558 Washington St
Boston, MA 02111Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.legalseafoods.com/restaurants/boston-legal-crossing
- Phone: (617) 692-8888
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 11:00am - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Wheelchair Access
- Public Transit: Orange/Red Line: Downtown Crossing Station
Green Line: Boylston Station
Orange Line: Chinatown Station
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Our validation will net you savings at the Lafayette Garage across the street at 1 Avenue de Lafayette. Weekdays before 4pm, get a $2/hour discounted rate for up to two hours. Or park for $12 on weekdays after 4pm and all day on weekends.
A word from Legal Crossing
Legal Crossing is an urban neighborhood restaurant inspired by the vibrancy of Downtown Crossing, then and now. It's a cross between all of the Legal Sea Foods concepts, evolved into a new, singular experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Legal Crossing - Best Restaurants in Downtown Crossing ›
Legal Crossing reviews from OpenTable diners
179 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (80)hot spot (53)neighborhood gem (52)good for groups (48)notable wine list (43)great for lunch (41)special occasion (37)vibrant bar scene (29)late-night find (28)romantic (22)great for outdoor dining (11)kid-friendly (8)scenic view (4)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Nice Addition to Downtown CrossingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/14/2014Anyone familiar with the area knows that this is definitely a neighborhood/area in transition. Had this opened in another Boston neighborhood, it would have been just another Legals. But it is a welcome addition here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So greatOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/11/2014I have been here 3 times now and have loved it more with each visit. Our server was fabulous!Special Features:
- Love it here, but bad nightmmmmVIPDined on 11/9/2014This is my go to place. Got the mussels., but they were undercooked. All white and slimy. Gross. The waitress was weird and would look at us strange every time she came over. No mints or tiny candies when leaving.Special Features:
- Not Your Average LegalsOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/7/2014The menu is different from other Legals. It is more eclectic. We loved the bang bang cauliflower appetizer. The grilled calamari was scrumptious. For entrees we both had the whole fish, which that night was grilled branzino. It had a little too much butter for my taste, but it was still quite good with an excellent side dish. One entrée arrived a bit undercooked. Our server took care of it quickly and the manager compensated us for the inconvenience with a free dessert. We had the profiteroles with brandy ice cream and, like the rest of the meal, it was delicious. Overall, we had an excellent meal and a pleasant experience. One thing that needs improvement: the bread basket. The one we had that night was somewhat lame.Special Features:
- disappointedbobrDined on 11/5/2014First, I was there for business lunch and the dinner experience may be different. I had the pork belly sandwich. In my opinion it was inedible. First, the bread is like a sub roll, so it is pretty large, but the amount of food inside is tiny - just a few pieces of pork belly and some cucumber. Eating it would have been mostly bread. I took the pork out and ate with a fork and left the bread. It was overwhelmed with spice that left me with an aftertaste the rest of the day. Very little pork. The side was slaw and potato chips, which weren't bad. Expensive too Bottom line - not in a rush to go backSpecial Features:
- goddandredGODDANDREDDined on 11/1/2014Although a little pricey, the appetizers, chowder, and entrees are excellent, and the wine list is also very good. For lovers of cheese, forget it, so in that respect it is not fit for foodies. Otherwise, it is excellent. The waiters are helpful, and we ordered a full bottle that we were unable to finish, and the bottle was seal-packed for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great option in Downtown CrossingwestenderVIPDined on 10/30/2014We dined with friends before the ballet. Service was good, flexible when we asked for a table away from the register, patient when our friends were delayed, and attentive when we told them of the 7:30 curtain. We all really enjoyed our meals, all fish - trout, salmon and swordfish. There is a nice wine list, by the glass, by the bottle and even some half bottles. No time for dessert even though a couple tempted us. Next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining ExperiencejohnadrianDined on 10/29/2014A must get is the . . . bang bang cauliflower . . . to die for :D A very great atmosphere for dining. Staff were greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food !MichelleVIPDined on 10/26/2014Great food, everything was delicious, right from the start. Congrats to the chef. And great service too. Good location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- full and happywb75VIPDined on 10/22/2014You're greeted with a friendly smile by the host, servers are knowledgeable and they accommodate dietary restrictions, what more would you want? The food is great too, gluten free calamari is amazing.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/21/2014Great food and wonderful pre-theatre option. Fish portion for cod dish was much larger than I expected. As a healthy eater, if I go back, I'd have a salad and share an entree with someone. For the price though, not cheap, it's nice that the portions are large.Special Features:
- Not up to parWinegingerDined on 10/18/2014When we tried to check in, we were told to wait at the seats for them to get a table ready. A half an hour later they came by and asked us if we are waiting for anything in particular, when they remembered. Service was her horrendous! And they were basically trying to make up for everything the whole time we were there. If the food had been spectacular, this might of been a better night, but it was just okay. Many people asked me how it was when I went to work, I told everyone I would never return.
- happy out of town guestsdrummerboyDined on 10/13/2014My group of 7 thoroughly enjoyed dinner. Excellent staff.Special Features:
- very disappointedKASIIVIPDined on 10/13/2014the food was decent, but the portion sizes on Apps for what they charged was unacceptable. $15 for 3 jumbo shrimp & $15 for a ridiculously small bowl of lobster soup ( it was cup portion in a bowl, total joke) not impressed enough to return, will stick with seaport venue & C BarSpecial Features:
- SkarmaSkarmaDined on 10/4/2014Vibrant restaurant near the Opera House in Downtown Crossing. The menu is eclectic with many choices of Legal's trademark seafood. The seafood Cobb salad was ginormous and tasty, while the chocolate mouse was to die for. Our server was knowledgable and attentive. I'll definitely go back to accompany theater, ballet and musical venues in the area.Special Features:
- Great dinnerwaalienDined on 10/3/2014Great dinner as always with the Legal Seafood chain. Excellent gluten free selections, and knowledgeable staff. Would recommend highly to anyone wanting a great seafood dinner.Special Features:
- open until latekjmnycDined on 10/2/2014We arrived to Boston late, and most of the restaurant were close to last order. This place accommodated us with delicious seafood and the atmosphere to stay up late.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HipTravellingFoodieDined on 9/29/2014Hipper version of Legal Seafoods. Menu is a little limited, but food was good. Had the lobster soup (very good!) and the seared scallops with beef ragout, which was a nice contrast. Sat at bar on a Monday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than Legal SeafoodsJonBDined on 9/28/2014Legal Crossing is part of the Legal chain, but it is significantly different from the other restaurants. The space is dark and modern. The vibe is hip. The cocktail list is creative and the bar stocks some real gems (e.g., Del Maguey Tobala Mescal). The menu blends seafood with Asian fusion and new American. This was our second visit, and it was very good. Be aware, though, that located directly across from the Paramount Theater, LX gets a significant pre-curtain rush. On the Sunday we visited, that cleared out at 6:30. It did mean that we had to sit right by the kitchen because we arrived early too. That wasn't a problem. We all loved the lobster soup. We all loved the fish. We'll still be back.Special Features:
- Not worth the moneyFoodfinderVIPDined on 9/28/2014We chose 'LX' for the location by the theatre (across the street), but that's all it had going for it. The menu was quite limited and pricey. Apps we ok. House salad was ruined by 'creative' dressing, clams ok. All four dinners were over salty. It's seafood. Why is the chef adding so much more salt? Trout, scallops, and clam dishes all not good. Service was spotty. Not worth our money. Not going back.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 9/27/2014The food was really good and service superlative. Thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never againPeteDined on 9/27/2014We arrived at 6:45 for a pre show meal. Ordered a salad (ok), seaweed salad(not available)& onion rings (inedible). We had also ordered main courses but by 7:50 we had to leave without eating except for bread. I had repeatedly asked what was happening and told that we would be served very soon which was untrue. There was an apology from the manager and no charge.
- Legal's Never DisappointsDebbyBDined on 9/27/2014I have been going to Legal Seafoods for many years. I have never had a bad experience. Their service and food are always excellent. I love the Bang Bang Cauliflower appetizer.Special Features:
- socialgalDined on 9/27/2014My sister and I were looking for a nice spot to eat dinner before seeing The Lion King on a Saturday night. We found it!! Legal Crossing was the perfect place for us to have a leisurely dinner and chat before the show. We are both seafood lovers and couldn't have been happier with our meals; not to mention the perfect floor to ceiling view of bustling Washington Street from our cozy table. From the warm bakery basket to the Shrimp appetizer and Wedge Salad; from the Roasted Cod and Trout Almondine; to the Profiteroles with Bourbon ice cream and warmed Chocolate Sauce - it was an outstanding meal! I would not hesitate for an instant to visit again. The friendly, welcoming wait staff was equally as warm as our food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Not our first time here and not our last. Korean rice bowl is to die for, service is impressive (never had to ask for anything and great conversation) they were busy but we felt like the only ones in the restaurant. Can't wait to go back! Wish others in the area were this reliably good. Already craving another rice bowl (get the tunA!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We Felt Special!DogMummyDined on 9/26/2014We made a dinner reservation at Legal Crossing as part of our anniversary celebration thinking it would be convenient to the Boston Opera House. Little did we realize that the theatre would not be the highlight of the evening! The restaurant and the staff's attention to making our anniversary special actually made our celebration! From the "anniversary wishes" waiting at our table to the complimentary appetizers to acknowledge our milestone to the yummy food, we didn't expect to WOWed. We returned to the restaurant for dessert and coffee (actually as a thank you on our part for making the evening special) only to be surprised by the complimentary sweets. WOW again - not expected - not necessary, but so appreciated! Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ambiance and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014The restaurant was way too cold even cooling down the food and the dinner plate. The food choices were very limited.Special Features:
- Great First ExperienceSamVDined on 9/24/2014Our friends recommended us to have dinner at this restaurant for our anniversary. We took the orange line to avoid traffic and it was just a short walk from downtown crossing T stop. The host sat us by the window where we were then greeted by the manger Reggie. He made the atmosphere warming by getting to know us which he then found out about our anniversary. We first ordered a half dozen oyster which were superb. My wife wanted to get more which we were then SURPRISED with complimentary oysters on the house. Our dinner meals were great and our experience were beyond expectations. You can’t ask for a better location and the walk after dinner to enjoy the scenery made our anniversary even better.Special Features:
- Legal CrossingPerkiDined on 9/24/2014We chose this restuarant because it was close to the Opera House. The food and service was excellent. The menu offered some unique choices, both our meals were flavorful and well prepared. The waitress was friendly and efficient. We will definitely return next time we are in Boston and would recommend it to anyone.Special Features:
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/24/2014Reggie and his staff are fantastic hosts! The atmosphere is just perfect for a dinner in town! Highly suggest you make a visit. Very convenient (across the street) from the Opera House. We had dinner prior to the show and back for dessert/coffee after the show.
- Need to work out the kinkschinDined on 9/23/2014Had a new waitress and wasn't that knowledgeable about food or wines. Forgot the olives in dirty martini . Ordered the soft she'll crab. Although delicious the accompanying banana didn't make sense. Crabs a bit soggy. Should have been fried a bit more. Took over 20 minutes to get my sorbet. If you offer port in which was not available offerings of cheeses should be part of the.menu. think chef over thinking menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Such a great mealOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/21/2014We had the best time here... Everyone from the hosts to the bartenders to the servers to the manager were just awesome!Special Features:
- pretty disappointedcindilexDined on 9/21/2014The food was just OK. I ordered something from the every day menu and was told that it was out of season and they didn't have it. I ended up ordering something else (everything tuna) the piece was too thick and pretty bland. My daughter had the linguini with clams and it left a lot to be desired. The wine in the sauce wasn't cooked off all the way so it was very overpowering(she didn't eat it). The clams were few and it had something else in it that was questionable, not even sure what it was but it was the consistency or a raw scallop. My husband got the aged steak and again, it was just OK. The side dishes and wedge salad were delicious though! Our waiter was present a lot in the beginning, then disappeared when we needed water.Special Features:
- Stellar FoodgoldybesnackinDined on 9/20/2014The food at Legal Crossing was exactly what should be expected of the Legal brand and more. The baked oysters were spot on. I also had the Oyster Trio, which i HIGHLY recommend. This was three shucked oysters with jalapeno, cucumber, and melon sorbet. Very unique, but I will get this every time I go. For dinner, I had the lobster which was prepared beautifully, and the rest of the dish fit perfectly. My girlfriend and mother had the LX Shrimp and Sockeye Salmon special. Both were fantastic. I will be going back!Special Features:
- UnderwhelmedOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/19/2014Restaurant is well located, the service was good, good beer choice, and nice atmosphere; however....the broccolini was undercooked and tasteless, and the Lobster in Butter dish was over-cooked. Everything around the dish was far better than the Lobster.
- Excellent!ExcellentDined on 9/19/2014The food was inovative and excellent. The service was top notch. I love dining in Boston, but have to say many city restaurants have slid in terms of food, value and service. Kudos to Legals for maintaining high standards, especially around service! It was a little hard to read the menus, the lighing is dim, and I was facing the bright lights of the theater - pretty to look at, but a little blinding when trying to read the menu.Special Features:
- Best fish tacoFoodLoverVIPDined on 9/18/2014LX is my lunch spot. There fish taco is great. The price is reasonable. I had the calamari as an appetizer and it was Devine.Special Features:
- Evening dinnerJeffJMDined on 9/17/2014We are repeat patrons. The food is consistently excellent and was again, the service overall was very good, although our server had a bit of attitude which detracted from the experience. I would recommend to others and return, though. The staff who helped with our table was very friendly and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lionkingdiningDined on 9/16/2014excellent food and ambiance before the show The seafood is up to typical Legal standardsSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 9/16/2014Our lunch was served quickly and the food was great. The server was friendly and reccomended great options. I will be back often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.