Les 400 Coups
400 Notre Dame Est
Montreal, QC H2Y 1C8Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
Les 400 Coups
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.les400coups.ca/
- Phone: (514) 985-0400
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Thursday & Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Guillaume Cantin
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Les 400 Coups
A cozy space, a refined and inspired cuisine as well as a stimulating and enriching experience.An appealing restaurant which proposes a seasonal cuisine with a focus on using local ingredients and promoting our local talent: that is the mandate that the 400 Coups were given. With chef Guillaume Cantin and his team in the kitchen, the sweet delicacies of pastry chef Brian Verstraten and a nice bottle or glass of wine proposed by sommelier William Saulnier, eating out has never been so pleasant.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Les 400 Coups - Best Restaurants in Montreal ›
Les 400 Coups reviews from OpenTable diners
109 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (81)special occasion (59)romantic (35)neighborhood gem (30)notable wine list (27)hot spot (20)great for lunch (12)good for groups (10)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (3)vibrant bar scene (3)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Cuisine recherchéealbatrosDined on 11/22/2014Cuisine excellente, plats recherchés et le dessert délicatement savoureux. Toute fois je trouve que les portions pourraient être plus généreuses d'au moins 10%. Il semble que maintenant ce soit la norme dans les restaurants haute gamme de privilégier les petites portions.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The midas touchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/14/2014I have eaten here 3 times, most recently taking my mom back for her birthday. The easiest way to describe the food is to say that you could order any combination of plates and it would all be amazing. I haven't had a dish there that wasn't delicious. Chose something at random and you won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent in every wayBmanVIPDined on 11/7/2014We were here for a late night post theatre dinner. So good! All our meals were excellent, and the service great. Our server knew the food and wine well, made great suggestions.
- DeliciousEmelieDined on 11/5/2014I don't drink alcool so they improvised an absolutely delicious non-alcoholic drink for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maybe I am just pickyLiliDined on 11/5/2014The reviews on this resto is pretty high so for "Montreal a table" I gave it a try. I understand that the price is lower so wasn't expecting very good food. I find the food taste is average. Service for our table was slow. But food presentation was good. Probably won't go back but maybe just because I am too picky!Special Features:
- Amazing experience!GiotemanDined on 11/4/2014What a lovely experience. Great food (simply incredible dessert) and beautiful ambience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/29/2014Even if I was expecting a good experience, overall it went over my expectationsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Les 400 Coups has a fabulous pastry chef; the dessert was not only delicious but also visually very appealing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014I like to taste all the elements of my dish separately and when I tasted the frothy sage-y milky mousse on my arctic char I was a bit taken aback. But when I put all the components together, Oh myyyyy... a symphony in my mouth. Absolutely delicious veal tartare, great main and a caramel dessert that you'd want to take a dip in. Fast and friendly service, overall a great experience that will bring me back for sure. I would have loved to take some of the food home... a jar of the sour cherry chutney or a bucket of the caramel cream for example.Special Features:
- Sadly a bit disappointingWeekendWarriorDined on 10/24/2014Service we received was okay at best. For the prices they charge; I honestly was expecting a bit more in the delivery. Hint: Read up on your French wines. Place was packed. Not sure if I missed something, but I simply didn't like the food. Good luck!
- Great nouveau French cuisine!Aspire2eatDined on 10/24/2014Delicate flavors perfectly married for a wonderful gastronomic experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingFitwall3Dined on 10/22/2014Went for a romantic dinner with my partner. Beautiful restaurant with very nice ambience. Food presentation is 10/10. Taste is 3/10.Special Features:
- restobuffDined on 10/18/2014Un resto branché...jeune brigade...ambiance moderne.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerRandyDined on 10/18/2014We were there to celebrate and we are always excited about food and we were not disappointed. The menu is diverse and the choices were hard to make. There was nothing on the menu we would not have chosen. The food was exquisite and presented in an exciting and unique way. Our server was knowledgeable and attentive, but not intrusive. The room is in an old building and there were interesting features surrounding us. We noticed that a wide array of people were there to dine, young and older. A great meal and experience all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/17/2014We loved smoked lobster appetizer and all the mains! Beautiful presentation and just the right service of friendly and efficiency!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High quality foodPierreVIPDined on 10/15/2014Small portions but the quality of the food and the presentation is of high value. The bread is required to fill an appetite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dining experienceValKDDined on 10/7/2014This restaurant had been recommended by a friend, a real foodie. It definitely lived up to the recomendation. While the choice is limited, every bite was delicious with some unexpected flavour combinations. I would definitely return and recommend it to others. The service was exceptional with good wine recommendations as well.Special Features:
- Great for vegans!Vegandiner1Dined on 10/4/2014Okay so there isn't one vegetarian - let alone vegan - thing on the menu. But the brilliant chefs, with just a bit of notice, are able to modify their dishes and create some of the most amazing vegan food I've ever had. They understand vegan fully - everything they served us was plant based and awesome. The dishes were complex, rich and quite literally perfect. White onion soup with elderberries, roasted tomato salad, rye risotto, Jerusalem artichoke mash, exotic mushrooms....so much fantastic food! Every effort was made to accommodate us - right down to the artisanal sunflower oil served with the bread. Not to mention their fantastic wine list...For a special occasion for vegan diners I would strongly recommend this terrific restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I expectedLovetoeatDined on 10/4/2014Upon reading all the reviews and hype on this restaurant we decided to dine here for our 24th. Anniversary. Unfortunately it was not as good as we expected. The best meal of the evening was the lobster appetizer. I had the mozzarella with blueberries, which lacked flavour but the cheese itself was good. For the main courses we had the Arctic char and the duck. The flavours of the duck I found did not match well and the duck was rather chewy. The Arctic char was ok but not worthy of 4 stars. Since the rest of the meal was not all that great we decided to skip desert. All in all, not the experience we were looking for.
- Beautiful dining experienceCes66Dined on 10/3/2014Wonderful food, exceptional service, nice atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014We were seated immediately, service was very friendly. Only complaint( barely a complaint) had to request our bill twice. Overall, amazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Osez et vous serez récompensés!SergeDined on 9/27/2014une belle audace dans les différents services que nous avons dégustés lors de cet excellent souper. Dispendieux comme les restaurants de çe niveau, mais nous avons vraiment eu une experience de découverte que nous avons appréciée. Qui eu dit qu'un sorbet au maïs accompagné d'un coulis aromatisé au cumin serait si délicieux.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great overallwprtVIPDined on 9/27/2014Great food (we had the tasting menu, the lamb sweet bread and rabbit main courses were fantastic), friendly servers (including towards our 6Y old), nice vibrant ambience....what's not to like.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Les 400 Coups Tasting Menuluv2dineDined on 9/27/2014I went here specifically for the 5-course tasting menu. Two of the courses were full on desserts - which was disappointing. I also did the wine pairing and only received 4 of 5 pairings. So, a bit disappointed as I often don't end regular meals with a dessert and then to get two was way too much. When I inquire why I am receiving two, the waiter replied 'Why not?!'. While I enjoyed the other courses, sweetbreads and rabbit, I would not recommend Les 400 Coups tasting menu.Special Features:
- Lives up to its reputationMM74Dined on 9/16/2014Very good food, solid service, good atmosphere, good wine list. Not many do it better in Montreal. Would go back in an instant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Les 400 CoupsFoodReviewsDined on 9/12/2014Our waiter was exceptional and the food was incredible - one of the better dining experiences in Montreal.Special Features:
- ExceptionalSuzyDined on 9/12/2014My husband and I went to the 400 Coups as a wedding present that was given to us and we used it for our 1st wedding anniversary. It was exceptional, from the moment we came in, we were greeted with a smile, what followed was delicious food, service with a smile. Great atmosphere. Thank you very much for making our one year wedding anniversary so special. Suzanne and Robert xoxoxSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TOUJOURS PARFAITJJ2mtlVIPDined on 9/12/2014Belle cuisine inventive et goûteuse à un coût raisonnable. Un service toujours très agréable. Un restaurant à recommanderSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HungryGirlDined on 9/6/2014A local friend recommended this restaurant for us out-of-towners. We had the five course tasting menu with the wine pairings. The food was outstanding. The service was excellent in particular the very knowledgeable Sommelier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow.npz1Dined on 9/5/2014My brother and his wife were visiting from the UK and we decided to try this place. Wow! Best meal I have ever had at a restaurant. The food was incredibly flavourful...pickled strawberries that exploded, deserts that just burst in your mouth. The cremeux de caramel was fantastic. Service was perfect...friendly and informative. Great location. Small, intimate restaurant that I would definitely recommend.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/4/2014This restaurant is a must - even in a city with many worthy restaurants. It takes food seriously and uses fresh, high quality ingredients that are expertly and artfully prepared. My wife's guinea hen was succulent, moist and flavorful throughout. My aged duck was, simply, superb. The wine list has interesting choices at fair prices. Service was attentive, friendly and efficient. Dinner was, overall, a fantastic experience. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- flyingfoodieVIPDined on 9/4/2014Based on our waiter's recommendation we shared the pate starter. It was very flavorful. My husband ordered a pork dish and I ordered the duck. Both were exquisite! We shared a strawberry dessert also delicious and flavorful.Special Features:
- StellarrlswjkDined on 8/30/2014From the smooth richness of the cold onion soup (with precision garnishment placement), to the complex layering of the suckling pig and yellow sturgeon entrees, this meal was supurb. Dessert was almost too lovely to eat, but unlike many pretty -- and oftentimes tasteless desserts -- every morsel was perfect and slightly different depending upon what you chose to scoop up with your spoon. Selections: caramel cream and dark chocolate. Re: wine. Excellent recommendation from our waiter. Cannot recall name. Service was thoughtful, engaging, and attentive. No hint of superiority, which can be concern for non-French speaking visitors. Our waiter thoughtfully hailed us a cab upon our departure. It was a perfect evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- underwhelmedTTRKVIPDined on 8/29/2014The space is beautiful, the service was great and the wine pairing was amazing, but the food was just missing something. We had the 5 course tasting menu with wine pairing and while we enjoyed the experience, the food was not the highlight (the wine was amazing though - great job by the sommelier). I think there are a lot of good things here, and we had a good time. But with 5 courses I would have expected at least one to be absolutely amazing, and we didn't get that.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/22/2014We love this restaurant after discovering it on last year's trip to Montreal. We have recommended it to others who have also raved about their experiences. We were in Montreal for my partners birthday last weekend and of course returned. The meal and wine were once again excellent. Our server was nice but seemed to forget about us a lot. Will not stop us from continuing to recommend this restaurant to others we know who visit Montreal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/19/2014Love this place. Food always amazes and service is well above average. Only small complaint is that the potion sizes are very small.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old Montreal findloveatingoutDined on 8/15/2014We loved everything about this restaurant. Think it is very upbeat bistro style with wonderful food. Actually thought there was a little too much food in my main course. I had the Arctic Char. Really enjoyed the pate de fois gras with the rhubarb. What a lovely combination. Don't usually have dessert but could not resist the chocolate creation. It was delicious! Our waiter was William and he was friendly, warm, knowledgeable and attentive. We also enjoyed the wines by the glass. A first rate place and we will return and recommend it to friends!Special Features:
- Great eveningFoodloversDined on 8/9/2014We had a terrific experience. The waiter described the food very well and had great recommendations. The onion soup (cold, and not your traditional onion soup) was really something special as a starter. The smoked lobster was also very good, maybe not in the same class of surprising taste. Both the arctic char and the sturgeon main meals were made to perfection, the sturgeon was the winner. The desserts were another highlight of the evening. Both the presentation and the taste made us want to try more. The service was excellent.Special Features:
- Un vraix festinJJ2mtlVIPDined on 8/8/2014Quel bonheur de voir une équipe tant en cuisine qu'en salle qui excelle dans la qualité des plats et du service. Les 400 coups offre une véritable expérience culinaire dans un cadre agréable et pour un prix comparable à celui d'un menu offert par des ''fast food''. Ce restaurant est sans doute un des meilleurs de Montréal.Special Features:
- BaldyVIPDined on 8/7/2014Exciting and imaginative food incredibly well prepared. A highlight of Montreal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.