Les Deux Gamins
170, rue Prince-Arthur E
Montreal, QC H2X1B7Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: CAN$30 and under
Les Deux Gamins
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.les2gamins.com/
- Phone: 5142883389x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday 5:00 pm-closing,Tuesday Closed,Wednesday 5:00 pm-closing Thursday: 5:00 pm - closing, Friday 5:00 pm-closing - Saturday 5:00 pm-closing Sunday: 5:00 pm - closing
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, French
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Contact: Valerie 5145755070x
A word from Les Deux Gamins
Located in the heart of Montreal's Plateau neighborhood, Les Deux Gamins is the perfect place to unwind and enjoy scrumptious French fare in a casual and lively atmosphere. With its warm inviting décor, fashioned to replicate a Parisian Bistro, Les Deux Gamins is synonymous with the romance, nostalgia and guilty pleasures of Paris, while reflecting the easy every day approach that is classic French Bistro. The friendly and knowledgeable staff are the perfect accompaniment to the outstanding culinary skills which combine to offer it's customers with dishes that are "extremely satisfying, unpretentious, and also very affordable". At Les Deux Gamins, the menu changes according to the freshest selection of regional and seasonal ingredients. Les Deux Gamin's dishes are delicately influenced by Montreal's cultural diversity. Here, the tastes of modern Montreal meet the classic French dishes, all meticulously made from scratch using the finest ingredients.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Les Deux Gamins - Best Restaurants in Plateau Mont-Royal ›
Les Deux Gamins reviews from OpenTable diners
57 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (37)neighborhood gem (24)fit for foodies (21)romantic (21)good for groups (12)special occasion (8)late-night find (7)notable wine list (7)scenic view (6)kid-friendly (6)hot spot (4)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- WonderfulJouesRougesDined on 8/30/2014It was our first visit to Montreal and I read all good reviews. Believe me, they were all correct! Food was amazing! Staff was wonderful! The outdoor dining was lovely and came with free busking entertainment. The French onion soup was to die and the filet mignon exquisite! I couldn't recommend it more highly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice little street, good foodstssVIPDined on 8/19/2014cute area to see on vacation to montreal. very much enjoyed the french onion soup and salmon as well as per my date the duck shepherds pie. were very happy with this choice on our vacation :)Special Features:
- Very nice experiencegman000Dined on 8/16/2014The French Onion soup was very nice, with ample amounts of cheese and bread to soak up the delicious broth. Onions were bursting with flavour. The duck shepherd's pie was rich and nicely balanced with the mixed green salad. Duck confit was a little on the salty side, but delicious nonetheless. Would definitely come back again.Special Features:
- Lovely bistroLemaraDined on 8/4/2014We had just arrived in Montreal and headed right to Deux Gamins after dropping our bags at the hotel. We were greeted by a delightful French waiter who treated us with just the right combo of professionalism and friendliness. The food was delicious, our special requests taken seriously, the wine wonderful and the evening was altogether a great start to our Montreal adventure. Don't miss the Duck Shepherd's Pie. It is a marvelous twist on the old standard, and absolutely scrumptious.Special Features:
- Fantastic!AnatolyDined on 8/3/2014A must go resto! They made me and my friends absolutely happy. The atmosphere was very friendly, staff is totally great, cheerful, smiling and knowledgeable. Food is authentic and delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best place on Prince Arthur... butPiYumDined on 7/30/2014My filet mignon was overcooked... It was still super tasty but I like my steaks nice and red and they simply overcooked it. Aside from that, it was some of the best food in the area. You can't go wrong if you have $45 a person in you pocket.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly Special ExperienceALTRCLVIPDined on 7/27/2014Not knowing a ton about the area, my boyfriend and I selected this restaurant for his birthday celebration whilst in Canada. We had an amazing time. Honestly could not have been better. We shared the cheese/meats plate then the filet mignon over a bottle of the house wine. Truly great experience. Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/20/2014the food was very good. the seating (outdoor) quite tight but it was enjoyable.Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/5/2014Food was great, service classy but could have been better. They forgot our drink order and comped the dessert.Special Features:
- poor service and bad foodyashDined on 6/27/2014We ordered monkfish, which was extremely dry and difficult to swallow. The piece of bacon which came with the fish seemed like we were eating just salt. We also ordered duck confit, which had no taste or flavor and the skin was incredibly salty. The service was just as poor, drinks would take 15 min to appear, the bill even longer. Would not recommend to anyone
- Great food - but never most of itRiddleInBlueDined on 6/26/2014The food - or what I actually got to eat of it - was excellent. The problem was that my server seemed unable to remember half my order, and after multiple reminders, I still never received most of my meal. From what I gathered from the table next to mine, their server was just as bad - and the restaurant was not very crowded. Perhaps it was just an off night, but for the price of the appetizer that actually made it's way to my table, it isn't worth my giving it another go.Special Features:
- DinnerChloeDined on 6/26/2014Overall experience was great, although the duck that I ordered was a bit dry and the skin was not as crunchy as i liked.Special Features:
- Food could be bettergnlc1Dined on 6/25/2014Our appetizers were fine. There was a long wait for main courses. Two different duck dishes were dry and tough as was the fish in prosciutto. Our server was lovely but she was handicapped by the deficiencies of the kitchen.
- Fun, food good. Smoking patronsSheilaDined on 6/23/2014This was a fun last minute dining experience without any expectation we had an enjoyable very French style meal. We opted to sit just inside as a lovely night and some great music in street. Unfortunately two tables were smoking right in front of us ( outdoor dinning of restaurant) and the smoke blew straight back into restaurant and us. Made it very unpleasant, I do no think there should be smoking in restaurants even on terraces there was no way of escaping unless we moved to back of restaurantSpecial Features:
- Worthy neighborhood restaurantDinner4OneDined on 6/21/2014Overall, a very nice experience. It is a small, unpretentious neighborhood bistro. I had the flank steak with frites and salad. It was quite good, but there was no special preparation. I paired with a foulette of St Emilion bourdeax which was average but not overpriced. Ambience was excellent - a place to come for a romantic dinner or a dinner with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Un petit retour en FrancechahuguesDined on 6/21/2014Super service, super ambiance, le décor est typiquement français, la nourriture est copieuse, bien présentée, très très bon! L'ambiance et le décor sont typiquement français. A recommander sans limites!Special Features:
- awesome, must try!HWY99Dined on 6/20/2014this authentic french little gem is so comparable to those in France. For the two of us, we tried 4 appetizers and 2 mains. they are all good! we love it so much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cwolf81Dined on 6/20/2014Delightful open-air French restaurant located on a pedestrian-only street in the Plateau. Food, service and ambiance were a (very reasonably priced) pleasure. A warning to the one or two other American diners out there of something larger than "European" size, the tables and chairs are small. Cafe small. But I'd return regularly if I lived in Montreal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice small spotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/11/2014Though on short notices, Les Deux gamins impressed. the waiter recommended an exceptional wine, and the food was marvellous.Special Features:
- Fabulous find in Montreal !!RobertaDined on 6/8/2014We were so happy to find this great gem of a restaurant. We shared some meals, so got to enjoy the steak tartare, salmon tartare, and the best of all was the duck confit shepherd's pie -- shredded duck confit with a mix of shredded carrots over that, all topped by mashed potatoes. A bit of a "deconstructed" pie for the purists, but fantastic flavors !! The waitress was clearly very busy, but that never put a damper on her upbeat and friendly demeanor. We highly recommend the restaurant !!Special Features:
- Late night, quaint nightCephalerDined on 6/6/2014Good selection of affordable bottles & glasses of wine, nice entree variety, good flavors. Salmon and steak tartare dishes especially nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LolaDined on 5/30/2014No wait when we arrived, sat outside. They will be updating there menu next week. The special was a braised lamb. We got the goat cheese salad, French onion soup, steak tar tar and filet mignon. All cooked to perfection!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rustic French ExcellenceTravellingManDined on 5/11/2014We last ate here in 2008. It was a great find then, and still does not disappoint. It's an intimate but friendly spot, with great "rustic" French cuisine. I had a lamb shank that virtually fell from the bone, and a beef tartar that was a delight. My wife had the confit of duck cassoulet and it also was fantastic. The service was prompt and friendly, but we were never hurried. The intimate setting let us become friends with our table neighbours, and we all drank, chatted and laughed together. Truly a one of a kind gem. I would recommend to anyone.Special Features:
- The following 101 reviews are from the Les Deux Gamins reviews archive.
- pleasant surprise!!!luvtryingnewrestosDined on 5/11/2014Have heard of this restaurant but never knew anyone who had gone there. Decided to give it a shot!!!! Food, atmosphere & service were great. Not a very large menu but everything looked & tasted great. Would definitely return!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excelent FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014I liked this place a lot. The food was delicious and the restaurant its pretty cool.Special Features:
- Several visitsParttimeCanadienDined on 5/10/2014My wife and I have dined here 4 or 5 times and have never been dissapointed. We have brought family and friends who were equally impressed. Gamins rivals the best in Paris based on our travels to Paris. On May 10th I enjoyed a cassoulet that was as good or better than what I had in Paris. This place is a real funky place with wonderfully authentic food in a fun area of the city. The staff is comprised of several expatries francais who bring with them skills you can taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great attentive servicejobyekDined on 5/10/2014I would highly recommend Les Deux Gamins for large groups or a date. Great attentive service from the waiter and good food.Special Features:
- Great Night OutOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/3/2014We booked in at Les Deux Gamins, and had a great evening there. The waitstaff was wonderful, (we were lucky to have Benoit as our waiter) the food was great. great food doesn't always a great evening make: if the service and ambience aren't good, it makes a huge difference. At Les Deux gamins, all of the elements came together. We had the terrine to start, then the lamb shank and the cassoulet, all great. The waiter suggested a sweet wine to drink with our terrine and it was perfect. He made a good suggestion for a red to share with dinner as well. I'd love to return in the summer when all the doors are open! Go, you'll have a great time!Special Features:
- great food, warm servicerobasenDined on 5/2/2014We were a bit concerned coming in on a Friday night to a nearly empty restaurant. But, we needn't have worried - the food was excellent, with a comfortable French menu, an attractive, large space, and very warm, engaging waitress. Very pleased with our food, the lamb shank and the grilled salmon, ending with the excellent tarte tatin. There were three active tables during our visit, so we wouldn't go if seeking a more lively dining spot, but for excellent food, at more than reasonable prices, comfortable unrushed dining, then this is a great spotSpecial Features:
- Great place!psnewmanDined on 4/20/2014Wonderful, traditional French menu.Terrific and friendly service. The house wine is great and a bargain. The taste and presentation of the duck confit was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You get what you pay for.YougetwhatyoupayforDined on 4/18/2014The food in this restaurant is mediocre at best. The onion soup and the ducks are salty.
- Unexpected discovery !The450guyDined on 4/6/2014Je cherchais un resto a la derniere minute avant un show au cafe campus, un dimanche soir. Je tombe sur Les Deux Gamins. On arrive, on est seul. Le serveur/gérant, (Ben), nous accueil de façon très sympathique. On se sent chez soi, le bistro est charmant, la bière en fût excellente, et le menu.... Délicieux, bon choix de fromage, le confit de canard et le cassoulet = Divins, avec un vin Saint-Emilion génial !!!!!!!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciouswineNdineDined on 4/4/2014My girlfriend and I were at the restaurant for 3 hours. It was a very relaxed environment. Service was impressive considering there was only 1 waiter. Beef Bourguignon was delicious!! Chacuterie platter was a perfect start. Wasn't too impressed with dessert, but the presentation was lovely. Definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing this timeAnnaNgDined on 3/27/2014My bf and I had already been to this restaurant a few months ago and it was great !! Attentive service, normal wait time for dishes, great quality food. This time, assuming service and food quality was going to the same, we went with a few friends. However, this time around, the experience was overall quite disappointing. First, the dish that I was looking forward to the most, their Terrine de Foie Gras, was not on the menu that night. Then, once we FINALLY got our dishes, Boeuf Bourgignon though nicely seasoned was firm. My Duck Mac n' Cheese was so heavy on the cheese, it was quite unpleasant. Don't get me wrong, I love cheese, but this was such a turn off.
- Very nice ambienceBrianDined on 3/17/2014although the restroom and kitchen location are a bit too close to each otherSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I dined alone while on a businessWilDixDined on 3/17/2014I dined alone while on a business trip. I was very comfortable, service was excellent and I had a wonderful cassoulet - perfect for a chilly winter evening. I would definitely recommend to others!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/15/2014I went there with a special friend and we needed to have time together and talk. It was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tout était très bien! LesAuroreDined on 3/14/2014Tout était très bien! Les plats étaient savoureux et copieux. Mention spéciale pour le tartare qui nous a séduits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- just awesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/14/2014We just had a great time there. Good food and great serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovelyJordanBelfortDined on 3/8/2014Went as an anniversary celebration. Lovely atmosphere. Great portions. Very nice authentic atmosphere v chill. Excellent French onion soup. Wanted to try the desserts but we were way full.Special Features: