Leon's Restaurant of New Haven
501 Long Wharf Drive
New Haven, CT 06510Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Leon's Restaurant of New Haven
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.leonsrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2035625366x2
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 10:30 - 2:30 Brunch is available; Dinner on Sunday is available 3:00 - 10:30
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, International
- Executive Chef: Edward E. Varipapa
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Leon's offers both on premise as well as off premise catering. Please inquire within for details.
- Entertainment: Local bands and musicians are featured in our Bar/Lounge area Friday and Saturday evening.
- Special Events: Leon's caters to groups of all sizes. We are a perfect location for weddings, ceremonies, showers, testimonials, corporate events, birthdays, anniversaries, graduations, bar & bat mitzvahs, and holiday events.
A word from Leon's Restaurant of New Haven
Exceptional International Cuisine with an Italian Flair! Spectacular Waterfront Views! Since 1938, Leon’s Restaurant has been synonymous with New Haven and with exceptional Italian food. Family owned and operated, the tradition continues at 501 Long Wharf Drive in New Haven, Connecticut. Leon’s famous signature dishes, Pane Cotto, Chicken Zingara, Pork Tenderloin Calabrese, just to name a few, are prominently featured on the menu along with the famous ever changing “Goodie List” (daily specials--and we DO mean SPECIAL!) Live entertainment is featured Friday and Saturday evenings. Leon’s in its new location provides patrons with spectacular water views, seasonal outdoor dining, ample FREE parking and easy access to both I-95 and I-91.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Leon's Restaurant of New Haven reviews from OpenTable diners
- Not open for business!oldbluDined on 9/5/2012The restaurant was not open when we arrived. It is under construction for a new Restaurant (Lenny's and Joe's Fishtale Restaurant). We had reservations but were not notified.
- First time there, food wasAlgtvsVIPDined on 8/25/2012First time there, food was very good and the view was pretty.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2012I went here for the first time on 8/24/12. We were celebrating my husband's birthday. We were seated by a window overlooking the water, what a view!!Our waiter, (Jesus) was Great!!! Friendly, attentive, very accomadating!! When I made the reservation online I mentioned it would be my husband's birthday, they Remembered and brought him a cannoli with a candle in it, and Poor Jesus tried his very best to sing Happy Birthday!! It was Great!!!Special Features:
- In transitionLauraFVIPDined on 8/20/2012Felt like a restaurant on the way out. Location was great -on the water- but our waiter told us they were moving. Food was good and plentiful. Our waiter, Jesus, was very engaging.
- I went to see a band on FridayOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/10/2012I went to see a band on Friday night, and enjoyed the music. I ordered appitizers and everything was delicious!Special Features:
- A Pleasant LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/10/2012Leon's is a popular place for the business clientele as well as for folks just looking for a good meal in a friendly atmosphere with a view of the water. The view of the harbor is not exactly an idyllic ocean view, but it gives at least an acceptable modicum of the open, expansive feeling those of us who like to look at water so enjoy, which I certainly did on this rainy Friday for lunch. It was not crowded at all, which was no real surprise on an overcast day with everyone escaping the city to dash to their homes along the shore on a muggy August weekend. The service was gracious and efficient, and the food was fine. I've never had dinner at Leon's, but will certainly give it next time I'm in New Haven to see a show at Long Wharf.Special Features:
- Food was very good, serviceGraybarn41Dined on 8/8/2012Food was very good, service a tad slow (I think the kitchen was the problem.Decor is tired, in need of an upgrade, but nothing beats the view.Special Features:
- Leon's for the WinOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/7/2012My recent experience with Leon's was a first time adventure for me. I travel a great deal and sought good food coupled with an easy and pleasing atmosphere - Leon's fit the bill perfectly. The food was excellent and the service was likewise very good. Yes I would return again and very much recommend the dining experience at Leon's to anyone seeking a good meal at a reasonable price with a waterfront view.Special Features:
- Disappointing--will not returnOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/5/2012I was disappointed with the brunch. It was difficult to get our waiter to place orders for omelettes or frittatas. There wasn't a chef attended waffle station-waffles were just located in a chafing dish.They became chewy while in there. That was extremely disappointing. Our reservation was bumped by people who decided to not eat outside. That was disappointing, especially when we had 2 young children with us and had to wait. Finally, it was extremely hot in the restaurant. The AC wasn't working properly.
- Wonderful, as usual. I can'tOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/2/2012Wonderful, as usual. I can't wait for the move to North Haven.Special Features:
- Very relaxed atmosphere forYummiTomatoVIPDined on 7/22/2012Very relaxed atmosphere for Sunday brunch with great view of the water. There were a couple of small wedding-type parties at the restaurant.Special Features:
- MIFFED, it's an UnderstatementchetzakDined on 7/15/2012Miffed is an understatement, they sent a reservation confirmation and then a reminder but neglected to tell us that we were stuck with the Buffet for this Sunday. When we asked for menus (as with previous reservations) we were told they would be closing within the hour as they had a fund raising event due to start at 3:00pm. The waiter tried to negotiate for us but could only come up with a Bar Menu which was not acceptable. On th Positive side, this is New Haven and many good restaurants do exist. Never again, Leon's loss was Cafe Goodfella's gain, had there what we expected from Leon's (A wonderful Sunday afternoon with Friends)Special Features:
- Good food, good service, good priceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/15/2012First time going there and we picked it as it was equidistant for a group of 6. Had brunch outside on the covered deck overlooking the harbor. Brunch buffet was excellent. You name it, they had it: lox, roast beef, roast pork, eggs, bacon, sausage, sausage in peppers, deserts, cheeses, the list goes on and on. I'm not usually a fan of buffet brunches, but this one was top notch. I think they also made omelettes to order, but frankly, I hit that buffet line twice because the food was so good. And I'm not usually a big eater. When the bill came I laughed because it was so low. I guess they had a $3 bloody mary or mimosa deal and the buffet was $20. Our waiter checked in on us but never made us feel rushed. Definately going back.Special Features:
- Don't bother!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/8/2012Worse brunch that we have ever experienced! Buffet was very disappointing. Highly over priced for what we got. Embarassed to have recommended it my friends.
- A bit pricey - dinner forBetsyDined on 6/23/2012A bit pricey - dinner for two $135 (with tip and tax and only one drink each). But nice views and good food and very friendly service.
- Absolutely excellent staff!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/20/2012Absolutely excellent staff! My entre was good but the spinach salad was great. Definitely overpriced but a good experience.Special Features:
- Sunday Brunch was very good.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/17/2012Sunday Brunch was very good. Wide selection of breakfast and lunch selections including a carving station and omlets to order. Dining inside or out on the waterfront.Special Features:
- Leon's is an old New HavensenioreaterDined on 6/15/2012Leon's is an old New Haven favorite. Once a great mid-town restaurant, it moved to an incredible location on the New Haven harbor. Though the view is bounded by the Interstate on one side and oil tankers on the other, the scene is still dramatic and romantic, particularly if you eat outdoors. The food ismediocre. The generous fish portions are paired with various assortments of peppers, veggies and light sauces, but both scrod dishes were overcooked and veggies too. The appetizers are far superior, with lightly fried calimari dotted with red-pepper flakes a standout. Ditto the mussels and clams. Service is slow, and plodding. The heater was out of gas, wine removed while half done, etc. Go for the view, appetizer and desert.Special Features:
- Beautiful out door dinningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/9/2012Always nice when you have a perfect day to dine outside. Could have used a tidying up. The food was EXCELLENT!!!!! Great bottle of wine. And the dessert was a perfect ending to our meal.Special Features:
- Excellent as always - FirstOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/8/2012Excellent as always - First Friday evening we've dined there and the bar was packed. Live entertainment was being set up, and the noise level overall was high, which is why we didn't rate the entire experience as "outstanding".Special Features:
- Amazing food! Everything weOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/5/2012Amazing food! Everything we ate, my tilapia and my boyfriends pasta was delicious! I would come back again!Special Features:
- Highly recommendOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/5/2012Food was excellent! We went for our anniversary, they provided us with our seating request and the service was great, I even got the recipe to my favorite martini!Special Features:
- we did not know we could onlyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/3/2012we did not know we could only order brunch. some items had been out too long, especially in the warming dishes and we in my opinion ruined. we should have ordered omelets made to order to get something freshSpecial Features:
- Worth a visitOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/2/2012Staff was very accommodating as our group size changed. Food was traditional Italian and very good.Special Features:
- The food at Leon's is delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/2/2012The food at Leon's is delicious! Service is outstanding! To sit outside is ideal as you watch the boats go by on Long Island Sound. Especially nice after dark as the lights sparkle on the waterSpecial Features:
- Poor service. They ran outOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/27/2012Poor service. They ran out of food constantly. Ran out of plates. They offered made to order omelets, but the wait staff never came over. Had to hunt people down to get coffee and drinks. We were there for a very special occasion and brought guests. It was embarrassing ! They were not that busy for such poor service and quality.Special Features:
- All good, including a fabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/26/2012All good, including a fabulous table with a view of the water.Special Features:
- Have been to Leon's numerousOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/21/2012Have been to Leon's numerous times and this was time was not a good experience. Our waiter was not very attentive. A filet was not on the menu, or available. Settled for Pork Chops and they were soaking in gravy. Probably will not go back.
- We had an decent meal. TheAutumnJoyVIPDined on 5/19/2012We had an decent meal. The steaks and stuffed rigatoni were very good. The fish dish, not so much.Not remarkable or even memorable.Overcooked and a bit dry, but the sauce helped. Clams casino were not the best, and alittle overbreaded. Our server was pleasant, but slow and inattentive. Sitting outdoors by the water was a nice experience.Special Features:
- Good but loud Mother's DayMaryDined on 5/13/2012Leon's had an extensive buffet for Mother's Day. The food was refilled often and was good. The restaurant was very crowded as it was a holiday. The staff were rushed, flustered and had a difficult time with keeping up with the pace. The front desk kept people waiting for 20-30 minutes even with reservations. They did not have a good method to check people in so that it was confusing and chaotic. The buffet was well presented. There was more food than you could possibly eat. The desserts however were very ordinary with asmass chocolate fountain that really only dribbled rather than cascade.Special Features:
- Been there many times. UsuallyOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/12/2012Been there many times. Usually fairly good service. This time it was terrible. Food is good but expensive. Great view on the terrace.Special Features:
- would like more healthy selections.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/12/2012would like more healthy selections. Soups too salty Otherwose very goodSpecial Features:
- There were not a lot of peopleOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/10/2012There were not a lot of people there on a Thursday evening. The noise level would be a bit overwhelming if it were crowded. I like the open atmosphere but I could see where it would be difficult to have a conversation. Good food, there were a lot of varied choices. Thanks for having a special needs choice (gluten free). Waitress was very attentive even when we told her we would be there awhile & she had been there all day. Expensive but worth it. Wish I could write more on the special note.Special Features:
- This was a restaurant thatOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/5/2012This was a restaurant that I enjoyed as a teen over 30 years ago. I remembered the fabulous italian seafood and I was not disappointed. The food was fabulous - just as I remembered. The Shrimp Eugene had giant shrimp that were delicious and the famous sauce was as good as i remembered. The food brought back many memories.This has been a favorite restaurant for many many yearsSpecial Features:
- Good choice for a late SundayOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/22/2012Good choice for a late Sunday afternoon dinner, especially if the weather is nice.Special Features:
- The ambiance of Leon's isOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/18/2012The ambiance of Leon's is its calling card for an enjoyable dining experience. Sitting along the seaside makes a treat for the eyes, as well as a treat for the appetite. The food is delicious, and the waitstaff is attentive.Special Features:
- Underwhelmed.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/16/2012Was there for restaurant week. Food was poor. Didn't want to take it home for leftovers even. Dessert was good though. Nice place on the water with view. Good wine selection. Service was okay. Had a bottle of wine with meal - we refilled our glasses on our own.
- Great view of the waterfrontOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/16/2012Great view of the waterfront from inside restaurant. Server was courteous and professional during Restaurant Week. Delicious entrees.Special Features:
- Celebrating a wedding anniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/14/2012Celebrating a wedding anniversary with my wife. We were seated immidiately. There was a loud party in an adjoining dining room. It settled down as the night went on. I had salmon ckaes as an appetizer and it was ok with the sauce that was provided. My wife a chicken noodle soup which was good. The pizza bread provided should be avoided as it was bread with "dry" pasta sauce.I had the surf and turf with potatoes and green beans. My wife had pasta carbonara. My wife did not enjoy her food and doggie bagged. The dessert menu was limited as everything was with chocolate. The waiter was nice enough not to charge for the chocolate broule cake after my wife took a bite and thought it was too rich. Overall the food was average, the service was goodSpecial Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/14/2012The food and service were excellent. I will definitely be going back again!Special Features: