15 Beaufain St.
Charleston, SC 29401Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.leafcharleston.com/
- Phone: 8437932230
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 11:00am - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Leaf
Awaken your culinary senses to Leaf - Charleston's premier café + bar featuring a casually chic atmosphere with indoor and outdoor transitional dining, Southern cosmopolitan cuisine, and a fine selection of wines.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Leaf reviews from OpenTable diners
101 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (69)neighborhood gem (40)great for lunch (35)fit for foodies (32)good for groups (31)great for brunch (28)romantic (19)vibrant bar scene (18)special occasion (18)kid-friendly (7)scenic view (6)hot spot (5)notable wine list (5)late-night find (4)Show More
- Thoroughly EnjoyableBeachgirl5835Dined on 8/23/2014Love this place. First met it on a restaurant crawl with a large group. This time, our family of four. Couldn't pick from all the great appetizers and entrees. To make it a bit more perfect, wish there was more of a choice in desserts- only two! But they both were good.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/21/2014One of my favorite places in Charleston, with sports bar, outdoor, and nicer dining area. Food is good and reasonably priced. Only complaint is beer prices are pretty steep. RASSpecial Features:
- Plenty of Reasons to Come Backdine2dayDined on 8/16/2014Dined at Leaf with 2 friends that had not been there before. They selected off the menu. I went with our server's recommendation; a wonderfully prepared summer scallop dish. All were excellent. Justin, our server, was attentive and pleasant. He shared that there's a new menu coming soon. This visit to Leaf confirmed for me why I keep coming back: a menu varied enough to satisfy everyone, nice wine list, consistent service and when our weather is more forgiving, a great outdoor dining space as well. Happy to have Leaf in my neighborhood whether for a meal or to meet with friends for cocktails; they have a great appetizer selection and also a tasty burger....don't pass up the truffle fries....yum!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedTravellerDined on 8/16/2014The bar area where you enter the restaurant is a great space, nicely decorated, and the large open bar in the center just makes the room feel friendly and interesting. The dining area feels spacious, with high windows, but the decorating is not very interesting We had the salmon and the meatloaf. The salmon was tasty and nicely presented. In contrast, the meatloaf was not a success. It was a huge chunk, mostly brown on color and blackened all along the edges. It was only mildly seasoned, not very interesting. It came with mashed potatoes and collard greens, and the collard greens were blackened and (for me) just about inedible. The presentation was essentially monochrome and offputting I was expecting more from this restaurant.
- Wonderful and DiverseStrasbourg06Dined on 8/16/2014Leaf was our destination to celebrate my daughters start at the College of Charleston and we were not disappointed. The choices were diverse and we passed all the meals around the table. While the Scallops came out on top, all dishes were enjoyed to the last crumb.Special Features:
- Leaf was great!TmarsDined on 8/16/2014Leaf was quiet, comfortable, and the staff was wonderful. We really enjoyed the food and the whole dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!LaurenlovestoeatVIPDined on 8/10/2014I wish we found this place our first day of the trip so we could have come for dinner as well, we ended up here for Sunday brunch. The food was great and the place is so cute. You can tell it would be a great date night spot. They had live music at brunch! You get a mimosa or bloody Mary with your meal as well!Special Features:
- DisappointedFoodiefamilyDined on 8/9/2014We love Charleston, especially the food, and this is one of the worst places we have encountered. Overpriced food and disappointing selection, we will not return.
- Don't go backOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014Salmon was overlooked, the linguine came out penne with a runny sauce, no steak knives were brought or small plates for the apps until we asked.
- Love it but disappointed this timegreyfoxDined on 8/4/2014We have been to Leaf many times in the last few years, and it became one of our favorites for a well prepared lunch or dinner restaurant. We usually take out of town guests to Leaf for that reason. Our visit on Aug 4 was disappointing. The Calamari we had was dried out and very tough and tasteless. The mussels were bland and some were dry and tough. The Risotto and Shrimp, usually one of our favorites, contained little shrimp. The bread was spongy and generic tasting. I do hope this experience was a one time event because we really like Leaf and would like to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch flopabbysue4uDined on 8/3/2014We went to Leaf for Sunday brunch after a wonderful weekend of food and fun in Charleston, and we were very disappointed that this was our final stop. The service was lazy and unfriendly, and the food wasn't much better. We got there right when they opened, but they ran out of hollandaise sauce so all of our eggs benedict dishes came out cold. The "side of fruit" was one slice of watermelon, and the portions were small for the price. The potatoes were the best thing on the plate, but we won't be going back for them any time soon.Special Features:
- Keep coming backtripleeeDined on 7/27/2014Another great experience at Leaf. Brunch, lunch, or dinner, it's all delicious. We are always impressed with our servers. Very knowledgeable and attentive.Special Features:
- Good food, great venueeperrybDined on 7/25/2014A really lovely venue- good menu, decent wine list, helpful waitstaff, but the real star of the show is the space itself. It's open, airy, and well designed, with tables spaced far enough apart that you never feel you're on top of anyone else. Had family in town for the weekend and booked a reservation for 6 on Open Table an hour before we wanted to eat on a Friday night- met or exceeded my every hope.Special Features:
- Delicious Lunch with OfficeFoodie2VIPDined on 7/24/2014Sat outside and even during one of the hotter days of the summer, the shade from the massive, gorgeous tree in the courtyard provided a cool spot to enjoy. The Salmon BLT and Meat Loaf were favorites at the table - along with friend pickles for appetizer. Nice & quiet al fresco lunch, and we'll definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hurry before it's too late!TET62Dined on 7/19/2014Four of us had dinner at Leaf. I should have seen it coming when every 15 minute interval was available. My calamari was ice box cold on top of an OK Ceasar Salad. My friends brussel sprouts were so firm she couldn't eat them and another friends pasta was bearable. The fourt item, a rib-eye was good. We were given water about 40 minutes into the meal. I used to love this place but there are way too many other better places to go.Special Features:
- Nice restaurant with good food!DiningluvrDined on 7/17/2014Leaf was a really nice restaurant with well priced entrees and generous portions. Enjoyed the Leaf burgers and salad as well as the meatloaf. Our server was polite attentive and knowledgableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Leaf for lunchAgreatdineDined on 7/14/2014This was my second visit to Leaf, having had dinner there last November. The lunch menu had a great variety and each of our three choices were wonderful and definitely worthy of a return trip. The grilled ceasar salad was outstanding as was the grilled chicken and rice! All in all it was a very pleasant and relaxing dining experience.Special Features:
- Great brunch spot (one caveat)JKPandFamilyDined on 7/6/2014We really enjoyed brunch. There was a live two piece band, nice atmosphere, and the food was great, especially the croissant with Brie, Apple, and bacon. Yum. The portions were huge. There was one problem: it's a kid friendly place and there were tons of families, but the restaurant has a cigarette vending machine next to the bathroom where unsupervised minors could access it. This is very troubling and possibly illegal. I hope they will remove it.Special Features:
- So soChrisNJDined on 6/28/2014Wife and a friend went here for dinner last week. Cesar salad (grilled lettuce head) was awesome, just needed more dressing. My steak was average, my wife's shrimp risotto was very good and I forget what our friend had. Overall a good meal and I'll give it another try.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice dinnerEvergreen888Dined on 6/28/2014We really enjoyed our dinner at Leaf. Several diners had commented that the quality had gone downhill recently, which I can't comment on, since we were just visiting Charleston, but the Lemon Chicken soup we shared was delicious, the salmon on my grilled Caesar salad was perfectly cooked, and my husband liked his crab cakes. I would definitely go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- dissappointedAshameDined on 6/15/2014My wife and I went to leaf for Brunch on Father's Day. Tried something new and thought the menu looked good. Staff welcoming and good atmosphere. I ordered the leaf benedict with crabcake . My leaf benedict had cold crab on a small piece of toast that was cold as well. The poached eggs on top were also cold, so much so that the yolk was solid and not runny at all. My wife got the leaf croissant which was supposed to be toasted ( but was cold), egg overcooked, and the apple and brie were cold as well. I would think you would have warm ingredients if you are toasting the croissant? I. We would have complained but we had 2 small kids and had to go. I should have known something was up when the food came out 2 minutes after ordering.Special Features:
- SurprisedAndyDined on 6/14/2014Decided to try Leaf for date night. When we arrived we were worried as we were the only people on the patio on a Saturday night. But the more people showed up throughout the dinner and the food was outstanding. The eggroll appetizer was terrific and the rest of the meal did not disappoint. Off the King Street path but worth the visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something has changedKathrynVIPDined on 6/13/2014I'm a regular at Leaf. I love the bacadillo, the cucumber lemonade and the overall feel of the place. But something has changed. The bocadillo used to be so gooey with cheese and butter on the bread and this great crispy bread. Friday night it was on texas toast with almost no butter and the cheese wasn't melty; it was just not nearly as good. I ordered the chicken under a brick, and although it was quite tasty, it was so tiny; literally a chicken thigh. The service was really bad. A nice guy, but extremely slow. I had to go to the bar to get waters and silverware. No anticipatory service. I tried to change the reservation and they acted like it was really difficult to do, but when we got there, there was almost no one in the restaurant.Special Features:
- AwfulPoorVIPDined on 6/13/2014Server was nice but inattentive; drinks stayed empty, food was late and cold. Burger was the only decent thing. Risotto was starchy and flavorless, salad had chewy chicken and the wrong (unadvertised) dressing and accoutrements, and atmosphere was blah. Wanted to like it because it seems like a great local place but it was just awful. Don't waste your money.
- Leaf ReviewDRLLVIPDined on 6/12/2014This is one of our favorite restaurants in Charleston. Great food and service. The bar is open to the patio and very welcoming when you walk in. We always sit there. The bartenders are very friendly.Special Features:
- Leaf ReviewGrapegirlDined on 6/7/2014A great find, wonderful food, not a huge choice on the menu but plenty to suit all tastes. Ingredients were fresh and flavorful. Presentation excellent. Staff were helpful and attentive. Lighting was a little understated on the patio and the menu was difficult to read once it went dark. Certainly going on my list of favorites for Charleston.Special Features:
- Perfect Location-Enjoyable MealNYCSueVIPDined on 6/6/2014Leaf was so conveniently located to dine well between Spoleto performances. The Shrimp Cocktail and Fried Oyster appetizers were perfect starters. Moussaka and Scallops were nice, lighter entrees. The patio is a very nice place to be on a late spring evening, so we were totally happy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect dinner before showstarfireDined on 6/3/2014Service started a tad slow but once they realized we were trying to make a concert, really pulled out the stops to make sure we had quick service AND were able to enjoy our meal (very quick but not rushed). Duck egg roll was crisp and fresh and the roasted beet and arugula salad was perfectly executed with a nice balance of flavors.Special Features:
- Not badAdibiDined on 5/31/2014I have been here before. It's not really a memorable place, but it's not bad and it's one of the few places in downtown Charleston where you can eat outside. We had show tickets, so we made the reservation 3 weeks in advance and yet they had us waiting for 30 minutes to sit us (though the outdoor area was almost empty) once we sat down, we decided to order only appetizers due to lack of time and still took over 30 minutes to get our food. They might have been having a bad day, but the metre just didn't seem too organized.Special Features:
- Good choice for lunchiopsc2014Dined on 5/31/2014Leaf is a pleasant get away from the crowds on King Street, yet only a block off Kings and walkable from central Charleston. It offers limited free parking. Their Parmesan Fries were excellent as was the Smoked Salmon BLT. The fish in Fish and Chips was cooked perfectly, and the cilantro coleslaw was a welcome change from mayonnaise based dressings. Definitely will go back again for lunch and for dinner. Good wine menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem in CharlestonHilaryDined on 5/28/2014We love Leaf. We have been on a few occasions for lunch and for just drinks at happy hour. Each time was excellent. The food and the staff are amazing. Eating outside under the branches of their giant tree is really special. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Risotto disappointingEileendnsDined on 5/25/2014Inconsistent, starchy, tasteless. A disappointment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect spot for Sunday BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/25/2014Although I have eaten here on many occasions, this was my first brunch at Leaf. It was DELICIOUS!!! The service was great!! The ambiance was delightful….really enjoyed the jazz duo! Highly recommend this place for any meal….brunch, lunch, or dinner. It is hard to beat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unfortunate BrunchjustjanicepdxDined on 5/25/2014Had great experiences in the past at Leaf, unfortunately standards have slipped. Went for Sunday brunch with my husband and son. We were seated on the patio. Our waiter introduced himself twice. Not a good sign. We waited over 45 minutes for our food. I watched the people seated next to us leave because they had been ignored. There were plenty of staff and as it was after 1pm they were not slammed. When our food finally arrived it was barely warm. My son had about 6 potato pieces on his plate as a side to his burger. My salmon BLT was barely edible. My second glass of wine was comp'd due to the sluggish service. There are many fabulous restaurants in Charleston and I would recommend trying them before resorting to Leaf.
- Feel CharlestonFindingNewDined on 5/25/2014A great place for Sunday Brunch..and GREAT parking next to FREE. Brunch under live Oak Trees on a brick court yard surrounded by the irongrill fences popular in CharlestonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!jerricaDined on 5/24/2014We had great experience. Had a reservation for Sat. night and the greeter gave us our choice of seating. We chose the small table between the outside and inside dining and it was perfect. All of the food that we ordered was delicious and well-prepared. Not an extremely extensive menu but all of the food was good. Seemed like there were many cocktail and drink choices but we aren't drinkers. Craig, our server, was very good, enthusiastic but not pushy. The bar also seemed very "happening." Only wish they had desserts too!Special Features:
- Outdoor dining 1 block from King StvillefoodieVIPDined on 5/24/2014Leaf has a very large patio for outdoor dining, so it has a nice European feel and with mild May weather, perfect. We had the portobello and oyster po boy sandwiches and both were delicious-- the best part, though were the fabulous truffle fries. They were delightful and added to that European lunch experience. Highly recommended for outdoor lunch or brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thursday night table for two2OutofTownersDined on 5/22/2014Great appetizers, loved the duck spring rolls. Fried oysters were good, wished for a bit more crisp. Beautiful scallop entrée. Great steak frites. Roasted beet salad arrived same time with entrées and large enough to share. Liked the chocolate mousse. It had hint of hazelnut and bites that reminded us of Ferrero Rocher chocolate balls. Amazing, refreshing tasty cocktails (golden iris, drunken mule...). Good quality espresso. Friendly service in nice ambiance. Our table was inside, right at the edge of beautiful outdoor courtyard patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/18/2014The patio was an ideal spot for a relaxed brunch with friends.Special Features:
- Nice AtmosphereJAJGDined on 5/16/2014The atmosphere was really nice with options to dine inside or out. Meatloaf and duck meals were very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.