214 North Craig St.
Pittsburgh, PA 15213Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.legumebistro.com/
- Phone: 4126212700x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30 am - 2:00 pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00 - 9:00 pm; Friday & Saturday: 5:00 - 10:00 pm
Bar: Monday - Saturday: 4:30 pm - 12:00 am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Trevett Hooper
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Join us at Legume for your next business, social or family gathering! Our private dining room seats up to 12 people, making it ideal for an intimate dinner. Several menu options are available, including a custom chef's tasting menu.
- Private Party Contact: Sarah Hooper 4126212700x
- Cross Street: Bayard
- Public Transit: The 71C, 71A, 54 and 93 all stop at the intersection of N. Craig and Bayard. Additional buses stop at N. Craig and Fifth Ave., approximately 1 and 1/2 blocks south of Legume.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking is available in the garage across the street from Legume for $3 with a validated ticket.
Bicycle parking is available free of charge directly in front of Legume, or in the garage across the street.
A word from Legume
Located in North Oakland, Legume serves contemporary, seasonal American cuisine and a full service bar, the Butterjoint. Legume is now serving lunch Monday through Friday.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Legume - Best Restaurants in Oakland ›
Legume reviews from OpenTable diners
224 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (178)special occasion (114)neighborhood gem (102)romantic (60)notable wine list (48)vibrant bar scene (48)good for groups (45)hot spot (35)great for lunch (28)late-night find (9)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- ExceptionalOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/17/2014Texture of the flavor overlays was wonderful, very complexSpecial Features:
- Loved It!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014We loved Legume! We were celebrating my wife's birthday...they gave us a wonderful table by the window. The staff was knowledgable and passionate about good food. The food was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experiencebas4nDined on 10/14/2014Friendly staff, wonderful food, and pleasant atmosphere made our dinner so much more enjoyable. It's great to go to a restaurant that does all things so well that you can just enjoy the company of your friends and eat a good meal.
- Lovely lunch spoturbanfabricDined on 10/14/2014This is a great spot for lunch. I know they are open for dinner, but as I work nearby I am here for lunch usually and can't say anything bad about it. People seem to think the menu is vegetarian, but instead the vegetables are the stars and I love that. The oddly named Vegetarian Explosion is my choice for lunch, it's the perfect portion and features seasonal ingredients executed beautifully (no actual exploding vegetarians included). I brought my mother, who is in a wheelchair, and they had no trouble accommodating her as the place is accessible. Bonus: they gave us a table up front rather than making us negotiate the whole restaurant with her chair, classy! I do wish the doors had automatic openers, maybe next renovation.Special Features:
- Great service, great foodFoodiesDined on 10/10/2014This was our second visit to Legume. We were seated immediately for our reservation. We were a party of 6, but that didn't matter, the service was still great. Portion sizes were perfect. This is not a place for someone expecting a ridiculous amount of food as many American restaurants do these days. We left full and full of high quality goodness. I can't say a bad thing about our visit. Unknowingly, we brought a friend that doesn't eat beef. This was not an issue as the alternatives were great. We will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LimitedPLG1011Dined on 10/10/2014Although our table of five enjoyed dinner, we thought the portions were too small and the prices too high. The limited menu choices were creative, but not necessarily satisfying. The Pavlova was excellent, however.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Innovative and excellentwoz2Dined on 10/9/2014Novel dishes beautifully served and presented. Clean modern interior design.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Underwhelming ExperienceBertDined on 10/9/2014October 9, 2014 - Dinner I was able to be seated immediately and I was poured a glass of water right after sitting down. Then I waited...it was at least 15 minutes before a server came over to me to ask if I would like anything to drink. I was about a minute away from getting up and walking at since I don't believe I should need to ask for a server. Once a server did finally come over I never felt welcomed. I don't need a server to have a five minute conversation with me, but I don't think I should feel like my presence there is awkward. The food was good, I just didn't think it was great which was disappointing with the price point for the food. I'm not saying my experience is representative of Legume, but I doubt I will be returning.
- Consistently excellentticketlucyDined on 10/9/2014Legume is always a pleasure. Inventive menus, civilized and unassuming ambiance, and knowledgeable, personable servers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014Wine list, by the glass, totally inadequate. Very limited number of entrees available and don't expect server to list any specials. Wife had the lamb steak, which was thin-sliced and still a bit tough. Grandson had the chicken, and said it was excellent. No need to describe these dishes further since there is only one steak and one chicken to choose. My crispy farro was pretty bad - the "greens" had more stems than leaves. Unless you live in the neighborhood, this one isn't worth driving to. The server was superb, though.Special Features:
- lovely!jfkpittVIPDined on 10/3/2014WOnderful place. I come often. The service is impeccable. Very warm and friendly, classy and low key. The food is top notch. Great beer, wine, and cocktail selections. Portions are nicely sized. Not enormous, but enough for sharing. Price is fair. I love it and am glad they are successful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was okay.3moren20Dined on 10/3/2014As usual, my boyfriend and I decided not to get an appetizer and get two desserts instead. We order our main dishes, but the bread didn't come until a minute before our main dishes arrived. The bread was bland and the crust was very hard. the butter spread, was just butter. We were disappointed. I got a medium rare beef bistro with good sauce, but not enough of it. All in all, the chicken main entree dish was good, but not at the level of such a nice place. The peaches dessert was horrible, the caramele dish was pretty good. The service was good, but the restaurant was noisy. We thought that the food was definitely not worth the price. I doubt we will go here ever again.Special Features:
- TfoodDined on 10/2/2014Disappointing experience. Menu very unremarkable, as was the food. Butter joint, however, was great.
- Exceeded expectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/27/2014Not one to take the time to write restaurant reviews, but this place is phenomenal. We had a great server as well. Started with the goat cheese app and my husband had the pate. The chicken paprikash entree is amazing. Simple and delicate. Homemade noodles and overall a refined version of an old dish. My husband had the lamb and thought it was cooked to perfection and full of flavor. Place is clean and hip, but not too trendy and still a homey kind of vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent meal all aroundfullmoondinerDined on 9/27/2014My sister recommended Legume and it was everything she said and more when my fiance's sister came to town with her husband to visit for the first time. My swordfish was excellent and just the right size portion. The others loved their meals as well. I will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, noisy place!WaltDined on 9/26/2014The food is always excellent. The service is always very good. The tables located in the large room are not recommended. Too noisy and it is difficult to carry on a conversation across the table with all of the background noise from the other tables. Not a romantic intimate place to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best squid everBirdmanDined on 9/26/2014Have been meaning to go to Legume since they were on Braddock Ave. but never seemed to time the reservation properly. Was not disappointed. Menu is somewhat short but so varied that it's not a problem. Fantastic grilled squid. My wife raved about the grilled peach salad. All entrees were exceptional. Great mixed drinks. The server was also very helpful & actually seemed to enjoy waiting on us. It's not cheap but well worth it.Special Features:
- Great datecatzRkewlDined on 9/25/2014Food was excellent, atmosphere is warm and inviting, and the server was extremely attentive and very kind. All in all it was a great experience. I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ShrinkonabikeshrinkonabikeDined on 9/25/2014This was a sparkling, lively restaurant with well thought-out food, a choice of appetizers and small and medium plates and servers who were entirely onboard with our taking our time, ordering food in stages and taking our time The service was attentive without being intrusive. The climate in the restaurant feels very European to me, with many diners walking in, a mix of young and older and many lively conversations going on. The food was beautifully presented in reasonable portions-- one exception was a rather large dessert that fortunately we'd decided to share. Everything I ordered was delicious and I am a foodie who is often frustrated with restaurant food that is not better than my home cooking. Legume exceeded even my expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!anOpenTablecomUserVIPDined on 9/25/2014Unique offerings, fresh ingredients, superbly executed dishes, attentive service, great environment... Enough said, well done!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/22/2014This restaurant is wonderful. Food is outstanding, service is excellent and the surroundings are beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!FoodisgoodDined on 9/20/2014We were a group of six women having a mom's night out. All agreed that the food (appetizers, salads, entrees, and dessert) and service were amazing. Parking is very convenient. If you're going to be a large party, ask ahead of time about splitting checks or bring cash.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fit for foodiesCaroleVIPDined on 9/20/2014A great find! Farm fresh, creative menu! Food outstanding and can't wait until our next visit.!Special Features:
- Eat hereCleveVisitorDined on 9/20/2014Absolutely recommend. Friendly helpful staff and great foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!SireatsalotDined on 9/19/2014Perfect portion sizes saturated with flavor- we had swordfish with braised turnips, amazing grilled peach salad, jerk squid- bluefish pate. So good we went back the next night and enjoyed dinner in the bar!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at LegumeJohnPVIPDined on 9/19/2014Saturday night dining at Legume was very pleasant. We had a relatively quiet table for 4 and were able to converse wthout any problem. Dinner was very nice. The pork special was excellent and every one was pleased with their meals. We recommend Legume, especially if you are looking for an interesting menu with new combinations from the chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantebfeatsDined on 9/19/2014The only reason I didn't give them 5 stars was because there was a mix up with my order and I wound up eating something I didn't really want. They made up for it by not charging us for my entree and dessert and bringing us an extra order of their yummy fries. All of our meals were delicious as were the desserts. The service was excellent. My family and I would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- exquisiteFiniDined on 9/17/2014The food was imaginative and divine, the service excellent. Who could ask for more?Special Features:
- Fair LegumeDr22Dined on 9/13/2014Good appetizers (plates to share) and salads; unacceptable lamb steak dinner; staff aloof and not accommodating.
- Second visit, very enjoyableblf56Dined on 9/13/2014We ate at Legume soon after it opened, and enjoyed it very much, so I was happy to go back again. The kitchen and the waiter were very accommodating, leaving out an ingredient I don't care for in my vegetarian dish, and careful to describe the cut of the lamb steak to my husband to be sure his expectations were in line with what they were serving. Service was not intrusive, but prompt and friendly. I enjoyed the combination of flavors and textures in my dish, which was well balanced.Special Features:
- Enjoyable experience!!BobPVIPDined on 9/13/2014Had been wanting to try Legume for some time, finally made it and really enjoyed the evening. Food was excellent, service was great. Will surely return again.Special Features:
- DisappointingGaryDined on 9/12/2014Having been to this restaurant before and having very nice experiences, it was unfortunate that this time it was less than stellar. Something seemed off with the kitchen as the service, although pleasant, was very sporadic and slow, and the quality of the food was not what we remembered from our previous visits. I will go back and try it again as I believe this was just an off night...I'm hoping, as, I used to love this restaurant. And, given the burgeoning competition in Pittsburgh as the new foodie destination, they need to be consistent and step up their game a bit.
- Once again, outstandingVapormedixDined on 9/11/2014We have gone to Legume Bistro several times in the last 6 months because they do a great job with creative "Farm-to-Table" cuisine. Our servers have always been very attentive and understanding of our needs. On a previous visit we had complained about the level of background music (which for some reason I cannot discern restaurants feel obligated to perpetuate), but this time the decibels didn't ramp up until right before we were finished. The entrance to the restaurant is a small maze of assorted doors which makes it challenging for wheelchairs users, but the staff is always very helpful in assisting our navigation. Also, we have always found on-street parking close by.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PickyVIPDined on 9/9/2014first trime for me...excellent Octupus salad..and corn soup. Entrees were delicious. we would go back in a heart beat.Special Features:
- Delightful experienceLadyMagnoliaDined on 9/6/2014The food was very creative and they deliciously accommodated my allergy. Our friends who are foodies also very much liked their food choices. Definitely will eat there again.Special Features:
- It never disappointssamanjanDined on 9/5/2014Whenever I want a special dinner out, and can plan ahead a bit for a reservation, I choose Legume. I have NEVER been disappointed in any aspect of dining there. I keep thinking that perhaps I've hyped it too much to friends I take there - and it's their first visit - but this past Friday night was true to form. They will definitely be back, too.Special Features:
- Always excellentZiggyVIPDined on 9/4/2014An outstanding restaurant in an otherwise mediocre dining region of Pittsburgh. A great place for lunch or dinner, for 1 to 12 people. Reliable, creative, pleasant, and reasonably priced.Special Features:
- A decadant BLT25straightDined on 9/2/2014I had the BLT, my companion had the "daily double" or whatever they called the Ravioli and salad. Both were excellent. The B in the BLT was so thick I didn't recognize it at first. The service was attentive when we wanted it and discreet when we didn't, great combination.Special Features:
- CMU nearbyCMUmomVIPDined on 8/23/2014There was a wide variety of different entree meats, pork, beef, chicken, fish with interesting preparation. There was however, only one fish entree which was not what I remembered from the online menu, and for me a little disappointing. The seared tuna entree was well prepared, but lacked the complexity I was otherwise anticipated in another fish choice. Portion size was appropriate, not too small, nor too large. Most fun was had with the small plates to start. Overall, a great place to take your college student and her friends for a close by, yummy, escape from college dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JMM1951Dined on 8/22/2014This restaurant is a 10 in my book. I have a monthly dinner I go to and this is the place for it. Don't pass this one bySpecial Features: