226 S. Main St
Ann Arbor, MI 48104Neighborhood:
Latin AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.lena-annarbor.com/
- Phone: (734) 994-2773
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Gabriel Vera
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Manager 7349942773x
A word from Lena
A uniquely modern culinary experience inspired by the foods and traditions of Latin America and influenced by the flavors and techniques of American contemporary cuisine.Continued
Our guests are served by professional, attentive and knowledgeable staff.
Our guests are served by professional, attentive and knowledgeable staff.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Lena reviews from OpenTable diners
86 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (45)good for groups (26)hot spot (24)neighborhood gem (24)great for outdoor dining (21)special occasion (14)great for lunch (13)vibrant bar scene (12)late-night find (7)great for brunch (6)romantic (5)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Excellent foodlongtimeumprofVIPDined on 11/7/2014We had fish tacos and brisket tacos. Doesn't sound very original, but they were very creative and really tasty. Nice sweet hot mojito to go with the food, highly recommended. Somewhat limited menu but quite a few interesting items. Excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lena can be intimateSPenchanskyVIPDined on 11/1/2014We sat at a round table for 5 back by the bar and the noise was moderate. The built in booths are very intimate as well. Lots of spices. Not quite as good as when it has been, but still worth it. I had the short ribs and not as good as previous. I like it for lunch menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/1/2014The items they listed as specialties were by far the best on the menu. Fish tacos way to fishy, otherwise lacked flavor.
- bring the old menu back!rju4cornellDined on 10/26/2014Lena is the same price, but ever since changing the menu it's suffered. Either drop the price, or get better food. Service was mediocre, but they did accommodate my 8 person group on a Sunday (although we were one of 3 tables in there...my how it has changed!).
- Great Menu Standardssoxno1fanDined on 10/18/2014My girlfriend and I eat here mainly for their appetizers and beef brisket and fish tacos. The food is phenomenal, albeit inconsistently portioned (which is important at the price they charge). The waitstaff is generally very friendly, but service is usually slow, partly due to the large attendance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salmon was delicious!crazymomof4Dined on 10/17/2014We came in for dinner with 3 of our kids and had a great meal. Our waiter was great and brought the food in a timely manner. The salmon was great and the quinoa that came with it was good too. My husband had the fish special and he enjoyed that too. The corn trio dessert is a must -try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/12/2014My husband and I went for our wedding anniversary and had a wonderful time. Energetic without being noisy. Delicious food and drinks!Special Features:
- SO LOUDKat7Dined on 10/10/2014and SO CROWDED. Glad we had a booth. Server was awesome. Host and bar staff less so. Food was good, nothing I'd have to try again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!Kitkat3Dined on 10/10/2014Lots of good entrees to choose from. Our party got the scallops, the short ribs, and the flank steak. We all loved our dinners. I would like to go back and try all the Happy Hour specials!Special Features:
- Excellent Food....usually.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/9/2014Maybe it's just a personal issue but I did not care for the duck confit at all. The food is always very good here but particular dish did not have much duck and was mostly Bready. Still fabulous place and I will go here again and highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great service...delicious foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/27/2014Our waiter was great. The appetizers, salads and entrees we ordered were yummy. (hot goat cheese spread, guacamole, beet salad, roasted cauliflower salad, short ribs and polenta, blue crab burrito, and a sockeye salmon special). Desserts were so-so. They looked great but tasted just ok.Special Features:
- Gone downhill, especially serviceCbw18Dined on 9/27/2014Lena used to be one of our favorite Ann Arbor restaurants for nice ambiance and great food. Now, we have had decent food and lousy service two times in a row. With so many other great options, I doubt we'll go back. Can't recommend Lena anymore.
- Always GoodGKAAVIPDined on 9/27/2014We've been to Lena four or five times for either dinner or breakfast/brunch. It never disappoints. The menu is creative and the food is terrific. Lena has a funky, eclectic vibe and the service is always good - friendly and efficient without being overbearing. All in all, just a terrific place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine, but not great, and too noisyOTuserVIPDined on 9/26/2014We were 4 adults in our 50s and 60s - older than the rest of the patrons. The burger, roast beet salad, and blue crab burrito all went over well - not stand out foodie food, but competent, friendly, and fresh food. For us, the noise level was too high. My friends had been there before and said when they were seated in a booth it was quieter and conversation was possible. For us, the booths were full and we were out on the center floor, and it was too noisy - music loud, and so people shouting their conversations, making it louder. Ann Arbor has lots of good restaurants, and I will not be going back to Lena any time soon.Special Features:
- FergieVIPDined on 9/26/2014We were there for lunch. Excellent humitas....fish tacos were underseasoned and uninteresting. Our waiter was frank with his opinions about the soups - that was helpful. I wish the atmosphere on the first floor weren't so reminiscent of a cafeteria....it could use some more personality!Special Features:
- Ok place to eat on Main StreetFoodie21Dined on 9/26/2014Lena was an ok place to eat on Ann Arbor's Main street. Nothing special but not bad. The server was not as attentive as he should have been, especially because the place was 1/4 full. The food was ok. There is nothing that I would say my friends and I would crave that would make us go back. Other Main street and surrounding places have foods or experiences that make you say hey I want to go, I am craving xxxxx.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Major service faux pascheezypoofDined on 9/20/2014We've been a few times, in the past we liked the creative menu and overall good service. On our recent visit however Lena has taken significant steps backward. The menu is less intriguing, especially entrees where nothing jumped out at us. Apps were OK. The reason we won't return is simple, we had just been served apps when the server showed up with entrees. After a quick apology they proceeded to serve our entree plates next to our soups, salads & apps, and that was that. Were they trying to get rid of us, or was it just incompetence? Either way it was unacceptable. So many better places to choose, we're done with Lena.
- very good dinnerDinningforFunVIPDined on 9/20/2014So I am a little ambivalent about this restaurant. 1. the meals we ordered were really great - chiascura steak, gnocchi, scallops, all really flavorful and well presented. 2. seating - next to a red pole all night was uncomfortable and made the experience unpleasant. 3. waiter served salad and main course at same time - Why would you do this? Overall - this is my second time here - and would consider coming back - but there are things to work onSpecial Features:
- An off night for Lena2BoysDiningOutDined on 9/19/2014Arrived for our 9pm reservation and was told the computer systems were down... And they could not seat anyone or process food orders, etc. We were encouraged to take a seat at the bar and they would text us when the systems were back up running. Oddly enough the bar (at the back of the restaurant was able to hand write orders and provide drinks and appetizers-which were delicious. The Peach and Jalapeño Margarita are a favorite as are the Plantain Tostadas and the Goat Cheese dip. 50 minutes later we received a text and were seated in the dining room. The night actually was fine to this point. At the table, service, food, kitchen timing were all off. This is a favorite dining spot where we have an great times but they had an off night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EhFHFoodieVIPDined on 9/19/2014The drink menu had interesting options, and the appetizers were acceptable. The entrees were bland and luke warm. Lena is probably an okay choice for a place to meet for drinks and appies, but I would not plan to eat a full meal there.
- Reasonable prices and decent foodNickiDined on 9/14/2014Prices are very affordable and happy hour would be a great deal. Had papas rancheras which was chorizo, potatoes and onions/peppers in a nacho cheese sauce (better than it sounds but not what I was expecting). Cuban sandwich was big but a bit sweet and had minimal mustard and pickles. Adobo chicken salad was also very sweet and not overly flavorful. The place has a cool 60's latin/cuban ambiance. Our waitress was overeager but effective. I would go back for happy hour and drinks.Special Features:
- Menu Change Soon?A2FoodieDined on 9/12/2014I've been here three times over the past two years. Great food, awesome atmosphere. I just wish they'd change the menu up a bit, is love to see what new things they could come up with.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud but goodDlynnA2VIPDined on 9/5/2014If you want to actually have a conversation with the person across from you sit in a booth or outside. It gets loud in there. That said, food and drinks are spot on and all of the kids menu is scratch made and excellent as well. Have never had a bad meal here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday Night Lena DinnerWhensDinnerDined on 9/5/2014The food was well prepared. However, the sweet potato gnocchi was too sweet; the whole dish tasted as if it were coated in maple syrup. Their craft beers are available at other restaurants in Ann Arbor - nothing special there. Service was good. The waitress was attentive, but didn't have a strong grasp on the menu. The ambiance was disappointing. I got the impression that I was eating in a college cafeteria. The food and drinks were fairly pricey - 80 dollars for a two person meal. I guess we were expecting a little more for that cost. If you are going to try out Lena, I would go during their happy hour. It may be better as a casual dinning restaurant; especially if you have a large group - lots of space in the restaurant.Special Features:
- Appetizers/Drinks 👍 Meals 👊yalesmomDined on 8/31/2014Do not stop at Lena's if you're in a hurry. We weren't, so the slower kitchen service didn't bother us. The drinks and appetizers were fantastic. Both the potato cakes with cheese and the calamari would warrant a return trip. Our table had 5 different meals. The sweet potato gnocchi was the only meal with real flavor. I'm not sure if we would go again for dinner, but I can't wait to return to try the rest of the appetizers and a few more drinks from the fun drink menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousnessbeppyDined on 8/31/2014I had a great experience at Lena. The jalapeno/peach margarita was wonderful. I was hesitant to try it and I'm so glad I did. My friend and I shared the calamari, which was so tender and the sauce was delicious. We had the fish tacos, which were good but nothing special. And the guacamole which I liked a lot. We shared flan for dessert, it was incredible. We sat at a booth with a pole in the table, so it was very private. The service was good too. I would love to go back and try new things, but definitely getting the margarita again and probably the calamari too. I highly recommend Lena to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I used to love itEllenVIPDined on 8/30/2014But things are not quite as tweaked as they had been - maybe it is because I was so cold.
- surprisingly goodrickVIPDined on 8/30/2014Some unusual items on he menu, for example, humitas. However, I was impressed by how well prepared the dishes were. I had the ribs and they were tasty and tender but not fatty or dry. We will definitely return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad I came here!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014I thoroughly enjoyed my experience at Lena! For starters, the food was fantastic. Our server was extremely knowledgeable of the menu and very friendly. She helped me decide on what I wanted to eat and it was delicious. Lastly, the ambiance was perfect for a nice date night with my girlfriend. I highly recommend eating here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousdiscerningdinerVIPDined on 8/28/2014Great food, accommodating staff, festive cocktails. One of our favorites in Ann Arbor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice!KrisDined on 8/26/2014Very good service and food. I loved the music. I had a ceaser salad which was wonderful. I'd have to go back and try some more exotic dishes to give a really serious review but I liked what I had.Special Features:
- jumblerDined on 8/24/2014This is a place we will go back to. The server was very helpful and friendly and the food was very good. We enjoyed the free dessert because we and our friends were celebrating wedding anniversaries.Special Features:
- Nice mix of food and favorscandysVIPDined on 8/23/2014First time there with group of six and everyone got different things everyone seemed pleased. Tasty appetizers and mains. We did not have dessert.Special Features:
- poor service this timestylurusDined on 8/10/2014. We made reservations and were seated, but with many staff standing around we weren't waited on for a LONG time. Many waiters walking by without making eye contact. Finally, one waiter working the tables across the room came over, messed up our order, didn't bring water after being asked, delivered the wrong food to the wrong folks, etc. The restaurant wasn't even busy. The food was ok, but the total experience wasn't worth the price. We've been here other times with great service and good food.
- great evening outgenrcVIPDined on 8/8/2014Thanks to Lena for a wonderful dinner! Although there was a minor hiccup (they ran out of one of the specials after we ordered it), the restaurant was kind enough to reduce the price of an alternative entree. We were of course delighted when the original dish was available after all, and the restaurant was beyond generous in comp'ing the price of the now-extra entree. Great drinks and overall experience even without the free dinner!Special Features:
- A great downtown additionjackVIPDined on 8/8/2014Although the restuarant has been open for a while, this was our first trip. Apparently it is a second-coming of the Habana Restuarant originally on Washington. That being the case, We enjoyed our meal at least as much as we had enjoyed our meals at Habana. The menu is definitely unique (where else might you order blue crab burritos). Our server was excellent, making sure our food came in a timely fashion after we advised her we had an 8:00 o'clock concert. The location is excellent, particularly on a warm, summer Ann Arbor evening. The owners have done a nice job in renovating the site. We will go back and will recommend Lena to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Latin gem on Main streetSJ28Dined on 8/2/2014Very nice atmosphere. The waitress was knowledgable about the menu and food preparation. All 4 in our party really enjoyed their food. We had jerk chicken, adobo chicken salad, fish tacos and beef tacos. Too bad there wasn't a plantain side dish to try. The indoor hostess, however was a bit of a mess, kind of rude and unwelcoming. Luckily all went uphill after we got our table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fun place to dine. . .YdeekDined on 8/1/2014We had the goat cheese, and focaccia bread appetizers - they were both excellent. The drinks were good and fairly priced. We sat outside and very much enjoyed the evening and people watching!! The waiter served us at a leisurely pace and did not rush us out of there despite the busy night. He was very knowledgeable about the menu and happy to make suggestions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Diverse Latino Flair MenuLiv2dineDined on 8/1/2014Lena has a wide variety of Latino menu items almost to the detriment of the restaurant. Paella was good but not especially authentic. Fish tacos were good but not outstanding. Gin mojitos are a house specialty. Tasty sweet variation to the traditional rum based drink. Good service. Surprised there were open tables on a hustling bustling Friday night in Ann Arbor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extremely WelcomingMzParkrDined on 8/1/2014Lena was fantastic, as usual. It was my friends first time and she absolutely adored it. Food is always fresh with fast friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.