Leis Family Class Act Restaurant
310 W. Ka'ahumanu Ave
Kahului, HI 96732Neighborhood:
Global, InternationalPrice: $30 and under
Leis Family Class Act Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mauiculinary.com/
- Phone: 8089843280x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Wed & Fri. Reservations available from 11:00am-12:30pm beginning on Friday, September 5.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French / American, Global, International, Eurasian
- Executive Chef: Chef Tom Lelli
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, BYO Liquor, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Private catering is available when the restaurant is dark. Call Ed Costa, at 808-366-7736 to book the Class Act or the Private Dining Room for your private event for any day OTHER than our standard operating hours.
- Private Party Facilities: Our private dining room seats a maximum of 16 guests with views of the Pacific Ocean. This is a beautiful room for a private luncheon, birthday party, office event, or shower! The remote A/V screen makes it a wonderful board room as well. We offer the Leis Family Class Act prix fixe menu for guests who book the PDR (Private Dining Room) on Wednesdays and Fridays with a minimum of 10 diners.
- Private Party Contact: Juli Umetsu 8082833463x
- Special Events: Our end of semester Gala Dinner will be served on Wednesday, December 10. Reservations are now open. Details & menu will be forthcoming on this very special end of the semester wine dinner.
A word from Leis Family Class Act Restaurant
The Leis Family Class Act Restaurant is our student run fine dining room at the University of Hawaii Maui College. Students enrolled in the Maui Culinary Academy are your chefs and servers under the leadership of their instructors. We serve a 4-course prix fixe menu on Wednesdays and Fridays with reservations available from 11:00am - 12:30pm. Our price for the complete 4-course meal ranges from $29 - $38 depending upon the entree selected. The globally influenced menu changes weekly. Be sure to call early for reservations as we are sometimes sold out weeks in advance. Menus can be viewed at www.mauiculinary.com and click on the Class Act Menu button OR simply click the MENU tabs on this Open Table site. We look forward to serving you!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Leis Family Class Act Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
14 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (11)fit for foodies (10)special occasion (7)scenic view (7)neighborhood gem (5)romantic (2)good for groups (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- Goebel's Visit Again !bonjimgDined on 9/12/2014Always an exceptional dining experience each time we visit. This trip the lunch was over the top delicious from the complimentary amuse bouche, the mushroom cappuccino appetizer, beet salad, mac nut crusted fish entree, braised ribs entree, dessert (WOW factor here), and French press coffee too. All the servers and staff are extremely friendly and efficient. It's just an overall wonderful lunch visit. Wish we could have stayed on the island longer to visit again. But there is always next year!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unforgettable Fine Luncheon DiningCDEADined on 9/10/2014Where can you have a fabulous 4 course luncheon with a unique menu, attentively prepared and with an elegant presentation found only in five star restaurants? The answer is at the Maui College Culinary Academy Leis Class Act Restaurant. The featured American Menu, beginning with a tomato mousse buche and concluding with a rich chocolate cake and strawberry creme, excelled in all respects. The wild mushroom soup, made with a shiitake base and filled with a purée of wild mushrooms, topped with a droplet of cream, had me wanting to lick the bowl. Our short ribs and pork tenderloin were served with a velvety parsnip and potato purée and a medley of vegetables, all perfectly cooked. We'll be back for the Moraccan Menu in two weeks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MauibratsVIPDined on 9/5/2014Local Treasure! We're locals and every time we dine here we say we should come more often.Special Features:
- LeisFamily Resturant is a Class ActFoodMauiDined on 9/5/2014This is a gem of a place. Not only is the food great and service as well but you are helping the future culinary and dining managers train. A two for one, you cannot lose.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food/Reasonable PriceBeacherDined on 9/5/2014I enjoy Leis Family Class Act Restaurant. I like the fine dining experience at lunch time. Most restaurants of this quality are only open for dinner. It is a friendly atmosphere with the hosts and servers always stopping to ask how you are doing. I feel very comfortable at this restaurant. I truly enjoy their lunch experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 160 reviews are from the Leis Family Class Act Restaurant reviews archive.
- Year end Wine and food pairingFoodieloverDined on 5/7/2014Our group attended the end of the year "final" food and wine pairing ...theme was a celebration to women wineries. The wine pairing was spot on! Excellent recommendations. The students and their mentors did an excellent job with some of the courses.Special Features:
- One of the hidden gems of MauimerhDined on 5/2/2014We have been there several times before and always been very impressed with the quality of the food. We like bringing our own wine also. The eager to please student waiters are sweet and fun to watch and do a good job. We had a nice view of the harbor area and campus. We will definitely be back! It was not the restaurant's fault that there was a loud, large party next to us. I think that was also why we waited quite awhile for our entrees to arrive. I am not sure how it could have been handled better but it was not as pleasant as previous visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DivineCheriDined on 4/30/2014We went on French Cuisine day--what a divine treat!Special Features:
- Fantastic FrenchMauiMeadowsFeastersDined on 4/30/2014We came for lunch at "French Theme" week, and were delighted. The food selections available were varied. My wife and I chose different main courses and both turned out to be outstanding. This was our second trip to this restaurant in less than a week, and we will definitely be returning.Special Features:
- Dining adventureOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/25/2014Interesting and creative menu. Excellent presentation. Exceptional service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely experience!AmazingDined on 4/25/2014Students and faculty of the Maui College Culinary Arts Academy put in tremendous effort. Everyone was welcoming, attentive, knowledgeable and happy,qualities that are important in any dining establishment. Our four course meal was impeccably served and very delicious. Appetizer was a chicken strudel, followed by a light salad. and then a very meaty lamb shank, as well as a delicately seasoned seafood stew. Crunchy American flatbread was served with olive oil and flavorful spices for dipping. Our server, Mike, suggested we order one of each of the deserts and both the beignets and the gelato ere fabulous. We brought a bottle of wine to go with our meal and enjoyed it, along with the view of the harbor. Memorable! Go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best on MauiMadaboutfoodDined on 4/23/2014We have eaten at many expensive Maui restaurants all claiming to offer a wonderful dining experience. None of them compares to meals prepared and served by The Maui Culinary Institute students. The food is beautifully prepared, presented on the plate and served by friendly, anxious-to-please students. The dining room may not compare to other restaurants' decor and settings overlooking the ocean but that doesn't really matter when your main reason for being at Leis Family Class Act Restaurant is to have a fantastic culinary experience. Don't hesitate to take advantage of the opportunity to eat here when the school is in session and offering special dining dates to the public.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Moroccan Menu LunchCocoChablisDined on 4/23/2014Moroccan Menu Lunch was superb and deserves 5 stars. Presentation was a feast for the eyes. Service was prompt and friendly. One of the best restaurants on Maui!Special Features:
- foodaliciousmauimaddnessDined on 4/23/2014be prepared for a 2 hour lunch....worth the wait outstanding menu that changes every 2 weeks or soSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/23/2014Incredible value for the money! Rivals all the high end restaurants on island and because it's lunch I don't have to hire a babysitter. A lunch at the Class Act has become a mother -daughter tradition when my mom is visiting. Thanks for all the great food and memories.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/16/2014Wonderful meal! Food was excellent. Service was a little slow but they made up for it by being friendly, knowledgeable, and courteous. I would highly recommend it. Nothing else like it for lunch in Kahului. Also a great value too.Special Features:
- A culinary gemmauimamaDined on 4/16/2014A lunch date at Leis Class Act is always on our agenda when we visit Maui. The students do an mpeccable job at preparing and serving some of the best food I have ever tasted in my life. On this visit there was a delay in service due to the new computer tablets that are used to take the orders. We had a significant delay between the first and second course, and our entire lunch took more than 2 hours. This has never been the case before. Our waitress kept us informed and we enjoyed our meal when it finally did come!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's always a treat to dine2CelebrationsDined on 4/11/2014It's always a treat to dine here...love the college kids doing a fantastic job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 stars!thnxLeisFamilyDined on 4/9/2014Great care and attention given by students and faculty to all aspects of guest's dining experience. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- International DiningmauifoodieDined on 3/19/2014We love the Class Act as the menu is always changing, featuring a different country and the food is delicious and beautifully presented. The students and staff are passionate about their craft and it shows. We go every month as a special treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French Influence Menu MagnificentCDEADined on 3/5/2014Once again, Class Act Restaurant provided a wonderful experience in fine dining. The menu began with a Salmon Mousse Bouchee, followed by a perfectly cooked Seafood Gratin. The Red Wine Poached Pear Salad coupled with Maytag Blue Cheese and Spiced Pecans was delightful; the Tomato Bisque was perfectly flavored and drizzed with creme fraiche and pesto. My Duck Confit leg had a crispy skin with tender meat. My husband's Filet Mignon was pink and perfect. The dessert was amazing: A Tart au Citron, Creme Fraiche Sorbet, Violet Macaron and Raspberry Foam - beautifully presented and a delectable end to another fabulous luncheon. The service was excellent; each course arrived at the right time. The staff was friendly and welcoming.Special Features:
- Best Place to Eat in MAUISandraDined on 3/5/2014Wonderful experience as always. Fabulous food, excellent wait staff especially Noe. She answered many questions I asked about her course,food which was on the menu and was a pleasure for us. The school does an excellent job and should be proud of The best their teaching the students. We had the opposite experience at Konas culinary school. I realize they have a small area not like yours at all BUT the meal was terrible and the poor server did not know how to serve, this is basic no matter what size of teaching area. I am assuming that it also is part of Hawaii community college but they need help. We love your Restaurant and will always come back when we visit Maui,againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Maui treasureOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/5/2014The Class Act restaurant is a fabulous showcase of the work being done at the Maui Culinary Academy. No wonder so many wonderful chefs have graduated from this program. The students are so well trained in food preparation, presentation and front of the house service. It is a pleasure to dine there. We loved the French meal. We tasted all three entrees and the Salmon, Filet Mignon and Duck Confit were all memorable and beautifully plated and served. A lovely whimsical touch was the pop cycle shaped sorbet dessert. Not only unique in its presentation, but very delicious. Good work MCA.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fit for a KingneverhereagainDined on 3/5/2014We had the French meal which was delicious. The presentation of the food was very attractive. The appetizer was a seafood gratin. We all felt like licking the dish when finished. When I choose the salad, I had expected it to be mixed, it wasn't. The fresh lettuce had bits of spiced pecans and was dressed, next to it was a large piece of blue cheese, a dehydrated spiced pear slice and then pears poached in wine and fanned out. We all had the filet mignon with mushrooms and béarnaise sauce. Cooked to perfection, tender and delicious. The accompanying vegetables were fresh and simple. Dessert was to die for! Lemon tart, and a crème fraiche sorbet, violet cookie and raspberry puree. Great service with informed servers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Lunch on MauiShirleyDined on 2/28/2014Keep going back and never disappointed!! A wonderful lunch and very professional staff guided by Juli.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome experiencebarbaraDined on 2/28/2014We absolutely LOVE having lunch at Leis. The food is always spectacular, diverse and creative. One of our favorite places to eat on island. the students are pleasant and eager to please and the view lovely. Only wish they offered some later hours - 12:30 is awfully early to eat so much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will be backFoodiesDined on 2/28/2014This was a great experience for us as we generally dine in more fast food environments. We will definitely be back next year. The menu and service was outstanding. Far exceeded our expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Art of DinningWhiffleincDined on 2/28/2014Maui Culinary Institute continues in its rich tradition of preparing a delightful 4 course meal at very competitive prices. The art of presentation is exemplary. Portions are of comfortable size and are prepared with the best of local ingredients available. Staff is made up of students preparing to enter the real world of restaurants and hotels. They are eager to please and learn, especially to see how to properly decant a fine bottle of wine. Yes, bring your own since the school does not have a liquor license. Bottom line, an excellent dinning experience was had by all assembled. Limited seating, so be sure to book well in advance of which particular theme you wish to partake of. Menues are posted on line early in the semester.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit of HeavenLainieDined on 2/28/2014What a wonderful experience...we keep coming back again and again... The food is not only creatively delicious but beautifully presented. It would be hard to find a gourmet restaurant on Maui to match up to their quality and standards...its a must do...Special Features:
- Pleasant SurpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/28/2014We'd heard a lot about Leis over the past few years, but had never visited. What a pleasant surprise! We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and look forward to our next visit. Reservations well in advance are needed. The food was excellent and the service was great too. Tremendous effort was put into making the experience a good one and they were very successful. The restaurant is BYOB and we may take a nice bottle of wine the next next we go. Well done!Special Features:
- Food was very good with interestingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/26/2014Food was very good with interesting french selections and outstanding service. It's always fun to come to the Class Act for a very different lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Deal on MauiDanCDined on 2/26/2014It is always a pleasure to be treated to such wonderful food presented by such enthusiastic individuals. Knowing that minor misteps are learning experiences for students makes it fun.Special Features:
- Class actOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/21/2014Best gig on Island of Maui. Food is delicious . Students are so much a pleasure. Dining such a pleasant experience. Sincerely ByronI would recommend this to a friend.
- elegant lunch, not to be missedronniemcdonnieDined on 2/14/2014id you plan to go to Maui - or are on Maui, this is an experience not to be missed! Make your plans ahead, you can book online. You can check the menu ahead of time online. Imaginative menus, you will appreciate the food's appeal and the attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best.HappilymauidDined on 2/14/2014Fabulous! We go for lunch as often as we can when we are on island.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian Food at Its FinestCDEADined on 2/14/2014Had an outstanding Italian luncheon at Leis Family Class Act Restaurant. Each course arrived promptly and at the right temperature. The portions were perfectly sized and presented for an enjoyable eating experience. Our ahi carpaccio melted in my mouth, and my stuffed pork braciole with polenta were delicious, as was my husband's lamb and spinach cannelloni. We only regretted we couldn't taste the vegetarian wild mushroom risotto as well. The Valentine Day dessert of a perfect Hazelnut meringue heart, served with an intensely flavored strawberry balsamic sorbetto and a marsala Zabaglione, accompanied by a white chocolate heart and raspberry jelly heart, completed our meal. We can't wait to return for the French luncheon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful presentationCarolleDined on 2/14/2014The food is beautifully prepared and delicious AND prepared by culinary students. A wonderful concept....having students experience all aspects of the business of fine dining. Sometimes you have to be a bit patient. Some of the students are new to the job. But they are eager to learn and eager to please. The food is consistently excellent. This place is a gem and one of my favorite places to dine in maui.Special Features:
- Best Deal on Mauiliv2eatDined on 2/14/2014High end cuisine served by enthusiastic students. The food looked beautiful and was delicious. Probably one of the best meals we've ever had. Very reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always really a delight!!clclDined on 2/14/2014our servers are always wonderful...trained correctly food is always great as I have a dairy allergy they are most accommodating.... sometimes that makes it a little slow but understandable... the web site is a little confusing at first but workableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous LunchBillVIPDined on 2/12/2014Best lunch in Maui hands down! Book early to reserve your table. Incredible butternut squash soup. Delicious fish. Just a wonderful dining experience with future all-star chefs!Special Features: