214 North Craig St.
Pittsburgh, PA 15213Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.legumebistro.com/
- Phone: 4126212700x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30 am - 2:00 pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00 - 9:00 pm; Friday & Saturday: 5:00 - 10:00 pm
Bar: Monday - Saturday: 4:30 pm - 12:00 am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Trevett Hooper
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Join us at Legume for your next business, social or family gathering! Our private dining room seats up to 12 people, making it ideal for an intimate dinner. Several menu options are available, including a custom chef's tasting menu.
- Private Party Contact: Sarah Hooper 4126212700x
- Cross Street: Bayard
- Public Transit: The 71C, 71A, 54 and 93 all stop at the intersection of N. Craig and Bayard. Additional buses stop at N. Craig and Fifth Ave., approximately 1 and 1/2 blocks south of Legume.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking is available in the garage across the street from Legume for $3 with a validated ticket.
Bicycle parking is available free of charge directly in front of Legume, or in the garage across the street.
A word from Legume
Located in North Oakland, Legume serves contemporary, seasonal American cuisine and a full service bar, the Butterjoint. Legume is now serving lunch Monday through Friday.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Legume - Best Restaurants in Oakland ›
Legume reviews from OpenTable diners
207 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (161)special occasion (115)neighborhood gem (98)romantic (59)good for groups (42)notable wine list (42)vibrant bar scene (41)great for lunch (31)hot spot (29)late-night find (11)great for brunch (6)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Fair LegumeDr22Dined on 9/13/2014Good appetizers (plates to share) and salads; unacceptable lamb steak dinner; staff aloof and not accommodating.
- Second visit, very enjoyableblf56Dined on 9/13/2014We ate at Legume soon after it opened, and enjoyed it very much, so I was happy to go back again. The kitchen and the waiter were very accommodating, leaving out an ingredient I don't care for in my vegetarian dish, and careful to describe the cut of the lamb steak to my husband to be sure his expectations were in line with what they were serving. Service was not intrusive, but prompt and friendly. I enjoyed the combination of flavors and textures in my dish, which was well balanced.Special Features:
- Enjoyable experience!!BobPVIPDined on 9/13/2014Had been wanting to try Legume for some time, finally made it and really enjoyed the evening. Food was excellent, service was great. Will surely return again.Special Features:
- DisappointingGaryDined on 9/12/2014Having been to this restaurant before and having very nice experiences, it was unfortunate that this time it was less than stellar. Something seemed off with the kitchen as the service, although pleasant, was very sporadic and slow, and the quality of the food was not what we remembered from our previous visits. I will go back and try it again as I believe this was just an off night...I'm hoping, as, I used to love this restaurant. And, given the burgeoning competition in Pittsburgh as the new foodie destination, they need to be consistent and step up their game a bit.
- Once again, outstandingVapormedixDined on 9/11/2014We have gone to Legume Bistro several times in the last 6 months because they do a great job with creative "Farm-to-Table" cuisine. Our servers have always been very attentive and understanding of our needs. On a previous visit we had complained about the level of background music (which for some reason I cannot discern restaurants feel obligated to perpetuate), but this time the decibels didn't ramp up until right before we were finished. The entrance to the restaurant is a small maze of assorted doors which makes it challenging for wheelchairs users, but the staff is always very helpful in assisting our navigation. Also, we have always found on-street parking close by.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PickyVIPDined on 9/9/2014first trime for me...excellent Octupus salad..and corn soup. Entrees were delicious. we would go back in a heart beat.Special Features:
- Delightful experienceLadyMagnoliaDined on 9/6/2014The food was very creative and they deliciously accommodated my allergy. Our friends who are foodies also very much liked their food choices. Definitely will eat there again.Special Features:
- It never disappointssamanjanDined on 9/5/2014Whenever I want a special dinner out, and can plan ahead a bit for a reservation, I choose Legume. I have NEVER been disappointed in any aspect of dining there. I keep thinking that perhaps I've hyped it too much to friends I take there - and it's their first visit - but this past Friday night was true to form. They will definitely be back, too.Special Features:
- Always excellentZiggyVIPDined on 9/4/2014An outstanding restaurant in an otherwise mediocre dining region of Pittsburgh. A great place for lunch or dinner, for 1 to 12 people. Reliable, creative, pleasant, and reasonably priced.Special Features:
- A decadant BLT25straightDined on 9/2/2014I had the BLT, my companion had the "daily double" or whatever they called the Ravioli and salad. Both were excellent. The B in the BLT was so thick I didn't recognize it at first. The service was attentive when we wanted it and discreet when we didn't, great combination.Special Features:
- CMU nearbyCMUmomVIPDined on 8/23/2014There was a wide variety of different entree meats, pork, beef, chicken, fish with interesting preparation. There was however, only one fish entree which was not what I remembered from the online menu, and for me a little disappointing. The seared tuna entree was well prepared, but lacked the complexity I was otherwise anticipated in another fish choice. Portion size was appropriate, not too small, nor too large. Most fun was had with the small plates to start. Overall, a great place to take your college student and her friends for a close by, yummy, escape from college dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JMM1951Dined on 8/22/2014This restaurant is a 10 in my book. I have a monthly dinner I go to and this is the place for it. Don't pass this one bySpecial Features:
- cmuJTDined on 8/22/2014Legume was an excellent venue for a first date. Though for most college students, the price is prohibitive at dinner, it is a worthwhile experience, and sitting across from a gorgeous princess, enjoying an evening without worrying about the experience of the dinner made everything worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always astoundingwhattocallmeDined on 8/21/2014Legume is my go-to place when I want a great dinner in Pittsburgh. It's where I take visitors. There are other good restaurants in town, but none is as consistently intriguing, creative, and satisfying as Legume. The interior is just right - tables are far enough apart that you feel alone with your companions. The waitstaff is present at just the right times and unobtrusively personable. The organic feel of the decor puts me at ease. The mixed drinks are always a delight.Special Features:
- Enjoyed LegumeStaugustinegirlDined on 8/20/2014We were searching for something more than the college favorites in Oakland and had a very nice meal at legume. It was priced as we expected for Farm fresh foods. The menu was varied and and well balanced for a range of appetites. The experience over all was great however the loud party next to us was a bit annoying. Live and let live!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/19/2014The food was fine but the service was remarkably bad for such a place. We made a reservation thru open table, we were seated by the kitchen and a wait station, tho there were a number of tables open elsewhere for our entire stay. Our waiter himself was ok, but declined in his interest in us when a couple of us ordered multiple starter plates and no entree. The remainder of the waitstaff was grumpy, bordering on rude when frequently passing by. The meal was uncomfortable.I would recommend this to a friend.
- No Points?JohnVIPDined on 8/18/2014We were notified that Legume would not give us the 100 points we normally receive for dining at an Open Table restaurant. We were given no explanation for this decision and are, of course, very disappointed. Can we receive our points?
- Hidden GemPittdadDined on 8/18/2014Terrific find just off the campuses of Pitt and CM. Excellent farm to table food. Good value for money. Would compare favorably to most "top end" restaurants from a menu quality and sophistication perspective. Will go back again and again with son now at PittSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overratedJimMcADined on 8/16/2014A hair in my salad that was not mine.... fish was done nicely, but small portion. The presentation was graceful but the placement of the fish over the food accompaniments was almost mix-mashed, making the separate favors hard to taste separately. We sat at a booth-type chair-bench with a table and the back was a hard, glossy varnish wood plywood...very uncomfortable. The other parties with me ordered braised pork ("so-so")and the stuffed ravioli was flavorful but, again, small portion. The waitress was nice and helpful, it was forever to get our check.
- legume reviewroseyreviewsDined on 8/15/2014Very nice restaurant with good service. The food is good but a little too refined/complicated. Would not recommend for anyone who is a picky eater.Special Features:
- New to PittsburghBirthdayGirlDined on 8/14/2014This is a real gem. The Oyster appetizer melted in your mouth. All of the entries were divine: Halibut, Tuna and Hanger Steak. The waitress was very attentive and provided background on the restaurant. I would recommend this for any special occasion dinner or just a night out for delicious dinner.Special Features:
- Gets Better and BetterCharlieVIPDined on 8/13/2014We have never had a bad meal at Legume and always look forward to new dishes that we had not experienced before. This time it was the velvety chilled beet soup with pickled cranberries and slices of red and gold beets. What an extraordinary dish! The homemade ravioli filled with creamy ricotta and laced with summer vegetables just melted in your mouth. I think the beautiful vibrant colors of the dish may have shown better if served on a larger plate. Finally, the service is always perfectly laid back, not overbearing and professional. Our server, Jacqueline was excellent as always. She is a gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOW!lovefinefoodDined on 8/9/2014We had a marvelous dinner this past Saturday night. I am only sad that we did not order the Talo Fries that I understand are to die for. The food was divine - I loved my Halibut and we devoured the squash blossoms and the beef tartar. Legume is now my new favorite restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Gluten Free MenuJonSDined on 8/9/2014High quallity food and knowledgeable service complemented by an excellent gluten free selection made it a great evening out for our family celebration.Special Features:
- ExcellentMrAndMrsPlumDined on 8/9/2014My wife and I went to Legume to celebrate our anniversary and we were not disappointed. Genuinely friendly service who were extremely attentive. Perfectly cooked food and an extensive and diverse wine list at a reasonable cost. Pittsburgh is becoming one of the best places for food and Legume is one of the reasons.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous foodie funcityflickerDined on 8/8/2014The food was impeccable. Three of us shared 5 small plates and sincerely enjoyed each unique dish. We had two bottles of affordable and delicious wine. It was a terrific evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My kind of placeWhalerDined on 8/8/2014Not only delicious, but creative and beautiful. We're from San Francisco and no strangers to great eating. (In other words, food snobs.) Legume compares very well, and has ingredients you just don't see in California. Terrific. Bar tender knew what she was doing as well.Special Features:
- Great place to take a friend!theateranddinnerDined on 8/7/2014What a nice midweek dinner with an out of town friend. Wonderful atmosphere, super nice and helpful wait staff and great food. I asked the waiter for some recommendations and he immediately gave us some great descriptions of the menu items and some personal insights to several dishes. As we moved up the menu to the starters, his eye lit up and a hint of a drool formed about the fried pickles. It was worth seeing his face in describing just that item. We did order those and they were quite good with a light crisp cornmeal batter and a fresh dill spear under (so now I am drooling a bit again). The chocolate cake is a must to end any meal!Special Features:
- Always a great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/7/2014Always love to see what they are doing with seasonal foods.Special Features:
- Awesome, as usualFriedaFVIPDined on 8/6/2014Always pleased with Legume. The highlight of this meal was the chocolate truffle cake. Unbelievable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/5/2014Great Menu, I enjoyed the coacktail list. One of my favorite Pittsburgh ResturantsSpecial Features:
- Delicious!MelzDinersDined on 8/2/2014Started with corn soup with chili oil and ended with cherry pie ice cream (real cherry pie chopped up in ice cream). Everything in between was great as well. Thoughtful staff, great food, perfect portions, and an inviting beer list all added up to a memorable evening. Will be back.Special Features:
- First visitSandyDined on 8/2/2014My visit to Legume was long awaited. The food and service were very good. I found the menu a little limited. I couldn't believe that they had no Pinot Grigio on their wine list. I can't remember the last time I was ever at a restaurant that didn't have it on their wine list.Special Features:
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/1/2014The restaurant was recommended by a friend. Our party was 7 and it would amazingly very smooth. Everything arrived on time and perfectly presented. I am sorry i did not write down her name but believe it was Jennifer, OUTSTANDING service. Paid attention to all of us and the detail of serving. The food was really unique with a flair and flavor not seen in most restaurants. HIGHLY recommend.Special Features:
- Go for the corn soupticketlucyDined on 8/1/2014Go now. Go anytime, for that matter. But don't miss what Legume does with the summer bounty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beating expectationsSmallthymeDined on 8/1/2014My wife and I had heard about Legume's fantastic burgers and we made a dinner reservation. We didn't realize at the time that the burger was on the lunch menu, and not available for dinner. We had a wonderful time regardless. The hanger steak was amazing and there were fantastic cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinner for 4DontgetoutmuchanymoreDined on 7/31/2014We had a very nice time as a family. I have been here before with a large group of friends. I love the beef, and we all ended getting that meal. The roasted spring onions were good, but hard to cut and eat, so some were left behind rather than struggle with that issue. I would suggest cutting them into 3rds. The beef was fabulous, but we were all very disappointed in the amount of mashed potatoes and sauce. I felt like you ran out of mashed potatoes and I have to say it really pulls that meal together well. I think I got maybe a tablespoon of potato. What's the story behind the blue ball jar?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another excellent dinnerNNU1Dined on 7/30/2014Once again, Legume was excellent. Service was efficient and very knowledgeable. Food was outstanding. We had chicken with chantarelles which were fresh and plump and tasty and also the tuna which was very well prepared. Dessert was a home made ice cream with fermented black rice that was one of the best desserts I have had in years.Special Features:
- First time for lunchdrwine15208Dined on 7/28/2014I had cold zucchini soup and then spaghetti with sweet onion pesto; both were excellent. My guest more traditional with a chicken/potato dish. Portions were lunch appropriate and waiter was attentive without being in our faces. I'll be back for more lunch.Special Features:
- thanksgood8hhDined on 7/26/2014Great job the food was good and service good. We were happy to be thereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.