Les Halles Park Avenue
411 Park Avenue South
New York, NY 10016Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Les Halles Park Avenue
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.leshalles.net/
- Phone: 2126794111x
- Hours of Operation:
* Breakfast: 8 am - 11 am
* Lunch: 11 am - 4 pm
* Dinner: 4 pm - 12 midnight
Weekends & Holidays:
* Breakfast: 8 am - 12 noon
* Brunch: 12 noon - 4 pm
* Dinner: 4 pm - 12 midnight
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, French
- Executive Chef: Carlos Llaguno
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: On a limited basis and menu decisions are made on a case by case basis.
- Special Events: Please contact the restaurant for more details.
A word from Les Halles Park Avenue
Les Halles is the home base of Chef-at-large Anthony Bourdain, author of the best selling Kitchen Confidential (Bloomsbury, May 2000) host of the TV Show, No Reservations. Bourdain is also the co-author of the Brasserie Les Halles Cookbook (Bloomsbury, 2004) with proprietor Philippe Lajaunie.Continued
Bustling and lively, Brasserie Les Halles is a typical Parisian brasserie serving fresh and simple dishes of France’s everyday cuisine.
Bustling and lively, Brasserie Les Halles is a typical Parisian brasserie serving fresh and simple dishes of France’s everyday cuisine.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Les Halles Park Avenue reviews from OpenTable diners
360 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (143)neighborhood gem (115)notable wine list (98)special occasion (84)good for groups (84)great for lunch (76)romantic (73)great for outdoor dining (68)late-night find (55)great for brunch (51)vibrant bar scene (42)hot spot (40)kid-friendly (25)scenic view (6)Show More
- Feels like FranceOctDinerVIPDined on 9/21/2014We felt transported back to France. The food was excellent and the service attentive and professional. Get the frites - still world class. Nice wine list, too. This was a fine way to spend the last night of this visit to the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great but a little loud for usOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/20/2014Food was great. I had the Coq au Vin and my wife the "famous" steak frites. Both were very good as was the side of green beans I had. The service was attentive and knowledgeable and not afraid to offer an opinion. We also had the foie gras special appy (terrine) and the brie honey appy which were great. All in all flavourful, tasty. A couple of small negatives 1) Because its in the spirit of a French brasserie, the tables were a little small and proximity to other diners a little too close. 2) Noise started ok, but by 830-900 the din was noticeable. Again perhaps thats the expectation at a French brasserie but a tad too much for me 3) Anthony Bourdain..... why oh why have you not done Asian/SE Asian/S Asian food spot??? Come on man! :)Special Features:
- Just as I Expected (Which is Good)bimmlerDined on 9/20/2014Having read Bourdain and enjoyed his TV work, I've been eyeballing the menu for quite some time. While he no longer cooks here, the menu remains the same: solid bistro fare at not out of this world prices. Apps were great. I had the night's special (foie gras terrine). VERY good. My buddy had the escargot AND the roasted brie. (My initial opinion of this choice was not warranted.) Seriously: try the roasted brie. The tournados rossini my friend had was terrific. My boudin noir was much as I expected. Very, very good. Service was brisk but not too fast. A great spot for a before show meal. Even with two martinis each, it was hard to linger for over an hour and a few minutes. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Never disappointsLuvMtldiningDined on 9/19/2014Consistently great option. Prices are reasonable. Fries and onion soup simply can't be beat. When in town, this is always high on the list
- Great place but for inside noiseOwenVIPDined on 9/19/2014We love the authentic brasserie food, which is perfectly prepared, especially steak frites, onion soup, frisee w/ lardon, roast chicken. The "trick" is to be seated either outside or in the very small room to the left of the welcome stand as you walk in. Otherwise, you will not be able to hear yourself think, much less converse.Special Features:
- steves999Dined on 9/19/2014all the food was excellent from seafood to steaks service also excellent prices a little on the high side especially the wine which we paid 49 dollars for and is about a 12-15 dollar bottle all in all a pleasant experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice find in restaurant alley !FanofNYDined on 9/18/2014At first I wondered about the service as it took a bit to get someone to take our drink and app orders. But after that it was spot on. The escargot was cooked perfectly. I had the NY sirloin and my wife had the duck breast in a pomegranate glaze - amazing !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- i <3 les hallesAdoraDined on 9/16/2014Great food every time, consistent and perfectly cooked steaks. Good reasonably priced wines. Very nice staff :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Moment in ParisJackVIPDined on 9/14/2014Whenever we are in NYC, we try to have a meal at Les Halles. This time we had a table for two on the street, which was reminiscent of dining at a Paris bistro. It was romantic. The coq au vin was the best I've had since Paris. The mussels were also nicely prepared. We love coming here. The service is always good, and the atmosphere is busy NYC, which is a part of the fun.Special Features:
- Solid....OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/11/2014Great place for French style staples......not over the top, just good foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New York weekendOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014I am from Athens Georgia visiting for the weekend. Someone recommended las Halle's while in Athens. I so enjoyed it. My mother in law, aunt, and son were with me and we each had a different course. Everything was delicious! The service was so accommodating and prompt- greatly appreciated!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, tired decor.BuckleyDined on 9/11/2014When we arrived for our lunch reservation we walked up to the desk where we were met by a man who I assume was the maitre d'. There was no greeting, in fact I had to speak first. He was unfriendly, dismissive and borderline rude, in addition to that he was wearing an ill fitting suit. Shortly after meeting him a young lady came over to the desk to assist us. She was somewhat friendlier and more attentive. The waitstaff were knowledgeable and friendlier and our food was good, steak frites and poulet roti. The decor was tired, drab, dirty and the restaurant is very dark. The restrooms were drab and dirty. We decided to go elsewhere for dessert.
- Great food but not for birthdaysOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/9/2014We had a great time and great food but I mentioned in my reservation and multiple times at the table that we were celebrating my friend's birthday and they did not recognize it at all. Not even a candle in her dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ideal French BistroDennyVIPDined on 9/6/2014Les Halles features a great, classic French Bistro menu and first-rate, friendly, professional service from the hostess at the front desk (who went out of her way to get me a table in the section I wanted) to waiters to busboys. A great "everyday" restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOWStittsvegasDined on 9/6/2014Amazing start of the night ...YOU HAVE TO HAVE THE TRUFFLE FRIES!!!!Special Features:
- A nice experiencemtlCoupleDined on 9/4/2014This was out first visit to Les Halles. We visited because we liked the menu (steak, mussels, gluten free options) and the décor, and the prices were reasonable. The atmosphere was friendly, the service was pretty good and the food was good but not excellent. The highlights for us, were the steak (but not the mashed potatoes) and the appetizers. I had the mussels mariniere but found that the sauce was not very flavourful. Good wine list and cocktails. Overall, a 7 out of 10 for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shadow1Dined on 9/3/2014Les Halle's has a traditional French brasserie feel. The selection of food was what one would find in France. Steak and frites was very good. As was the French wine selection. The service was a bit slow, could have been the servers station became very full all at once. The noise level is very high. I would not recommend this restaurant for a group ( unless there is a private room ). However the atmosphere was vibrant and fun. I would go again to try another dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A big let downDmezaDined on 9/3/2014I work near Les Halles and have been wanting to have lunch for some time. I finally had the opportunity and the place fell short. It could have been an off day but the service and food was just ok. I'll try it again and see what I get.Special Features:
- PantagruelleDined on 9/2/2014A bit noisy if you want to have a serious conversation, but tables on the back are good for that. Steak & fries superb! just like in a Paris bistro (and I lived in Paris 9 years) Salads: fresh, inventive. Portions, almost a meal. Plenty of icy water. My guests loved the place, I'm sure they will return. Another one have been there a few times (he recommended it) and was happy to be recognized by the waiters and barman. He also loved the way his Negroni drink was prepared.Special Features:
- made our day!thebeav24Dined on 9/2/2014Went there for my g/f birthday. ....what a treat!!! Server and food was amazing but the highlight was that the manager got chef Carlos to sign a menu for her. He also came out and said happy birthday to her!.....great place with great food and people! !!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hostess not helpfultarrazoDined on 8/31/2014Over Open Table and in a follow-up call I asked if it would be possible to get booth seating for our group. The hostess was a bit curt and said "We'll see what we can do." I arrived to find my out-of-town guests seated at a table crammed next to the service door- and there was a perfectly lovely booth right next to us that was covered in napkins that were being folded by staff!Special Features:
- Time an Again - Aways greatOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/29/2014Always a treat. Table by the window was perfect. Menu has something for everyone. Food is presented well and cooked to perfection. Salmon was great, moist and tasty, as were scallops with a champagne sauce that was there but understated and definitely not smothering the perfection of the scallops, and coq au vin was melt in your mouth perfection. Sides were done well and service was attentive. From 3-7PM house wine is only $7 a glass but we had a Malbec and it was smooth and delightful. Can't go wrong in this a constant pleaser.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AverageNoraDined on 8/29/2014This restaurant was below my expectations. The waiters were very nice and the overall service was good. The food was just OK. The moules mariniere were cold and not very tender. I was quite disappointed since I expected better quality from a French bistro.Special Features:
- amazing foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014great food, meat and seafood are amazing, cooked perfectly. french fries and desert are awesome. hightly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No rush please!Martin0854Dined on 8/27/2014It was a pitty the entrees arrived while we didn't finished our starters. In this type of restaurants we prefer some time to enjoy the good food. No rush please in this kind of restaurant. Rush only in request.Special Features:
- AmazingBeckyDined on 8/25/2014Wonderful- we went for lunch. Delicious! We sat outside and enjoyed the mussels, wine, and steak. Escargot is a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Little DisappointedFood77VIPDined on 8/23/2014I expected more out of Les Halles considering Bourdain once worked here and recommended it. Server was just outright rude and dismissive. knew nothing about the menu and had nothing to recommend. The food was very bland and had nothing to it. Salad looked like it had been sitting out back for a few days. Steak was over done (asked for medium rare, I got medium +). Truffle fries were OK at best. At any rate, probably the worst meal I've ever had in NYC. Can't recommend this place.Special Features:
- Old Time FaforitetpsoinosVIPDined on 8/23/2014I have been dining at Les Halles with my family for almost 20 years now from when it was half the size it now is. It is consistently good without any changes in the menu or service. Love it!Special Features:
- houstontexasvisitorDined on 8/22/2014Best fries in the word.... and the french onion soup melts in your mouth. I highly recommend this resturant. The staff was great. First time there and it was well worth it. Even my 15 year nephew who is picky about everything had a ball.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, okay serviceShelleyDined on 8/21/2014The bus boys and support staff seemed to much more interested in their jobs than the principal waiters. A table beside us sat with their meal complete for 15 minutes before someone approached their table. While our server was relatively prompt, we felt more like a bother more than the reason that the server had his job.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food but poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014I had the fois gras, truffle fries, and tenderloin steak which was all really delicious. One of the best steaks i've had since coming back from Argentina. However, the downside with this place was the service staff was terrible. Every time we needed anything, we had to find the waiter and flag him down as he rarely came by to ask us how everything was going or to even refill our water that we were paying for. At the beginning of the night we asked him for separate checks (due to corporate meal restrictions) and he said he'll see what he can do. When we asked for the bill he gave it to us un-separated and told us we don't separate checks despite saying "he'll see what he can do". If the service was better i'd rate this place 5 stars.
- Tony Bourdain's old haunt...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014Les Halles did not fail to impress. The quality of the food was outstanding. They have really kept up the mission even in Tony's absence. We sampled starters, main courses (both sea and beef), dessert, and wine....everything was cooked to perfection. The pan seared scallops with champagne sauce was to die for. The only negative I can really say about this is that the waiter we had initially upon arrival was somewhat allouf. Having never eaten there before, we were unsure about the way things worked and he didn't help very much. He was young and probably new. HOWEVER, we got a new waiter that was very responsive and attentive and helped us navigate our way through the considerable choices of food and wine.Special Features:
- Great steak, otherwise unmemorableAnneVIPDined on 8/20/2014I've been to Les Halles several times, but was somewhat disappointed this outing. My dining partner and I both thought the green salad was underdressed, and she had to send back her glass of champagne because it was flat. (The replacement was completely fine.) Our steaks were perfect. The cream puff part of my profiteroles was tough, the chocolate sauce good. Our waitress was excellent. I'm not sure I'd recommend Les Halles to a friend.
- BirthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/19/2014I took my daughter here for her birthday. Staff were very attentive to our table and brought over special drinks and dessert in celebration. Excellent steak, done to perfection.Special Features:
- Love ambience, great foodNoriDined on 8/19/2014We dined at Les Halles in the Financial District, and enjoyed that very much, and decided to try the Park Avenue location. This restaurant is more open, with dark wood and vintage French accents. My boyfriend had a filet with bearnaise which was done perfectly. I ordered sea scallops on a bed of artichokes, also very good. Escargot appetizer was ordinary. Service was good, but visits to our table from our server became fewer, as the restaurant filled up. We would go back again to one of the Les Halles the next time we're in NYC.Special Features:
- Disappointing.... service and foodBigFanVIPDined on 8/18/2014Had not been there in a while.... feel that it has gone very downhill. Service was awful, mussels looked and tasted as if they had been cooked in dishwater, warm red wine (where do they store it?) Paté and Fries were good. Didn't stay for dessert, why bother?
- Lack luster waiterWineoclockDined on 8/18/2014Male waiter gave no greeting, walked up to the table and said what can I get you.. Gave no recommendations at all.. Busboy brought our food to the table (pretty quickly) but took back plates back that still had food on them! We didn't see our waiter again until he asked if we wanted dessert. For a table of 4 we picked the bananas flambé, the waiter left then came back and said it's not enough for 4 people and to get the rum raisin crepes..Feeling rushed into a decision we said ok..Only to regret our choice and wish we had the flambé (the crepes were equally as lack luster as the waiter).We were so excited to go to this restaurant while on a business trip to the city and the atmosphere and wine were great.. But the service was just terrible.Special Features:
- DisappointingILikeToEatWellDined on 8/17/2014To my surprise (after enjoying several good lunches at the Financial District location), this was not a very good experience. Brunch inside on a sunny pleasant day was dark and dreary. The ambience is tired and worn. Though the service was good, the food was only passable. My grilled salmon with asparagus and potatoes was far from light; the plate was drowned in over-rich sauce. This place is clearly coasting on its reputation and location. I will not be back.
- Fantastic meal.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/15/2014Booked a table for 4 at 8PM Friday night and arrived right at 8. The place was busy but they quickly seated us. To start my wife had the escargots and I had the seared foie gras. The escargots were good, the foie gras was incredible. For our main courses my wife had the hanger steak and I had the steak tartare, prepared table side. Both dishes were excellent. The waitress was very friendly and helpful in recommending a nice wine to go with our meal. Definitely recommend this restaurant and will definitely be back next time we're in New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second timeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/15/2014We were at your restaurant, on monday the 11... and we were so empressed that we decide to go back.on the 15... before coming back home in Montréal. The second experience was a nightmare... first. when we arrive, we have been told that the reservation confirmed could not be on the terrasse... no place.. we had to wait half an hour.... we did not want to go Inside.. the noise... was terrible. and then... the servece was... terrible: rush... ask if we want water.. we were not sitted.... we wait 15 minutes ....to get the menu...... and after.. just being served... the waiter ask how everything was... we got just the plate!!!!!!! We should had kept the memorie we had on our supper of the first time. We were very desapointed.....Special Features: