Leon Bistro - Chico
817 Main St
Chico, CA 95928Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
Leon Bistro - Chico
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.leonbistro.com/
- Phone: 5308991105x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wednesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm.
Cooking Classes every Tuesday: 6:30pm - 9:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Global, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Ann Leon
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: pick ups
off-site with servers per negotiation
- Private Party Facilities: private dining rooms available for parties of 10 to 35 people. Small alcove rooms for smaller parties of 10-20 people. Larger private dining room/Wine cellar for parties up to 35 people
- Private Party Contact: Ann Leon/Hazel Van Evera 5308991105x
- Cross Street: E 8th St
- Public Transit: Bus stops in front of restaurant. Taxis are available as well as Pedi cab services.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: off street parking both in front of restaurant and close to restaurant on side streets. A private lot can be arranged when needed for special events...located across the street from restaurant.
A word from Leon Bistro - Chico
Welcome to Leon Bistro 817 Main Street ( just across from the Chico Natural Grocery store). Serving Contemporary California Cuisine with an emphasis on a complete farm to table experience. This is a sustainable, organic and locally sourced farmer/owner influenced restaurant.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerCalifornian
Leon Bistro - Chico - Best Restaurants in Chico ›
Leon Bistro - Chico reviews from OpenTable diners
34 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (27)fit for foodies (25)romantic (19)neighborhood gem (15)notable wine list (13)good for groups (5)hot spot (3)late-night find (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Leon Bistro.....awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/18/2014Decided to take our 14 and 16 year old children out for a special dinner, so tried Leon Bistro. Initially, they were not too impressed with its location and the quietness once we were seated; however, being that they enjoy good food.......they fell in love with the place. They both agreed that it was the best restaurant they had ever eaten in. Everything was sooooo delicious. Will definitely make this a top choice for a special celebration.Special Features:
- Wonderful findCharminginChicoDined on 10/11/2014So happy we found Leon. We had a wonderful evening working our way through the wonderful menu. Food was as well prepared and seasoned and the presentation was superior. Had a lovely evening and will go back the next time we are in Chico.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Possibly the best meal of my lifeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/11/2014Need I say more? The house salad and artichoke crusted halibut were life changing. I've been here several times now and it never disappoints!Special Features:
- Anniversary dinnerJandCinluvDined on 10/10/2014We've spent the last two wedding anniversaries at Leon Bistro because the atmosphere is romantic the food delicious and the service outstanding. We'll be going back again next anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ParadiseNicholsDined on 9/18/2014Our initial visit to Leon's was perfect in every way. The fig with blue cheese appetizers were exceptional, the wine perfect, and the entrees amazing. We will return as regular patrons. The chef created dishes that we have never found at other Chico establishments. The wait staff was professional and personable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time here, great eveningDineIsFineDined on 9/12/2014The food was creatively prepared and presented, a colorful and wonderfully flavorful culinary artistic experience. The service was awesome, with a waiter who had a genuine and friendly personality. We look forward to returning for a special event like an anniversary, as the prices reflected the high quality of the experience.Special Features:
- Special meal with friends2foodiesDined on 9/12/2014We celebrated our anniversary with dear friends, had the most fabulous array of appetizers while waiting for the past member of the party to arrive, then the outstanding meals, which we shared tastes of sauces around the table because they were remarkable. We even did dessert, and found that we had spent a lovely, gourmet three hours together. It did get quite noisy at some points, but did not overshadow the chefs creations.Special Features:
- Superb RestaurantOMCAFredDined on 9/10/2014We were traveling, and spent one night in Chico. Reviews sent us here--it was wonderful. The appetizers--halibut cakes; figs with blue cheese and bacon--were FABULOUS. The main courses were excellent. And the desserts were to die for. Do not fail to order the salted caramel ice cream. Service was attentive and friendly. The booths, made from a lovely honey colored wood, were comfortable and attractive. Large format prints on the walls are intriguing. Really, a lovely place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant North of SacramentoDanielVIPDined on 9/5/2014This is easily the best restaurant in Chico (it's not even close), and in my top 10 all-time. That's saying something given I live in the Bay with places like Alexander's, La Fondue, and The Plumed Horse minutes away. The food is incredibly unique, and the plate presentation is phenomenal. You'll be treated to so many complex flavors regardless of the dish you pick.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at Leon BistroJohnnyMacDined on 9/5/2014Liked the food. The reduction on the lamb shank was a little overpowering, and the lamb slightly overcooked. The table was sticky, maybe partly because of the finish. My wife's steak was a bit tough but good. Perhaps too many competing flavors on the plate. The house wine wasn't great. We wish there were more house choices. We enjoyed ourselves and would eat here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticHungryhippoDined on 9/3/2014I had a flat iron streak wonderfully spiced and cooked perfectly. My wife had the hanger steak and enjoyed it. I have and would in the future recommend Leon's Bistro.Special Features:
- Dad's Treat00DuckyDined on 8/29/2014After posting a glowing review of the food and service on my Face Book account about my first visit (to celebrate our anniversary) my Dad asked he could take me and my partner on his next visit. He was so impressed with everything that he is excited to bring his wife the next time they are in town. Thank you make making each dining experience an amazing one.Special Features:
- Leon Rocks!UviousDined on 8/28/2014Best restaurant in Chico--food to die for, great staff!Special Features:
- Good choice for PaleoGuesteaterDined on 8/15/2014Leon Bistro is a good choice for Eating out Paleo, although I was a little surprised to see that they've moved from offering to make plates Paleo to charging $2 for apps, $4 for entrees extra to serve Paleo. How about make your menu Paleo and charge extra to add pasta and rice and other non Paleo items? the existing prices are pretty high as they are, this just puts them into another level, which I don't think the plates deserve. The food is good, but not San Francisco-excellent. The restaurant was busy, which is great to see. I like the Open Table reservation system, since I couldn't get anyone on the phone.Special Features:
- Great date nightLukedukeDined on 8/8/2014heard lots of good things and nothing was less the stellarSpecial Features:
- KarenVIPDined on 7/12/2014We had a GREAT dinner at Leon Bistro! The staff was so accommodating. I am gluten free and as soon as our wait staff (and the hostess) heard that they immediately offered all of their options to me! We would absolutely return to this restaurant and would have no hesitation in recommending it to anyone!
- Wonderful surprise!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014We've lived in Chico for over 30 years and had never been to Leon's. It was wonderful. The food was beautiful! And it tasted as good as it looked. Service was attentive without being cloying. Appreciated that is was not a loud place with loud music to boot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MikeMikePDined on 7/11/2014Excellent dinner specials. Wonderful dining experience. The gem of Chico.Special Features:
- Incredible!InFoodRehabDined on 6/25/2014This is by far the best restaurant in Chico! It's a foodie's dream! There were as many items on the "specials" that weren't published on the menu as there were on the menu! We came for a business dinner and everyone was raving about their dishes. I had the scallops special, which was incredible! The oyster shooters and grilled peach appetizers wer both amazing. Everything we had was cooked to absolute perfection. The service was spot on, and the price was right. I will absolutely be returning time and time again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 13 reviews are from the Leon Bistro - Chico reviews archive.
- OK for upscalesakimunkiDined on 6/20/2014Can't expect a whole lot for Chico upscale dinning, but Leon is as good as it gets. The calamari is pretty awesome, melt in you mouth. The scallops I ordered were perfectly cooked and the curry sauce was to die for. There was entirely too much though going on with the veggies in the middle--sweet potato, lentil, garlic sauteed kale, caramelized onion and pinapple... Just a little too much. The bf had the rib eye special. Came blanketed in a thick layer of burgundy cooked onion. Fat not at all trimmed from edges. Didn't taste because I don't eat beef but he was not impressed. Again, good flavor, just too much. Took forever to get a drink. Would go again for a special occasion though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Patrick BerrypberryDined on 6/20/2014Leon's is one of those places where the menu doesn't change a lot, but the specials aren't just chef experiments, they're a whole second menu.Special Features:
- Our anniversaryDurhamduoDined on 6/20/2014We chose to celebrate our anniversary here for the 2nd time. The food was very good, beautiful presentation and our server Amanda was a real pleasure. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RUNVSRUNVSDined on 6/7/2014While we enjoy dining out we didn't discover Leon's restaurant until a couple of years ago. I can honestly say there's no other dining experience that compares to Leon's in Chico. The menu is fantastic and the specials are many and simply wonderful. Where to dine is never the question, it's what to order.Special Features:
- Won't be backTaramayjuneDined on 6/7/2014High prices for just ok food. Pretty presentation, but Bison was tough. Fed to our dogs. Rack of lamb consisted of 3 small ribs. Halibut dry. Service was above average, and ambience was nice.
- creative menuMatthewJRobertsDined on 6/5/2014Make sure you ask for specials because they have many not listed on menu.Special Features:
- Fantastic experienceggibsonIIDined on 5/23/2014My wife and I had an amazing dinner there for our ten year anniversary through the recommendation of a friend in food sales. The host was very welcoming, and the waitresses were extremely professional. We had three waitresses who consistently checked on us throughout our dining experience, just enough and not to much to allow us our privacy. The food was exceptional!! My wife had the filet mignon and I the rack of elk, the plates came out with that special touch, the pride of the cook staff shown through the presentation of the plates, which flavor only added to the already exceptional experience. Definetly a place we will visit more frequently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ThompsonNatives9595Dined on 5/23/2014It was our first experience dining with Leon's and we weren't disappointed! Fabulous menu with many specials to choose from like their Abalone-style Calamari and artichoke crusted Halibut. Unique dishes with moderately generous portions. It's pricey but well worth the cost as their service and presentation are top notch. Our only negative would be the ambience could be improved upon somewhat. Also, our rubber-solved shoes stuck to the floor, probably due to the cleaner they mop with or something. But it was an all-around pleasant dining experience that we hope to repeat!Special Features:
- Graduation dinnerunruhlyDined on 5/16/2014Nice restaurant for graduation dinner. My husband had the rack of elk with blackberry sauce, which he said was outstanding. Son ate the calamari which he enjoyed. I had the surf n turf... which was ok, but for me, too many things were going on on the plate. I'd select differently next time, but would def return.Special Features:
- Beautiful dinner Don't take kids!MomoffourDined on 5/11/2014We came from out of town to meet family for a Mother's Day dinner. We were surprised at how formal the place was. It would've been a nice adult only atmosphere so it was a bit awkward with the kids. The servers didn't quite know what to do with us. But other than that the food, atmosphere, and service with outstanding! We will definitely visit for date night again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/9/2014I travel the world for business and I have found equals BUT none better than Leon's. the elk ribs for me were great and the scallops my wife had were equally outstanding. Service remarkable!Special Features:
- Reservation not honoredMisleadDined on 5/6/2014After reserving through Open Table we transported our 89 year old mother to this restaurant only to discover that it was booked for a cooking class, and not open for dinner. Although we can't comment on the food or service, a screw-up like this does not reflect well on the management or the restaurant.Special Features:
- It started well, and then...PaigeVIPDined on 4/26/2014Arrived at 8 in an uncrowded dining room. The good: Great waitress who suffered through my husband's beer questions; menu included gluten-free options. The bad: We didn't get apps (GF calamari) until after 9...at 8:50 were told it would be right out; and the issue that it was GF. I would have cancelled earlier had I known GF would take so long. Calamari was fine, and then on request the mains arrived at 9:20 - warm asparagus salad w/ pork belly and 14 oz porterhouse drowning pepper sauce and bacon jam. 1/3 of the steak was fat & 1/3 bone, all buried under sauces. The pork belly wasn't seared and was overly sweet, fatty & cold. Between the timing, food and a broken exhaust fan (the smoke had my eyes red and burning by 9) we'd never return.