117 Perry Street
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://leftbanknewyork.com/
- Phone: (212) 727-1170
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday, 5pm-11pm
Friday and Saturday, 5pm-12am
Sunday and Monday 5pm-10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, American
- Executive Chef: Laurence Edelman
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Wine
- Catering: We do both on and off site, full service catering. We have the professional know-how to help make your event all that it can and should be.
- Special Events: Since our opening in 2011, we have hosted corporate holiday parties, bridal showers, business conferences, wedding receptions, birthday parties and anniversaries to name a few.
Consider our Private Cellar for parties of 20 people or less.
Email email@example.com, or call 212.727.1170 to get the ball rolling.
A word from Left Bank
Left Bank is at its core an American tavern, inspired by Greenwich Village itself, and influenced by European sensibilities. From our landmarked building in Manhattan's historic district, large bay windows on both sides reflect our open-book, unpretentious style of cooking and service. Our food is inspired by our local farmers, recipes of days gone by, and the relationships we have with our guests. Left Bank continues to evolve with an entrepreneurial spirit and a sincere desire to serve simple, wholesome, delicious food and drink to New Yorkers and passersby.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Left Bank reviews from OpenTable diners
84 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (56)fit for foodies (50)romantic (34)special occasion (17)good for groups (16)vibrant bar scene (16)hot spot (14)notable wine list (13)late-night find (8)scenic view (6)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (2)Show More
- Love This Placetheboys1VIPDined on 11/17/2014The capricci bolognese could bring you in there three times a week ! The menu changes , so the meat , chicken and fish have many different iterations, but all that I have had have been really good. The chicken is one of my favorites. There is often some kind of delicious brussel sprouts, whether as salad or hot vegetable, and the chicken liver pate with marinated cipollini onions is amazing. Someone I was with was really loving their oysters ! Wines are well chosen . The staff is attentive and not overbearing. Always a great nite out when I go there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow Waiter, SaltyOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/15/2014Squid was way too salty. Waiter was very slow getting our $50 bottle of wine. It was brought after we started appetizers Steak was excellent.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Left Bank ReviewcontinentalshadeDined on 11/11/2014Left Bank sits on a quiet corner of the West Village where's there's little traffic, which instantly makes the place feel like a find. The dining room is inviting and unfussy, the lighting is just about right and the food is both comforting and thoughtful. We split appetizers: a cow/goat cheese and the chicken liver pate. Both worked out great and the portions did just as they should: they whet our appetite without ruining the main course. For that, we decided on the brook trout and the pasta bolognese. The trout was moist and flaky, arriving deboned with a wonderfully charred skin. The pasta was house made with a balanced, slightly tangy meat sauce. The extensive wine list is well curated, all in all making for a solid, refined experience.Special Features:
- Slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/3/2014We waited too long for our drink order to be taken. The server waited to place our orders and the whole meal took way too long, which is too bad because the food is fantastic, but the waiter was missing most of the time.Special Features:
- A bit over pricedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/28/2014I found the total bill for four people was a bit over priced for what we got.Special Features:
- UnderwhelmedRemyDined on 10/25/2014Dinner at Left Bank on Saturday night. Not much good to report - with the exception of the pastas, food unimpressive; wine list limited and on the pricey side ; service slow and inattentive. All for local sourcing, etc but the food should be good.
- Mediocre food, but great service.ATNYCDined on 10/24/2014We were both disappointed in the food. We started with the brussel sprout salad, ok but not particularly flavorful. My friend had the pork and I had the whole trout. His pork was a bit dry and he didn't even eat the slaw that it came with. The fish was really really simple. I mean I love simple fish, but this had zero seasoning or flavor. Plus, the fish came with no vegetables or side at all. Nothing but the trout for $25. So I had to order the side of green beans. The beans were good, but they doused it with Dijon mustard sauce. The service was excellent though, from everyone. Super friendly, knowledgable, helpful, and on top of everything. And it's a cute atmosphere and bar area with a great wine list.
- Noisy with lousy serviceNickNYCVIPDined on 10/23/2014This was our second dining experience here. Only saving grace was the food being slightly above average. There was something completely wrong with the service and the acoustics in this space. They are really understaffed it seems and our server was clearly unable to handle the number of tables he was assigned to.
- Average Is As Average ServesGastrosonicDined on 10/21/2014Maybe my expectations were too high. Maybe the Chef wasn't "on". In any event, of the two main courses we ordered, one was good, the other not so much. A 50% avg on 2 dishes isn't going to help the place reach the 5-year "Drop Dead Mark," the common measure on whether a Ny restaurant will succeed or not. Left Bank has made it 3 years, but if our dinners are an indicator of the overall menu, I can't see them making it. I'm speaking specifically of the pork shoulder, which was dry, salty, and about as palatable as tree bark. When I can get a better pork shoulder from a Wafels & Dinges truck than a restaurant, it's not a good thing. The Squash Ravioli was a better choice. They make their own pasta, a definite plus. Dente, balanced, excellent.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/12/2014Loved this place! We had a wonderful meal with a fun and charming waiter. The ambiance was beautiful and radiated the warmth of a fall evening with small white candles and pumpkins. Loved it!
- Wonderful retreat in the W VillageTPDXVIPDined on 10/10/2014I am in NYC a lot for work and enjoy trying new places. During my most recent visit, I visited Left Bank, and I was very pleased. The waitstaff were very attentive without being cloying, and my guy knew his wines without any putting-on. Since I was traveling/dining alone, I was ordering wines by the glass. He was helpful and professional in every aspect and the food was sumptuous (the broccoli/white cheddar soufflé was delicious!).Special Features:
- the early bird special rocksbt10011VIPDined on 10/4/2014with an appetizer and pasta for $25 between 5-7 it's worth eating early. pair with the jalapeno margarita (not what it"s called, but what it is) for a surprisingly good novelty drink (just $6). the food is really good, foodie good actually. the atmosphere pleasant. a real treat when you are in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Another great eveningBishbamVIPDined on 10/2/2014The food is spectacular and the service was flawlessSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/11/2014I love the atmosphere at this restaurant and have been there several times, both for dinner or simply to have a drink at the bar with a friend. Tonight I had the most wonderful appetizer - the swiss chard cake. It was more like a soufflé and served with roasted garlic on top, yum, yum. Even my friend who was with me, who does not normally like swiss chard, loved it. Oh, and the brownie desert was to die for - more like a light molten chocolate cake.Special Features:
- Returning soonChrisVIPDined on 8/28/2014Fantastic service for my table of 3. After the meal was finished, we weren't rushed at all and were allowed to stay for a few more hours. Lovely staff, imaginative menu, great food & fun cocktails.Special Features:
- Discerning DinerDiscerningDinerVIPDined on 8/21/2014I visited this restaurant with my wife and young adult children (19 and 16), all of whom live in Madrid. We've got over not having wine served to our children (new but not such a big deal - mainly because it has never been taboo and therefore never overly desirous on their part) but not the noise levels of the average no-music, not a sports bar locale. The food and service were both adequate but the dining experience was, quite frankly, ruined by the sheer volume that a relatively small number of patrons are capable of producing in this place. This was all the more surprising given that we specifically chose the place on the basis of some source that mentioned conversation was possible. Normally food is our only concern, here noise is too.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/18/2014Wonderful spot for Happy Hour. Great wine and loved the pasta with bolognese.Special Features:
- Always excellent food, great vibe!msbnyVIPDined on 8/17/2014Left Bank is a charming restaurant with a great menu and great staff. We've been here numerous times, on our own, with friends and family and have arranged some fantastic birthday celebrations. The food is inventive with seasonal additions/changes. The chef knows how to cook all proteins beautifully as well as everything else. This recent visit most of us had pasta dishes and they were fantastic. I had a swiss chard souffle appetizer and it was excellent. I could have had several! I must add the August Sunday night movie events are awesome!!! What fun. Will be back soon.Special Features:
- lovely eveningMarylandFoodieDined on 8/10/2014I would heartily recommend Left Bank for a special dinner. The nicoise pasta salad and the swiss chard cake were delicious, 2 items I haven't seen elsewhere. In addition, the staff was very flexible when I showed up >1 hour late due to subway issues.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best NYC Rest.Week MealsplatespottingVIPDined on 8/5/2014Came for Restaurant Week Aug. 2014 and was thoroughly impressed with food and drink. Started with a cocktail, International Stud - delicious and refreshing minty gin concoction. For dinner both my friend and I had the steak tartare - wonderful. For dinner, my friend had the capricci bolognese which was cooked al dente - excellent choice. When I thought nothing could top that flavor, I tasted my order: the bavette steak - divine! The meat was cooked to absolute medium rare perfection. The butter was a bit salty so I probably should not have used all of it. Nonetheless, an excellent meal! Will definitely come back and with more people even after Restaurant Week is done! New favorite in the West Village!Special Features:
- LuekiDined on 8/1/2014The service was great; the waiter remembered my special request, which I made for my friend's birthday to bring a dessert with some special surprise they offered. Although my friend picked other dessert than I originally picked, he brought her picked one with a candle. I was amazed his service. But her main course, pasta was so hard like a rock,much harder than al dente.She didn't enjoy the food.
- Left Bank Great Place!!ProsperoXDined on 8/1/2014Love the corner neighborhood location. The ambience is well thought of. The service was great. The food presentation was inviting as was my overall dining experience was. My palette was enjoying every part of the meal from the appetizer to the desert! Appreciated restaurant week participator. Great place!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Getting popularEatOutOftenVIPDined on 7/30/2014And deservedly so. We dine at Left Bank at least once a month, and the food is always good, with plenty of new and interesting options on the menu every time we go. It's been a bit noisy the last few times, but that's for obvious reasons. We'll continue to dine at Left Bank despite the uptick in volume.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely spot in the VillageKyBeDined on 7/30/2014Went during Restaurant Week; the menu was simple but creative. The food was delicious. Definitely leave room for dessert! Service was professional and attentive. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/29/2014Really enjoyed the food, the wine pairings, the cocktails and the staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- slow despite an empty restaurant.NrcnycDined on 7/28/2014Tried this out for restaurant week. The food was tasty but for an empty restaurant the service was very slow. Our drinks came out with the apps only after asking 3 people about where they were. We waited a long time between courses - could understand if it was crowed but only 3 tables were taken in the dining area. Wouldn't return.
- The following 259 reviews are from the Left Bank reviews archive.
- jsalVIPDined on 7/28/2014Went here for Restaurant Week dinner. I'm surprised by the good reviews as I thought the food was not good at all. We tried 4 different appetizers, 3 entrees and all 3 desserts. The steak tartare was tasteless. The giant shells nicoise was undercooked. If you really have to eat here, I recommend the chicken entree and the chocolate brownie. Not impressive but not as bad as the others. Service was slow and inconsistent. Some staff were apologetic, others indifferent. The place was nice but the acoustics need improvement.
- Another Great ExperiencecupojoeDined on 7/28/2014I've dined here several times, this time to bring associate for her first visit. The service was attentive, food exceptional and the overall experience memorable. This is one of Buffalo's best restaurants!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice little gemMarcyJoeDined on 7/25/2014My husband and I went here for the first time because of restaurant week. Everything was delicious and fresh. The service staff was great and attentive. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2 for 2OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/25/2014I've been here twice now and both times the food was just delicious, the service friendly, conscientious and impeccable and the whole meal just a delight. I feel confident there will be a third time.Special Features:
- The food was impeccable.bkbijouDined on 7/24/2014nothing that we ordered that was anything less than astounding. We came for restaurant week. I had the tomato salad (amazing !) my friend had the fish soup (she is picky and was cooing, "yum" the entire time). mains I had the Farfelle mushroom pasta (rich but not overfilling, the pasta is homemade and light and fluffy). She had the fish, It had a crusty outside and moist flaky inside. For desert we had the brownie a la mode and the little icecream filled donut things. The brownie was so rich I probably had 3 bites. It made a wonderful treat to go with afternoon tea the next day. My friend was not as impressed with the mini donut things but I honestly think its because we were over stuffed. Service was attentive. Crowd was stuffySpecial Features:
- friendly and welcomingEugeneHDined on 7/23/2014We had wonderful evening - friendly, welcoming staff and the waiter really took care of us. The iron roasted chicken was excellent. We would definitely consider a return visit.Special Features:
- Extra Al DentaBwitzDined on 7/23/2014I went here during restaurant week, so admittedly volume was high and prices were low, but I thought the experience was a bit disappointing. I ordered a giant shells with tuna dish, and the noodles were totally undercooked. The meal had promise, but the grainy noodles ruined it. I was with my dad who got chicken and this was actually delicious. I probably ate as much of his dish as I did of mine. As for the service, it was not exactly attentive. It was restaurant week and we didn't order any drinks, but still... we spent a long time waiting around for our waiter to check on us. This restaurant has potential, but with the number of faux pas committed that night I'm not sure it's worth a second visit.
- Good food, ehh decorOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/22/2014We went for Restaurant Week and chose the restaurant based on location more than anything else. The rest of my party was 15 minutes late but the host was very accommodating and set me up with a drink. When the rest of them arrived, we were seated immediately. The food was fairly good, the portions maybe a little small. I think the thing I didn't love was the decor- the chairs had animal print on them? And the restaurant is on such a nice street but there are hardly any windows. So great food, good drinks, great service, in need of a decorator.Special Features:
- particularly good for early birdstriviumDined on 7/15/2014It's a lovely restaurant. The food and service were both great. The dining room feels like a restaurant for grown-ups, if that makes any sense. It does tend to get too loud, though, so there's a benefit to going early.Special Features:
- Another West Village GemEthylAlcoholDined on 5/28/2014I can't get enough of this neighborhood. Another flawless dining experience. I ordered an exquisite ravioli dish, but it seems like everything is delicious.Special Features:
- Solid AllroundMaritandAndrewDined on 5/27/2014We had seen Left Bank reviews and had walked past the place and thought it looked cosy and local. The food was fine.... nothing outstanding but generally good, for the price we thought it was reasonable. There was a birthday / work celebration going on whilst we were there which was probably a bit of a distraction. The service was OK.... but again nothing special. Thought it was a nice place to go for a week night out but probably wouldn't recommend it for a special occasion.
- OutstandingRocketVIPDined on 5/24/2014An absolutely wonderful dining experience. The food, the service, the atmosphere were just extraordinary. Our server Daniel was just the absolute best. So glad we have such a special place in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- limitedBethVIPDined on 5/15/2014Very limited selection of entrees and none were enticing. The appetizers and small plates were more interesting.
- hidden gem in west villageValFromParisVIPDined on 5/8/2014We went for dinner to this place, it was our first time. The food is great and they have a really nice wine list!Special Features: