L'Ecole- Restaurant of the International Culinary Center
New York, NY 10013Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $50 and over
L'Ecole- Restaurant of the International Culinary Center
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.lecolenyc.com/
- Phone: 2122193300x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00 pm - 2:00 pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday 5:30 pm - 9:45pm
Brunch: Saturday - 11:00 AM - 3:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Contemporary French
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: L’Ecole at the French Culinary Institute can accommodate up to 80 guests for a private booking of the restaurant. Please contact us for additional details.
- Private Party Contact: Arthur Francescp 6462547551x
A word from L'Ecole- Restaurant of the International Culinary Center
Behind every meal at L’Ecole is the passion and dedication of a team of exceptional Chef-Instructors and students from every corner of the school. As a true collaboration between the Culinary, Pastry, and Bread departments at The French Culinary Institute, L’Ecole is where the skills and training of our students shine through in thoughtfully prepared and elegantly presented dishes created with the finest and freshest seasonal ingredients.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
L'Ecole- Restaurant of the International Culinary Center reviews from OpenTable diners
325 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (185)special occasion (146)great for lunch (122)neighborhood gem (98)romantic (75)notable wine list (68)good for groups (57)great for brunch (35)hot spot (18)kid-friendly (12)late-night find (9)great for outdoor dining (9)scenic view (5)vibrant bar scene (4)Show More
- good experiencetraveltogoDined on 9/24/2014the restaurant was attractive, the food was presented well. there was a nice selection of choices for appetizers and entrees. the food was tasty. It was a peasant experience. the wait staff just need to remember to remove a n empty dish before putting down a new one.Special Features:
- Wonderful Dinner in SoHo!dekadayeDined on 9/20/2014The food was great and the seating and decor very welcoming and comfortable. The service a little slow, but everyone was friendly. I also really appreciated that the restaurant isn't too loud to hold a conversation.Special Features:
- Great place for dinnerAlDenteDined on 9/20/2014We celebrated my wife's birthday here and we had a good time and enjoyed our imaginative dishes.Special Features:
- Going to School Can be FunbobbarbaraVIPDined on 9/19/2014After a few years absence my wife and I returned to L'Ecole for lunch. We now can't imagine what took us so long to return to this restaurant. It is bright as well as airy with high ceilings and the tables are very well spaced therefore giving us room to appreciate the wonderful open space. You are given a choice of a 2 or 3 or 4 course lunch which are all moderately priced. There are many menu selections and our table of four enjoyed our selections. Last but DEFINITELY not least is the service provided by young men and women who are committed to the field of the culinary arts. Not enough can be said of our server,Sid,whose knowledge re: food and wine along with his gracious manner in helping us make menu choices was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great valueddelightDined on 9/17/2014If you like interesting food at decent prices then this is a place to comeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not much espectacularMondayreservationDined on 9/15/2014Went for dinner with my partner. My appetizeer was too light, my main course (monkfish) over cooked and dry and my dessert was just a muffin with cream. Service nice, but i expected more (still wondering why there is a hostes: a nice young lady going around the restaurant; waiters chatting at the bar instead of attending tables). Otherwise, my partner really enjoyed, so maybe i had bad luck.Special Features:
- As Always Excellent FoodTheShooter1981Dined on 9/15/2014Food is excellent, but I really wish some of their wait staff would lighten up a little bit. So overly and unnecessarily formal.Special Features:
- Deceiving tasteless foodAlexbeeDined on 9/13/2014I'm very deceived. I had good memories from a visit 20 years ago with my French friends but it changed a lot ... The food was tasteless and pricey. The best thing I can say from the place was the bread and the French wine I ordered . No French food there and I actually feel sorry for the students of this school. Keep awaySpecial Features:
- Worst dish ever... bewareslc4VIPDined on 9/8/2014I've been here multiple times, each time the food was good. This last time, however was incredibly disappointing. The service was very slow, not to mention the cavatelli appetizer was literally inedible. A very disappointing experience. The waiter never came to the table to check on how we were enjoying any of our dishes. Had he done that, he would have known right away that I had an issue with my appetizer, instead of coming to clear that course and THEN bothering to ask me if everything was ok. Overall a disappointing experience at an otherwise trusted restaurant.Special Features:
- Disappointing foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014We were expecting this place to be quite good based on a Zagat review, but the food was pretty disappointing given the price - I know these are trainee chefs but I would have expected a professional to check what was sent out. The potato gratin I had was so burnt I couldn't cut it, and the smoked salmon was tasteless and needed some lemon and/or seasoning. The gnocchi was overcooked and in a wet sauce, although the rabbit tasted nice with it. The dessert was the best bit, a chocolate tart that tasted really good without too much sweetness, with an ice-cream that was also good. Shame about the first two courses though. Although the waiters also seemed to lack some confidence, the service was good and timely.
- DisapointmentBillDined on 9/5/2014For many years as I would drive by the restaurant and comment "I want to eat there". It was not worth the wait. They seated us on time ,and the waiter explained the menu very well. The bread was cold ,the Pork Chop could NOT be cut with a sharp knife. The restaurant did not charge for the entre and the Bill was still $100+ for two with 1 drink each.
- Food is okayFrequentdinerDined on 9/3/2014Food is okay but not worth travelling out to. You can really get the sense that the lunch meal was not prepared by professionals but I am aware of that to start with. A little pricey for the food quality.Special Features:
- Very disappointedrdelacreDined on 8/30/2014No culinary art, lack of passion, taste mismatches... I am used to the Institut Paul Bocuse in Lyon (France) and I can't compare the two restaurants because there is such a gap - an abyss I must say . Having fairly great products to cook and making so many mistakes tastewise is a non-sense to me. The bad experience starts with the amuse-bouche: oily, vinagery, it would be a good dressing for a salad but not an amuse-bouche! The smoked salmon (almost none smoked) was on top of a potato galette... Claiming yourself a culinary center, raise the bar please! I will not comment the rest of my 7-course dinner, you get the point here.
- Great experience!CoriDined on 8/30/2014Went there for a brunch w/ an 18 yr old friends' daughter, introduction on french cooking/food. She loved the creme brulee. I made a mistake on adding up my tip, i didnt call them as im embarassed, but i check my transactions on my credit card & they only add up 20%. Honesty! Been there several times,bring friends & family who comes to visit NY. Attentive wait staff & professional.Special Features:
- Good local eery.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/29/2014Nice choices on the prix fixe menu. many seafood choices available. good service and a reasonable wine list. You can bring your own bottle on Mondays which is a plus.Special Features:
- Best Anniversary Dinner EverfamcuttDined on 8/28/2014Arthur and the crew at L'Ecole made our dining experience something to remember! With a family of four we made sure to order something different for each of us and we were able to try much of the menu. Every single bite, app, dinner, dessert, was delicious! Even my 13 year old picky daughter tried everything and liked it all. The flavors and presentation show the culinary artists expertise, and the portions were perfect as well (not too small). The wine pairing was enjoyable, and there were special non-alcoholic drinks for the kids. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AN AMAZING DINING EXPERIENCEali66Dined on 8/22/2014I LOVE L'ECOLE...THE FOOD IS EXEPTIONAL & SERVICE IS SUPERB...I HAVE BEEN DINING THERE FOR YEARS..ITS MY FAVORITE NEW YORK RESTAURANTSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Carefully constructed cuisineFrigginfabfoodDined on 8/20/2014I love this place!!!!! The students are really trying to get it right so they put so much care into the flavor of the food and into the presentation of the food it's hard for it to go wrong. The waitstaff are knowledgeable and take a special interest in your needs. The manager comes to check on you and the hostess does as well. My water glass was never empty. It is not super special in terms of decor but it is well lit so there is still a pleasant ambiance. I have been here twice now and both times I thought I need to come here more often. It is wonderful for the amount of money it costs too! Actually it is better than the more costly restaurants. Plus it is right in Soho. What a gem. YOU MUST COME HERE! You will not be dissapointed.Special Features:
- Anniversary celebrationpinkdivaDined on 8/20/2014We really loved the food and wine! I've been wanting to eat here for many years. I'm glad we went for such a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best food ever.LorraineDined on 8/18/2014Best dining experience ever. From the staff to the food it was amazing. The duck and halibut was to die for. Will definitely be dining here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- K&BOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/15/2014We celebrated our 44th anniversary at L'Ecole and we're not disappointed.Special Features:
- SophisticatedRedvelvetDined on 8/15/2014White cloth tablecloths ,Ella and Louis, good food and service at a fair price I felt it was an adult experience. I so appreciated a tolerable noise level. The menu choices all sounded so good I will have to return. Service was Good and the food was too. Even got amuse bouche I was very happy with my lunch and will definitely return with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great first experienceSwtSaphiyaDined on 8/15/2014The staff at L'Ecole were friendly and welcoming. We were seated at the time of our reservation, and the service was great. Our food came out in a reasonable amount of time and everything was delicious. It was a nice little escape amongst the hustle and bustle of SoHo. Really enjoyed our experience and will definitely go back, maybe for my birthday! =DSpecial Features:
- AnnaVIPDined on 8/15/2014food and service were both excellent- great explanation by serverSpecial Features:
- One of my favorites!SharonVIPDined on 8/15/2014L'Ecole is definitely one of my favorites in NYC. The menu is unique and every item sounds great. And it tastes delicious. I had the duck last time and the hanger steak this time. Both were superb. For dessert I had peach upside down cake... I am not a big dessert eater but this was beyond even my imagination. The service is very professional and attentive. A great spot to eat at...I look forward to my next eating adventure there..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/14/2014For a party of five, we had the room up front in window. Very quiet. Service was fair, but sometimes we felt like the servers forgot that we were there. In general, food and service was good.
- Beautiful and deliciousLizBDined on 8/13/2014All of the dishes were beautiful and expertly presented. On top of that they were all delicious and prepared perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/13/2014This was not my first time there; unfortunately the food is not what it used to be. The service was also extremely slow.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/13/2014This was a wonderful find. It was culinary magic! We enjoyed everything we ordered and our server was terrific and thorough.Special Features:
- Horriblefoodie4lifeDined on 8/13/2014I cannot describe just how awful this was, the food was too spicy, the ravioli was sour, the soft shell crab too salty. Unacceptable.
- Nicely doneCity124Dined on 8/12/2014My guest and I weren't too thrilled in the beginning of our restaurant experience due to the hostess and the waiter. The hostess forgot that we were sitting at the bar as they suggested as a place to wait for a table to be prepared, however, not until I approached at 8:06 PM did they remember we were their waiting (out of sight out of mind... I guess). My guest and I were 15 minutes earlier than our 8 PM reservation and weren't seated until 8:13 PM. Once seated, the waiter seemed a bit overwhelmed with other tables he tended to in the beginning but as the tables that he monitored lessened, his attention to our service needs increased. The rest of the evening went well (food, wine, dessert, noise level).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- better than expectedEnnaDined on 8/12/2014What a nice surprise - preparation was perfect. Pinot noir was delightful. Great experience overall.Special Features:
- Marie5180Marie5180Dined on 8/12/2014L'Ecole International Culinary Centre was awesome. Was delighted to try l'Ecole during restaurant week in NY. Was not disappointed. Started with an asparagus mousse-tart. While the asparagus mousse was perfection, silky and creamy smooth, but placed in a bed of chorizo oil with roasted almonds did not compliment the dish at all. Chose the duck magret as the main, cooked to medium rare perfection on top of wine infused mushrooms and baby dandelion greens topped with crispy duck skin. Again, could have used far less oil on the plate. Dessert divine, an upside-down peach cake with orange ice-cream sitting on almond dust. Would recommend pairing the meal with their wine selection. Awesome gourmet experience.Special Features:
- Wonderful as always!innaVIPDined on 8/12/2014It was wonderful as always! Service was outstanding! Thank youSpecial Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/11/2014I honestly thought that there would be some standout but I think the only thing I really loved was the orange rind ice cream of the whole four course meal. I found everything just mediocre. Unfortunately....Special Features:
- Amazing food and winefoodienyclaDined on 8/11/2014We went for NYC Restaurant Week. The food was exceptional and the wine pairing with each course as wellSpecial Features:
- great dinnerEddieDined on 8/11/2014Fabtastic meal and service will come back again. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tres bienLuvfoodDined on 8/11/2014From the moment we arrived the service was excellent we started with corn breaded soft shell crab which was great. Then I enjoyed the halibut with bee aide sauce while my husband had the crispy duck. He said his was excellent as was mine. The fish so fresh and the sauce superb. I didn't try the duck but he said best he's ever had not fatty or gamy tasting. We finished our meal with Cyrene brûlée which was also excellent. Our friends also enjoy this place and they travel to France routinely. We will return and I encourage you to try it if you enjoy French food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NYC restaurant Weekeasy2chewDined on 8/11/2014the food was only worth three stars at best. I was disappointed at how the food tasted. Food was really bland and lacked of flavors. I expect something more than bland food when paying $130 for the dinning experience. The service was great and the ambience was good for couples.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ShauVIPDined on 8/11/2014Went for restaurant week lunch, good selection of all three courses, beautifully prepared and presented, will returnSpecial Features: