1927 E Passyunk Ave
Philadelphia, PA 19148Neighborhood:
South Street / Queen Village
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.levirtu.com/
- Phone: 2152715626
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Joe Cicala
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Phone inquiries only.
A word from Le Virtu
The inspiration for Le Virtù (The Virtues) comes from our experiences at the tables of family, friends and farm restaurants all over Abruzzo. Each dish is rooted in or inspired by Abruzzese culinary tradition, ingredients or philosophy. We serve the cuisine of the shepherds, farmers and fishermen of Italy"s wildest, most unspoiled region. We source all we can from the surrounding "terra": naturally raised pork from Berks County; lamb, chicken and rabbit from Lancaster County; New Jersey and Pennsylvania produce. What we can't find locally, we import from Abruzzo: artisanal honey and cheeses (some of the rarest in America); L'Aquila saffron; dried pastas; even the flour we use to make our fresh pasta. We are one of few restaurants in America so dedicated to the culinary traditions of a specific region of Italy and one of the country's most authentic Italian dining experiences.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Le Virtu reviews from OpenTable diners
155 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (99)great for outdoor dining (89)neighborhood gem (88)special occasion (64)romantic (48)notable wine list (40)good for groups (26)hot spot (13)vibrant bar scene (11)late-night find (6)scenic view (5)kid-friendly (3)great for lunch (2)Show More
- The Best of the bestDebbVIPDined on 10/18/2014Our friends were in awe The food amazing I ate things that wee new for me The waitperson professional and knowledgeable We all loved itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gourmet diningoutandaboutVIPDined on 10/18/2014I found the food to definitely be superior in quality, creativity and presentation. The chef has a great knack for insightful creations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the most delicious foodashndonDined on 10/3/2014Went to Philadelphia for a weekend and looked up a list of philadelphia's best restaurants. Le Virtu was one the list. Such great food. I just wanted to drink the gravy tge chicken came in. Dont remember dish names unfortunately but everything was cooked to perfection and tender and delicious. Going back for certain.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant place to beEyeBVIPDined on 10/2/2014Nice surroundings, very good service, food enjoyable but too salty(altho less so than previously). Descriptions of the dishes sometimes better than the taste. Pasta with pistachio pesto was very good while pasta with mussels was not especially interesting. Desserts were good except the semifreddo, which was hard and tasted old. In other words, inconsistent, which is disappointing, especially at this price point.Special Features:
- peachesDined on 9/30/2014We celebrated our wedding anniversary with friends - had a delicious dinner and wonderful service. We ate outside and felt like we were in Italy. It was a lovely evening!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic, precise and delicious!juliocasoyVIPDined on 9/29/2014Le Virtu would be a great restaurant to find in Abruzzo. We are lucky to have it in Philadelphia. Ingredients, raw materials, spices, meats of the highest quality transformed in delicious plates by a chef and kitchen staff with great sense of aesthetics. Each plate provides a combination of flavor, aroma and visual attractiveness. The waiters and staff are professional, helpful and friendly. Good food, good wine and nice smiles.Special Features:
- Worth it!McKayDined on 9/29/2014Amazing house made pasta! Best I've had since Italy, and I eat a lot of Italian food. Truly authentic dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- centercitygalVIPDined on 9/29/2014We have never been disappointed here. The food is creative, interesting and delicious. We are regulars!Special Features:
- Wonderful dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/28/2014We have been meaning to come here for some time. Finally had dinner here last Sunday...everything was delicious and quite memorable. We especially loved the green tomato croustade.... cant wait to go back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/27/2014Awesome dinner. Menu is set up in such a way as they dine IN ABBRUZZI! 4 courses...and dessert, if you can fit it in. Authentic, every dish is done perfectly, as it is ordered. Everything served hot, so it's obvious that the dishes are not left "waiting" for a "pick up' by staff. Wine list is interesting, wait staff helpful. ONE of THE nicest resturants in Philly. Don't get "cheap", just sit back, order & enjoy. IT's worth every penny. Truly, an experience, not just a "dinner out".Special Features:
- Outstanding Farm to TablepcolaDined on 9/26/2014Le Virtu is an extraordinary dining experience. It outshines the restaurant scene in Boston's Little Italy. It can stand a test with the best in San Francisco. Katerie, our server, was knowledgeable and quietly attentive. She knows the menu and wine list forward and back. The spreadable Calabrese salame was amazing. Abruzzo's cuisine is excellent at Le Virtu. When I return to Philadelphia, I will dine again at Le Virtu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not your typical menuanastasiaDined on 9/26/2014Menu changes and has not your ordinary Italian dishes. I has macaroni with pistachio pesto. It was fantastic. People in my party had duck ravioli, trout and handkerchief pasta with lamb. The burrata and tomato salad appetizer was the best I've ever had. Dessert was marscapone gelato over a bluberry torte. Service was excellent. Two teenage boys were part of our party of six and they left nothing on their plates. They have outdoor seating in a decent sized courtyard for South Philadelphia.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AccommodatingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014Pleasant experience, food was good and service appropriate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great calamari!HungryTravellerVIPDined on 9/18/2014The restaurant has a great outdoor space and the service was very attentive. We tried several appetizers including the clamari and the lamb skewers. Both were outstanding. I had the rabbit, it was a little dry but very tasty. The quail special was delicious. Would recommend the beignets for dessert. Prices were high versus comparable food quality we've enjoyed elsewhere.Special Features:
- Il cibo di abruzzo! Fantastico!CrustyCurmudgeonVIPDined on 9/17/2014Le Virtu never fails to delight, with food that's different from any other place in Philly (& the rest of the country, with very few exceptions). Everything from planning & preparation to plating & serving to eating and enjoying is genuine & authentic Italian, focused on the delights of Abruzzo with nods to other regions, e.g. N'duja is Calabrian in origin (& this one is just wonderful). We also had maccheroni alla mugnaia (thick, delicious long-strand pasta with VERY hot dried peppers, garlic & olive oil), burrata, an excellent salad, & brodetto Casalese (seafood stew with couscous). We scored another great wine find too: cagnulari (a rare Sardinian grape making a lighter bodied red with bright but very dry fruit & modest tannins). Viva!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OkbuckDined on 9/12/2014Great menu but the food was mildly disappointing. I had the lamb skewers which were fattier than expected. I hate chewey fat. However, the pasta with sausage and truffles(?)was delicious. Our waiter was helpful and nice but his breath was aweful. Could smell it 3 feet away. I could see why people love this place but I had a bit of an off experience.Special Features:
- Loved the RestaurantCarmel2963Dined on 9/11/2014The restaurant had a lovely mural in the garden dining area that had elements from the remote area of Italy where the owners family was from and featured food from that region. The pasta with truffles was outstanding. The wines were some of the best we had in years and we're from California.the owner was very friendly and the waiter anticipated our every needSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So Incredibly Good!FableFactDined on 9/10/2014This was our second dinner at Le Virtu and once again everything was absolutely delicious -- delicate and divine -- from the calamari salad appetizer to the polenta cake for dessert. Awesome! This is now our favorite restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding serviceJustCuriousDined on 9/6/2014Our server was amazing...professional, personable and incredibly knowledgeable, providing us with detailed explanations of ingredients, preparation techniques and food/wine pairings. His wine recommendation was perfect, as was the appetizer (egg and cheese croquettes), which we would not have selected had it not been for his wonderful description. The salads (lemon-poached calamari and summer greens) were good, though the portions were a bit too large. An unusual perk was the chef's willingness to omit meat from some pasta dishes. Our problem was with the overly-salted pastas. The semifredo was a delicious dessert. It was the service, wine and dessert which earned our favor; too bad the main courses were a bit disappointing.Special Features:
- Le Virtu - Good but not awesomeGFflamingoDined on 9/2/2014The food is good - but not as awesome as one would have thought with the Yelp and Philadelphia reviews. While I am gluten free and I appreciate them offering gluten free pasta, the portions are small for their cost and the taste is so so on some dishes and almost perfect on others. It was almost like dodging a ball - I didn't know if each dish would be be a disappointment or something to remember. Service on the other hand - was perfect! :)Special Features:
- Authentically NiceChaseVIPDined on 8/31/2014Looking for a meal at a time more consistent with European culture, we made our way into this place at the very end of their dining service. It was the perfect setup for a foodie disaster but, low and behold, we were impressed. Service was great. The staff was very friendly. The food was great. We really liked this place and will go back to explore more of the menu.Special Features:
- Exceptional!BobbyLovejoyDined on 8/31/2014Wonderful choices so varied and intelligently and appetizingly organized, beautifully prepared in a classy unpretentious ambience that speaks of love for the Abruzzo region of Italy.Special Features:
- centercitygalVIPDined on 8/24/2014Always love this place, especially eating outdoors. Only disappointment was the lamb skewers, which had too much fat. Otherwise, terrific.Special Features:
- Delicious unpretentious foodpassion4fdVIPDined on 8/22/2014The dishes were perfectly cooked and tasty. At our table we had the calamari salad, handkerchief pasta with pork, grilled trout and pork belly- all fabulous. Great spot for authentic Italian. Only caution is that the portions are generous so be prepared to take some home. Wine list was focused primarily on southern italy with some tuscany wines- good selections and the waiter did not ster us wrong. Would highly recommend if you are in the mood for excellent italian.Special Features:
- Always a Great MealMatildaDined on 8/22/2014I love Le Virtu - it's a special occasion meal if you are going with an app, entree and 2 drinks per person but you can also go and have house wine and a plate of pasta (the most dreamy pasta you'll ever eat) for $30 for a less expensive evening. If you don't have a reservation you can always sit at the bar, the service is better at the bar. The wait staff leaves a little to be desired in the service department. You have to ask for water refills and they aren't the most attentive (this note comes from many visits) but to be honest, it's the place we take our out of town guests, anyone celebrating a birthday or sometimes a Friday night dinner at the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wowed again!fdenthusiastVIPDined on 8/16/2014Our first meal was so memorable at Le Virtu that we returned with our 2 sons, alll of whom are foodies. It did not disappoint. From the lamb skewers, sausage with blueberries and syrup, saffron pasta with mushrooms and spreadable salami to the slow cooked pork main dish and then on to a most delicious chocolate semifredo with torrone and a mixed berry "pie", we were delighted. And the wine from Puglia was absolutely delicious. This felt casual while feeling truly special. We will return!Special Features:
- The outdoor space addsTkapVIPDined on 8/15/2014The food at Le Virtu is always good, but if it's a nice night and you can grab a table outside, do. The courtyard has a great feel. The food was, once again, really special. I really enjoy this place every time we come.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing experience - Le VirtuLaurieDined on 8/14/2014Chose Le Virtu for a celebratory dinner, was disappointed in every aspect of the experience. Service was aloof/slow, even though crowd was light. Food was hit/miss - half of my mussels did not open in my dish, salad was overdressed, roast chicken was fleshy but so hot as to be rendered tasteless. Glass of Sauvingnon Blanc stale. Called to speak to manager a few days later as I mulled over my experience, and was chastised by him that the correct way to handle complaints was to speak up during dinner. When I explained that the dinner was a multigenerational family dinner celebration - we were focused on just being together, he continued to instruct me as to how I handled it wrong. So many opportunities for service recovery, none taken.
- Amazing Find!!!!!chrischen7Dined on 8/12/2014This place was a gem, an absolutely fantastic restaurant. Everything was perfect, from service to food to atmosphere. Our party kept growing, increasing from 8 to 10 to 12 to 13 and the management team did a remarkable job of making us feel at home, and more importantly making it work for our group. We ordered family style and let the waiter and chef order all our food. They addressed the vegetarian diets of a few guests with amazing dishes also. I have no doubt that I will return when I am in Philly again. All of our business guests raved about this place, and mentioned how wonderful it was that we went to a non-chain establishment without any quality of food or service compromise.Special Features:
- unique and excellentratbagDined on 8/10/2014Specializing in food from the Italian region, Abbruzzo, Le Virtu has items that previously only showed up on traditional home tables. Rare pastas, homemade sausages, savory long-cooked meats. What a gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow Service - Food UnusualGeorgeDined on 8/9/2014To be fair, there might be people who love the artistry of food more than actually eating it. Those people would love this place. That's cool, just not for me. More troubling was the service. The waiter, a portly gentleman, seemed scattered and repeatedly would walk past our table, blatantly ignoring us. By that I mean he would ignore signals that we are ready to order (putting our menus down, etc), ready to ask about dessert (we eventually gave up on that, as the wait was so long), and that we were ready to get the check. When we were ready to order, we put our menus down to indicate our readiness. In each case, we did everything possible to show that we were ready, trying to make eye contact as he trundled by, to no avail.Special Features:
- Lackluster ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/9/2014If you look at my other reviews you will almost never see me mention service. I don't think mediocre service can mar great food nor do I think top-notch service can hide average cuisine -- And I care about the food. Le Virtu was the exception to this rule. The service was so poor that even though the food was good to very good, my family could not fully enjoy the experience. We were seated at 7:15. We did not order until 8:00. We had to grab the waiter to hear the specials and he ran away before we could order. Two nearby tables received every service before us, despite being seated after us. I don't have space for all of the service mishaps. Needless to say, the well-cooked, tasty pasta was overshadowed by a very bad front of the house.
- Wonderful DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/9/2014We enjoyed our meal at Le Virtu. The outdoor dining was beautiful and very spacious. The menu selections were different and they had things we things you don't find at many restaurants. The meals we selected where delicious. It was very relaxing and we didn't feel rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit every noteTaxDanDined on 8/9/2014Went with a group of 4 with varied tastes. Menu had several uncommon dishes that required questions which server answered descriptively. Menu provided comfort and uniqueness. Ordered a diverse and unusual group of dishes. Every dish was great from bread and olive oil to 4 desserts. I may not get the spelling correct but the Palotte Cac'e Ove was a real delight. I was upset when the group was unwilling to order grilled Lamb appetizer but I loved the Lamb entrée with mashed cece. Deep in Souh Philly but worh the trip. My friends gave me much praise for finding this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always good foodfoodieDined on 8/5/2014Rose wines were excellent - good ones are hard to find in the states great cosmosSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not pleasedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/2/2014My wife and I made reservations here for our anniversary and we're not pleased withe the service or the food. We select the place based in reviews written here and on other sites, so many we were just there at the wrong time. Firsts, even though we asked for a romantic table when we arrived, we were jammed into a corner table next tot the kitchen. Second, our food was very bland and it worth the high price and the service was mediocre. Needless to say, with so many choices in this neighborhood alone, we will not be returning.Special Features:
- Wonderful Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/2/2014Just returned from Italy and found the food to be just as good. We had a fantastic meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- main course excellent..apps lame.MurphManDined on 8/2/2014the atmosphere was very nice. The appetizers were less than par. We order the lamb skewers that were basically all fat. the main dishes were excellent. I would recommend this and just hope that we caught them on a bad day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placePleasedDined on 8/1/2014I had a nice dinner there with my friend. The staff was very accommodating with our timing & made sure we were in & out quickly. I really liked my salad & I actually liked my friends dinner a bit more than my rabbit. And the lemon sorbet was really yummy!! It was overall a nice dinner, but we probably won't be going back because we are from out of town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gets better every timechickVIPDined on 7/27/2014This is the best Italian restaurant in Philly, hands down. Service was really good until it got crowded and then slowed down. Would have loved to have dessert....maybe next time.Special Features: