Leis Family Class Act Restaurant
310 W. Ka'ahumanu Ave
Kahului, HI 96732Neighborhood:
Global, InternationalPrice: $30 and under
Leis Family Class Act Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mauiculinary.com/
- Phone: 8089843280x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Wed & Fri. Reservations available from 11:00am-12:30pm beginning on Friday, September 5.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French / American, Global, International, Eurasian
- Executive Chef: Chef Tom Lelli
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, BYO Liquor, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Private catering is available when the restaurant is dark. Call Ed Costa, at 808-366-7736 to book the Class Act or the Private Dining Room for your private event for any day OTHER than our standard operating hours.
- Private Party Facilities: Our private dining room seats a maximum of 16 guests with views of the Pacific Ocean. This is a beautiful room for a private luncheon, birthday party, office event, or shower! The remote A/V screen makes it a wonderful board room as well. We offer the Leis Family Class Act prix fixe menu for guests who book the PDR (Private Dining Room) on Wednesdays and Fridays with a minimum of 10 diners.
- Private Party Contact: Juli Umetsu 8082833463x
- Special Events: Our end of semester Gala Dinner will be served on Wednesday, December 10. Reservations are now open. Details & menu will be forthcoming on this very special end of the semester wine dinner.
A word from Leis Family Class Act Restaurant
The Leis Family Class Act Restaurant is our student run fine dining room at the University of Hawaii Maui College. Students enrolled in the Maui Culinary Academy are your chefs and servers under the leadership of their instructors. We serve a 4-course prix fixe menu on Wednesdays and Fridays with reservations available from 11:00am - 12:30pm. Our price for the complete 4-course meal ranges from $29 - $38 depending upon the entree selected. The globally influenced menu changes weekly. Be sure to call early for reservations as we are sometimes sold out weeks in advance. Menus can be viewed at www.mauiculinary.com and click on the Class Act Menu button OR simply click the MENU tabs on this Open Table site. We look forward to serving you!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Leis Family Class Act Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Kahului ›
Leis Family Class Act Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
41 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (33)fit for foodies (31)special occasion (21)scenic view (17)neighborhood gem (13)good for groups (8)romantic (4)great for brunch (2)hot spot (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Tasty findtopdoggerelDined on 10/10/2014We read about this in one of our tourist books and tried to book in the summer, but OpenTable showed no slots until the Fall semester began. My only regret is that our schedule only allowed us one visit here. Enjoyed the duck confit on the French menu. What a treat!Special Features:
- DiningdivasDined on 10/10/2014We live on Maui. This is such an asset in the dining scene here. Food comparable to any 5 star restaurant. Ambience was superb. Our waitress, Sherry, was as delightful as can be. This was our first dining experience at your restaurant; it certainly won't be our last. We have, already, been spreading the word.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was awesome.3bestfriendsDined on 10/8/2014Our waitress was very, very nice. I forgot her name (Shery ?). All the others were great just as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad We WentJazzDined on 10/3/2014We had a lovely lunch...the food was outstanding, presented beautifully, and tasted wonderful! Loved the young respectful staff and had to smile when their iPads went down - they really had to scramble but pulled through. The encapsulated balsamic vinegar in the amuse bouche was such a treat, the Carpaccio second to none, the zucchini saltimbocca out of this world. Of note, the risotto was a bit overcooked and a bit too salty. But then came the dessert and all was fabulous - best dessert I or my husband have ever had.Special Features:
- Best kept secret.MauiCollegeRocksDined on 10/3/2014If a friend hadn't shared her cool find dining experience I would have never known about this. With some research I secured a Rez for Friday for my mom and I. This exceeded our expectations. And so looking forward to our next visit. Bring cash for tipping.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost Perfect4dcvisitorsVIPDined on 10/3/2014We love the restaurant. A few things though. It seemed to upset quite a few people that the window seats were reserved. If you make it a point to make a reservation, then there should not be another reservation needed for window seats. Do like other restaurants where it is first come, first serve for seating. Menu description should be complete. The appetizer had meat in it, even though the menu description did not have that information. That makes a big difference to vegetarians. Additionally, if there is a choice to have that same appetizer without meat, make sure the servers offer it. All the food was absolutely delicious. The servers were top rate in their attention to us, and their wonderful attitude. Recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best kept secret in KahuluiOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/1/2014Everything you want in a restaurant can be found at Class Act, and one better. It is an educational/training tool for the Culinary Institute so every aspect of your dining experience is covered by the exceptional students at the school. Service, Food, and ambiance are all 5 stars! Thank you, Class Act for a wonderful dining experience, it was worth planning my day around in order to make it in for lunch.Special Features:
- One of the Best restaurants on MauiHB1dakineDined on 10/1/2014The food is fabulous! The price is a bargain. The students are enthusiastic and their service is very good. The instructors have made this one of Maui's best restaurants. It's nice to have a leisurely mid day meal. 4 courses or under $40.00 AND you can bring our own wine at no corkage fee! What's not to love!!!! P.s.They accept credit cards but the tip must be in cash. Go figgah?Special Features:
- Delightful experienceSjb1Dined on 9/26/2014We have been there many times. Always enjoy the young people and their attitude. You can feel the enthusiasm for learning when you walk in the door. The food is outstanding and the price is very reasonable for what you get.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Imagining The CasbahLizzieDined on 9/26/2014Our Moroccan cuisine luncheon was beyond delight. From the amuse bouche, through the appetizers, salad, entrée , and elegant dessert, the theme was perfectly maintained. Our server confided that she had presented the menu to her class at the Culinary Academy, and she was so vivacious and enthusiastic about her knowledge of Moroccan cuisine that it definitely enhanced our enjoyment. What a wonderful opportunity to support the First Class Restaurant and also enjoy the finest of preparations, presentations and perfection of its directors and students!Special Features:
- A "Class Act" dining experience.CharlotteDined on 9/26/2014We were not disappointed once again. I had three friends with me who had never been tot he Class Act. They are now firm believers and will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous lunch in KahuluiHudcynDined on 9/26/2014I took a foodie friend to celebrate a new job. We were delighted with every course of this moraccan theme including the home baked naan bread with a unique dip of Olive oil and toasted, crushed macadamia nuts, turmeric, salt and pepper... The compressed melon salad with feta cheese and a mint vinegrette, complimented the seafood tagine. (Killer!!!) Their own robust coffee blend went well with the yogurt dessert that mimicked panna cotta. Excellent service, as this is a culinary institute at a local community college-these students are learning from the best and will go a long way :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Moraccan MemoriesCDEADined on 9/24/2014Wonderful menu; brought back memories of our Moroccan visit. The Chicken Bastilla was a perfect beginning. The Lamb Shank was succulent and flavorful with dates and pearl onions. The warm Naan with the olive oil and toasted seeds and herbs for dipping complemented the meal. The Toasted Almond Milk and Honey Pudding was suburb. It was a lovely Panna Cotta, not to sweet and lovely to eat. The plate presentation was professional and added to the meal's pleasure. The servers were attentive and helpful. All in All a delightful meal. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BullbunchforlunchDined on 9/24/2014We enjoy every themed luncheon at A Class Act! It is gratifying to see the students so completely engaged in their work.Special Features:
- Leis Family Class ActGHHealdsburgLeisDined on 9/19/2014Excellent menu, preparation, presentation and a service.Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/17/2014Our 2nd visit and looking forward to our future trips. Great way to try different meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Goebel's Visit Again !bonjimgDined on 9/12/2014Always an exceptional dining experience each time we visit. This trip the lunch was over the top delicious from the complimentary amuse bouche, the mushroom cappuccino appetizer, beet salad, mac nut crusted fish entree, braised ribs entree, dessert (WOW factor here), and French press coffee too. All the servers and staff are extremely friendly and efficient. It's just an overall wonderful lunch visit. Wish we could have stayed on the island longer to visit again. But there is always next year!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unforgettable Fine Luncheon DiningCDEADined on 9/10/2014Where can you have a fabulous 4 course luncheon with a unique menu, attentively prepared and with an elegant presentation found only in five star restaurants? The answer is at the Maui College Culinary Academy Leis Class Act Restaurant. The featured American Menu, beginning with a tomato mousse buche and concluding with a rich chocolate cake and strawberry creme, excelled in all respects. The wild mushroom soup, made with a shiitake base and filled with a purée of wild mushrooms, topped with a droplet of cream, had me wanting to lick the bowl. Our short ribs and pork tenderloin were served with a velvety parsnip and potato purée and a medley of vegetables, all perfectly cooked. We'll be back for the Moraccan Menu in two weeks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MauibratsVIPDined on 9/5/2014Local Treasure! We're locals and every time we dine here we say we should come more often.Special Features:
- LeisFamily Resturant is a Class ActFoodMauiDined on 9/5/2014This is a gem of a place. Not only is the food great and service as well but you are helping the future culinary and dining managers train. A two for one, you cannot lose.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food/Reasonable PriceBeacherDined on 9/5/2014I enjoy Leis Family Class Act Restaurant. I like the fine dining experience at lunch time. Most restaurants of this quality are only open for dinner. It is a friendly atmosphere with the hosts and servers always stopping to ask how you are doing. I feel very comfortable at this restaurant. I truly enjoy their lunch experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 160 reviews are from the Leis Family Class Act Restaurant reviews archive.
- Year end Wine and food pairingFoodieloverVIPDined on 5/7/2014Our group attended the end of the year "final" food and wine pairing ...theme was a celebration to women wineries. The wine pairing was spot on! Excellent recommendations. The students and their mentors did an excellent job with some of the courses.Special Features:
- One of the hidden gems of MauimerhDined on 5/2/2014We have been there several times before and always been very impressed with the quality of the food. We like bringing our own wine also. The eager to please student waiters are sweet and fun to watch and do a good job. We had a nice view of the harbor area and campus. We will definitely be back! It was not the restaurant's fault that there was a loud, large party next to us. I think that was also why we waited quite awhile for our entrees to arrive. I am not sure how it could have been handled better but it was not as pleasant as previous visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DivineCheriDined on 4/30/2014We went on French Cuisine day--what a divine treat!Special Features:
- Fantastic FrenchMauiMeadowsFeastersDined on 4/30/2014We came for lunch at "French Theme" week, and were delighted. The food selections available were varied. My wife and I chose different main courses and both turned out to be outstanding. This was our second trip to this restaurant in less than a week, and we will definitely be returning.Special Features:
- Dining adventureOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/25/2014Interesting and creative menu. Excellent presentation. Exceptional service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely experience!AmazingDined on 4/25/2014Students and faculty of the Maui College Culinary Arts Academy put in tremendous effort. Everyone was welcoming, attentive, knowledgeable and happy,qualities that are important in any dining establishment. Our four course meal was impeccably served and very delicious. Appetizer was a chicken strudel, followed by a light salad. and then a very meaty lamb shank, as well as a delicately seasoned seafood stew. Crunchy American flatbread was served with olive oil and flavorful spices for dipping. Our server, Mike, suggested we order one of each of the deserts and both the beignets and the gelato ere fabulous. We brought a bottle of wine to go with our meal and enjoyed it, along with the view of the harbor. Memorable! Go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best on MauiMadaboutfoodVIPDined on 4/23/2014We have eaten at many expensive Maui restaurants all claiming to offer a wonderful dining experience. None of them compares to meals prepared and served by The Maui Culinary Institute students. The food is beautifully prepared, presented on the plate and served by friendly, anxious-to-please students. The dining room may not compare to other restaurants' decor and settings overlooking the ocean but that doesn't really matter when your main reason for being at Leis Family Class Act Restaurant is to have a fantastic culinary experience. Don't hesitate to take advantage of the opportunity to eat here when the school is in session and offering special dining dates to the public.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Moroccan Menu LunchCocoChablisDined on 4/23/2014Moroccan Menu Lunch was superb and deserves 5 stars. Presentation was a feast for the eyes. Service was prompt and friendly. One of the best restaurants on Maui!Special Features:
- foodaliciousmauimaddnessDined on 4/23/2014be prepared for a 2 hour lunch....worth the wait outstanding menu that changes every 2 weeks or soSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/23/2014Incredible value for the money! Rivals all the high end restaurants on island and because it's lunch I don't have to hire a babysitter. A lunch at the Class Act has become a mother -daughter tradition when my mom is visiting. Thanks for all the great food and memories.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/16/2014Wonderful meal! Food was excellent. Service was a little slow but they made up for it by being friendly, knowledgeable, and courteous. I would highly recommend it. Nothing else like it for lunch in Kahului. Also a great value too.Special Features:
- A culinary gemmauimamaDined on 4/16/2014A lunch date at Leis Class Act is always on our agenda when we visit Maui. The students do an mpeccable job at preparing and serving some of the best food I have ever tasted in my life. On this visit there was a delay in service due to the new computer tablets that are used to take the orders. We had a significant delay between the first and second course, and our entire lunch took more than 2 hours. This has never been the case before. Our waitress kept us informed and we enjoyed our meal when it finally did come!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's always a treat to dine2CelebrationsDined on 4/11/2014It's always a treat to dine here...love the college kids doing a fantastic job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 stars!thnxLeisFamilyDined on 4/9/2014Great care and attention given by students and faculty to all aspects of guest's dining experience. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- International DiningmauifoodieDined on 3/19/2014We love the Class Act as the menu is always changing, featuring a different country and the food is delicious and beautifully presented. The students and staff are passionate about their craft and it shows. We go every month as a special treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French Influence Menu MagnificentCDEADined on 3/5/2014Once again, Class Act Restaurant provided a wonderful experience in fine dining. The menu began with a Salmon Mousse Bouchee, followed by a perfectly cooked Seafood Gratin. The Red Wine Poached Pear Salad coupled with Maytag Blue Cheese and Spiced Pecans was delightful; the Tomato Bisque was perfectly flavored and drizzed with creme fraiche and pesto. My Duck Confit leg had a crispy skin with tender meat. My husband's Filet Mignon was pink and perfect. The dessert was amazing: A Tart au Citron, Creme Fraiche Sorbet, Violet Macaron and Raspberry Foam - beautifully presented and a delectable end to another fabulous luncheon. The service was excellent; each course arrived at the right time. The staff was friendly and welcoming.Special Features:
- Best Place to Eat in MAUISandraDined on 3/5/2014Wonderful experience as always. Fabulous food, excellent wait staff especially Noe. She answered many questions I asked about her course,food which was on the menu and was a pleasure for us. The school does an excellent job and should be proud of The best their teaching the students. We had the opposite experience at Konas culinary school. I realize they have a small area not like yours at all BUT the meal was terrible and the poor server did not know how to serve, this is basic no matter what size of teaching area. I am assuming that it also is part of Hawaii community college but they need help. We love your Restaurant and will always come back when we visit Maui,againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Maui treasureOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/5/2014The Class Act restaurant is a fabulous showcase of the work being done at the Maui Culinary Academy. No wonder so many wonderful chefs have graduated from this program. The students are so well trained in food preparation, presentation and front of the house service. It is a pleasure to dine there. We loved the French meal. We tasted all three entrees and the Salmon, Filet Mignon and Duck Confit were all memorable and beautifully plated and served. A lovely whimsical touch was the pop cycle shaped sorbet dessert. Not only unique in its presentation, but very delicious. Good work MCA.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fit for a KingneverhereagainDined on 3/5/2014We had the French meal which was delicious. The presentation of the food was very attractive. The appetizer was a seafood gratin. We all felt like licking the dish when finished. When I choose the salad, I had expected it to be mixed, it wasn't. The fresh lettuce had bits of spiced pecans and was dressed, next to it was a large piece of blue cheese, a dehydrated spiced pear slice and then pears poached in wine and fanned out. We all had the filet mignon with mushrooms and béarnaise sauce. Cooked to perfection, tender and delicious. The accompanying vegetables were fresh and simple. Dessert was to die for! Lemon tart, and a crème fraiche sorbet, violet cookie and raspberry puree. Great service with informed servers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.