214 North Craig St.
Pittsburgh, PA 15213Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.legumebistro.com/
- Phone: (412) 621-2700
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30 am - 2:00 pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00 - 9:00 pm; Friday & Saturday: 5:00 - 10:00 pm
Bar: Monday - Saturday: 4:30 pm - 12:00 am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Trevett Hooper
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Join us at Legume for your next business, social or family gathering! Our private dining room seats up to 12 people, making it ideal for an intimate dinner. Several menu options are available, including a custom chef's tasting menu.
- Private Party Contact: Sarah Hooper 4126212700x
- Cross Street: Bayard
- Public Transit: The 71C, 71A, 54 and 93 all stop at the intersection of N. Craig and Bayard. Additional buses stop at N. Craig and Fifth Ave., approximately 1 and 1/2 blocks south of Legume.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking is available in the garage across the street from Legume for $3 with a validated ticket.
Bicycle parking is available free of charge directly in front of Legume, or in the garage across the street.
A word from Legume
Located in North Oakland, Legume serves contemporary, seasonal American cuisine and a full service bar, the Butterjoint. Legume is now serving lunch Monday through Friday.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Legume - Best Restaurants in Oakland ›
Legume reviews from OpenTable diners
226 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (185)special occasion (121)neighborhood gem (103)good for groups (60)romantic (58)vibrant bar scene (54)notable wine list (47)hot spot (40)great for lunch (27)late-night find (11)great for brunch (7)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- NEVER disappointssamanjanDined on 11/10/2014I nearly always choose Legume when I want to be assured of a wonderful dining experience. I have never been disappointed by the food, the staff, the ambiance, or anything else that you expect in a fine dining experience. And I also feel it is a GOOD DEAL for the care taken with the food - not to mention the way it tastes.Special Features:
- Good food - small portionsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014We went to Legume with two other couples. The food was good and the service was very good. The main complaints were that the menu was rather small and the portions were small. When the portion sizes are small the general feeling is that the food was overpriced. We had a fun night, but we probably wouldn't go back to Legume.Special Features:
- Very solid in all respects.DisappointedDined on 11/8/2014Legume hits all of the marks. If you want a well prepared meal with attentive service in a pleasant atmosphere, you will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- Innovative. Eclectic menulemondropVIPDined on 11/7/2014Unusual creative fresh a lot of locally grown organic food. A lot of attention paid to fresh fish and meats. Also good for vegetarianSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love LegumeAnonymousDined on 11/7/2014The food - quality, presentation, and creativity -- makes this one of the best restaurants in town in my opinion.Special Features:
- 1 of the best restaurants anywhereDavidODined on 11/1/2014Great food; great service. Wonderful place to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a great evening for 6pinecaymanDined on 11/1/2014Had a wonderful evening, drinks at Butterjoint then on to dinner at Legume. Great drinks, atmosphere, food and wine. Very nice portions and very tasty offerings. Service on point, attentive but not hovering. Did well with our party of 6 to keep the table active and drinks and food moving. Would return again.Special Features:
- Food with characterTomPDined on 11/1/2014Legume finds a great balance between out there and just right, with selections that are unexpected but not weird. With a group of vie, we got to try a bunch of different stuff and it was all terrific. Great Sazerac from the bartender as well, and top-notch service. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Legume always deliversFumISyumDined on 11/1/2014I've had the pleasure of dinning at Legume on several occassions and have consistently been impressed with every aspect of this establishment. If you have the opportunity to try the Bluefish Pate, I woudl highly recommend. The wait staff is very knowledgeable about the menu and provided excellent recommendations when questioned.Special Features:
- Nice but too priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/29/2014This was a very nice dinner. However, for the prices I expected to be really wowed by the food, and I wasn't. The food was very good, just not worthy of the price tags.Special Features:
- Legume PittsburghBarryDined on 10/28/2014A real gem. Outstanding food prep and presentation. Staff cordial. Service outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous RestaurantpmcqueenDined on 10/24/2014Legume is an outstanding restaurant. Everything about it, from the greeting at the maitre 'd's desk, to our server, Alan, to the interesting wine choices, the beautifully-prepared courses of our meal, and the good humor between the GM and our server, made for a terrific evening. Another aspect we loved was how clear and descriptive our server was of the various food items and their preparation and ingredients. He was so helpful! And a nice touch at Legume is having various servers bring diners different coursese; it gave us the chance to meet several interesting people! Finally ,having the GM bring us dessert and asking us about our dining experience was a stroke of genius!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulveggiedelightDined on 10/24/2014Food was spectacular! alot of thought goes into the menu! service was great.Special Features:
- Nice ChangeMellVIPDined on 10/24/2014We have driven by here many times when visiting my Pitt student. This past weekend we decided to give it a go and we were happy we did! We all appreciated the daily changing menu with lots of unusual choices. My dad loved the Moroccan Lamb Shank, with great subtle spice. I loved the Chicken Paprikash, just a little heat and very tasty. The Chocolate Truffle Cake was to die for and the Pumpkin Crumb cake came fresh from the oven. We will definitely return!Special Features:
- Great place to take visitorsTheLBDined on 10/22/2014This place will really impress any visitor. They have a great local wine and beer selection and food from all around the area. The menu changes every day and has great diversity and lots of items that I wasn't familiar with, so make sure to check their website before you go so that you're not sitting there stumped about what to get for 20 minutes like I was!Special Features:
- Fancy food, casual atmosphereKimberlyDined on 10/21/2014This is actually my favorite type of restaurant - formal food with a friendly staff and casual atmosphere. The food here was way TOO formal for my taste, though. The menu was very sparse, and my friend and I looked up some items on her phone, asked the waitress about others. I like to be able to recognize the names of my food! That's more my shortcoming than the restaurant's, though, and for the right party, it's probably a wonderful thing. We didn't have time for dessert, but that menu did look great!Special Features:
- Legume is fabulous.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/21/2014What a wonderful place. the food is fresh and outstanding. Worth every penny!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2014Never a bad meal here. Interesting food with surprising tastes. Love it.Special Features:
- A restaurant that I shall rememberSharriDined on 10/18/2014Service was extremely efficient. Our waiter explained the dishes exceptionally well and all servers were very friendly😃. The food was expensive but very high quality. Enjoyed this restaurant experience with my husband and grandson who is a student at University of Pitt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalFoodFanaticDined on 10/17/2014Texture of the flavor overlays was wonderful, very complexSpecial Features:
- Loved It!pghrobDined on 10/17/2014We loved Legume! We were celebrating my wife's birthday...they gave us a wonderful table by the window. The staff was knowledgable and passionate about good food. The food was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experiencebas4nDined on 10/14/2014Friendly staff, wonderful food, and pleasant atmosphere made our dinner so much more enjoyable. It's great to go to a restaurant that does all things so well that you can just enjoy the company of your friends and eat a good meal.
- Lovely lunch spoturbanfabricDined on 10/14/2014This is a great spot for lunch. I know they are open for dinner, but as I work nearby I am here for lunch usually and can't say anything bad about it. People seem to think the menu is vegetarian, but instead the vegetables are the stars and I love that. The oddly named Vegetarian Explosion is my choice for lunch, it's the perfect portion and features seasonal ingredients executed beautifully (no actual exploding vegetarians included). I brought my mother, who is in a wheelchair, and they had no trouble accommodating her as the place is accessible. Bonus: they gave us a table up front rather than making us negotiate the whole restaurant with her chair, classy! I do wish the doors had automatic openers, maybe next renovation.Special Features:
- Great service, great foodFoodiesDined on 10/10/2014This was our second visit to Legume. We were seated immediately for our reservation. We were a party of 6, but that didn't matter, the service was still great. Portion sizes were perfect. This is not a place for someone expecting a ridiculous amount of food as many American restaurants do these days. We left full and full of high quality goodness. I can't say a bad thing about our visit. Unknowingly, we brought a friend that doesn't eat beef. This was not an issue as the alternatives were great. We will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LimitedPLG1011Dined on 10/10/2014Although our table of five enjoyed dinner, we thought the portions were too small and the prices too high. The limited menu choices were creative, but not necessarily satisfying. The Pavlova was excellent, however.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Innovative and excellentwoz2Dined on 10/9/2014Novel dishes beautifully served and presented. Clean modern interior design.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Underwhelming ExperienceBertDined on 10/9/2014October 9, 2014 - Dinner I was able to be seated immediately and I was poured a glass of water right after sitting down. Then I waited...it was at least 15 minutes before a server came over to me to ask if I would like anything to drink. I was about a minute away from getting up and walking at since I don't believe I should need to ask for a server. Once a server did finally come over I never felt welcomed. I don't need a server to have a five minute conversation with me, but I don't think I should feel like my presence there is awkward. The food was good, I just didn't think it was great which was disappointing with the price point for the food. I'm not saying my experience is representative of Legume, but I doubt I will be returning.
- Consistently excellentticketlucyDined on 10/9/2014Legume is always a pleasure. Inventive menus, civilized and unassuming ambiance, and knowledgeable, personable servers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014Wine list, by the glass, totally inadequate. Very limited number of entrees available and don't expect server to list any specials. Wife had the lamb steak, which was thin-sliced and still a bit tough. Grandson had the chicken, and said it was excellent. No need to describe these dishes further since there is only one steak and one chicken to choose. My crispy farro was pretty bad - the "greens" had more stems than leaves. Unless you live in the neighborhood, this one isn't worth driving to. The server was superb, though.Special Features:
- lovely!jfkpittVIPDined on 10/3/2014WOnderful place. I come often. The service is impeccable. Very warm and friendly, classy and low key. The food is top notch. Great beer, wine, and cocktail selections. Portions are nicely sized. Not enormous, but enough for sharing. Price is fair. I love it and am glad they are successful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was okay.3moren20Dined on 10/3/2014As usual, my boyfriend and I decided not to get an appetizer and get two desserts instead. We order our main dishes, but the bread didn't come until a minute before our main dishes arrived. The bread was bland and the crust was very hard. the butter spread, was just butter. We were disappointed. I got a medium rare beef bistro with good sauce, but not enough of it. All in all, the chicken main entree dish was good, but not at the level of such a nice place. The peaches dessert was horrible, the caramele dish was pretty good. The service was good, but the restaurant was noisy. We thought that the food was definitely not worth the price. I doubt we will go here ever again.Special Features:
- TfoodDined on 10/2/2014Disappointing experience. Menu very unremarkable, as was the food. Butter joint, however, was great.
- Exceeded expectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/27/2014Not one to take the time to write restaurant reviews, but this place is phenomenal. We had a great server as well. Started with the goat cheese app and my husband had the pate. The chicken paprikash entree is amazing. Simple and delicate. Homemade noodles and overall a refined version of an old dish. My husband had the lamb and thought it was cooked to perfection and full of flavor. Place is clean and hip, but not too trendy and still a homey kind of vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent meal all aroundfullmoondinerDined on 9/27/2014My sister recommended Legume and it was everything she said and more when my fiance's sister came to town with her husband to visit for the first time. My swordfish was excellent and just the right size portion. The others loved their meals as well. I will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, noisy place!WaltDined on 9/26/2014The food is always excellent. The service is always very good. The tables located in the large room are not recommended. Too noisy and it is difficult to carry on a conversation across the table with all of the background noise from the other tables. Not a romantic intimate place to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best squid everBirdmanDined on 9/26/2014Have been meaning to go to Legume since they were on Braddock Ave. but never seemed to time the reservation properly. Was not disappointed. Menu is somewhat short but so varied that it's not a problem. Fantastic grilled squid. My wife raved about the grilled peach salad. All entrees were exceptional. Great mixed drinks. The server was also very helpful & actually seemed to enjoy waiting on us. It's not cheap but well worth it.Special Features:
- It is not all vegetables!BigSFDined on 9/26/2014Legume is the French word for vegetable. But the restaurant with this name serves up much more. Although the ambiance of white table cloths, white walls and pale lineolum floor is more than a bit sterile and cold, the food isn't. Legume offers consistently inventive flavor combinations in the hands of a staff who can be less than attentive at times. Our server at lunch had at least one nose ring and multiple piercings and seemed particularly bored with his role.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great datecatzRkewlDined on 9/25/2014Food was excellent, atmosphere is warm and inviting, and the server was extremely attentive and very kind. All in all it was a great experience. I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ShrinkonabikeshrinkonabikeDined on 9/25/2014This was a sparkling, lively restaurant with well thought-out food, a choice of appetizers and small and medium plates and servers who were entirely onboard with our taking our time, ordering food in stages and taking our time The service was attentive without being intrusive. The climate in the restaurant feels very European to me, with many diners walking in, a mix of young and older and many lively conversations going on. The food was beautifully presented in reasonable portions-- one exception was a rather large dessert that fortunately we'd decided to share. Everything I ordered was delicious and I am a foodie who is often frustrated with restaurant food that is not better than my home cooking. Legume exceeded even my expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!anOpenTablecomUserVIPDined on 9/25/2014Unique offerings, fresh ingredients, superbly executed dishes, attentive service, great environment... Enough said, well done!Special Features: