Les 400 Coups
400 Notre Dame Est
Montreal, QC H2Y 1C8Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
Les 400 Coups
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.les400coups.ca/
- Phone: 5149850400x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Thursday & Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Guillaume Cantin
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Les 400 Coups
A cozy space, a refined and inspired cuisine as well as a stimulating and enriching experience.An appealing restaurant which proposes a seasonal cuisine with a focus on using local ingredients and promoting our local talent: that is the mandate that the 400 Coups were given. With chef Guillaume Cantin and his team in the kitchen, the sweet delicacies of pastry chef Brian Verstraten and a nice bottle or glass of wine proposed by sommelier William Saulnier, eating out has never been so pleasant.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Les 400 Coups - Best Restaurants in Montreal ›
Les 400 Coups reviews from OpenTable diners
125 reviews since April 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (94)special occasion (75)romantic (57)neighborhood gem (42)notable wine list (40)hot spot (24)great for lunch (20)late-night find (13)good for groups (11)scenic view (4)vibrant bar scene (4)great for brunch (4)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Old Montreal findOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/15/2014We loved everything about this restaurant. Think it is very upbeat bistro style with wonderful food. Actually thought there was a little too much food in my main course. I had the Arctic Char. Really enjoyed the pate de fois gras with the rhubarb. What a lovely combination. Don't usually have dessert but could not resist the chocolate creation. It was delicious! Our waiter was William and he was friendly, warm, knowledgeable and attentive. We also enjoyed the wines by the glass. A first rate place and we will return and recommend it to friends!Special Features:
- Great eveningFoodloversDined on 8/9/2014We had a terrific experience. The waiter described the food very well and had great recommendations. The onion soup (cold, and not your traditional onion soup) was really something special as a starter. The smoked lobster was also very good, maybe not in the same class of surprising taste. Both the arctic char and the sturgeon main meals were made to perfection, the sturgeon was the winner. The desserts were another highlight of the evening. Both the presentation and the taste made us want to try more. The service was excellent.Special Features:
- Un vraix festinJJ2mtlVIPDined on 8/8/2014Quel bonheur de voir une équipe tant en cuisine qu'en salle qui excelle dans la qualité des plats et du service. Les 400 coups offre une véritable expérience culinaire dans un cadre agréable et pour un prix comparable à celui d'un menu offert par des ''fast food''. Ce restaurant est sans doute un des meilleurs de Montréal.Special Features:
- BaldyVIPDined on 8/7/2014Exciting and imaginative food incredibly well prepared. A highlight of Montreal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trendy and CreativeDucklingVIPDined on 8/2/2014This is my first time to Les 400 Coups. We had the tasting menu with wine pairing. They served fish, lamb sweetbread and rabbit which may not be for everyone but definitely fit my taste. Outstanding desserts.Special Features:
- PretentiousSlowFineDiningDined on 7/31/2014The food was solid and flavorful, but the service was hideous. When asked for any recommendations, the server simply said everything was great as this was the finest restaurant in Montreal. Gee, thanks. My fish was overcooked, but as the waiter never checked on us until the meal was over, at which point he told me, "if you have any complaints we have a little blue card to fill out... ha ha... of course you could have no complaints--I trust it was as wonderful as I said it would be." We just smiled and asked for the check. An evening that we will never get back, unfortunately on our last night of a Montreal vacation. My advice is to steer clear and eat elsewhere.
- Tasting MenuLive2EatDined on 7/29/2014This is the first time I've been back to 400 Coups since the change on chefs/management. We went with the tasting menu to get the full experience and were not disappointed! I was very impressed by 4 out of the 5 dishes (the sweetbreads were a bit lacking in flavour and texture)--but overall very interesting flavours, very fresh, the rabbit was superbly tender and succulent, the smoked eel tantilisingly smokey, and the tartar sublime. Desserts were also very flavourful. I would highly recommend and am definitely coming back.Special Features:
- PartyOfFourDined on 7/29/2014We had been wanting to go to 400 Coups for some time, and were not disappointed. The food was excellent for all four of us. The wine list could be a bit more elaborate with the additon of less pricey choices. The music playlist is all over the place with American pop hits ( rock and country ) from over the years and a bit too loud. Mellow jazz instrumental would be more appropriate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOWDodgerVIPDined on 7/26/2014Wow----we are from one of the world’s restaurant capitals---San Francisco, where great food is the norm. Well, Les 400 Coups is something special and would rank in the best in any world city. A beautiful and intimate spot with specially friendly and helpful service, the dishes were to moan about. We tried a few selections and were consistently overwhelmed by the rich mixture of flavors in every dish. Not sure how they were able to blend so many unique flavors, but we were thankful to have had the opportunity.Special Features:
- Wonderful from start to finishHungrykittyVIPDined on 7/25/2014My husband and I dined and ordered a la carte. We enjoyed everything we had--from appetizers of pate and cold onion soup to main courses of guinea hen and Arctic char to a delectable caramel creme with peach sorbet dessert. The staff were attentive without being intrusive. It was a wonderful and memorable meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent!FA2014Dined on 7/16/2014Tres bon restaurant. Mariage des saveurs originale.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will definitely go back!YumyumDined on 7/12/2014Excellent service, very attentive. Amazing food, really intricate presentation and although we didn't know what half of the items on the plate (they do explain it to you), we enjoyed every bite!Special Features:
- Finally; good food in MontrealjasonwdDined on 7/11/2014With service that is neither too posh nor brash and in your face, Les 400 Coups made us feel really at home, plus - you get an English menu. The drinks were well recommended and expertly made but the food is the element of a night out that should be remembered and it was just that. The perfect balance between chiefy and munchable. All three courses were interesting and moreish. Up until now we have visited a lot of restaurants in Montreal and most have the look of the food right but tripped up when it comes to the taste. Les 400 Coups may stretch your budget, but its very much worth it.Special Features:
- Great in all waysScottaDined on 7/5/2014The food was terrific and our waiter was truly interested in our experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SublimeOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/5/2014Creative food, passionate about gastronomy, delightfully friendly. One of the best meals I've ever had! I'm not much of a dessert eater but DO NOT miss their wonderfully 'not so sweet' sweets. Sublime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/4/2014My boyfriend and I were visiting Montreal and looking for a great restaurant -- we couldn't have done any better! The menu was one of the most creative I've ever seen, service was excellent, and ambiance was wonderful (cool decor, dim and candlelit). I highly recommend!Special Features:
- A must each time I come to MontrealCarfreeinlaVIPDined on 7/3/2014Every time I come to Montreal, I make sure to arrive in time for a Friday lunch at 400 Coups- one of the great bargains you will find anywhere. The 3 course prix fixe is a great way to be introduced to the cuisine. I have read that they have a new chef but the food is consistently delicious.Special Features:
- Superb fooddogbaby60VIPDined on 6/27/2014Fabulous food! Menu is small but the quality is superb. Must try the sweet creamy onion soup, it is like nothing you've ever had. Wine list has some interesting options in all price ranges. Tables can be close and vibe a bit noisy but the food and service make this dining experience worth it.Special Features:
- Made us look good!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/25/2014We were dining with friends visiting from Sweden and they were blown away with the wonderful, creative dishes and the great service. Thanks so much for contributing to their fabulous Montreal memories!Special Features:
- no shenanigans at Less 400 Coupswilltravel4foodDined on 6/21/2014Les 400 Coups is a jewel in Old Montreal. There were lots of "foodies" in the restaurant enjoying bottles of wine and quiet conversation. The veal tartar is amazing. We also ordered the Arctic Char and the Suckling Pig and highly recommend those selections. The restaurant itself beautifully done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodbengolVIPDined on 6/21/2014Les 400 Coups is one of the better restaurants in Old Montreal. Good food, good service, nice ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dining experiencebcdinerDined on 6/19/2014We took the advice of my niece's husband, himself a noted chef in Montreal, and did not regret our experience. Wonderful food and ambience. A highlight of our recent trip to Montreal.Special Features:
- Great meal. Seating for 5 iffy!Trav2dineDined on 6/18/2014We were 5 for dinner and had each had 3 courses, generally different, so we saw different dishes. All very good to excellent and the service was very attentive. Only negative was the fact that the table was 3 tables for 2 pushed together - so we were sitting 3 on one side and 2 on the other side. The table edges were not level so we couldn't get the 2 persons 'centered'. It was awkward for conversation considering the ambient noise level. Too bad there were not a few round tables - but it is a small dining space.Special Features:
- Very good food, uneven servicedubaxDined on 6/11/2014Came here for a friend's birthday and had the tasting menu w/wine pairings. The food was quite good, creative, and beautiful. We both found it interesting that the last two courses on the tasting menu were basically dessert, but we loved them! Service(with the exception of the sommelier) was another story. Pretty slow between courses. We noted food allergies in the booking, on the day of confirmation call, and again when we selected the tasting menu. Our 1st course still contained the items. They then half corrected it replacing one of our plates while the other person(who wasn't allergic but not to have them on her's either) moved them to the side. They then gave her another course later with items on our "list" in another course.Special Features:
- Good experience, would recommendOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/7/2014Food was very good and very well presented. Service was knowledgeable and very pleasant. We recommend highly.Special Features:
- Best dinner during F1 weekendpoohVIPDined on 6/7/2014This year I made reservations for 3 dinners with new restaurants (instead of returning to our favorites). Les 400 Coups was by far the best meal this weekend, and may I add rivaled a meal we recently had at Cityzen (Mandarin Oriental DC). Plus, our waiter was a hoot! Loved loved loved listening to what he "saw" when he described eating certain dishes...Special Features:
- UNBELIEVABLE!!!FabulousVIPDined on 6/6/2014I don't think it is possible to write a review glowing enough for this restaraunt. The food is simply sublime. Crafted with care, detail, passion and love. Every member of the staff seemed to take pride in not only the food but the EXPERIENCE of dining there as well. This restaraunt is truly amazing. I cannot wait to go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very disapointingBabylynxDined on 6/3/2014This was by far one of the most disappointing experiences in a long time I don't mind paying for good quality and tasty food Nothing that we ordered on their menu (which happens to be very limitative) was worth the $ they charge. The service was average. We originally wanted to do the tasting menu but there's one thing that I just couldn't have because I dislike it much, instead of recommending something else or offering to replace it with something else, I was pretty much told to look for something else on the menu. We served our own wine, the waiter served it once and then for the rest of the bottle we did our own service. I would not recommend this place.
- Love this placenorthstarDined on 5/30/2014If you love fresh, magical food and interesting wines, just try it and see for yourself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CreativeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/30/2014Just phenomenal food. Very inventive. Take classic dishes and spin them with modern flair. Service was impeccable too.Special Features:
- Very good experienceDaveLonDined on 5/30/2014My wife and I completely enjoyed ourselves for supper. Food and wine excellent and just shy of 5 stars.Special Features:
- Tres bonThesorusDined on 5/30/2014Tres bon repas du midi, excellent rapport prix/qualitéSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerMitchTheFoodSnitchVIPDined on 5/28/2014Innovative and fresh menu - bit small, but very open to accommodating special dietary needs. Wait staff were a little stretched this night, but extremely good, great with wine selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/27/2014My favourite restaurant in Old Montreal. Food and service are both great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyable eveningdrewmacDined on 5/24/2014Food was excellent from start to finish. Desert was delicious and unique blend of fresh fruit, chocolate and caramel. Service staff very knowledgeable and confident in talking about menu. Our server also made a great wine pairing recommendation that nicely complimented the rich duck magret we ordered. Dining room ambiance was fantastic with decor and music creating a contemporary yet intimate environment. Will definitely be looking forward to next visit.Special Features:
- A blow for fine diningGoodword13Dined on 5/24/2014I was visiting Montreal for the weekend and wanted to try out some of its noted restaurants. The 400bLows was on the list and i was able to snag a seat at the bar. I was unsure of what to expect but very quickly I was wowed by a Nova Scotia Trout followed by a Rabbit Tagliatelle and a Peach sorbet and caramel cream desert that was outstanding. The wines that accompanied two of the courses were perfectly chosen by my server as was the aperitif that started the proceedings. A memorable and high class affair all round.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/24/2014Les 400 coups is a great restaurant in the Old Part of town (next to the Old Port). The food is very well prepared. I had rabbit which is hard to find. The desserts were amazing.Special Features:
- The whole nine yards!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/24/2014Excellent atmosphere. Delicious food. Prix fixe meal with wine tasting option. Service was outstanding. Les 400 coups was recommended to me and I will recommended it to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real gem in the Old PortjkhmontrealDined on 5/24/2014We tried the tasting menu with wine pairings and it was outstanding from beginning to end. The pairing of the main course of rabbit with a German pinot noir was absolutely inspired. This ranked among the very best dish/wine combinations I have ever had. The pace of the courses and portions were perfect. The service staff are highly professional but also relaxed and friendly. The sommelier is amazing. Waiters are all completely proficient in both English and French. We left completely satisfied and will be back. Its not for the faint of wallet, but for a rare special occasion I can't recommend this restaurant highly enough.Special Features:
- A Symphony of FlavorsChristianDined on 5/24/2014Going to "Les 400 Coups" Is like attending a classical concert. You have an idea of the ambiance. You have a good idea of the spectacle being offered. You go looking forward to an enjoyable evening and you come out having been transported by a symphony of flavors concocted by the culinary staff. Service is impeccable.” Les 400 Coups” never disappoints!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.