15 Beaufain St.
Charleston, SC 29401Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.leafcharleston.com/
- Phone: 8437932230
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 11:00am - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Leaf
Awaken your culinary senses to Leaf - Charleston's premier café + bar featuring a casually chic atmosphere with indoor and outdoor transitional dining, Southern cosmopolitan cuisine, and a fine selection of wines.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Leaf reviews from OpenTable diners
80 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (43)fit for foodies (31)neighborhood gem (30)good for groups (23)great for lunch (22)great for brunch (16)romantic (13)special occasion (13)vibrant bar scene (12)notable wine list (5)kid-friendly (3)hot spot (3)scenic view (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Lovely patio diningatsfromcleveDined on 10/28/2014Beautiful patio. Large bar area and private dining with drapes. So glad we walked 10 minutes out of downtown to find this gem. Portobello grilled cheese and truffle fries were crisp and tasty. Tried the very generous serving of frickles & companions were very happy with various salads and appetizers. Recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotpapabravoDined on 10/24/2014Take all my lunch meetings here... "professionally casual"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/12/2014Always has been and still remains one of our favorites.Special Features:
- Delicious brunchsushiloverVIPDined on 10/12/2014This was my first time visiting Leaf for brunch, although we've often enjoyed their lunches and dinners. Our brunch was delicious. Loved the accompaniment of a mimosa or bloody mary with the entree. The outdoor courtyard was also beautiful as we were lucky with a beautiful morning. Couldn't have been nicer.Special Features:
- Something isn't rightPdsnyder123Dined on 10/10/2014Leaf has been a fav since you opened years ago, after Vickery's closing~~ however, I made reser. for a group of 8 (one didn't show) Fri nite ~ the calamari (always a fav of mine) was soggy and lacked flavor; no one at the table said anything about their meals, which tells me "so so" at best. Sat my daughter, husband and grandson went back for lunch (mainly due to convenience and outdoor seating) we ordered cobb salad, portabella wrap, greek salad with chicken~ we waited over 45 mins to be served our food. I noticed that no one (and there were at least 8 tables) had food served~~ we asked the server what was going on she said the food was coming and then we waited another 10 min. The fries were still frying when wrap was servedSpecial Features:
- Great Night with FriendsJIlocalsDined on 10/7/2014We are local and Leaf is one of our favorite restaurants. We meet friends we'd not seen in three years. They are from Australia and we wanted to show them a great time in Charleston and not have to shout over other diners, loud music and bad acoustics. We sat outside, our service was wonderful. Very fortunate the weather was perfect for outdoor dining. Everyone loved the food., however we all commented about the volume of food. A lot of waste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Somewhat disappointedsouthernladyDined on 10/3/2014The salad one of us ordered was good, but two of us ordered the portobella melt and it was mostly bread. The waitress did offer us more mushrooms which she brought to us, but overall the melt was disappointing. The waitress mentioned Leaf recently changed the menu from a portobella burger. That may have been more of what we had expected. The appetizer of three dips was delicious though.Special Features:
- Very GoodChuckDined on 9/26/2014This was our second time at Leaf and again the food was very good. Two had the mac starter which they very much enjoyed and they also both had the crab cakes which were rated one of the best they had had. I had the grilled Caesar salad which was very good and the Cuban sandwich which was out standing. The service was prompt but not intrusive. The only issue we had was the wine, for the secod time they didn't have the wine we ordered from the wine list so they provided us with a different wine which was inferior.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at LeafGoodeaterDined on 9/21/2014We were very disappointed. Our appetizers arrived at the table at different times, rather than all together. My husband ordered the steak med rare and it arrived well done. I had the vegetable risotto. It was bland and not creamy and cheesy at all. Tasted more like plain rice.
- HoffDined on 9/21/2014The hostess never did greets us the manager was rude and the wait staff was being mean to the Jazz band that they had playing that day. Our server was nice. Food was mediocre. Brunch includes mimosa or Bloody Mary with a short menu for $14.00 or more. I will not go backSpecial Features:
- restaurant week -hecticrunthebridgeDined on 9/13/2014long delay receiving food because of large groups for restaurant week. great server, handled the delays very well, manager came to our table as well. Food was very good, drinks perfect and outdoor dining with the lights in the trees was wonderful. Our group had a very nice time! I visit Charleston often and will certainly dine at Leaf again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Weekmkarsten1982Dined on 9/13/2014We normally love Leaf, but everything was off on Saturday. Arguing staff, extremely long wait times, awkward server, etc. We understand that it was restaurant week, but we waited over 45 minutes for our first course. Our server only told us "hey, the kitchen is backed up. I'm sorry" while we overheard the server at a table next to us say "I am so sorry for the wait, I went ahead and brought out some pimento cheese while you all wait." It's the little things! I hated giving our server a less than satisfactory tip, but that is unfortunately what he earned. While we enjoy Leaf and will be back, we will never head back during Restaurant Week, or any other "busy" night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CPNCDined on 9/12/2014Beautiful dining room. Tall windows, romantic feeling. Shame about the food. End of restaurant week. Steak, fatty/sinewy - unappetizing. Asian kimchee shrimp was untouched by Asian ingredients of any kind - no flavor at all. Disappointing. Waiter failed to clear plates making it a comedy as he tried to clear and serve at the same time. No cutlery for one guest after clearing etc. Waiter did offer to take steaks off - said there had been several issues with it. Unfortunate, if trying to attract new customers. Not up to par. Bar was hopping and lively with fashionable 30's & 40's types. Best for the bar - forget the food.Special Features:
- Thanks for a great birthday!Anonymous3Dined on 9/6/2014My friends and I had a great time. When two people weren't able to make it the waiter happily moved us to a smaller table so we could speak to each other better. The atmosphere was perfect and the food was amazing. I really appreciate that right now during restaurant week they had the special 3 for $30 menu as well as the regular menu available, which really was perfect to accommodate the different budgets of the people in our party. My birthday was mentioned when we made the reservation online but we never told the waiter or anyone about it in person. After the meal the waiter brought me chocolate mousse with a candle and sang to me, which was sweet and unexpected. Thanks again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experienceChuckDined on 9/6/2014The food was wonderful, we had 6 different courses and each one was as good as could be. Portions were large, cooked to perfection, and well seasoned. Service was excellent as well - there when needed but not intrusive.Special Features:
- Good to try on Restaurant WeekOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/4/2014Brussel sprouts and bacon a very good appetizer. Steaks were cooked as ordered and service was very good.
- Excellent Brunch Spot830DinnerDined on 8/31/2014Everything about our brunch experience was great! We had the grown up ham and cheese and the meat and cheese omelet. Both were outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingKnootVIPDined on 8/30/2014We went here for a group dinner. The decor was very nice, but the food was very disappointing. Decent appetizers but horrible entrees. Crab cakes were very small and full of bread crumbs. The "avocado" on the crab dish was brown old guacamole. The chicken on the salads was dry and hard. The arugula and beer salad was just a can of chopped up beets. Like I said, very disappointing.
- Pleasant group experienceFoodfanDined on 8/29/2014Brought a group of 6 ladies here for a quick bite and some wine before a ghost tour. Staff was courteous and accommodating of time restrictions and gluten allergies. We tasted most small plates and the delicious crab avocado entree. Over salted pita chips were the only unpleasant contribution to the evening. Definitely would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thoroughly EnjoyableBeachgirl5835Dined on 8/23/2014Love this place. First met it on a restaurant crawl with a large group. This time, our family of four. Couldn't pick from all the great appetizers and entrees. To make it a bit more perfect, wish there was more of a choice in desserts- only two! But they both were good.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/21/2014One of my favorite places in Charleston, with sports bar, outdoor, and nicer dining area. Food is good and reasonably priced. Only complaint is beer prices are pretty steep. RASSpecial Features:
- Plenty of Reasons to Come Backdine2dayDined on 8/16/2014Dined at Leaf with 2 friends that had not been there before. They selected off the menu. I went with our server's recommendation; a wonderfully prepared summer scallop dish. All were excellent. Justin, our server, was attentive and pleasant. He shared that there's a new menu coming soon. This visit to Leaf confirmed for me why I keep coming back: a menu varied enough to satisfy everyone, nice wine list, consistent service and when our weather is more forgiving, a great outdoor dining space as well. Happy to have Leaf in my neighborhood whether for a meal or to meet with friends for cocktails; they have a great appetizer selection and also a tasty burger....don't pass up the truffle fries....yum!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedTravellerDined on 8/16/2014The bar area where you enter the restaurant is a great space, nicely decorated, and the large open bar in the center just makes the room feel friendly and interesting. The dining area feels spacious, with high windows, but the decorating is not very interesting We had the salmon and the meatloaf. The salmon was tasty and nicely presented. In contrast, the meatloaf was not a success. It was a huge chunk, mostly brown on color and blackened all along the edges. It was only mildly seasoned, not very interesting. It came with mashed potatoes and collard greens, and the collard greens were blackened and (for me) just about inedible. The presentation was essentially monochrome and offputting I was expecting more from this restaurant.
- Wonderful and DiverseStrasbourg06Dined on 8/16/2014Leaf was our destination to celebrate my daughters start at the College of Charleston and we were not disappointed. The choices were diverse and we passed all the meals around the table. While the Scallops came out on top, all dishes were enjoyed to the last crumb.Special Features:
- Leaf was great!TmarsDined on 8/16/2014Leaf was quiet, comfortable, and the staff was wonderful. We really enjoyed the food and the whole dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!LaurenlovestoeatVIPDined on 8/10/2014I wish we found this place our first day of the trip so we could have come for dinner as well, we ended up here for Sunday brunch. The food was great and the place is so cute. You can tell it would be a great date night spot. They had live music at brunch! You get a mimosa or bloody Mary with your meal as well!Special Features:
- DisappointedFoodiefamilyDined on 8/9/2014We love Charleston, especially the food, and this is one of the worst places we have encountered. Overpriced food and disappointing selection, we will not return.
- Don't go backOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014Salmon was overlooked, the linguine came out penne with a runny sauce, no steak knives were brought or small plates for the apps until we asked.
- Love it but disappointed this timegreyfoxDined on 8/4/2014We have been to Leaf many times in the last few years, and it became one of our favorites for a well prepared lunch or dinner restaurant. We usually take out of town guests to Leaf for that reason. Our visit on Aug 4 was disappointing. The Calamari we had was dried out and very tough and tasteless. The mussels were bland and some were dry and tough. The Risotto and Shrimp, usually one of our favorites, contained little shrimp. The bread was spongy and generic tasting. I do hope this experience was a one time event because we really like Leaf and would like to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch flopabbysue4uDined on 8/3/2014We went to Leaf for Sunday brunch after a wonderful weekend of food and fun in Charleston, and we were very disappointed that this was our final stop. The service was lazy and unfriendly, and the food wasn't much better. We got there right when they opened, but they ran out of hollandaise sauce so all of our eggs benedict dishes came out cold. The "side of fruit" was one slice of watermelon, and the portions were small for the price. The potatoes were the best thing on the plate, but we won't be going back for them any time soon.Special Features:
- Keep coming backtripleeeDined on 7/27/2014Another great experience at Leaf. Brunch, lunch, or dinner, it's all delicious. We are always impressed with our servers. Very knowledgeable and attentive.Special Features:
- Good food, great venueeperrybDined on 7/25/2014A really lovely venue- good menu, decent wine list, helpful waitstaff, but the real star of the show is the space itself. It's open, airy, and well designed, with tables spaced far enough apart that you never feel you're on top of anyone else. Had family in town for the weekend and booked a reservation for 6 on Open Table an hour before we wanted to eat on a Friday night- met or exceeded my every hope.Special Features:
- Delicious Lunch with OfficeFoodie2VIPDined on 7/24/2014Sat outside and even during one of the hotter days of the summer, the shade from the massive, gorgeous tree in the courtyard provided a cool spot to enjoy. The Salmon BLT and Meat Loaf were favorites at the table - along with friend pickles for appetizer. Nice & quiet al fresco lunch, and we'll definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hurry before it's too late!TET62Dined on 7/19/2014Four of us had dinner at Leaf. I should have seen it coming when every 15 minute interval was available. My calamari was ice box cold on top of an OK Ceasar Salad. My friends brussel sprouts were so firm she couldn't eat them and another friends pasta was bearable. The fourt item, a rib-eye was good. We were given water about 40 minutes into the meal. I used to love this place but there are way too many other better places to go.Special Features:
- Nice restaurant with good food!DiningluvrDined on 7/17/2014Leaf was a really nice restaurant with well priced entrees and generous portions. Enjoyed the Leaf burgers and salad as well as the meatloaf. Our server was polite attentive and knowledgableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Leaf for lunchAgreatdineDined on 7/14/2014This was my second visit to Leaf, having had dinner there last November. The lunch menu had a great variety and each of our three choices were wonderful and definitely worthy of a return trip. The grilled ceasar salad was outstanding as was the grilled chicken and rice! All in all it was a very pleasant and relaxing dining experience.Special Features:
- The following 307 reviews are from the Leaf reviews archive.
- Great brunch spot (one caveat)JKPandFamilyDined on 7/6/2014We really enjoyed brunch. There was a live two piece band, nice atmosphere, and the food was great, especially the croissant with Brie, Apple, and bacon. Yum. The portions were huge. There was one problem: it's a kid friendly place and there were tons of families, but the restaurant has a cigarette vending machine next to the bathroom where unsupervised minors could access it. This is very troubling and possibly illegal. I hope they will remove it.Special Features:
- So soChrisNJDined on 6/28/2014Wife and a friend went here for dinner last week. Cesar salad (grilled lettuce head) was awesome, just needed more dressing. My steak was average, my wife's shrimp risotto was very good and I forget what our friend had. Overall a good meal and I'll give it another try.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice dinnerEvergreen888VIPDined on 6/28/2014We really enjoyed our dinner at Leaf. Several diners had commented that the quality had gone downhill recently, which I can't comment on, since we were just visiting Charleston, but the Lemon Chicken soup we shared was delicious, the salmon on my grilled Caesar salad was perfectly cooked, and my husband liked his crab cakes. I would definitely go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- dissappointedAshameDined on 6/15/2014My wife and I went to leaf for Brunch on Father's Day. Tried something new and thought the menu looked good. Staff welcoming and good atmosphere. I ordered the leaf benedict with crabcake . My leaf benedict had cold crab on a small piece of toast that was cold as well. The poached eggs on top were also cold, so much so that the yolk was solid and not runny at all. My wife got the leaf croissant which was supposed to be toasted ( but was cold), egg overcooked, and the apple and brie were cold as well. I would think you would have warm ingredients if you are toasting the croissant? I. We would have complained but we had 2 small kids and had to go. I should have known something was up when the food came out 2 minutes after ordering.Special Features: