L'Ecole- Restaurant of the International Culinary Center
New York, NY 10013Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $50 and over
L'Ecole- Restaurant of the International Culinary Center
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.lecolenyc.com/
- Phone: 2122193300x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00 pm - 2:00 pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday 5:30 pm - 9:45pm
Brunch: Saturday - 11:00 AM - 3:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Contemporary French
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: L’Ecole at the French Culinary Institute can accommodate up to 80 guests for a private booking of the restaurant. Please contact us for additional details.
- Private Party Contact: Arthur Francescp 6462547551x
A word from L'Ecole- Restaurant of the International Culinary Center
Behind every meal at L’Ecole is the passion and dedication of a team of exceptional Chef-Instructors and students from every corner of the school. As a true collaboration between the Culinary, Pastry, and Bread departments at The French Culinary Institute, L’Ecole is where the skills and training of our students shine through in thoughtfully prepared and elegantly presented dishes created with the finest and freshest seasonal ingredients.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
L'Ecole- Restaurant of the International Culinary Center reviews from OpenTable diners
312 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (180)special occasion (134)great for lunch (121)neighborhood gem (92)romantic (68)notable wine list (61)good for groups (55)great for brunch (37)hot spot (18)kid-friendly (12)late-night find (8)great for outdoor dining (8)scenic view (7)vibrant bar scene (4)Show More
- Food was good, wine pairing badFoodappreciatorDined on 10/20/2014I love L'Ecole and the ICC and have dined there many times before. I've noticed that the prices have gone up recently and that their wine pairing has gone down. Food was great, though some components of the dishes seemed like they were made way in advance. I'd chosen the Grande wine pairing (most expensive) which is supposed to be very special vintages and pair perfectly with the 3/4 course menu you choose. I was disappointed with the selections overall. Only one wine was great with my entrée, overall not a good value. Hope they work to improve this in the future.Special Features:
- Regular foods better serviceoldfashioneuropeDined on 10/18/2014I took to dear friends to the Ecole and we chose the 4 courses menu. Only regular, at least 1 of the appetizers and the entrée were cold. I mentioned to the waiter. The service was nice, better than the foods.Special Features:
- a great moment!lagreudDined on 10/17/2014having lunch there was again awesome, the food is delicious, the wines equally good, service very nice though a little too quick to switch plates for us to really linger on the food tasting… we'll come back anyway!Special Features:
- Great birthday lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014The food was delicious, the service excellent. An excellent way to spend a special birthday.Special Features:
- get the prix fixe!insomnicatDined on 10/13/2014My partner ordered the 3 course with Grande wine pairing. I ordered the 4 course with grande wine pairing. 3 course was enough. All the wines we tasted were delicious. I had the best butternut squash soup and sweetbreads ever in my life. The whole experience was wonderful and I would definitely go back again for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Conscientious staff!BillDined on 10/10/2014I learned the professional "teaching" chefs cook up until 8pm, then the students take over. We were caught up in the change over when our dessert was selected, one dessert arrived timely the other arrived much later. The management staff and serving staff were very apologetic and eager to make it right, they waived our corkage fee, very thoughtful and appreciated. This is our third dinner, we come to NYC once a year from sunny California. Always a treat to dine at L'Ecole.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slightly disappointed!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/6/2014This is the second time we ate at L'Ecole. We were so impressed the first time that we came back again. The food looked pretty but, lacked distinct and interesting tastes. The entree was not hot enough, and the drinks were not delivered at the same time. I am hesitant to return a third time.Special Features:
- Always enjoyableDebbieBDined on 10/4/2014I liked the prix fixed menu and with four of us we got to try a wide variety of dishes. We were all pleased with our choices and the tastes we had of each other's dishes. Plus we toured the kitchen and heard about the student's experiences. Everyone was friendly and professional. Try it, you will like it!Special Features:
- NicknameVIPDined on 10/4/2014Because L'Ecole is part of a school that trains students for careers in food service, the restaurant can stumble. But it has many, many more hits than misses. Several of the teachers, after all, are top-ranked culinary stars who, if they were still running their own restaurants, would charge twice the price of a meal at L'Ecole. Lunch or dinner at L'Ecole is usually fun -- and frequently delicious. A recent dinner was both.I would recommend this to a friend.
- delahoyazamoraDined on 10/4/2014Not only foods, but also their bread is delicious.Special Features:
- Celebration central!mathmomkdsDined on 10/4/2014We returned to L'Ecole to celebrate my son's birthday and his engagement. My daughter discovered L'Ecole several years ago when she lived in Soho for the summer. When they ate at L'Ecole to celebrate moving to the neighborhood, she and her roommate were treated royally, given extra desserts, and sent home with their delicious bread as a welcome to the neighborhood. Once again, we were treated wonderfully for our celebrations, with delicious food, an attentive staff, and a general festive evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good presentation bas tastefrench74Dined on 10/2/2014When we discovered this place we Thought it was a very good place to taste a new plate. Unfortunetly it was not. There were too much oil in all the plate, the mahi mahi fish had a lak of flavour, the fries were too cooked and finally the price too expensive for this expérience as we had as well to pay an extra 6$ for the sides. However the service was perfect.Special Features:
- A FINE TASTE FRENCH RESTAURANT!VALTENNESSEEDined on 10/2/2014Our lunch was "succulent", delicious and tasty. Congratulations to the Students and their Master Chef teachers for the quality of their meals! Thank you for the Waiters who took care of us and did a great job. The meals elaborated by the Chefs are wonderful at a very bargain price for the high quality of the ingredients used and the passion provided by the cooks for preparing our plates. The homemade pork pate was awesome, then the Arctic char was cooked perfectly as the Branzino fish so tasty, the French baguette cooked at the Ecole has the exact same taste than the ones sold in France! Same consistency: crunchy outside, soft mie inside. A pleasure! We would suggest the candied pineapple lemon custard pie...it is just the best tart!Special Features:
- Wonderful dinnerNelsonDined on 10/1/2014My wife and I had dinner on a Wednesday night at 6:00. We had a nice table next to the window facing Broadway. The service was excellent as was the food. We both started with the Escargot and Mushroom Fricassee. Then she had the Duck Breast and I had the Branzino. We have been meaning to come here for a while, but this was our first visit. We look forward to returning soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gone DOWN HILLOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/30/2014Since this school has changed hands the quality of food and service has gone waaaay down hill. I used to eat here often, many years ago and decided to try it again after moving out of NYC. What a disappointment!! Skunky-tasting meat, bland salad and overly buttery escargot. Thank god for wine and dessert. The servers don't speak English well, the host/hostess never walked the room and asked about our experience and there clearly was a lapse in service. At 7:30 pm there were only 3 tables the entire time we were there. At 9:30 pm we left and there was still no other guests the entire time and this was a Friday night!
- Outstanding.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/29/2014Three of us had a lovely lunch. Service was gracious and attentive without hovering. Food was amazing- attractive as well as tasty. I had the country pate and the seared duck. The carrot puree with the duck was so wonderful I could have had a bowl of just that! Everyone friendly and helpful.Special Features:
- Definitely worth it!!Live2dineDined on 9/26/2014A delightful culinary experience! Service was flawless. Ambiance a bit lacking, l'Ecole could use some sprucing up! But even so, I will definitely be returning.Special Features:
- Expectations always exceeded....Mimi2525Dined on 9/26/2014Our group arrived a bit early, were greeted warmly, and seated in the front room, which was much appreciated. Generally, I seek quiet and was particularly appreciative to get the table in this quieter area, as my husband and I were entertaining friends from Italy. The food was excellent, beginning with a delicious crab cake amuse bouche. (Despite a bit of an allergy to crab, I could not resist and it was worth it. ) The service was stellar, contributing, finally, to our entire experience being stellar, as well. Although I do not get to NYC as often as I would like, I do not see ever going without at least one dinner at L'Ecole.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good experiencetraveltogoDined on 9/24/2014the restaurant was attractive, the food was presented well. there was a nice selection of choices for appetizers and entrees. the food was tasty. It was a peasant experience. the wait staff just need to remember to remove a n empty dish before putting down a new one.Special Features:
- Wonderful Dinner in SoHo!dekadayeDined on 9/20/2014The food was great and the seating and decor very welcoming and comfortable. The service a little slow, but everyone was friendly. I also really appreciated that the restaurant isn't too loud to hold a conversation.Special Features:
- Great place for dinnerAlDenteDined on 9/20/2014We celebrated my wife's birthday here and we had a good time and enjoyed our imaginative dishes.Special Features:
- Going to School Can be FunbobbarbaraVIPDined on 9/19/2014After a few years absence my wife and I returned to L'Ecole for lunch. We now can't imagine what took us so long to return to this restaurant. It is bright as well as airy with high ceilings and the tables are very well spaced therefore giving us room to appreciate the wonderful open space. You are given a choice of a 2 or 3 or 4 course lunch which are all moderately priced. There are many menu selections and our table of four enjoyed our selections. Last but DEFINITELY not least is the service provided by young men and women who are committed to the field of the culinary arts. Not enough can be said of our server,Sid,whose knowledge re: food and wine along with his gracious manner in helping us make menu choices was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great valueddelightDined on 9/17/2014If you like interesting food at decent prices then this is a place to comeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not much espectacularMondayreservationDined on 9/15/2014Went for dinner with my partner. My appetizeer was too light, my main course (monkfish) over cooked and dry and my dessert was just a muffin with cream. Service nice, but i expected more (still wondering why there is a hostes: a nice young lady going around the restaurant; waiters chatting at the bar instead of attending tables). Otherwise, my partner really enjoyed, so maybe i had bad luck.Special Features:
- As Always Excellent FoodTheShooter1981Dined on 9/15/2014Food is excellent, but I really wish some of their wait staff would lighten up a little bit. So overly and unnecessarily formal.Special Features:
- Deceiving tasteless foodAlexbeeDined on 9/13/2014I'm very deceived. I had good memories from a visit 20 years ago with my French friends but it changed a lot ... The food was tasteless and pricey. The best thing I can say from the place was the bread and the French wine I ordered . No French food there and I actually feel sorry for the students of this school. Keep awaySpecial Features:
- Worst dish ever... bewareslc4VIPDined on 9/8/2014I've been here multiple times, each time the food was good. This last time, however was incredibly disappointing. The service was very slow, not to mention the cavatelli appetizer was literally inedible. A very disappointing experience. The waiter never came to the table to check on how we were enjoying any of our dishes. Had he done that, he would have known right away that I had an issue with my appetizer, instead of coming to clear that course and THEN bothering to ask me if everything was ok. Overall a disappointing experience at an otherwise trusted restaurant.Special Features:
- Disappointing foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014We were expecting this place to be quite good based on a Zagat review, but the food was pretty disappointing given the price - I know these are trainee chefs but I would have expected a professional to check what was sent out. The potato gratin I had was so burnt I couldn't cut it, and the smoked salmon was tasteless and needed some lemon and/or seasoning. The gnocchi was overcooked and in a wet sauce, although the rabbit tasted nice with it. The dessert was the best bit, a chocolate tart that tasted really good without too much sweetness, with an ice-cream that was also good. Shame about the first two courses though. Although the waiters also seemed to lack some confidence, the service was good and timely.
- DisapointmentBillDined on 9/5/2014For many years as I would drive by the restaurant and comment "I want to eat there". It was not worth the wait. They seated us on time ,and the waiter explained the menu very well. The bread was cold ,the Pork Chop could NOT be cut with a sharp knife. The restaurant did not charge for the entre and the Bill was still $100+ for two with 1 drink each.
- Food is okayFrequentdinerDined on 9/3/2014Food is okay but not worth travelling out to. You can really get the sense that the lunch meal was not prepared by professionals but I am aware of that to start with. A little pricey for the food quality.Special Features:
- Very disappointedrdelacreDined on 8/30/2014No culinary art, lack of passion, taste mismatches... I am used to the Institut Paul Bocuse in Lyon (France) and I can't compare the two restaurants because there is such a gap - an abyss I must say . Having fairly great products to cook and making so many mistakes tastewise is a non-sense to me. The bad experience starts with the amuse-bouche: oily, vinagery, it would be a good dressing for a salad but not an amuse-bouche! The smoked salmon (almost none smoked) was on top of a potato galette... Claiming yourself a culinary center, raise the bar please! I will not comment the rest of my 7-course dinner, you get the point here.
- Great experience!CoriDined on 8/30/2014Went there for a brunch w/ an 18 yr old friends' daughter, introduction on french cooking/food. She loved the creme brulee. I made a mistake on adding up my tip, i didnt call them as im embarassed, but i check my transactions on my credit card & they only add up 20%. Honesty! Been there several times,bring friends & family who comes to visit NY. Attentive wait staff & professional.Special Features:
- Good local eery.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/29/2014Nice choices on the prix fixe menu. many seafood choices available. good service and a reasonable wine list. You can bring your own bottle on Mondays which is a plus.Special Features:
- Best Anniversary Dinner EverfamcuttDined on 8/28/2014Arthur and the crew at L'Ecole made our dining experience something to remember! With a family of four we made sure to order something different for each of us and we were able to try much of the menu. Every single bite, app, dinner, dessert, was delicious! Even my 13 year old picky daughter tried everything and liked it all. The flavors and presentation show the culinary artists expertise, and the portions were perfect as well (not too small). The wine pairing was enjoyable, and there were special non-alcoholic drinks for the kids. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AN AMAZING DINING EXPERIENCEali66Dined on 8/22/2014I LOVE L'ECOLE...THE FOOD IS EXEPTIONAL & SERVICE IS SUPERB...I HAVE BEEN DINING THERE FOR YEARS..ITS MY FAVORITE NEW YORK RESTAURANTSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Carefully constructed cuisineFrigginfabfoodDined on 8/20/2014I love this place!!!!! The students are really trying to get it right so they put so much care into the flavor of the food and into the presentation of the food it's hard for it to go wrong. The waitstaff are knowledgeable and take a special interest in your needs. The manager comes to check on you and the hostess does as well. My water glass was never empty. It is not super special in terms of decor but it is well lit so there is still a pleasant ambiance. I have been here twice now and both times I thought I need to come here more often. It is wonderful for the amount of money it costs too! Actually it is better than the more costly restaurants. Plus it is right in Soho. What a gem. YOU MUST COME HERE! You will not be dissapointed.Special Features:
- Anniversary celebrationpinkdivaDined on 8/20/2014We really loved the food and wine! I've been wanting to eat here for many years. I'm glad we went for such a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best food ever.LorraineDined on 8/18/2014Best dining experience ever. From the staff to the food it was amazing. The duck and halibut was to die for. Will definitely be dining here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- K&BOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/15/2014We celebrated our 44th anniversary at L'Ecole and we're not disappointed.Special Features:
- SophisticatedRedvelvetDined on 8/15/2014White cloth tablecloths ,Ella and Louis, good food and service at a fair price I felt it was an adult experience. I so appreciated a tolerable noise level. The menu choices all sounded so good I will have to return. Service was Good and the food was too. Even got amuse bouche I was very happy with my lunch and will definitely return with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.