Leatherby's Cafe Rouge
615 Town Center Drive
Costa Mesa, CA 92626Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Leatherby's Cafe Rouge
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.patinagroup.com/cafeRouge/
- Phone: (714) 429-7640
- Hours of Operation:
On performance nights
Closed on non-performance nights
Leatherby's will be open for brunch during weekend matinee performances
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Ross Pangilinan
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Chef Joachim Splichal’s Patina Catering offers unrivaled cuisine and impeccable service for events held throughout Orange County and Southern California. Our experienced staff can help you create the perfect event at one of our landmark locations, including Leatherby's Cafe Rouge, Segerstrom Center for the Arts, or at your home, office and favorite destinations. Contact our Special Events team at 714 556 2122 ext. 4201
- Private Party Facilities: The restaurant offers an array of exquisite locations for private events. Within the restaurant, the private dining room can seat groups from 10 to 60, while larger events can be held in the main dining room. Additional locations are located throughout the Segerstrom Center of the Arts, or at your home, office, or favorite destination. An ideal venue for wedding rehearsals and receptions and holiday parties.
- Private Party Contact: Melissa Loos 7145562122x4202
- Special Events: Celebrate your next special event with class, elegance and style at Leatherby’s Café Rouge. Please contact Melissa Loos, Catering Sales Manager, for more information at MLoos@patinagroup.com 714-556-2122 ext. 4202
A word from Leatherby's Cafe Rouge
Located in the Renee and Henry Segerstrom Concert Hall, Leatherby's Cafe Rouge is an exciting dining destination in Orange County. The intimate, high-backed banquettes surrounded by a sea of earth tones provide a serene setting, perfect for lively dinners, pre performance dining or simply for a great dining experience. We are conveniently located accross the Plaza from Segerstrom Center for the Arts and are proud to offer free corkage for a la carte dining.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Leatherby's Cafe Rouge - Best Restaurants in Costa Mesa ›
Leatherby's Cafe Rouge reviews from OpenTable diners
90 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (55)special occasion (51)romantic (21)scenic view (15)good for groups (14)notable wine list (14)neighborhood gem (12)hot spot (9)great for brunch (4)vibrant bar scene (3)great for lunch (2)late-night find (2)Show More
- Wonderful Food and Service!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/23/2014I love Leatherby's! This is my second time eating there. The server, Shawn, was excellent. The waffles were amazing!!! I am a vegetarian and they always go out of their way to help me pick things from there menu that are vegetarian.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LouMVIPDined on 11/20/2014Great for dinner before the show at the Performing Arts Center.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Met my wife's expectationsBelgiancritiqueDined on 11/12/2014It is now rare to find a dining experience that meets my wife's expectations. She was born in Belgium and has traveled the world and has experienced many dining experiences. Most settings in the USA are too loud, too much poor quality food, and are not an enjoyable experience. Out dining at Rouge was quiet and peaceful, excellent quality food, and thoroughly enjoyable. What a pleasant surprise. It set us up nicely to thoroughly enjoy the show, Pippin. We shall surely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I Shall Return!!!MrSwankyDined on 11/8/2014Beautiful presentations. Attentive service. Delicious entrees. Friendly staff. Quick service too, important before concert performance (Johnny Mathis). Salmon risotto with farmers market vegetables plus Lemon Bundt cake/Raspberry coulis and mango sorbet...I'll be back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014Enjoyed our evening. Wish staff could have been more aware of who was performing in the facility…especially that evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VinnyDined on 11/8/2014Very nice evening--excellent spot for dinner or lunch before a show at Segestrom.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Reliable Old FavoriteQuicksilver6Dined on 11/4/2014We chose to escape the election aftermath by dedicating that Tuesday evening to dinner and a concert. Leatherby's Cafe Rouge is an old standby for us, and once again it did not disappoint. Opening with a herbed pear salad, the marinated pears were a particular delight. Then it was on to a Snapper entrée, which included crispy shrimp ravioli and a delicious natural juice gravy. My escort's entrée consisted of succulent baby back short ribs beautifully done and tender to the fork. Both dishes provided accompaniments well chosen and tastefully prepared. An ice cream dessert of moderate proportions round out the meal. Service was highly responsive; a 6:45pm reservation allowed us to be in our seats comfortably before the 8:00pm concert.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/25/2014I've heard great things about this place and luckily, it lived up to its reputation. For one, the staff is incredibly attentive, friendly, and knowledgable about the food,which is impressive, considering the menu changes frequently. Its nice to know that even though you may love one particular dish, you can return and have an entirely new experience the next time. I went with one other person and we ended up having to take a lot of food home. The portions were MUCH larger than we expected. Wine is served by the carafe, which means you get about 2 glasses out of it. most the beers are from local breweries. I can't wait to return and see whats the one the menu next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get it TogetherOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/24/2014My friend had to wait for more than thirty minutes for her entree and we were there for a pre-theatre meal. My prosciutto-pear salad and agnolotti were good. She said her flavors were good but had a hard time finding her seafood in the mix! Service was spotty and disorganized. They comped us our two coffees and our waiter apologized. But you can't take back first impressions. Would I go back? Probably not because there are many good restaurant options near by.
- BJFFDined on 10/23/2014We have often dined here, but this last time was the best yet of many delicious times. I did not read the wine list so cannot comment on it.Special Features:
- What a wonderful placeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/23/2014Beautiful restaurant. My husband and I came here for our 10 year wedding anniversary. We arrived a little before our reservation time, so we sat in the bar. Bartender was very nice and on top of things. Excellent service. Once were seated, I think we had the best seat in the house. Our waiter was wonderful. The food came out within a reason time and was piping hot! My steak was cooked to perfection. If you like martini's, order the Orange Lemoncello. They put a little spin on it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So-So ServiceAlmostLate1Dined on 10/17/2014Chose this restaurant as a special treat and because it is located in the Segerstrom Concert Hall building. It was a quiet night with less than half of the tables occupied, our waiter knew of our concert plans, and yet we almost missed the opening number. At 7:50, the waiter remembered that it was my friend's birthday and would not let us leave the table without the special dessert which he had forgotten to deliver in a timely manner. This was the finale of a dinner service in which everything, including our cocktails, took longer than it should have (even on a busy night)! Our entrees arrived an hour after we sat down!! There is no excuse for this in a venue that "caters" to concert goers!
- SLOW SERVICEJudyDined on 10/16/2014Although the decor, noise level, and food were all very good, the service was very poor. There seemed to be enough staff, including 2 or 3 managers. Our initial waiter was hard to find after we ordered. Our drinks were not served before our appetizers. Only did we get noticed when I would flag down someone. If you are considering this restaurant, be sure to leave plenty early before the performance.
- Great food,convenient, but slowOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/16/2014The food was outstanding. The location for going to Segerstrom Center is excellent. My only complaint is that the service was too slow. We were there at 5:40, practically the first ones in the restaurant. The show started at 7:30. We ordered a pre-show fixed dinner. There were only two of us. We had to run out of there at 7:25 to catch the show, and we were late. Dessert took forever to come, and it was just ice cream! Our waiter seemed to be spending all his time taking care of the bigger parties.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Night out on the townIslanderDined on 10/16/2014Booked this prior to a show and did not disappoint. There were 4 of us with very different tastes and the menu was diverse with seafood, meat and vegetarian options. The waiter was helpful in answering questions. Wine list had a wide variety of options. Beer options were minimal--the guys were looking for Stella and non-alcoholic beer choices like O'Douls. If these were added to the bar, would be perfect. I had the lamb which came out mildly hot so I knew it would be a little tough but rest of the dishes looked perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VinnyDined on 10/16/2014Very nice experience--first time for dinner--plan to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A musical experienceRuggieroDined on 10/11/2014Good food good service makes this a harmonic experience at their Orange County Music Center.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant and inspiringdollDined on 10/10/2014Perfect dinner before a performance. Service was great. The prix fix menu was reasonable. We started with cucumber and tomato gazpacho. excellent. Then i had short ribs, which was good. The meal was ended with chicolate and vanilla ice cream. i will definitely return and try the broadway show menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hopefully, an off-nightM1107JVIPDined on 10/5/2014I've eaten at this restaurant about a dozen times during the past few years. It's on the grounds of the Segerstrom Center and hence draws its customers mostly who are attending the theatre. I'd normally rate it excellent to outstanding. However, on this occasion, they were only going to be open for this specific concert (Tony Bennett) and then closed for the next few days. They had a very limited memu, with hardly any fish dishes. When the food arrived is was not hot, but warm. The service was poor. THIS experience was far less than I expected from this establishment.Special Features:
- Another great dinner!DragonLibrarianDined on 9/27/2014Leatherby's never fails to produce interesting and delicious menu choices. Our party of four shared many of our choices, and they were all excellent, with the short ribs getting raves. The scallops were tender and flavorful, and the S'mores dessert was a delight.Special Features:
- This really is a lovely restaurant!dagmarVIPDined on 9/26/2014What a delight each time we have dinner here before the theatre. We always enjoy the staff and Tom, the general manager, is very personable, friendly, and really shows this enthusiasm for this restaurant and the productions. The food is always served with a little different twist from the norm, with always fresh, seasonal ingredients. Very elegant... great for any special occasion, not just when heading for the symphony. It also has a lovely bar.Special Features:
- forgetaboutitjmf2VIPDined on 9/21/2014No question it's a convenient venue for the music center, but there are oh so many other places to get a better meal. Though the prix fixe menu has the potential to be a great value it's a bit slap/dash in its presentation. On the night we were there, The beet salad had no panache to it ..just a couple of beets thrown onto a plate. The fish was well cooked, but the broth it was swimming in was overly salted...and the dessert----UGH. a couple of scoops of ice cream again thrown on the plate (1/2 melted at that) without any sense of presentation or thought. Surely they can do better. As for me, I'm crossing the street to other dining venu
- SCOTT'S NEXT TIMESamSmithDined on 9/20/2014Dissapointing! We were seated at 7:10 pm and had 8pm show tickets. Our reservation made at least 10 days in advance was for 6:45 pm. Waiter was surprised that we didn't order $ 35 entre even though we'd have 15 minutes to it. Ran out of non alcoholic beer. No Napkin, had to ask. Asked for bread and was told it would be 5 minutes since they just put it in oven. Dirty dishes remained on table until we paid bill.Special Features:
- Perfect before the showmountbellDined on 9/20/2014The location is perfect and the setting appropriately elegant for anyone planning a night out at the theater.Special Features:
- ThadeusDined on 9/20/2014Need to get service on time for the theater. We were there for 2 1/2 hours but they could not get our coffee or desert in time for the theater curtainSpecial Features:
- HansiDined on 9/18/2014The service was a little weak this time. Normally it is very good.
- OutstandingCassDined on 8/26/2014Absolutely wonderful experience. Everything about dining here is a don't miss, and a must before a show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- At the SegerstromwonderfuloxnardVIPDined on 8/24/2014Magnificent views of architecture from the windows looking onto the plaza of the performing arts center, and within the restaurant. The food and service are typical of a Patina restaurant, which is to say excellent in every way.Special Features:
- Fan-tastic again!nyadrmzDined on 8/10/2014Took three friends for brunch before seeing Ghost. Two had never experienced Café Rouge, but are excited to return. Hangar Steak, Chicken and Salmon were all excellent. Be sure to experience the Hamachi roll!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tbddDined on 8/5/2014The food for the most part was good, service good but kitchen slow.
- Before the Theater TreatRonRVIPDined on 8/1/2014Leatherby's Café Rouge is a longtime favorite.........the chef never fails to provide an exceptional cuisine. Last night we had the Chef's Tasting dinner with his recommended wine pairings...yum !! The service is good, but not as exceptional as the food. Next time you're going to the Segerstrom Center for the Arts Theater, book and early table at Café Rouge through Open Table. Dr RSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "Ghost" dinnerluv4foodDined on 7/30/2014We have made an effort this 2013-2014 theatre season to extend our experience by having the prix fixe dinners at Leatherby's. We have enjoyed every meal....never been disappointed. In fact, we recommend Leatherby's to our friends as a wonderful pre-theatre dinning opportunity every chance we get!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Before the ShowRobarooDined on 7/29/2014Always a good spot for dinner before the show at the Orange County Performing Arts Center. Service is always very good and you have just a fifty-yard walk to the theater. Both the pre-fixe and a la carte menu options are always intriguing.Special Features:
- The following 897 reviews are from the Leatherby's Cafe Rouge reviews archive.
- UnderwhelmedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/25/2014The crab salad was lousy...not fresh, paltry sizings of crab meet, nothing interesting at all about it. Drinks were overpriced as was most of the menu. Best thing about this place is location close to Segerstrom Performing Arts Center and the other performing arts venues in this area. Soft egg ravioli was great, however..a taste sensation that was made perfectly, and this offset the disappointing crab salad somewhat. There seemed to be some confusion with waiters on who was supposed to keep an eye on us for additional needs.
- Almost 5 starsfeedmeDined on 7/25/2014The food presentation was beautiful. The reason I gave it 4 stars was because the salmon was seasoned with too much cumin which I thought was an odd mix with the fish. To each his ownSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/13/2014The food was fabulous, the service was impeccable with 2 gentlemen attending at just the right intervals, and the ambience relaxing. We dined before 6:30 show time on a Sunday. Our reservation was at 4:30 which was perfect timing.
- My fav!PamelatjVIPDined on 7/12/2014Thank you for another wonderful evening and repast! The tasting menus were sumptuous, and Parker was a formidable server and entertainer. Will be back! Thanks Josh, always great to catch up!Special Features:
- Perfect for Pre-ShowhedyvonribbonDined on 7/12/2014My grandma and I were celebrating her birthday with a show at Sergerstrom. We wanted something nice, not too heavy, near the theater so we could valet, dine and walk to the show. Voila... Leatherby's! We each had a salad, shared the tenderloin and enjoy a dirty martini with hand-stuffed blue cheese/green olives. We left perfectly satisfied and happy. Rick took very good care of us. Ask for table 54.. very nice, delicious, classy and timely. Will most definitely make this part of my future show experiences. We arrived at about 5:40 for our 6pm reservation and were seated immediately. Perfect for the 7:30 Showtime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Experience Every TimeMMTFDined on 7/12/2014Parker was our server again, and always has the best recommendations for both food and beverage pairings. Appropriately friendly, attentive service, and very knowledgeable. All of our courses were fabulously delicious, and the beverages were perfectly mixed. Our choice for every performance we attend in the Segerstrom Arts & Music Center.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/10/2014Special evening before PAC "Jersey Boys" production! Loved the menu choices for the musical! Wine was excellent and the evening was wonderful! We have been before and will return again! Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.