Leatherby's Cafe Rouge
615 Town Center Drive
Costa Mesa, CA 92626Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Leatherby's Cafe Rouge
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.patinagroup.com/cafeRouge/
- Phone: 7144297640x
- Hours of Operation:
On performance nights
Closed on non-performance nights
Leatherby's will be open for brunch during weekend matinee performances
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Ross Pangilinan
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Chef Joachim Splichal’s Patina Catering offers unrivaled cuisine and impeccable service for events held throughout Orange County and Southern California. Our experienced staff can help you create the perfect event at one of our landmark locations, including Leatherby's Cafe Rouge, Segerstrom Center for the Arts, or at your home, office and favorite destinations. Contact our Special Events team at 714 556 2122 ext. 4201
- Private Party Facilities: The restaurant offers an array of exquisite locations for private events. Within the restaurant, the private dining room can seat groups from 10 to 60, while larger events can be held in the main dining room. Additional locations are located throughout the Segerstrom Center of the Arts, or at your home, office, or favorite destination. An ideal venue for wedding rehearsals and receptions and holiday parties.
- Private Party Contact: Melissa Loos 7145562122x4202
- Special Events: Celebrate your next special event with class, elegance and style at Leatherby’s Café Rouge. Please contact Melissa Loos, Catering Sales Manager, for more information at MLoos@patinagroup.com 714-556-2122 ext. 4202
A word from Leatherby's Cafe Rouge
Located in the Renee and Henry Segerstrom Concert Hall, Leatherby's Cafe Rouge is an exciting dining destination in Orange County. The intimate, high-backed banquettes surrounded by a sea of earth tones provide a serene setting, perfect for lively dinners, pre performance dining or simply for a great dining experience. We are conveniently located accross the Plaza from Segerstrom Center for the Arts and are proud to offer free corkage for a la carte dining.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Leatherby's Cafe Rouge - Best Restaurants in Costa Mesa ›
Leatherby's Cafe Rouge reviews from OpenTable diners
83 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (46)special occasion (45)romantic (22)scenic view (12)notable wine list (11)neighborhood gem (10)hot spot (9)good for groups (8)vibrant bar scene (3)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- So-So ServiceAlmostLate1Dined on 10/17/2014Chose this restaurant as a special treat and because it is located in the Segerstrom Concert Hall building. It was a quiet night with less than half of the tables occupied, our waiter knew of our concert plans, and yet we almost missed the opening number. At 7:50, the waiter remembered that it was my friend's birthday and would not let us leave the table without the special dessert which he had forgotten to deliver in a timely manner. This was the finale of a dinner service in which everything, including our cocktails, took longer than it should have (even on a busy night)! Our entrees arrived an hour after we sat down!! There is no excuse for this in a venue that "caters" to concert goers!
- SLOW SERVICEJudyDined on 10/16/2014Although the decor, noise level, and food were all very good, the service was very poor. There seemed to be enough staff, including 2 or 3 managers. Our initial waiter was hard to find after we ordered. Our drinks were not served before our appetizers. Only did we get noticed when I would flag down someone. If you are considering this restaurant, be sure to leave plenty early before the performance.
- Great food,convenient, but slowOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/16/2014The food was outstanding. The location for going to Segerstrom Center is excellent. My only complaint is that the service was too slow. We were there at 5:40, practically the first ones in the restaurant. The show started at 7:30. We ordered a pre-show fixed dinner. There were only two of us. We had to run out of there at 7:25 to catch the show, and we were late. Dessert took forever to come, and it was just ice cream! Our waiter seemed to be spending all his time taking care of the bigger parties.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Night out on the townIslanderDined on 10/16/2014Booked this prior to a show and did not disappoint. There were 4 of us with very different tastes and the menu was diverse with seafood, meat and vegetarian options. The waiter was helpful in answering questions. Wine list had a wide variety of options. Beer options were minimal--the guys were looking for Stella and non-alcoholic beer choices like O'Douls. If these were added to the bar, would be perfect. I had the lamb which came out mildly hot so I knew it would be a little tough but rest of the dishes looked perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VinnyDined on 10/16/2014Very nice experience--first time for dinner--plan to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A musical experienceRuggieroDined on 10/11/2014Good food good service makes this a harmonic experience at their Orange County Music Center.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant and inspiringdollDined on 10/10/2014Perfect dinner before a performance. Service was great. The prix fix menu was reasonable. We started with cucumber and tomato gazpacho. excellent. Then i had short ribs, which was good. The meal was ended with chicolate and vanilla ice cream. i will definitely return and try the broadway show menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hopefully, an off-nightM1107JVIPDined on 10/5/2014I've eaten at this restaurant about a dozen times during the past few years. It's on the grounds of the Segerstrom Center and hence draws its customers mostly who are attending the theatre. I'd normally rate it excellent to outstanding. However, on this occasion, they were only going to be open for this specific concert (Tony Bennett) and then closed for the next few days. They had a very limited memu, with hardly any fish dishes. When the food arrived is was not hot, but warm. The service was poor. THIS experience was far less than I expected from this establishment.Special Features:
- Another great dinner!DragonLibrarianDined on 9/27/2014Leatherby's never fails to produce interesting and delicious menu choices. Our party of four shared many of our choices, and they were all excellent, with the short ribs getting raves. The scallops were tender and flavorful, and the S'mores dessert was a delight.Special Features:
- This really is a lovely restaurant!dagmarVIPDined on 9/26/2014What a delight each time we have dinner here before the theatre. We always enjoy the staff and Tom, the general manager, is very personable, friendly, and really shows this enthusiasm for this restaurant and the productions. The food is always served with a little different twist from the norm, with always fresh, seasonal ingredients. Very elegant... great for any special occasion, not just when heading for the symphony. It also has a lovely bar.Special Features:
- forgetaboutitjmf2VIPDined on 9/21/2014No question it's a convenient venue for the music center, but there are oh so many other places to get a better meal. Though the prix fixe menu has the potential to be a great value it's a bit slap/dash in its presentation. On the night we were there, The beet salad had no panache to it ..just a couple of beets thrown onto a plate. The fish was well cooked, but the broth it was swimming in was overly salted...and the dessert----UGH. a couple of scoops of ice cream again thrown on the plate (1/2 melted at that) without any sense of presentation or thought. Surely they can do better. As for me, I'm crossing the street to other dining venu
- SCOTT'S NEXT TIMESamSmithDined on 9/20/2014Dissapointing! We were seated at 7:10 pm and had 8pm show tickets. Our reservation made at least 10 days in advance was for 6:45 pm. Waiter was surprised that we didn't order $ 35 entre even though we'd have 15 minutes to it. Ran out of non alcoholic beer. No Napkin, had to ask. Asked for bread and was told it would be 5 minutes since they just put it in oven. Dirty dishes remained on table until we paid bill.Special Features:
- Perfect before the showmountbellDined on 9/20/2014The location is perfect and the setting appropriately elegant for anyone planning a night out at the theater.Special Features:
- ThadeusDined on 9/20/2014Need to get service on time for the theater. We were there for 2 1/2 hours but they could not get our coffee or desert in time for the theater curtainSpecial Features:
- HansiDined on 9/18/2014The service was a little weak this time. Normally it is very good.
- OutstandingCassDined on 8/26/2014Absolutely wonderful experience. Everything about dining here is a don't miss, and a must before a show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- At the SegerstromwonderfuloxnardVIPDined on 8/24/2014Magnificent views of architecture from the windows looking onto the plaza of the performing arts center, and within the restaurant. The food and service are typical of a Patina restaurant, which is to say excellent in every way.Special Features:
- Fan-tastic again!nyadrmzDined on 8/10/2014Took three friends for brunch before seeing Ghost. Two had never experienced Café Rouge, but are excited to return. Hangar Steak, Chicken and Salmon were all excellent. Be sure to experience the Hamachi roll!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tbddDined on 8/5/2014The food for the most part was good, service good but kitchen slow.
- Before the Theater TreatRonRVIPDined on 8/1/2014Leatherby's Café Rouge is a longtime favorite.........the chef never fails to provide an exceptional cuisine. Last night we had the Chef's Tasting dinner with his recommended wine pairings...yum !! The service is good, but not as exceptional as the food. Next time you're going to the Segerstrom Center for the Arts Theater, book and early table at Café Rouge through Open Table. Dr RSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "Ghost" dinnerluv4foodDined on 7/30/2014We have made an effort this 2013-2014 theatre season to extend our experience by having the prix fixe dinners at Leatherby's. We have enjoyed every meal....never been disappointed. In fact, we recommend Leatherby's to our friends as a wonderful pre-theatre dinning opportunity every chance we get!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Before the ShowRobarooDined on 7/29/2014Always a good spot for dinner before the show at the Orange County Performing Arts Center. Service is always very good and you have just a fifty-yard walk to the theater. Both the pre-fixe and a la carte menu options are always intriguing.Special Features:
- UnderwhelmedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/25/2014The crab salad was lousy...not fresh, paltry sizings of crab meet, nothing interesting at all about it. Drinks were overpriced as was most of the menu. Best thing about this place is location close to Segerstrom Performing Arts Center and the other performing arts venues in this area. Soft egg ravioli was great, however..a taste sensation that was made perfectly, and this offset the disappointing crab salad somewhat. There seemed to be some confusion with waiters on who was supposed to keep an eye on us for additional needs.
- Almost 5 starsfeedmeDined on 7/25/2014The food presentation was beautiful. The reason I gave it 4 stars was because the salmon was seasoned with too much cumin which I thought was an odd mix with the fish. To each his ownSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/13/2014The food was fabulous, the service was impeccable with 2 gentlemen attending at just the right intervals, and the ambience relaxing. We dined before 6:30 show time on a Sunday. Our reservation was at 4:30 which was perfect timing.
- My fav!PamelatjVIPDined on 7/12/2014Thank you for another wonderful evening and repast! The tasting menus were sumptuous, and Parker was a formidable server and entertainer. Will be back! Thanks Josh, always great to catch up!Special Features:
- Perfect for Pre-ShowhedyvonribbonDined on 7/12/2014My grandma and I were celebrating her birthday with a show at Sergerstrom. We wanted something nice, not too heavy, near the theater so we could valet, dine and walk to the show. Voila... Leatherby's! We each had a salad, shared the tenderloin and enjoy a dirty martini with hand-stuffed blue cheese/green olives. We left perfectly satisfied and happy. Rick took very good care of us. Ask for table 54.. very nice, delicious, classy and timely. Will most definitely make this part of my future show experiences. We arrived at about 5:40 for our 6pm reservation and were seated immediately. Perfect for the 7:30 Showtime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Experience Every TimeMMTFDined on 7/12/2014Parker was our server again, and always has the best recommendations for both food and beverage pairings. Appropriately friendly, attentive service, and very knowledgeable. All of our courses were fabulously delicious, and the beverages were perfectly mixed. Our choice for every performance we attend in the Segerstrom Arts & Music Center.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/10/2014Special evening before PAC "Jersey Boys" production! Loved the menu choices for the musical! Wine was excellent and the evening was wonderful! We have been before and will return again! Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cultural DelightarcfarcDined on 7/9/2014Combine dinner with a Segerstrom cultural event for a delightful evening.Special Features:
- Theater Evening MustAnnieDined on 7/8/2014Leatherby's is located directly across from the Orange County performing Arts Center. Before going to a show, We always have dinner there. Food is amazing. Very smart wine list. Service above and beyond. And...they keep us on track, time wise, so that we make our show on time.Special Features:
- First disappointment!sbsusanDined on 7/6/2014I was dating again after 2 years of widowhood & wanted to introduce John to Cafe Rouge. I have enjoyed The Performing Arts tickets for 15 years & Cafe Rouge has been our favorite spot for pre- theater dining almost as long. Sunday eve was a disaster! We arrived at 5:00. Our starters were placed in front if us at 5:20. By 6:00 we were served dinner. Our server knew curtain was at 6:30. Food arrived and my scallops were over salted and room temp. John's steak was not med. rare but well done. We had to run to make curtain, feeling so rushed, not relaxed and content as before. William was apologetic, but first impressions are memorable. We return in August for another theater evening. Not sure if we will chance that again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Segerstrom Performing ArtswonderfuloxnardVIPDined on 7/5/2014Typical of a Patina Group property this restaurant excels at delicious food from an inventive menu, excellent service, attention from the management staff to insure customer satisfaction, and just general excellence. Located within the performing arts complex you can simply cross a patio to reach your evening of entertainment following an excellent meal.Special Features:
- Good experianceyummyVIPDined on 7/5/2014Very good service and great bar choices, menu options very good, good location for dinner before theater playSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointed !jmacDined on 7/4/2014I have eaten here before and liked it but very displeased this time. No waiter to even give us water for 10 minutes. We each had an appetizer and a main course. Of the four dished one one, the riviolo, was good. The crab salad had hardly any crab, the lamb was tough, and the corn mezzalune had a very strange, acidic taste that was unpleasant. We didn't complain because we had a show to get to, but I probably won't go back
- luv4foodDined on 7/2/2014We have enjoyed several meals "themed" to the 2013/14 Performing Arts Center this season. We found them to be creative, of excellent quality and the service was delightful. We will definitely complete the season at Leatherby's!!Special Features:
- Great dinnerHBcookDined on 6/29/2014Went here before the Jersey Boys and had a wonderful experience. I had the heirloom tomato salad and the scallops and they were both great. Very creative presentation as well. Only complaint, skimpy pour on an expensive glass of wine - I hate that!Special Features:
- Always very goodlove2eatoutDined on 6/29/2014Lemons had scarring, not very appetizing when used to garnish cocktails, had to ask for better selection. Cappuccino was luke warm even after asking for it to be heated. They very thoughtfully brought a fresh one, but still not hot. Food was very tasty and the waiter was wonderful and very accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jersey Boys Concert NightGastronomeNot1Dined on 6/28/2014Had dinner before the concert at the Segerstrom center. The only detractor seemed that the food took a long time to come out. We did not order appetizers so it seemed a long wait for a fairly straightforward dinner order. We had plenty of time before the event but if we had left only an hour for dinner we would have been in trouble.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 880 reviews are from the Leatherby's Cafe Rouge reviews archive.
- Great evening!LuvgdfoodDined on 6/24/2014Love to go to Leatherby's before the shows at SCFTA. Enjoyed The Four Seasons Menu. I did miss the Lobster Bisque soup.Special Features: