1927 E Passyunk Ave
Philadelphia, PA 19148Neighborhood:
South Street / Queen Village
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.levirtu.com/
- Phone: 2152715626
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Joe Cicala
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Phone inquiries only.
A word from Le Virtu
The inspiration for Le Virtù (The Virtues) comes from our experiences at the tables of family, friends and farm restaurants all over Abruzzo. Each dish is rooted in or inspired by Abruzzese culinary tradition, ingredients or philosophy. We serve the cuisine of the shepherds, farmers and fishermen of Italy"s wildest, most unspoiled region. We source all we can from the surrounding "terra": naturally raised pork from Berks County; lamb, chicken and rabbit from Lancaster County; New Jersey and Pennsylvania produce. What we can't find locally, we import from Abruzzo: artisanal honey and cheeses (some of the rarest in America); L'Aquila saffron; dried pastas; even the flour we use to make our fresh pasta. We are one of few restaurants in America so dedicated to the culinary traditions of a specific region of Italy and one of the country's most authentic Italian dining experiences.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Le Virtu reviews from OpenTable diners
177 reviews since April 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (117)great for outdoor dining (103)neighborhood gem (99)special occasion (78)romantic (61)notable wine list (52)good for groups (32)hot spot (15)vibrant bar scene (10)scenic view (8)great for brunch (6)great for lunch (5)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (4)Show More
- Wowed again!fdenthusiastVIPDined on 8/16/2014Our first meal was so memorable at Le Virtu that we returned with our 2 sons, alll of whom are foodies. It did not disappoint. From the lamb skewers, sausage with blueberries and syrup, saffron pasta with mushrooms and spreadable salami to the slow cooked pork main dish and then on to a most delicious chocolate semifredo with torrone and a mixed berry "pie", we were delighted. And the wine from Puglia was absolutely delicious. This felt casual while feeling truly special. We will return!Special Features:
- The outdoor space addsTkapVIPDined on 8/15/2014The food at Le Virtu is always good, but if it's a nice night and you can grab a table outside, do. The courtyard has a great feel. The food was, once again, really special. I really enjoy this place every time we come.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Find!!!!!chrischen7Dined on 8/12/2014This place was a gem, an absolutely fantastic restaurant. Everything was perfect, from service to food to atmosphere. Our party kept growing, increasing from 8 to 10 to 12 to 13 and the management team did a remarkable job of making us feel at home, and more importantly making it work for our group. We ordered family style and let the waiter and chef order all our food. They addressed the vegetarian diets of a few guests with amazing dishes also. I have no doubt that I will return when I am in Philly again. All of our business guests raved about this place, and mentioned how wonderful it was that we went to a non-chain establishment without any quality of food or service compromise.Special Features:
- unique and excellentratbagDined on 8/10/2014Specializing in food from the Italian region, Abbruzzo, Le Virtu has items that previously only showed up on traditional home tables. Rare pastas, homemade sausages, savory long-cooked meats. What a gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow Service - Food UnusualGeorgeDined on 8/9/2014To be fair, there might be people who love the artistry of food more than actually eating it. Those people would love this place. That's cool, just not for me. More troubling was the service. The waiter, a portly gentleman, seemed scattered and repeatedly would walk past our table, blatantly ignoring us. By that I mean he would ignore signals that we are ready to order (putting our menus down, etc), ready to ask about dessert (we eventually gave up on that, as the wait was so long), and that we were ready to get the check. When we were ready to order, we put our menus down to indicate our readiness. In each case, we did everything possible to show that we were ready, trying to make eye contact as he trundled by, to no avail.Special Features:
- Lackluster ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/9/2014If you look at my other reviews you will almost never see me mention service. I don't think mediocre service can mar great food nor do I think top-notch service can hide average cuisine -- And I care about the food. Le Virtu was the exception to this rule. The service was so poor that even though the food was good to very good, my family could not fully enjoy the experience. We were seated at 7:15. We did not order until 8:00. We had to grab the waiter to hear the specials and he ran away before we could order. Two nearby tables received every service before us, despite being seated after us. I don't have space for all of the service mishaps. Needless to say, the well-cooked, tasty pasta was overshadowed by a very bad front of the house.
- Wonderful DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/9/2014We enjoyed our meal at Le Virtu. The outdoor dining was beautiful and very spacious. The menu selections were different and they had things we things you don't find at many restaurants. The meals we selected where delicious. It was very relaxing and we didn't feel rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit every noteTaxDanDined on 8/9/2014Went with a group of 4 with varied tastes. Menu had several uncommon dishes that required questions which server answered descriptively. Menu provided comfort and uniqueness. Ordered a diverse and unusual group of dishes. Every dish was great from bread and olive oil to 4 desserts. I may not get the spelling correct but the Palotte Cac'e Ove was a real delight. I was upset when the group was unwilling to order grilled Lamb appetizer but I loved the Lamb entrée with mashed cece. Deep in Souh Philly but worh the trip. My friends gave me much praise for finding this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always good foodfoodieDined on 8/5/2014Rose wines were excellent - good ones are hard to find in the states great cosmosSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not pleasedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/2/2014My wife and I made reservations here for our anniversary and we're not pleased withe the service or the food. We select the place based in reviews written here and on other sites, so many we were just there at the wrong time. Firsts, even though we asked for a romantic table when we arrived, we were jammed into a corner table next tot the kitchen. Second, our food was very bland and it worth the high price and the service was mediocre. Needless to say, with so many choices in this neighborhood alone, we will not be returning.Special Features:
- Wonderful Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/2/2014Just returned from Italy and found the food to be just as good. We had a fantastic meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- main course excellent..apps lame.MurphManDined on 8/2/2014the atmosphere was very nice. The appetizers were less than par. We order the lamb skewers that were basically all fat. the main dishes were excellent. I would recommend this and just hope that we caught them on a bad day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placePleasedDined on 8/1/2014I had a nice dinner there with my friend. The staff was very accommodating with our timing & made sure we were in & out quickly. I really liked my salad & I actually liked my friends dinner a bit more than my rabbit. And the lemon sorbet was really yummy!! It was overall a nice dinner, but we probably won't be going back because we are from out of town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gets better every timechickVIPDined on 7/27/2014This is the best Italian restaurant in Philly, hands down. Service was really good until it got crowded and then slowed down. Would have loved to have dessert....maybe next time.Special Features:
- centercitygalVIPDined on 7/25/2014We think this is the best Italian restaurant in the city. The menu is creative, and the chef is constantly adding new and wonderful dishes.Special Features:
- Great place to goBruceVIPDined on 7/19/2014The meal and service were great. We have been there several times before and each time it is truly memorable. The chef was able to take care of on ordering, an issue with substituting for potatoes for one in the party. Some places, the chef is so absorbed in his parings of food that they forget the customers needs/ desires. Not here. We will certainly return again and againSpecial Features:
- supper timedeanDined on 7/18/2014It was great. My date and I loved the atmosphere. The food was amazing. Wished to have more. Gonna come Again soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great outdoor diningOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/16/2014Probably one of the best Italian restaurant in Philadelphia (which has some of the best Italian food in the US). Excellent pastas and beautiful outdoor dining space--a rarity. Also great that it is BYOB.Special Features:
- Abruzzo heavenknifeforkDined on 7/16/2014This gem of a regional Italian restaurant features cuisine of Abruzzo. All of the pasta dishes are fantastic, with the ragus being especially good. It is meat (lamb, pork) and game (rabbit, quail) oriented, but there are some very good, but limited, choices for vegetarians. The wait staff are very friendly and accommodating. The wine list is quite good, with reasonably priced, cuisine-matched, wines. About $50/person with wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great but overpricedPizzaloverDined on 7/15/2014I loved the appetizers. But the antipasto was $29! My primo piatto was so very delicious but I had to eat it slowly so as not to be done in 4 minutes. All vegetables are done to perfection. Simply great desserts. The granita is amazing but, again, pricey. Mangia bene al ristorante Le Virtu (but save up before you go).
- Graduation CelebrationCelebrationDined on 7/14/2014We took our daughter and some friends and family to Le Virtu to celebrate her graduation from culinary school. The service was attentive and exceptional...the food included homemade pasta (rabbit raviolis, handkerchief pasta in porcini sauce), house cured meats, porketta, seafood in a thick, nicely spiced red sauce…and on and on. Exceptional Italian wine list. We’ll be back!Special Features:
- Too expensive great serviceDnaplesDined on 7/12/2014Very expensive and the high prices do not match the quality of food.My wife and I have been to nearly every italian restarant in south philly so this is not a bogus review Not one bottle if wine under $40 she got spaghetti with garlic and oil We know al dente this was hard as a rock the pasta with lamb ragu was good but portions are very small. Lucky we loaded up on bread Service was excellent though.Special Features:
- PhillyRichVIPDined on 7/11/2014Creative and imaginative cuisine that is not your average Italian . Far from it! Attentive and knowledgable service as well. Dinner in the garden on a summer night is a true delightSpecial Features:
- Awesome restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/7/2014We tried Le Virtu for our 35th wedding anniversary dinner and had a wonderful evening! The food was delicious, the outdoor ambiance was fabulous, and our waiter was superb. If you are looking for fresh, innovative Italian food, we highly recommend Le Vertu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful!DeborahDined on 7/7/2014We went to Le Virtu to celebrate my son's 27th birthday. He had heard the food was amazing and it truly was. I have eaten pasta at many places in the US and in Italy. This pasta rivaled any I had tasted in Italy and hands down beat any I have had in the US. Beautifully presented and flavors that I am still raving about to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Le Virtuelm1VIPDined on 7/5/2014We've been dining regularly at Le Virtu practically from the time it opened. It is consistently outstanding in terms of food, service, and ambience. A Philadelphia gem!I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food - slow serviceMDRDMDined on 7/5/2014would have preferred an outdoor table but inddors was still nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HungrygirlDined on 6/26/2014The service started a little slowly but then it picked up. The food was outstanding! Every dish was excellent. After dinner the staff was very social and give us recommendations because we were new to the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dug itfoodeDined on 6/25/2014went there for a birthday dinner. Food and service were excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Atmosphere, Food- mehPhillyPhoodieDined on 6/21/2014We sat outside on a Saturday night, at 9:00 and it was absolutely gorgeous out- the weather and the art and the lights were lovely and we settled in, very excited. Our service was excellent. We were VERY excited about the wine "on tap" that but were actually told it was young and fruit forward and we probably wouldn't like it. We had the duck confit with cherry salad which was great, the spreadable salame was a bit TOO spicy. The rabbit ravioli is one of my favorite dishes I've ever had, but the lobster in the pasta was way overcooked. I had the brodetto and every piece of seafood was overcooked, but the porchetta was falling apart and delicious. The lemon and earl gray parfait was perfection- the crostata was fine, but not exciting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely courtyard; delicious foodGloGDined on 6/20/2014There were 8 of us for an early summer get-together before we all disperse. Each person actually loved the food, the wait staff and being outside on a cool beautiful night in the lovely courtyard with the mural that transports one directly to Italy. The food is Italian but blending unique spices with hand crafted pastas, great preparations of meat, seafood, etc. The presentation is also creative and added to the relaxed, yet wow factor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly Recommended!BARivDined on 6/19/2014Great dinner and night out. The attentiveness of the hostess was exceptional. The food was outstanding and outdoor seating made was a perfect romantic seating to celebrate our 20th anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get more pastaAdgilmanDined on 6/18/2014We went for my birthday dinner. The food was overall good, but maybe a little over-hyped. We really enjoyed the pasta. If we go back we will order more pasta and fewer mains/antipastos. The ravioli were awesome- and I wish we had gotten the hand drawn spaghetti.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful Dinnerces5Dined on 6/15/2014I've gone here twice for dinner with my husband and friends, and the food is outstanding. Very good price for the quality of food and service. Great drink options. The setting is quiet, peaceful and romantic. It has a beautiful outdoor patio dining area as well. I will definitely be going back again.Special Features:
- Save your airfare to Abruzzi.MangiafagioliDined on 6/15/2014Le Virtu is exceptional. This is authentic, seasonal Italian cooking at its best. There is real love and respect for "cucina Abruzzese" coming from this spotless tiny kitchen. Layers of flavor are masterfully incorporated into regional pasta and Secondi dishes. Antipasti are unique and all delicious. We have dined 5 times in the last year and have always been pleasedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YaleOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/12/2014Overall the experience was a good one. The bar was friendly. Our table was ready and waiting. The room was welcoming and cozy. The service was excellent. The wine list consisted of a wide variety of Italian reds priced moderately to expensive. The menu offered antipasti, primi & secondi. We ordered from the antipasti and the secondi selections. All dishes were delicious except mine. The rabbit was over cooked and dried out. I would definitely return and try other dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Convenient to airportLongtimeOTVIPVIPDined on 6/12/2014We had an early dinner before departing for a weekend trip. Excellent specialty cocktails offered. So many pasta options but the guitar with knuckle lobster made available to us as an appetizer (and split for us, nice touch) was outstanding. We shared the special fish entree -- turbo -- which was very good. Special peach dessert was good, we took it to go and enjoyed it on the plane!Special Features:
- ExcellentBritTenVIPDined on 6/8/2014I have been to Le Virtu many times more in the past than recent, the food, service and over all quality of the restaurant is excellent. In my opinion one of Philadelphia's best Italian gems.Special Features:
- A wonderful experiencecentercitygalVIPDined on 6/8/2014What could be more delightful than sitting out on a lovely patio and enjoying delicious food! LeVirtu has been consistently satisfying, with a creative menu that is always innovating. Terrific!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/8/2014This is the 2nd time i've eaten here. Is one of my favorites on Passyunk Ave. Food is consistently good. THeir pasta dishes are outstanding. i would definetly return to try more dishes.Special Features: