to talk with eachother without competing with other diners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- World Cup room with a view.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/26/2014I was in with the afternoon crowd for the USA / Belgium World Cup match on 1 July. Les Zygomates is always excellent for those stopping in for something at the bar (a glass of wine, a pint, or a basket of fries), cause of its excellent bar staff. It's also particularly a good spot if something big like a game is on. Appropriate noise levels. Very recommended.Special Features:
- The following 206 reviews are from the Les Zygomates Wine Bar Bistro reviews archive.
- Business lunchUIABizDined on 6/25/2014Hosted some prospects, food was excellent, service was prompt. Enjoyed the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a solid lunch choice in Bostonchuckmac07VIPDined on 6/24/2014very good food, attentive service by servers who 'get' that it's lunch time and many people have schedules and a varied menu make this a good lunch alternative in the Financial District/Seaport areaSpecial Features:
- Fabulous food, good musicRockridgeDined on 6/20/2014Terrific consistent food. We dine here because of jazz music on weekends - which is very good. Great wine list.Special Features:
- A favoriteBlinkyDined on 6/18/2014`Food is great. Authentic French Bistro. Wines to die ffor. Convenient to public transportation.Special Features:
- Consistently exceptional lunchMsBrillatSavarinDined on 6/16/2014This place is close to my office so I have been several times, though I hadn't been in a while. It an get crowded & noisy at lunch, but in the sea of standard sandwich/burger/salad fare that dominates downtown lunch offerings, Les Zyg offers creative and well-prepared alternatives. Only minus on my recent visit was the lack of a crepe special, which was always my go-to in the past. Had a salmon special on a bed of white beans and spinach which was just right. Salads are excellent and the Croque Monsieur emerges appropriately decadent. Ample but not ridiculous portions, service is very good. This is a consistently solid bet if you have time or occasion for a sit-down lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eat EarlyJimmyVIPDined on 6/11/2014Food was very good and service was excellent. Ambience is spartan. Needs some sound-proofing materials because as the restaurant filled up the noise level increased as sound reverberating around the bare walls and ceiling making conversation difficult. Therefore recommend eating early to be ahead of the crowds and conduct any important conversation early in the meal.Special Features:
- Good wine barmerrymurdaDined on 6/10/2014Great place for nice wine after work! I enjoy getting wine and oysters from the raw bar. They also have great fries.Special Features:
- Hum......BackinBostonAgainDined on 6/7/2014This past weekend was my first time back in over a decade. I had been in the South End and then in Hong Kong. Now I am back in the city and live close by. I wanted to see how the restaurant had fared over all this time. The decor is the same (good, I liked it) and the food was excellent. My husband and I had asked another couple so we were very glad about that. What was curious was when we were seated, we asked to be in the room with the live music and were told we couldn't since it was booked and we had not requested it. While we were having dessert, we were able to move to the other room after we asked the manager and amazingly, there were only 4 tables that were occupied.Special Features:
- Dining while watching the clock!!StadtspeiseDined on 6/6/2014While the food was good and the waiter was excellent, the hostess that sat us at our table asked us if we wouldn't mind leaving at a specific time because, "they were having a busy night"...so while everything was acceptable we had to keep watching the clock, which took most of the enjoyment out of our evening. Oh, and BTW, when we left, there were still a lot of empty tables. I don't appreciate being told when to leave. And this was a celebratory dinner. I will not be returning.Special Features: