133 Clement Street
San Francisco, CA 94118Neighborhood:
Fusion / EclecticPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://lesoleilsf.com/
- Phone: 4156684848
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: M, W-Su 11:30am-3:00pm
Dinner: M, W-Su 5:00pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Vietnamese
- Executive Chef: Dennis Wong
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Happy Hour, Personal wines welcome, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Le Soleil
Le Soleil, a marriage of Vietnamese and French styles with a unique contrast of flavors. Chef Dennis's next venture was Le Soleil, which gave him the opportunity to reach beyond the boundaries of tradition. His marriage of Vietnamese and French styles presented gourmands a unique contrast of flavors. Stylishly appointed through Annie's eye for beauty and Dennis's flair for cooking , the fine dining experience of Le Soleil quickly spread. It has earned acclaim and recognition from numerous culinary critics, also voted the number one restaurant in 1996 by the San Francisco Focus Magazine. With many other culinary awards that followed, it was featured by various travel magazines, local and foreign newspapers as one of the "must try" restaurants in San Francisco.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Le Soleil reviews from OpenTable diners
21 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (16)fit for foodies (11)great for lunch (9)good for groups (6)special occasion (4)kid-friendly (3)romantic (2)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Isabel415VIPDined on 9/13/2014Very good food and well priced. I have not been disappointed with all of the meals I have had at this Resturant. Sea bass, beef, short ribs, five spice chicken, shrimp over garlic noddles, swab, etc. all very good. Nice wine list too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice neighborhood placemaudeVIPDined on 9/10/2014I have not been to Le Soleil for many years, and was pleased to see the updated decor, particularly by the sleek and chic black wooden chairs. THe food was quite good, well prepared. We shared several dishes among 4 of us. One standout was the crusted lamb chops with soy-seared brussel sprouts. The eggplant and tofu was perfectly cooked, with the eggplant soft and flavorful, and the tofu thinly sliced and with a nice crust. But the general feel was sort of meh. Good spring rolls--not great. I thought the sauces could have been more complex or added some surprise to the dishes.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/6/2014Great spot for slightly upscale Vietnamese food. They consistently turn out delicious meals, time and time again. My personal favs: Springs roles, lotus root salad, porridge, and the shaken beef. The one point of improvement would be potentially rotating some dishes in and out to change things up a bit (as long as they are not the ones I just listed above :))Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and reasonable pricesOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/22/2014Been there several times and never get tired of there dishes. Love their sticky rice mango dessert!Special Features:
- Delicious!buggie1116Dined on 6/15/2014Excellent food- fun to share family style. The crab and garlic noodles was some of the best I've ever had.Special Features:
- Good Vietnamese foodKimmyVIPDined on 6/15/2014We always love this place. Our family goes almost one a week here. My daughter loves meat ball noodle soup and I love crab and shrimp noodles soup. BBQ beef with imperial roll soooo good and my husband always orders it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 80 reviews are from the Le Soleil reviews archive.
- Consistently excellentladybeeVIPDined on 5/18/2014Absolutely love the tumeric crepe and the seabass dish. So much so that I can't seem to get out of ordering it each time I dine here. Every time, the flavor...the presentation...the texture...the aroma...has been spot on! I can't say that for most restaurants out there, can you?Special Features:
- Good choicebadminionDined on 5/11/2014Very good food and attentive, friendly service. I'll definitely eat here again.Special Features:
- One of my favesTorontofoodieDined on 4/30/2014Always delicious and great service. I'm not from SF but I always have to come here once every time I visit!Special Features:
- Yummy VietnameseWhatsamattayouDined on 4/19/2014We always get the shaken beef, bbq pork, and portabella mushroom dishes, and they all rock. You can still get a table Saturday nights, but this is a well-priced, up-and-coming restaurant, so I'm not sure how long that's gonna last.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- le soleilsquidleyDined on 3/29/2014I recently dined at Le Soleil because of its convenient location (we were attending a concert at Temple Emanuel). Both my husband and I were pleasantly surprised by how good both the food and the service were. We particularly loved the veggie spring rolls, but the coconut lemongrass chicken soup was also fantastic as were the two entrees—tofu eggplant and spicy chicken.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood find!NatalieDined on 3/28/2014I loved Le Soleil. The staff was wonderful and gave us great service. We loved the food and the wine selections by the glass were great. The owner stopped by and talked to us as well. The Caramelized Sea Bass was wonderful as well as the Short Ribs. Yummy! This is a great neighborhood find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and reasonable pricelollipopVIPDined on 3/21/2014We must have tried everything in their menu. Got to try their crab with garlic noodle...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Vietnamese-French foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/15/2014My husband and I are foodies and we have been impressed with the delicious food at Le Soleil. This is our second time to dine here and the dishes we have tried both times have been superb. We particularly loved the Roasted Garlic crab and the Curry short ribs. The crab came with garlic noodle that has been infused with the crab drippings and unlike other garlic noodles, it was not full of butter and was cooked al dente. The short ribs were tasty and mouth-melting tender. Our dessert was the sticky black rice with mango and ice cream that was not too sweet yet very tasty. We'll keep coming back to try their other dishes.Special Features:
- The best place to eat PHoKimmyVIPDined on 2/15/2014The best place to eat PHo and BUN RIEU crab and shrimp noodle soup.
- Okay food, terrible serviceFoodieSFDined on 2/14/2014The owner was very nice and apologetic, but otherwise, service was awful. The food is heavy and fried. Wouldn't recommend to anyone.
- Great choice for Vietnamese foodMattVIPDined on 1/18/2014This restaurant is right next to B-Star Bistro, and suffers from the juxtaposition. It does not have the trendy popularity or unusual menu of B-Star Bistro, but the service is so friendly and accommodating, and the ambience is very nice, much quieter than it's neighbor. The food is very good and interesting Vietnamese food. This is a great alternative if you don't want to wait in line at B-Star Bistro!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great fried spring rollsmesscDined on 12/18/2013Pho was average but really good fried spring rolls. Quiet and peaceful foot a friendly lunch. Parking was easy for our 2 pm reservation.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood restaurantSandyVIPDined on 12/4/2013We had the imperial rolls, shaken beef and five spice chicken and all were very good. The table over had the garlic noodles and crab and it looked really good. I will be coming back to try that! The service was excellent. The wait staff was very attentive and friendly. I thought the prices were a little high compared to other Vietnamese restraurants I've dined at, but overall, the dining experience was very good and I plan to come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experience.tleeDined on 11/22/2013Total of six for dinner. Two families of three each counting one pre-K child in each family. The restaurant is not optimized for children (e.g. no kid's menu, no crayons, etc.). There were at least two other tables with young children. Summary. We really enjoyed the food. I do not understand why the lines for Burma Superstar are as long as they are and I do not understand why more people do not come to La Soleil. We had a terrific meal. Shaken Beef and Eggplant were particularly nice. Service was a bit slow after we got through dinner. Dessert seemed to take forever and when it came, the two dishes we ordered for the table came out separately - ten or so minutes apart (when you are managing two kids, this is noticeable).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The joy of over-the-top serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/18/2013The woman who served us was, without a doubt, the best either of us has ever experienced. The food was outstanding.Special Features:
- Tasty and reasonably pricedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/9/2013Good food with nice authentic and interesting favors. Everything was pleasingly plated and presented. Water glass was kept consistently filled. Server was very attentive. Fish was cooked to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always excellent!AnneDined on 11/4/2013Dinner at Le Soleil was, as always, a great treat. Our favorite dish was the carmelized sea bass, the best I have ever had. It was excellent with large, flavorful chunks that melted in your mouth. Whoever selects their wines is a connisseur and, although the list is not long, it is all-star. We chose a sauvignon blanc that was rich, fruity and like velvet on the tongue. Vietnamese coffee capped the evening. Dinner was made very special by our waitress, who was extra attentive and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty & Refined FoodBroseVIPDined on 11/3/2013The food here uses high quality ingredients, wonderful flavor profiles and presented in a sophisticated manner. Favorites include shaking beef, the miso cod and imperial rolls. The rice crispy shrimp appetizer is also interesting with a very crisp outer coating that shatters and a shrimp paste filling that contrasts well. The tea selection is also wonderful - my favorite is the jasmine tea with a lovely floral fragrance (exactly what you expect from jasmine tea) and a light flavor. If you are in this inner Richmond neighborhood, Le Soleil is a place you should seek out. We are likely to become regulars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great taste, good presentationAlexSDined on 10/23/2013Had dinner with small group of family and friends. Menu offers choices for meat, poultry, and seafood lovers as well as vegetarians. We ordered several appetizers and had beef, lamb chops,short ribs,grilled portobello, and spicy chicken coconut soup. As advertised, the menu is a fusion of French and Vietnamese cuisine and a very good at at! I've got to try all the entrees we have ordered and liked each of them, although I found caramelized lamb chops a bit dry on the outside per my taste, but the meat inside was done perfectly well. My favorite was "shaken beef": really good balance between traditional Vietnamese take and French souse. Staff is very friendly and attentive. Excellent place for a dinner and a conversation!Special Features:
- very pleasedSCDEastBayDined on 10/20/2013Niece came to run in marathon and we wanted to eat near where she was staying. Used Google search and found this place. Took a chance and was very pleased. Staff was very friendly, food excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but not romanticDrgeeseSFDined on 9/27/2013We were celebrating a birthday and this place looked perfect for a romantic dinner on a Friday evening. When we walked in we were promptly seated at a tall table as most of the regular tables were filled with families or young adult hipsters. The service was very good, the wine list was very good and the food was also very good. Unfortunately it became very loud with all the family groups. I might recommend this for couples on a weeknight, but Friday nights seem to be family night.Special Features:
- Richmond VietnameseCleoDined on 9/22/2013Great experience. Interesting combinations and really tasty. Our party of 6 all enjoyed our meals. The stand-outs were the curry short ribs, the vegetarian curry and the glazed Sea Bass.Special Features:
- First Time, Very ImpressedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/11/2013For a Sunday lunch, after walking down from Golden Gate Park and thru the farmer's market in front of the restaurant, this was a great place. The food was wonderful - get the shrimp rice krispies! crunchy outside and creamy smooth inside; beautiful presentation on skewers. Hubby had 2 bowls of the coconut chicken soup - alluring notes of 5 spices gave it that very "asian" flavor. Chef/owner came out to talk about his dishes, which as a foodie/diner, you always appreciate. We would go back to this one when we are in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delish!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/28/2013There was two of us for lunch and we ordered 4 dishes- an app, a salad, a soup noodle and a rice plate. Everything was super tasty and I wanted to order more but was too full. I must come back to try everything. Sooo good :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ho hum Vietnamese foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/23/2013Food seemed over salted. Staff were very friendly and helpful.Special Features:
- It made my Father's DayGGWCVIPDined on 6/16/2013We have been coming to Le Soleil for some time now. Food is always solid. Service is prompt and polite. As a business owner myself, I am glad to see that there are people out there that really care. It really was a finishing touch to my already great Father's Day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's back & it's GOODStarshineDined on 6/14/2013Several previous incarnations of Le Soleil struggled and failed, but we have been back to the new one three times and love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Do not recommendOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 6/14/2013The service was terrible. My party of 5 sat there for a very long time before someone took our drink order. Then we waiting another 15-20 to get our wine. The food was very good, but I won't return.
- Nice placejellykojiDined on 5/22/2013It's a good place for dinner. The crab and the set of dessert are very tasty. Also, the waitress's service is very great. always ask us what we need. definitely a good chioce of dining place.Special Features:
- What a special treat! Alljjb129VIPDined on 5/20/2013What a special treat! All the food was outstanding and the service couldn't have been more accommodating! Looking forward to a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/17/2013Everyone in our party really enjoyed their meals. I have been coming here for many years, however, and miss their less "fancy" menu and related pricing. But this is a crowd pleaser!Special Features:
- A classier VietnameseOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/12/2013A place to get nice sit down lunch with good food and great tea selection. I had the special which was the Five Spice Chicken. The dish was tasty and filling. I would recommended this place for a causal lunch or dinner with friends and family.Special Features:
- We started with the imperialOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/27/2013We started with the imperial rolls - excellent fresh, crisp. I had the clay pot and my dad had crispy noodles (gee mein). He had the better dish - tasty. I took my entree home as we shared his! I think that the entrees would be better, if you could use white meat. The dark meat is kind of fatty, tendons sometimes attached, etc. I am sure it is due to the cost. You could just use less white chicken meat as opposed to a lot of dark meat.Special Features:
- Vietnamese Gemstan43VIPDined on 4/7/2013Le Soleil specializes in excellent food, well prepares and very tasty. A neighborhood restaurant with a great kitchen.Special Features: